PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ inputting codes in manually (editing .cht)

MES Seele
17th August 2009, 05:09 AM
Normally I'd just enter cheats through the cheat pane off the program itself, however, it has a penchant of freezing/crashing whenever I attempt to add a cheat with a large number of variables. (item slot mods each w/ 100 variables)

So I jumped into the .cht file to figure it out manually. Solved most problems myself (0 and O look pretty much identical in that font). Now almost everything works properly. But once I looked into the pane to enable them, I noticed that several (3/50) did not belong in their groupings, and instead were at the top with *** before the cheat name.

I assume that it means something is wrong w/ the code, but the code itself is identical to what it should be - and it was entered with correct spacing, number amounts etc.

So, what does the *** before some codes actually mean?

HatCat
17th August 2009, 06:49 AM
The cheats system is messed up in the betas, but if you use some versions they will work.
Codes that are too long will not load/save.

What version of the beta are you using?
Adding codes will almost never work right, so use the public 1.6 version.

The three asterisks *** mean that something about the code is not right and that it will not be acknowledged by Project64, even if you enable it.
I don't know what's up with that also. Sometimes if you use the 81-- command codes they are deemed invalid by the 1.7 versions where they work with 1.6.

Just turning the 80-- codes on however should work if you adjust the version of 1.7 you use.

MES Seele
18th August 2009, 03:39 AM
I am using ver 1.7.0.10 a.

I realize that 1.6 is much more stable when using cheats, however, the game that I am working on does not function with it. lol Hiryu no Ken Densetsu only works properly w/ decent speed on 1.7 w/ the Glide 64 video plugin.

You're right about the 16bit codes not working though. Fortunately, most of the codes I made are only 8bit modifiers. So I guess for the time being no money mod for me :|

Quick question. Does the 1.7's .cht and the 1.6 .cht file share the same format? Could I just grab the section of the file and move it from one to another?

HatCat
19th August 2009, 01:49 AM
The CHT file uses the same convention for both versions.
1.7 cheats will not work back with 1.6 because they were encoded using XP64.
Their original GS versions are stored on 1.6.

MES Seele
21st August 2009, 06:08 AM
Thanks a lot for the info.