PDA

View Full Version : porting to mac?

vtor67
27th August 2009, 03:59 AM
I looked around the website and couldnt find any information about how/what language PJ64 was written with. in 1.7, since your rewriting it, would it possible to build it for a mac also? if you open source 1.7, i could take a stab at building it for mac. Sorry if this is a bad suggestion, but I never saw this idea floating around the forums anywhere (i searched)

HatCat
27th August 2009, 05:48 PM
One thing that's been questioned was open-sourcing it for others to contribute, to which no approval is given. In private discussion between some members it was completely refused.
As for porting to other OSes, the developers don't care, to openly put things for them.

The public 1.4 source of Project64 was done in C, but 1.7 source files seem to now be done in C++. 1.4 was to be the end of the project while having a lot of what is unique to this emulator even today, so just a port of version 1.4 to Macintosh isn't so far off. Unfortunately these encouragements for any other version are not given.

You would prefer to port 1.6 over 1.7; 1.7 is just a beta predisposition. If it is released, its identity would be 2.0 for many improvements and fixes, but in its beta form many things are also broken. 1.4 would be a lot better to port than beta 1.7.

MES Seele
27th August 2009, 08:38 PM
Why would you bother going through the trouble of porting it when Mac already has a program intended for just this purpose?

Seriously, just run the program through Crossover. I own both both a pc and mac and find that the mac runs it just as well if not better. (the adage 'if it's not broken, don't fix it' is fitting)

If you don't know how to set it up, there is a thread in the '1.7 issues' section where some decent instructions have been posted.

primeoj
25th October 2009, 07:56 AM
cause you might not have cross over capabilities

vtor67
31st October 2009, 04:22 AM
also, it costs $40.

does pj64 work with darwine?

XFi6
2nd November 2009, 11:58 PM
http://xs844.xs.to/xs844/09422/1255139842819796.jpg

are you going to write the intricate thread synching code required to maintain synchronisation between the RDP, RCP and RSP?

Haku2049
21st December 2015, 01:18 AM
Winebottler/Wine for Mac does not support Project 64 without a plugin loading error (which seems universal). Windows 7 + Bootcamp means no audio drivers, but it plays. I suffered a Biostar desktop RAM nightmare, so I had to move back to Mac.

Honestly, I'd be okay seeing just one version for Mac, unless updates are needed. As close to a 1 to 1 copy of what I know and love of the PC version. I'm running 10.6.8 ATM.

Original email for Project64 "Thank you for making the only PC N64 emulator I use anymore! I had RAM trouble with my Biostar desktop PC , so I went back to Mac, but Bootcamp gives no audio drivers, and WINE isn\t good enough to run most (or rather only one PC emulator I have actually runs fine with it. I get the Window for Prorject64, but it keeps dying when I try to play anything thanks to the seemingly universal plugin problem. (Apparently Wine and Windows load things differently...) I wish I could run Project64 perfectly, but on my 2.4 Ghz Core2Duo Macbook, but I can't. Can you please make a proper Mac Port (binary)?

Honestly, I suck at C++ and Java, and having to mess with source code, even just to turn it into a binary is a nightmare for me. I couldn't get one source code only option to work at all."