PDA

View Full Version : Comparison between 1.6 and 1.7

ls650_b
6th October 2008, 06:29 PM
Good day:

Yesterday I sent off my payment for v1.7 membership after some hemming and hawwing about whether I wanted to spend the $20.

Is there a comparison of v1.7 versus v1.6 to state what improvements there are? I would probably have spent my hard-earned coin earlier if I had seen such a comparison.

Thanks...

Zera
6th October 2008, 07:06 PM
1.7 is less stable than 1.6, since it's a beta. There have been a lot of changes, notably the whole core has been redone. I don't know the details, since I didn't donate (I couldn't donate even if I wanted to).

And you seem to have gotten it all wrong, the point of the donations isn't to "pay" for a new version, it's to support the people who work hard on the emulator in their limited free time. As a bonus, you get to help beta-test the new version, which is in a WIP state.

Smiff_
6th October 2008, 07:40 PM
once you are logged in you should find "Change logs" under the beta menu:
http://www.pj64-emu.com/change-logs/app-project64.exe/whats-new-since-v1.6/#zAnswerList_429
is one section you'd probably find relevant - actually theres more changes than that, i need to update a bit. that's only major core features, read the other sections for more info.. thanks.

zilmar
6th October 2008, 08:18 PM
once you are logged in you should find "Change logs" under the beta menu:
http://www.pj64-emu.com/change-logs/app-project64.exe/whats-new-since-v1.6/#zAnswerList_429
is one section you'd probably find relevant - actually theres more changes than that, i need to update a bit. that's only major core features, read the other sections for more info.. thanks.

actually the change logs are public now .. well they should be if not and I have to fix it if they do not show...

but yes we need to go through and have a good look at where the difference are to show them. The change logs are to small of a detail, need high level changes.

With all that said I will look at that more probably after the next 2 build are done. The site has got a lot more attention from me then the emu has so got to go back to work on that for a while.

Smiff_
6th October 2008, 08:25 PM
yeah i think the actual page i linked to is quite good..just added some more to it.. if i could put that at the top of app changes i would, but your component orders alphabetically?

TyberZannxxxx
6th October 2008, 08:26 PM
Increased compatibility, netplay, and 64DD support and translation will do fine. Games that I want to see running perfectly on this emulator are Star Wars Rogue Squadron, Star Wars Shadows of the Empire, Star Wars Episode I - Battle for Naboo, and Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine. Thank you!

Smiff_
6th October 2008, 08:29 PM
Increased compatibility, netplay, and 64DD support will do fine.

right well let us know when you have all those ready for us to merge in :D
edit: ok thanks for your edit.. Perfect Dark should be there (maybe already), the others are unlikely..

mudlord
6th October 2008, 08:36 PM
Perfect Dark

PD itself already runs perfectly.....:cool:

TyberZannxxxx
6th October 2008, 08:38 PM

Oh! Didn't know that!

Smiff_
6th October 2008, 08:39 PM
PD should be a lot better in 1.7 than 1.6 (IIRC all the needed effects should basically work) but i'd never call anything (especially a game as complex as PD) perfect.. there's bound to bugs left.

ls650_b
6th October 2008, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the answers. I figured there must be a page somewhere that outlined the differences in the various versions, but I hadn't managed to find it.

I look forward to trying out 1.7... :)

Smiff_
7th October 2008, 06:17 AM
actually the change logs are public now .. well they should be if not and I have to fix it if they do not show...

yes they are public.. and direct linking to items does work as long as i dont edit titles :p

squall_leonhart
7th October 2008, 06:35 PM
Games that I want to see running perfectly on this emulator are Star Wars Rogue Squadron, Star Wars Shadows of the Empire, Star Wars Episode I - Battle for Naboo, and Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine. Thank you!

Well, when you discover the custom opcodes used, let jabo know and he will see about adding them into the plugin.

Hyperchicken
8th October 2008, 05:51 AM

wheres my fish eye effect and lens flares :p

i was really happy when jabo got many PD effects working back in the day

mudlord
8th October 2008, 06:33 AM
wheres my fish eye effect and lens flares

In SW rendering mode. (which is a major difference to PJ64 1.6)

The game is emulated perfectly in software rendering, IF you have a beefy CPU (read, a highly specced dual or quad core).

In the meantime, you can use Glide64 Napalm until Jabo implements those frame/depth buffer effects in his plugin, in hardware mode. Jabo, however, develops everything by himself in his plugins (as in, ALL R&D), so don't expect code reuse from Glide64.