PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Snap

Porsche911C
7th October 2008, 03:48 AM
I'm sure everyone is painfully aware but I just thought I'd mention it again... There's still a problem with recognizing the Pokemon correctly. The little red dot doesn't light up when taking a picture and thus, picture-activated events cannot occur.

squall_leonhart
7th October 2008, 06:07 PM
Pokemon are recognised perfectly fine in the album viewer.

I've managed to get the red dot on screen using a code hack, but it was just a visual thing, it didn't make any of the events work. Its a Core issue i think,

zilmar
7th October 2008, 07:37 PM
at some stage I will look at this game ..

I want to redesign some of the self mod code .. which should also help to look at tracking of memory usage related to CFB .. so it might help the problem it might do nothing for it.

HatCat
7th October 2008, 10:11 PM
What does work is saving the picture into memory, but selecting a valid picture may require an advanced graphics plugin setting to playably register them to Professor Oak.

You're also right that some of the missing detection elements were overseen in progress. The name of the target should be at the bottom along with the icon "NEW" if it's the first instantial picture. For now in emulation the interface is constantly the same ready for a picture or not.

The only known issue that's terrible is the real camera-triggered events that happen besides registering the picture. The major one is that you can't take pictures of the signs to get to the Rainbow Cloud level, but you also can't get a very good picture of Lapras or Muk because they're lured by the photography towards you.

squall_leonhart
8th October 2008, 12:18 AM
Well, it seems to be that the game knows we have the pokemon in the center of the photo, so it knows the pokemon is there, it (the camera reticle) just isn't activating, and its not feeding back that information to the pokemon.....

Smiff_
8th October 2008, 12:36 AM
this game uses some unique methods clearly and probably jabo and zilmar will need to work on this together.. personally, i think they have higher priority things to work on for now. people might have to leave this one for another video plugin to sort out. i don't think its worth much more time.

Porsche911C
3rd December 2008, 04:25 PM
Alright. Well im looking forward to whenever it gets fixed! It's such a simple game, but it's so fun!

Porsche911C
3rd December 2008, 06:14 PM
So, I decided to post some screenshots of the issue. In the "Bad" screenshot, you'll notice that there is no red dot in the center of the reticule, the name of the Pokemon doesn't appear at the bottom of the screen, and there's this odd blue square at the top left of the screen. The "Good" screenshot is taken from GameSpot. This issue actually does affect gameplay quite a bit. Pokemon don't recognize that they've had their picture taken, making certain shots impossible to get because some events are picture activated. Also, like Iconoclast said, the Pokemon signs don't work at all.

HatCat
3rd December 2008, 11:33 PM
Perfect
That's what should happen.

Porsche911C
4th December 2008, 01:57 AM
Huh? What's what should happen?

squall_leonhart
4th December 2008, 03:01 AM
nvm Iconoclast, hes known for not making sense on occasion :P

Porsche911C
4th December 2008, 03:24 AM
Haha... Alright.

HatCat
4th December 2008, 03:30 AM
Except that took the screenshot of the correct results from somewhere else...but other than that it should happen right?

Porsche911C
4th December 2008, 06:01 PM
Here is one more small issue. Certain Pokemon have black boxes around them in the small pictures that you see when you review your pictures after a course. One example is Butterfree, and I've included some screenshots. The first one is the bad picture and it is taken from the Pokemon report. The good picture is from the gallery accessed from the title screen where you can enlarge your pictures.

HatCat
4th December 2008, 11:59 PM
Having played through all levels I noted this only happens with Butterfree. Other than that one there aren't glitches with the others?

Jabo
5th December 2008, 12:37 AM
Might not hurt to up a state for me also for this red dot business try out the software renderer see if that works better/worse

squall_leonhart
5th December 2008, 07:02 AM
Software mode does not change anything, neither does Interpreter, i've been there and tried that :)

The Black box reported on butterfree is occuring in the Software renderer, probably why it appears in the picture.

Smiff_
5th December 2008, 12:17 PM
i thought the pokemon snap support in 1.6 was only a hack anyway.. obviously, not a complete enough hack :p
edit: i doubt you can fix this on your own jabo.

Porsche911C
5th December 2008, 01:15 PM
Having played through all levels I noted this only happens with Butterfree. Other than that one there aren't glitches with the others?

Yeah, you're right. I guess Butterfree is the only one. :o

squall_leonhart
13th January 2011, 02:45 AM
i expect this might be a incomplete RCP notification issue.

HatCat
13th January 2011, 08:04 PM
Well that would go in hand with the little spoiler given at the start of the thread.

I want to redesign some of the self mod code .. which should also help to look at tracking of memory usage related to CFB .. so it might help the problem it might do nothing for it.

furryfangs
6th February 2011, 09:36 AM
I had problems with pokemon snap in the past not sure with the new beta version,"Spoiler"but when taking photo's of the sites like the rocks by the beach looks like a crab or Digglets as mountain it seem to crash after the photo's were loaded in the album viewer.
This was basically to unlock the very last location in the game itself. and it did not won't to fully function right.

Natch
6th February 2011, 06:38 PM
Don't bother taking those photos, the game doesn't recognize them anyway. What I did was to find them and jot down that I found them, then once I found them all I used a cheat to unlock the last stage.

HatCat
6th February 2011, 08:41 PM
yeah atm on pj64 only way to get to the last stage is thru memory editing

Bluelatios
16th March 2011, 12:25 AM
Hi, I'm new around here and am wondering if there are any permanent fixes for all of Pokemon Snap's problems, if the new Project64 1.7 will fix it, and what is done already. Thanks! This game is very underrated, its one of the most unique games ever and I'd really like to see it run better ^_^.

Natch
16th March 2011, 12:39 AM
Well, it seems that 1.7 has fixed the picture album for the most part, but the little red dot is very hard to emulate, so it's still being worked on, methinks.

squall_leonhart
16th March 2011, 02:14 AM
not even mame has it.

Natch
16th March 2011, 02:29 AM
What does mame have to do with this....

HatCat
16th March 2011, 03:59 PM
MAME is an accuracy-oriented project. If it wasn't for the artificial hack fix implemented at some point in pj64 this game wouldn't be responsive at all. :)

Vegeta9001
8th June 2011, 09:10 AM
I really hope someone will be able to fix this Red Dot bug someday. :)

I really wanted to play this game for nostalgia, but since i cannot have all the Pokemon or get to the last stage without cheat it kill the fun...

So i guess i will go play something else and come back here each month to see if anyone found a fix for it. :cool:

Keep the good work guys.

Natch
8th June 2011, 02:20 PM
it's not fixed yet.

c'mooooon ziiiiiiilmaaaaaaaaar :(

lawl jk take your time.

HatCat
8th June 2011, 10:01 PM
I needed a fix for it to get a picture of Muk after Grimer and another pkmn that I don't remember offhand. Other than that it's just the signs I think.

Natch
9th June 2011, 02:19 AM
Let's see, it was muk.. and.... then there's also the pikachu that rolls on teh voltorb... and.... Starmie.

HatCat
9th June 2011, 03:39 AM
Oh was it Starmie? I kept thinking that was the other one, but, damn, I kept doubting it for some reason. Was I right? Is Starmie hindered to get a picture of without a fix in Project64?

Um, you know, I think the thing with the group of Pikachu doing the thunder jolt in the Beach level might have also needed it, though I can't remember.

oh shit, Lapras...that needed the camera detection for sure XD

Natch
9th June 2011, 03:49 AM
Oh yeah, lapras.... and... uh... something else.

HatCat
9th June 2011, 09:43 PM
Well, for Mew, you can always just like, cheat, and get to the Rainbow Cloud level that way.

eww...rainbow cloud...

Natch
10th June 2011, 12:27 AM
I usually cross reference my pictures of the signs with an online guide to see if I got them all. Then I use teh haxx

HatCat
10th June 2011, 01:14 AM
Well...that's getting off-topic now. :D

You can barely take a picture of Lapras without them getting any closer and proper support for it in pj64, but Oak will only give you like, 300 points at most and tell you to piss off and take some better pictures next time, stop being a pussy and learn to move up close next time. Gets his bazooka shotgun out and stuff and chases Todd off the property like a hillbilly.

jdf335
17th April 2012, 08:46 AM
theoretically, what has to be done to fix this "Red Dot Bug"?

Natch
17th April 2012, 04:21 PM
buy an N64

jdf335
18th April 2012, 01:16 AM
buy an N64
hmmm, so its nearly impossible to program anything that can fix it?

Orgeston
8th May 2012, 06:04 PM
This is very interesting stuff, what with the red dot and all. Do you guys think you'll have this fixed in the near future?
Keep up the good work, guys! All of your hard work is much appreciated!