PDA

View Full Version : Site Features Needed

Zack
7th October 2008, 12:46 PM
There are a few slight annoyances with the current set up that are easilly addressed :)

1) Make the PJ64 logo on the forums return to the forum index not the main page.

2) Add links to "home" and "forums" on the navbar (on the forum)

3) Have a direct link to "forums" on the navbar on the main site (ie. not contained in a submenu)

4) User titles would be nice. I.e if your part of the beta tester group your custom title should be "PJ64 BetaTester" or something along those lines.

5) Can you turn on avatar uploading please?

6) Can you turn on allowing images in signatures?

That's all I can think of for now. If you need any help in doing any of these I have being running Vbulletin on my own sites for over 2 years and know enough php to get my by making edits like the ones i specified above.

If not thanks for doing it :)

zilmar
7th October 2008, 07:10 PM
some good suggestions I will try to look at doing some (maybe all) on the weekend.

HatCat
7th October 2008, 10:43 PM
First one there is no link to the forums index page in the navigation bar but just above it "Project64 Forums > (absolute location)". The logo at the top-left seems to have more to do with Project64 than the support forums.

Fourth one seems cool. I don't think it's necessary in the least; the system's default user title convention based on posts is enough information to imply whether that person can help. Whether that person is a beta tester hasn't been publicly displayed in the past, and there's nothing wrong with doing that now? Something like "Beta Support Team" would do fine since not everyone uses the beta for granted.

squall_leonhart
8th October 2008, 12:11 AM
Zilmar, if you would like, i can work on that theme i showed you.

I can make any adjustments you want.

As for user titles, Zilmar, can you enable Custom user titles?

Smiff_
8th October 2008, 12:33 AM
I wouldn't mind some indication of whether someone is a beta member or not - since i've got more time for questions from those people, naturally.

squall_leonhart
8th October 2008, 12:41 AM
I wouldn't mind some indication of whether someone is a beta member or not - since i've got more time for questions from those people, naturally.

LOL, you snooty cow! lol!

chefkoch
9th October 2008, 04:36 PM
All of zack's suggestions sounds good to me.

Regarding those:

2) Add links to "home" and "forums" on the navbar (on the forum)

3) Have a direct link to "forums" on the navbar on the main site (ie. not contained in a submenu)

What about sharing the heading for the website AND the forum, which includes:

the logo (maybe without a link)
the advertisement (which is currently only on website)
the a navigation bar (containing links to website, forum and help (manual) )

regards
chefkoch

EDIT: Sorry for posing the links, just wanted to show what i tried to explain. I didn't do this to advertise the other application. Sorry

chefkoch
9th October 2008, 05:22 PM
Yet another suggestion:

What do you think about the feature to say "Thanks" just by clicking the button.
I like it and use it very often. This could "help" preventing thousand post just saying "thx" or "great, thx".

kind regards
chefkoch

zilmar
9th October 2008, 08:17 PM
the logo (maybe without a link)
the advertisement (which is currently only on website)
the a navigation bar (containing links to website, forum and help (manual) )

Ads are defiantly going to be put in to the site.
when I put a navagation bar in that becomes easier .. I am not sure if it will be a flat bar, or a javascript drop down like the main site .. got to work that one out..

[QUOTE=chefkoch;2909]EDIT: Sorry for posing the links, just wanted to show what i tried to explain. I didn't do this to advertise the other application. Sorry

I understand, if I thought your purpose was just to get links to another site I would have deleted the whole post. I am going to be very tough on outgoing links .. want to fix up a hack that any out going link will automatically need a moderator to approve it.

Smiff_
10th October 2008, 10:17 AM
i really like chefkoch's suggestion - anything to reduce clutter = quicker to find info = more is accomplished.. is there a vBulletin addon or some code already made for this?

squall_leonhart
12th October 2008, 01:42 AM
Make the forum open in the current window/tab instead of opening a new one.

Smiff_
12th October 2008, 02:04 AM
Make the forum open in the current window/tab instead of opening a new one.

the thing i really dont like with the js menus (unlike the old red/blue site) is you cannot middle click them to open e.g. the bug tracker, forum in new tabs (unless anyone knows a way?). so i prefer it to open new tabs than have to use the address bar and fumble around looking for the right url.

squall_leonhart
12th October 2008, 04:56 AM
the thing i really dont like with the js menus (unlike the old red/blue site) is you cannot middle click them to open e.g. the bug tracker, forum in new tabs (unless anyone knows a way?). so i prefer it to open new tabs than have to use the address bar and fumble around looking for the right url.

i use tabmix plus to duplicate the page then click into it.

zilmar
12th October 2008, 06:10 AM
I changed the setting in firefox that it will open in a new tab instead of a new window ..

squall_leonhart
2nd December 2008, 07:00 PM
thats disabled in usergroup permissions, Zilmar, gent and the other admins can use avatars.

HatCat
2nd December 2008, 11:46 PM
Well so can super moderators; the only big reason admins can do it without enabling them back is an extended control panel.

Mdkcheatz
2nd December 2008, 11:54 PM
actually i wudnt mind having my avatar like in the old forum back;), shows character you know? Maybe you can only allow this for beta members to give more incentive for donations? In fact why not limit free accounts and give more user abilities, without flooding the forum, to beta members.... I think that's a fantastic idea, but obviously its up to you (administration)...

zilmar
3rd December 2008, 12:32 AM
avatars should be working? just needs to be tested.

Mdkcheatz
3rd December 2008, 12:51 AM
avatars should be working? just needs to be tested.

Tis working swell!

Mdkcheatz
3rd December 2008, 04:35 AM
woot we are all coming back togetheer again!!!wooo hooooo