PDA

View Full Version : Installation

Jamesfox849
11th October 2008, 02:46 AM
Hey, whenever i try to install project64 it gives this selection screen that says I need to direct it to the installation package ( :confused: ), but its nowhere.
My computer says that 1.6 is installed, but it won't let me Uninstall it, it gives me the same message as when i try to install it.

Jamesfox849
11th October 2008, 02:47 AM
whoops, this is in V.7 Beta, sorry, can I have help anyways?

zilmar
11th October 2008, 02:50 AM
1.7 does not have an installer ?
it is just a zip file

HatCat
11th October 2008, 02:54 AM
Sounds like you're trying to use some kind of frontend?

What's the file name of the installer file you were running?

Smiff_
11th October 2008, 03:34 AM
no, he's saying the 1.6 installer is messed up.
erm.. i can't remember what install system 1.6 uses, can someone remind me please?

sometimes installshield, or the windows installer service gets messed up, probably other packages (which use the same install system) broken also?

so its a windows problem.. in XP SP2 you can try:
rundll32 wbemupgd, UpgradeRepository

can you post a screenshot of the error and tell us which version of windows you are using?

Jamesfox849
12th October 2008, 12:40 AM
uh, no screen shot right now, but it says
the feature that you are trying to use is on a network rescource that is unavailable

Click Ok to try again or enter an alternate path to the folder containing the installation package "project64 1.6msi" in the box below

the box says: C:\DOCUME~1\user\LOCALS~1\Temp\_is1D4\

Jamesfox849
12th October 2008, 12:42 AM
oh, and windows Xp profesional

Smiff_
12th October 2008, 02:14 AM
i've never actually heard of this error with PJ64 but this should fix it (?!):

Windows Installer Cleanup Utility
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Remove any instance of Project64 from the list (IMPORTANT: Do NOT click remove all)

p.s. @others
lets switch to NSIS eh? ;)

squall_leonhart
12th October 2008, 04:58 AM
i've never actually heard of this error with PJ64 but this should fix it (?!):

Windows Installer Cleanup Utility
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Remove any instance of Project64 from the list (IMPORTANT: Do NOT click remove all)

p.s. @others
lets switch to NSIS eh? ;)

NSIS and Innosetup are both great alternatives to MSI, i use innosetup with my driver remix' and xbcd installers.

zilmar
12th October 2008, 06:07 AM
I expect it will use NSIS ..

at some stage I will look at changing the beta downloads to be a installer instead of a zip file .. but I will look at that after I have finished build 51 maybe 52.

Smiff_
12th October 2008, 07:17 AM

at some stage I will look at changing the beta downloads to be a installer instead of a zip file .. but I will look at that after I have finished build 51 maybe 52.

i agree with using an installer for the beta - and the type of error in this thread shouldnt be possible!

squall_leonhart
12th October 2008, 08:25 PM

As long as the individual builds remain uploaded as zip files, and only the main full package is what you mean :P

zilmar
12th October 2008, 08:33 PM
As long as the individual builds remain uploaded as zip files, and only the main full package is what you mean :P

Individual files are not compressed unless they are created like that.

It is just the packages which would change from a zip to an installer.

Smiff_
15th October 2008, 09:39 PM
we don't know if the utility i posted helped the topic starter?

Jamesfox849
18th October 2008, 02:53 AM
it helpes, and I was able to download it again, thanks, and great job with P64. Its the only one that works:D

Smiff_
18th October 2008, 06:12 AM
it helpes, and I was able to download it again, thanks, and great job with P64. Its the only one that works:D

awesome, if this comes up again i'll add to the FAQs somewhere.. thanks for letting us know.