PDA

View Full Version : Loading Saves in MM

flagetal
6th December 2009, 06:30 AM
Well... Whenever I try to load my save for Majora's Mask, it just loads the file selection screen with one file with nothing done whatsoever. But when I uninstall P64 and reinstall it again, and try to load the save state, it loads the last save state I had, just like it should. I have no idea why this happens. Could anybody could help me? It gets really annoying having to uninstall and reinstall constantly just to play this game. And just so you know, I didn't screw with any of the settings or anything, so it wasn't something I did. Is it the ROM or what? I really have no idea. And just so you know, it only does this for MM. Let me know if you can help, please.

HatCat
6th December 2009, 02:27 PM
Well... Whenever I try to load my save for Majora's Mask,

Is that also a save state, or is it the FlashRAM FLA save file instead?
The other times in your post you said "save state"; this time you said "save".

flagetal
7th December 2009, 12:53 AM
If I just load the ROM normally, without loading the save state, it starts normally and brings me to the file selection screen with one file with nothing done. It does retain the name I put in, but seems to think that all I have done with the game is create a file. When I load the state, it takes me right to the file selection screen with nothing done on it again. Neither load the data I want it to. Does that clear it up?

HatCat
7th December 2009, 12:59 AM
You don't have to use the save state.

The reason your progress isn't saved automatically to your native save (that's automatically loaded when you start the game without any save states) is because Zelda MM has a narrowed set of times where saving is done automatically per file.

To save your progress manually, without using save states, (Though load the save state first so that you have the progress to transfer to your automatic save.) either play the Song of Time, use an owl statue, or finish the game.

There are also other ways to save your progress manually besides those three, but um, that stuff's arbitrary to go over. Things like enter Clock Town for the very first time / when the silver doors shut behind you, etc.

flagetal
7th December 2009, 01:32 AM
The only problem is that I'm fairly halfway through the game, and have played the song of time/ owl statued quite a few times, and neither of those are doing anything.

HatCat
7th December 2009, 03:19 AM
After saving through those methods, once you have reset emulation (closed Project64 or w/e), the FlashRAM save is written to.

If that's not the case for you, maybe your save directory or some of its contents have been denied write permissions, maybe there is a bad RDB configuration forcing an incorrect save format setting, etc. Slowly we can try to go over possibilities like that.

flagetal
7th December 2009, 04:12 AM
Looking in my saves folder, all of them are in .fla or .pj format for MM. I'm fairly sure it's not getting denied write permission, as all of my saves are present. If you get any information from this, let me know what to do please. And thanks for your time and effort.

HatCat
7th December 2009, 08:14 AM
The fact they exist means they were able to be created, but check the date they were last modified.

So restore your progress in MM via a save state, then play the Song of Time, wait for the whole cinema to finish until it says "Dawn of the First Day" before closing Project64, and the FLA save file should have been updated as of shortly after your closing the program.

So you said also that the owl statue hasn't worked? This time, without closing the emulator at all? Right after confirming save via an owl statue, the game should go back to the intro scene. Don't terminate emulation in any way; just press START again to go to File Select. Since you just got done saving via owl statue without resetting anything, the game should have internally preserved your progress for export to FLA later.
If still, after that, you get no updates, you almost surely have a bad copy of the game that's not indexing data to write from properly.

flagetal
7th December 2009, 10:46 PM
I tried downloading another ROM for MM, and this one kept the save data I had after me closing it without me having to uninstall and reinstall. This means it probably is some fault in the ROM that I have.

I don't know if this is possible, but is there a way to convert the saves for "Legend of Zelda, The - Majoras Mask (E) (M4) [!]" to
"Legend of Zelda, "The - Majoras Mask (U) [!]"? They are obviously the same game, but one is the European version and one is the U.S. version. If it can be done, it would be great if you could tell me how, but if not, I can live with uninstalling and reinstalling. At least now I know to use the right version of ROMs.

HatCat
7th December 2009, 10:59 PM
That conversion takes examination.

If you send me your current save state (maybe through a private message or upload here), I'll take a look at translating the storage.

I mean since different regions of different games have added and removed various things (e.g. languages, changed textures, localization changes), there is always some dynamic offset of some sort that can probably be figured out.
With what I have, I'm pretty sure I can give you what you want, in turn, in a shorter time.

flagetal
7th December 2009, 11:21 PM
I'm pretty sure I uploaded it correctly.

Not to be rude, but how quickly would you be able to convert the save? The only reason this matters is because I wouldn't want to load a save that isn't as far in the game as the one I'm currently using and playing, as the one I sent you will be quickly outdated as soon as I start playing again. If it does take some time, I'm fine going back to the save I sent you, I was just curious to see if I wouldn't have to wait long before going back to playing the game so I don't waste time playing on a save soon to be succeeded by the converted one.

Once again, thanks for all of the time and trouble you're going through to help me with this issue.

HatCat
7th December 2009, 11:42 PM
Okay, this will work good.

This will not take me long. Check here within the next hour or two, and I will almost certainly have it done.

In the meantime, will you remove those links to the download site? It's an issue with respect for copyright law, but I have the links copied so that I can see the MD5 hashes (printed above any links for download). So thanks for that.

flagetal
7th December 2009, 11:58 PM
Sorry to trouble you with this too, but when you have the conversion finished, all I need to do is replace the save state file I have right now with the converted one, right? If there's something else I need to do let me know when you have it converted. I know I've said it enough times, but thanks again.

HatCat
8th December 2009, 12:31 AM
Yep that would work.

So actually in this case, the fastest way to convert it would be to load the save state and recreate it in the ported area to the (U) version.

In this case, looking at binary shifting isn't too much slower, though. You're at the base level of Pinnacle Rock, and to recreate would mean saving at a less convenient location for you. In the amount of time that you would have liked, I can't give you an exact save state conversion, but I can give you something better.

I have a better solution or maybe two. I want you to keep playing with your current setup until you're done with Pinnacle Rock (or whenever you like me to convert). Then send me that save state, and what I'll do is actually save via an owl statue and send the FLA FlashRAM save to you. This will transfer safely for either the USA or Europe version, whichever you use.

I know this will work because I just tried saving manually from your state, and it wrote to the native FlashRAM correctly. I also noticed that the MD5 of your image matches mine...so it looks like a bad ROM is not the issue here. You probably have a bad Project64.rdb file misinforming on the FlashRAM method.

So I have an equivalent solution that solves what you had in mind. Unless you're done with Pinnacle Rock right now (which technically you aren't though if you feel you have everything you want from there), just keep playing before I can send the native save to you.

flagetal
8th December 2009, 01:36 AM
Ok, here is the new save state. Sorry for being a little late about it.

HatCat
8th December 2009, 01:50 AM
And here is the FlashRAM save with your progress converted. I have tested it, and it will load on the (E) and (U) versions.

Rename the complete file name to "ZELDA MAJORA'S MASK.fla"; in other words replace the file by that name in your save directory.

flagetal
8th December 2009, 02:45 AM
I went to notepad and resaved it in .fla format and put it in the saves folder, but I still get the same one file with no progress...

flagetal
8th December 2009, 03:54 AM
Also, when I try to go back and save via owl, when it takes me to the main screen again, the owl saved file doesn't show up. In fact, no files show up.

HatCat
8th December 2009, 07:33 AM
No, don't rewrite it in Notepad.

Just rename the file to "ZELDA MAJORA'S MASK" and the extension from "fla.txt" to just "fla".
Re-install the file as I uploaded it, but don't save using Notepad.

I customized the extension so that attachment to the site would be allowed.

If you save it with Notepad you'll completely ruin the data; that's why your save is blank.

flagetal
8th December 2009, 10:02 PM
I did what you said this time and put it directly in to the saves folder. Yet again, the file only shows one file with nothing done. Is the file you sent me supposed to still be a text document? I renamed it to what you said but I saw no improvements.

I have no idea what could be happening at this point, could it be a compatibility issue with my OS? I have Windows 7 but I don't really think that's the problem.

The (U) version loaded the save you sent to me with some graphical errors, but froze when I got high enough in pinnacle rock. If I somehow managed to be able to get to an owl statue like that, do you think the game would write itself a FLA save? I already sent you the save state of me right next to an owl statue, maybe if you converted it I could save via owl and the game would write the FLA save.

I'm not sure at all about this, but if you need any more saves or anything else from me, let me know.

HatCat
8th December 2009, 11:37 PM
If you renamed it correctly, there should have been an existing file and replace confirm message, since what you're doing essentially is replacing your old .FLA save file in that folder.

EDIT, to your modified post,
"Yet again, the file only shows one file with nothing done."
In that case, it's clear you didn't install the updated save correctly. Again I'm still sorry to have caused this confusion.

Is the file you sent me supposed to still be a text document?

The format is FlashRAM convention. There is no suitable text format applicable to this file, so it has little to nothing to do with text applications.

I have no idea what could be happening at this point, could it be a compatibility issue with my OS?

Don't worry about that.

The (U) version loaded the save you sent to me with some graphical errors, but froze when I got high enough in pinnacle rock. If I somehow managed to be able to get to an owl statue like that, do you think the game would write itself a FLA save? I already sent you the save state of me right next to an owl statue, maybe if you converted it I could save via owl and the game would write the FLA save. I'm not sure at all about this, but if you need any more saves or anything else from me, let me know.

If you check the folder for saves there should already have been an FLA save written by yourself, even if you've never played the Song of Time, used an owl statue, or even created a file before. (Just the file select screen begins with some default misc settings if there is no data.) This is the file to be replaced.

FlashRAM format doesn't store data that's directly related to graphics issues or getting crashes, so something else is going on.

Maybe the download is still corrupted. I'm sorry to have caused that confusion with the file name as well as for the continued waiting I have caused you.
First I'll re-upload the FLA save here. If you need to I'll try to just send a save state that only works for the (U) region version.

http://www.filesend.net/download.php?f=0e2de92ce6200a5da5dd68f06d4631cb
For some reason the owl save appeared for me on both (E) and (U) versions of the game, so since we have the exact same copies, something else is interfering if you installed the unmodified file correctly.

flagetal
8th December 2009, 11:52 PM
Thanks a lot! I managed to finally load the owl save. It appears that I needed to uninstall and reinstall P64 to get the owl save to appear on my file selection screen. At least it finally worked.

I'm surprised and very grateful that somebody would spend as much time and effort as you did to help a complete stranger. I can't thank you enough.

HatCat
8th December 2009, 11:57 PM
I'm willing to bet it was the RDB config. It's a good thing you thought in advance to my slow process and decided to reinstall.

In my past I remember as you do, how great it felt to fix glitches I was having when replaying the games. I'm glad this all paid off for us; I'm just a bit guilty that I didn't take my time to get more to the point.