PDA

View Full Version : About my FPS and "VI/S"

Iconic
13th December 2009, 03:27 AM
Hey, I just got pj1.7 but I have little experience with the 1.6 emulator. Anyway, I never took the time to find out how to reduce my latency as much as possible. I know there are TONS of options to change things many of which make me feel noob because I have no idea what they are. Please specify the most optimal for me ^^. Also whats "normal" Vi/s and the Audio in game seems really crackley for me.

(I can provide computer specs if you ask)

HatCat
13th December 2009, 03:33 AM
VI/s is the emulated rate of speed, in vertical interrupts per second.
A vertical interrupt is the row-by-row refresh of pixels drawn on the emulated screen.

Project64 was designed by the belief of the common user population not wanting to tweak settings, so it is set with secure defaults. There aren't really any specific settings you should change based on the exact design of your system specs as far as I am aware; the importance of these settings is relevant to the target N64 system that's being emulated. They're usually only relevant to your system as to what you set them to if you have slow speeds or low- or high- end hardware.

It is, though, important to change the settings yourself when you experience any issues, like glitches in games. If you see performance is doing great, your system apparently can handle the default design in Project64. Most of the basic settings don't really affect emulation anyway.

Iconic
13th December 2009, 03:42 AM
Yeah I figured that but I wasn't sure if there was anything special I could do. I don't really experience lag issues I think that I think I do when I hear the music cracking up. I'll mess around with the settings. Thanks for the help :D

EDIT: The "buffer size" when turned down makes it worse. It can't go up though :X

HatCat
13th December 2009, 03:45 AM
I forgot, for the music crackling, you can either install a different audio plug-in that handles non-sync sound better, or just set up the current one.

Try first Options/Configure Controller Plugin..., and use the "Sync Game to Audio" option.
That applies when using Jabo's DirectSound for the sound plug-in though not zilmar's audio or the core configuration for the buffer size.