PDA

View Full Version : How to fix Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon

redwings1212
18th October 2008, 06:46 PM
When I try to play Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon it lags so bad I cant play. in project 64 it says it has a plugin issue video (slow) and when I try to fix it in romcenter it shows up as gray meaning its not supported by the emulator? help please

HatCat
18th October 2008, 07:27 PM
No graphics plugin currently is what you want, but you can still see the correct result on Project64.

Install Rice's Video Plugin 5.9.9 by extracting RiceVideo5.9.9.dll to "Project64\PLUGIN". That file is attached to a post in this thread.
http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=25294

The plugin needs a text file to return what settings to use for games. Instead of extracting the INI file Rice supplied I want you to use my attachment here.

When the plugin is installed initialize it through:
Options > Settings...

redwings1212
18th October 2008, 08:20 PM
I extracted the .dll to the /plugin folder is that were you extract the txt file to also? and then just chose rice's plugin from the settings menu?

HatCat
18th October 2008, 08:22 PM
Project64 checks that folder. In that folder the DLL file will look for RiceVideo5.9.9.ini as opposed to *.txt, but to attach that file I renamed it. Rename the extension back to INI.

After that do as you described. Change the graphics plugin to Rice's Video Plugin. If you get errors reply again.

squall_leonhart
18th October 2008, 10:33 PM
This game suffers by not drawing the sky in HLE, or due to the sky being rather complex to emulate, the hit decreases on more recent hardware.

redwings1212
19th October 2008, 07:50 PM
ok the horrible slow down is fixed but now the game randomly crashes is there a certain setting for the video plugin i should enable or disable?

HatCat
19th October 2008, 08:03 PM
I didn't expect crashes. I think that's outside the plugin.

Please give the exact messages from the errors on crash.

dlsmd
21st October 2008, 01:59 AM
No graphics plugin currently is what you want, but you can still see the correct result on Project64.

Install Rice's Video Plugin 5.9.9 by extracting RiceVideo5.9.9.dll to "Project64\PLUGIN". That file is attached to a post in this thread.
http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=25294

The plugin needs a text file to return what settings to use for games. Instead of extracting the INI file Rice supplied I want you to use my attachment here.

When the plugin is installed initialize it through:
Options > Settings...

here is the home page with the latest update vr 6.1.4

https://ricevideo.bountysource.com/

squall_leonhart
21st October 2008, 08:00 AM
iconoclast knows where to get it lol.

HatCat
23rd October 2008, 01:05 AM
I don't want 6.1.4. :D :D

I use 6.1.0. :) Back then when I was writing the settings text file for mudlord's work on the plugin I couldn't install the latest version due to user priveleges...now that that's resolved I'm not concerned anymore. :)

Notshane
19th September 2009, 12:56 AM
it works great my game stopped lagging thanks for the Rice Plugin

HatCat
19th September 2009, 01:56 AM
I sure saw my download count for the attachment go up, but after all the views on this thread I witness, it looked like there were more problems.

Since there were only a few games that the 5.9.9 version played decently or better I spent many hours perfecting.

You guys can also use this INI for some improvements over 6.1.0+ in the other region versions, the other Goemon game, Star Wars SotE, and Virtual Chess 64.

RchUncleSkeleton
24th September 2009, 05:52 AM
I have played the game with hardly any lag at all with the default plugin on pj64 1.6 on my laptop(and it's not terribly new, it's a dell e1505 1.8ghz with 1gb ram and intel graphics). Not sure if this is the norm but I've played it several times with very little to no lag.

squall_leonhart
24th September 2009, 06:10 AM
I have played the game with hardly any lag at all with the default plugin on pj64 1.6 on my laptop(and it's not terribly new, it's a dell e1505 1.8ghz with 1gb ram and intel graphics). Not sure if this is the norm but I've played it several times with very little to no lag.

maybe your thinking of the other goemon game...... but theres no way in hell you'd get mystical ninja to run lag free.

RchUncleSkeleton
24th September 2009, 06:26 AM
maybe your thinking of the other goemon game...... but theres no way in hell you'd get mystical ninja to run lag free.

Ummm....no I can play Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon pretty much lag free, on my old desktop there was a lot of lag but not on my laptop, I am sure it's the game as I can also play Goemon's Great Adventure fine also.

Here's a video I made using FRAPS showing the game running in project64 1.6(updated RDB) using default settings, with very little to no lag, check it out if you don't believe me, this is proof the game can be played without lag. Here's the video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEajBYtN59g

HatCat
24th September 2009, 11:40 AM
What if you render the game with OpenGL?

One quick way to set a combination up to experiment with that, is just to install Mupen64, start the game and see.
http://mupen64.emulation64.com/

squall_leonhart
24th September 2009, 06:30 PM
Not possible -_-
the lag occurs on all hardware due to a not properly emulated sky box.

RchUncleSkeleton
24th September 2009, 07:28 PM
well did you watch my video of the game being played with very little lag? most of the lag that did occur was from the capture software running at the same time as it didn't occur during normal gameplay.

HatCat
24th September 2009, 10:44 PM
Not possible -_-
the lag occurs on all hardware due to a not properly emulated sky box.

Not entirely, there was some coincidence of reports over at Glide64 forum with an older version where Glide64 could play the game without the speed lags on certain ATI cards

!Padger!
13th October 2009, 01:14 PM
Has anyone encountered a problem with the sound (certain sounds have just disapeered) once you fix the lag and if so does anyone know how to fix it in project 64 ? Any help would be useful thanks :)

HatCat
13th October 2009, 02:37 PM
Use OpenGL mode, or don't use Project64.

!Padger!
13th October 2009, 09:49 PM
Use OpenGL mode, or don't use Project64.

How do i enable openGL mode ? (sorry i know i must sound stupid)

HatCat
14th October 2009, 12:41 AM
Check configuration for graphics plug-in to see if there is a way.
If there isn't, you are not using the settings this thread gives.

jubejust
20th May 2010, 02:06 AM
hey ... still didn't solve the problem for goemans great adventure during the water scene ... anyone have any solutions at all?

HatCat
20th May 2010, 03:04 PM
You'll need to tell what water scene you're referring to. Leave instructions on how to get there or a save state for Project64 to instantly go there for someone who isn't familiar with the game.

If you do that I'll answer your report.

pikoko
11th January 2011, 10:23 PM
will the 5.9.9 ini work with rice 6.1.4? I assume I just rename it to RiceVideo6.1.0.ini since that's what 6.1.4 came with. Thanks for the custom settings, Iconoclast! Mystical Ninja is a great game.

HatCat
11th January 2011, 10:28 PM
All of the configuration defined in the RiceVideo5.9.9 INI I uploaded is also supported by Rice's Video Plugin 6 and later, but RiceVideo6.1.0 and ongoing had the faster_loading_tiles algorithm changed significantly to the point where it no longer corrects the slow speed with the skybox rendering in this game.

Thus unfortunately only Rice's Video Plugin 5.9.9 and earlier won't have the tremendous slow down in speed.

Yeah, thanks. It's been a few years since I was making a corrective INI database for RiceVideo6 for games like this.

mariomaciel
1st August 2012, 04:04 PM
I tried running this game on DirectX but I always get frame rate issues on the cutscenes. When I changed to OpenGL It ran GREAT. But When I switched to Full Screen, the game would be off center, with a weird resolution and unplayable. Any fix for that?
I,m Using a Core i7, 16Gb Ram, Geforce 650GTm. I know I have plenty of power for that. But When I'm on DirectX It lags on Cutscenes, and on OpenGL I can't play on Fullscreen.

HatCat
24th September 2012, 04:31 AM
Sorry to be so late. I probably should have been more responsible since I gave the attachment in the second post.

If you use that attachment it will not have the problem you are describing with DirectX.
The INI file has all the predefined configurations necessary where you're testing.

As for OpenGL, I can't support that because the plugin has been known to be tremendously buggy with OpenGL and was originally written as Daedalus Direct3D and later Rice's Daedalus Direct3D. For Rice plugins any OpenGL support is risky to be playing games with, so with few exceptions better just to stick to DirectX.

chunkydude
20th July 2013, 06:34 PM
i cant get rice to show up in the settings, and im pretty sure ive done everything right, any ideas on wats wrong?

Jaccorcam
22nd October 2013, 03:48 PM
I downloaded Rice's plugin and it works great the game is much smoother. But now the hud at the bottom seems to have a mirror going straight down the middle (from left to right). It's not affecting my gameplay, but it would be nicer if that were normal too. Any ideas? Also, I'm not very computer literate so laymans terms please :)

Rasalom
11th May 2014, 04:40 PM
I downloaded Rice's plugin and it works great the game is much smoother. But now the hud at the bottom seems to have a mirror going straight down the middle (from left to right). It's not affecting my gameplay, but it would be nicer if that were normal too. Any ideas? Also, I'm not very computer literate so laymans terms please :)

With Rice plugin using OpenGL and the game running:
Select options
Select Configure Graphics Option
In the tab: General Options, uncheck "hide advanced options"
Then go to Current Game Options and check "Alternative Texture Size Calculation"

That fixed the mirror issue for me in Goemon, and I was able to get into the room that wouldn't load\black screen in Ghost Toy Castle.

the_randomizer
14th May 2014, 07:25 AM
Glide 64 Napalm works far better for this game.

bostano
30th September 2014, 03:13 PM
I've tried Rice's plugin in both DirectX and OpenGL - DX has sound issues and runs smoothly, OpenGL sounds fine but has buggy gfx.

Is there a way to fix the sound issue while running DX?

Thanks.

HatCat
30th September 2014, 07:04 PM
No there isn't. Something about the Daedalus graphics engine caused threading issues that screwed up audio for some games when using Direct3D on emulators that handle threads the way pj64 does...this odd bug persistent to this day in Rice's Video Plugin 6.1.x.

Only OpenGL render mode seems to fix it, but was quite incomplete.

RPGMaster
30th September 2014, 07:27 PM
I've tried Rice's plugin in both DirectX and OpenGL - DX has sound issues and runs smoothly, OpenGL sounds fine but has buggy gfx.

Is there a way to fix the sound issue while running DX?

Thanks.Have you tried different emulators? I know the DX version of rice had a bug that only happened on pj64.

RudyC3
17th May 2015, 07:24 AM
Resurrecting an old thread here, but I'm running into issues trying to emulate this game as well, and been running on various forum threads and config recommendations already. To be precise, my problem happens running on older hardware. On my newer laptop, a quad core i7 capable of turbo boosting to 3.2Ghz, I am having no issues whatsoever running it with Glide64 Final with no speed hit, my problem occurs on older hardware.

I'm turning an old Pentium4 3.2 Ghz powered dekstop PC into a hyperspin powered arcade cabinet hardware, and for the N64 side of things, could run every game smoothly so far, except this one. Since Hyperspin lets me setup a different emulator for each game, and using emulators that let me have "per-game" plugin settings, I can get good results on most games so far. Going alphabetically, I'm now at the letter G with the japanese version of this game, tried downloading Rice's plugin, turned on faster loading tiles since I had already read about the issue before, and I'm still running into problems as follows :

1. The game suffers from frequent crashes.
2. The game lacks audio channels on Project 64, no matter what combination of audio plugins/RSP plugins/Rice variants I use with faster loading tiles enabled (EDIT : haven't tried with OpenGL turned on yet though, will have to try it out when I get back home later). It DOES NOT lack audio on 1964, using Azimer's HLE audio v0.56 WIP 2, but does so using Jabo's Direct sound 1.6.1, so I guess it's just Rice's graphics not liking anything from Project 64 on anything else than 1964.
3. On versions of Rice's plugin above 5.9.9 I have a weird glitch occuring on trees on Kai's Highway, where they seem to, sorry for the lack of another word, tremble, or shiver or whatever. On 5.9.9, there are very minor polygon warping in places, like when the camera moves around, I can sometimes briefly see through the ground or house walls, stuff like that.

I just read the whole thread, had the mirroring texture issue, but now it's gone thanks to using the trick written above, but does anyone know why it crashes suddenly like that? I get no error or anything, it just crashes the emulator. It's a shame that, being one of my all-time favourite N64 games, still not on the Wii or Wii U VC and I don't want to have to replay on my old N64 and deal with muddy low res graphics anymore, I can't play it on the one machine I want to keep dedicated to all my N64, NES, SNES, and what-have-you cravings up to ps1/n64 era for consoles and GBA era for handhelds, which in the end won't have any windows appearing on screen and will boot everything from my hyperspin menu without needing tinkering with anymore, everything being hidden inside a cabinet and having the original controller ports integrated on it (being usb adapters hidden inside the cabinet) as well as built-in arcade controls to control the whole thing.

So, has anyone perhaps figured out something that I haven't for Mystical Ninja/Ganbare Goemon? Or am I stuck having to play just this one particular game on my laptop forever? All other N64 games so far, i could find some workaround to get them to run smoothly on my older machine. I know this is an old thread, and a very old problem that does not occur anymore on more recent, more powerful hardware, but maybe, just maybe, someone out there found something else in all those years. Many thanks in advance.

RPGMaster
17th May 2015, 09:06 AM
Maybe you can try different versions of 1964 Video. I never really played this game, aside from testing the audio in the intro.

As for the audio problem, I think it's best to just use 1964 1.1 or w/e, if the best video plugin for you, causes issues with audio.

Interesting thing is that Nemu Video also has this audio issue with PJ64. I may try investigating and seeing what's causing the audio issue.

RudyC3
17th May 2015, 10:41 AM
I tried just about every version on 1964 video I had in my hands (about 10, since I juggle a lot while setting my machine with different emus and plugins for each game) and the 5.9.9 by Rice still seems the most stable (although for some reason it doesn't retain my anti-aliasing setting, it sets back to zero every time, but keeps my other settings the way I set them).

Well I'm ready to accept that until I upgrade my rig inside my cabinet, I might not be able to run this game properly (cause on my laptop, it runs perfectly fine), was just wondering if anybody had a trick up their sleeve to avoid the game crashing, that I could use.

And yup, it seems to me that anything 1964 video or caled "rice" something causes the exact same audio issue everywhere, EXCEPT in 1964 when not using Jabo's audio plugin. Azimer's doesn't have the audio channels missing. I was thinking something must be going on in the way that the emu running rice communicates information with the plugin above it or something, which must be different between 1964, mupen, pj64, etc. Jabo's sound plugin 1.6.1 (from pj64) inside 1964 using rice causes the same issue. It's really weird.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait till I get a PC capable of emulating even more modern machines, like my laptop is, until I can finally replay Mystical Ninja completely in HD. It's a really good adventure game too, with one of the most awesome soundtrack on the system, hence why the audio problem bothers me.

EDIT: the audio problem is fairly easy to spot, there's a sound effect supposed to be played when the screen background turns white at the konami logo, if the SFX isn't played, then the audio issue is present, no need to run the game any further.

EDIT2: the bottom line is, on less capable harware, the best result I get in general is in 1964 for this game, using 5.9.9 Rice for video and Azimer's HLE Audio V0.56 WIP2, with faster loading tiles checked and alternative texture size calculation. The only problems I have left then are the infrequent crashes (sometimes don't occur at all) and the aforementioned weird polygon not being displayed properly as you move through the environment. I took a screenshot to show what I mean by that :

http://s8.postimg.org/nseaxch5x/goemon_polygon_warping.jpg

The wall is supposed to be the way it is on the left of the door, but part of the ground on the right is missing, almost like the wall is being drawn on top of the polygons of the floor, like a z buffer issue or something, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to clearly identify what the issue is and don't know what option would fix it.

Clements
17th May 2015, 05:49 PM
Rice's video was one of the first plugins to run the game to a playable level, and even then, a couple of bugs still persisted (even after plugin tweaks mentioned in the thread). I don't recall the plugin ever emulating the game without any bugs. I can't remember the exact version which worked best, but it was one of the earlier versions (perhaps 5.2.0? It was called Rice's Daedalus back then). Later versions broke the game. I remember testing each version as they were released by Rice with this game, since this was the only game I cared about that worked best with it.

HatCat
17th May 2015, 08:19 PM
The way I remember it, the best setup using a Rice version seemed to be with the 5.9.9 INI I decided for RiceVideo 5.9.9 that I attached somewhere at:
http://forum.pj64-emu.com/showthread.php?t=141

RudyC3
18th May 2015, 12:17 AM
The way I remember it, the best setup using a Rice version seemed to be with the 5.9.9 INI I decided for RiceVideo 5.9.9 that I attached somewhere at: *can't quote link cause I'm too new*
Just gave that a quick try and unfortunately that caused more graphical glitches for me than my own settings. Same weird polygons disappearing, but more corrupted textures in places (garbled pixels in all colours instead of the actual texture), namely the menus, on on certain trees in the intro sequence as well as within the game (the edge of the cherry blossoms had an ugly green outline). I think I'll stick to my own old ini for now :p.

HatCat
18th May 2015, 12:38 AM
Wasn't talking to you, was mostly responding about a problem with playability the game had due to the skybox rendering. Any other graphical fixes to the game were from other people who posted add-ons to the config I posted; I never pay attention to them because I don't actually play the game in-depth.

Anything beyond that point in the game (like 2008 last I tested?) revolving around depth buffer triangles etc. people needed to work out their own settings, because I don't play this game, just tested what was optimal up to the point of starting.

RudyC3
18th May 2015, 12:53 AM
Rice's video was one of the first plugins to run the game to a playable level, and even then, a couple of bugs still persisted (even after plugin tweaks mentioned in the thread). I don't recall the plugin ever emulating the game without any bugs. I can't remember the exact version which worked best, but it was one of the earlier versions (perhaps 5.2.0? It was called Rice's Daedalus back then). Later versions broke the game. I remember testing each version as they were released by Rice with this game, since this was the only game I cared about that worked best with it.
I did remember trying out some older versions, yeaaaaars ago, namely with 5.2.0, so just went back and tried that, as well as an old 5.4.2 version I had lying around on an old backup CD from around that time. The 5.2.0 renders garbage on newer graphics card, and apparently this is an issue that was fixed later by adding an option called software clipper which is present in the 5.4.2 version of Rice Daedalus that I had. Placing the FastLoadTile option in the ini and ticking the software clipper box in the option window makes the game run well, no polygon warping here and there buuuuuut naturally there had to be another weird problem, with some textures in places not displaying correctly instead. It's not as annoying of a problem as in the 5.9.9 version but still... also the game still keeps crashing sometimes after just a few seconds, and other times I can play the game just fine without any signs of it crashing soon. Weird.

HatCat
18th May 2015, 12:56 AM
The way I remember it, the best setup using a Rice version seemed to be with the 5.9.9 INI I decided for RiceVideo 5.9.9 that I attached somewhere at:
http://forum.pj64-emu.com/showthread.php?t=141

holy shit i just realized i linked to the thread i'm already reading. my how new posts fly by on this board :3

RudyC3
18th May 2015, 01:10 AM
And this is what I mean by weird textures. I seems to happen when a texture, on the real console, or rather polygons, get darker depending on the angle they are relative to the camera, you can see that happening a lot in earlier N64 games (Super Mario 64 had LOTS of that !), I don't how that's called, and I remember from the real console that it did happen in Mystical Ninja as well in a lot of places. It's like the emulator has pain reproducing the effect, or rather that specific version of the plugin. Does anyone know what setting I should be looking for to fix such a problem?

http://s24.postimg.org/bz84nksp1/Goemon_warping_textures_1.png

http://s29.postimg.org/3pf9icgxj/goemon_warping_textures_2.png

Clements
18th May 2015, 05:56 PM
I think the above is about the best I ever had it with Rice.

RudyC3
19th May 2015, 09:42 AM
Yeah, I've put in a good 3 to 4 hours on two days to test out multiple emulator/plugin combinations, with a while bunch of different settings, that's as good as i can run it on old hardware. On better hardware, just pop it in Mupen with Glide64 and Zimer's for audio and it runs like a charm, no crashes, no visual glitches, just perfect. It just requires more processing power that the machine I was attempting on could give.

Notshane
17th September 2015, 11:01 AM
Hey, someone is actually discussing the emulation problems with Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon! Pretty late bump, I know. Then again, this is the first time I have used this forum in six years. Almost six years exact, to be precise.

So, I have the most recent Project 64, 2.2.0.3, and Goemon runs okay for the most part. But, even with Glide64 built-in, the game crashes after the skybox turns black. And, this really bugs me, because I want to play this.

So, now eight years later, can someone clarify to me if Project 64 finally has a decent plugin that can run this freaking game already? I know one Goemon is on the Wii U, but I am, sadly, not getting my hopes up again.