PDA

View Full Version : Native Render

Truth Unknown
19th October 2008, 06:59 AM
Is it possible to have a option to render the Video in its native output? In the same way as pSX but still using hardware to render.

squall_leonhart
19th October 2008, 08:01 AM
Disable HLE graphics.

Truth Unknown
20th October 2008, 12:16 PM
Not exactly the answer I wanted, its defiantly not the wrong answer. I was looking toward the graphical halfway point of HLE and LLE, say it's HLE but only using what the console was capable of. Bilinear filtering, mip-map levels and rendered resolution, say the game uses 320x240 in the main portion of the game and 640x480 for menus or "Hi-Res" modes. Instead of selecting the display resolution to match, just have the emulator switch render resolutions.

Not really a necessarily a needed feature, but kinda an interesting one, I guess.

ShadowFX
20th October 2008, 05:18 PM
Not really a necessarily a needed feature, but kinda an interesting one, I guess.
I've tried asking this already, in a way. I don't think it's really the focus of this project as far as I could gather. It could change maybe... you never know.

zilmar
20th October 2008, 07:26 PM
say the game uses 320x240 in the main portion of the game and 640x480 for menus or "Hi-Res" modes. Instead of selecting the display resolution to match, just have the emulator switch render resolutions.

I am sure at some point we had an option for auto which matched the native screen res ... might not of ever been in a public version tho. 99% of the time the native screen res is 320x240.

there is also the option for software render .. which might be more closer to what your after. There was also LLE projects, but I am not sure if that is what you were meaning.

HatCat
23rd October 2008, 01:00 AM
Dynamic resolution support was temporarily dropped in the beta graphics plugin. For now Jabo's Direct3D 1.6 and Glide64 are two plugins that switch internal resolutions. More than one percent of games do use resolutions in 640x480 display mode...in fact over half of VC64 is like that. The Star Wars games and less popular ones are the usual cases.

Smiff_
31st October 2008, 05:30 PM
pj64 1.7 allows both
low level emulation with hardware renderer (use low level graphics option in app)
high level emulation with software renderer (use option in video plugin, i think its available?)
the problem is neither are good or complete
(btw you cant emulate bilinear filtering on a cpu, without some sort of breakthrough in optimisation iirc) its just too much work.
resolution support is never something we've had accurate.. i would just set it to 320x240 and leave it on hle, its mostly accurate enough and runs well!

HatCat
31st October 2008, 05:37 PM
Mainly I'm referring to aspect ratio. Several width:height ratios were used in the Star Wars games, but ever since a certain build (change log labeled added DXT support...which means nothing here) the plugin's ratio-fit compatibility was dropped.

The only other resolution support that comes to my mind is just higher resolutions, and I haven't seen a single game start out with something other than 320x240. Something like Virtual Chess 64 uses some textures viewed best in 800x600 resolution; I've never seen higher than that. Other than that it's just bad texture dimensions in some small cases.

Smiff_
31st October 2008, 06:53 PM
yes there's still resolution detection problems we have to sort out.. jabo and i were half way through this, not sure if he's had another look at it yet. you've always been able to force resolutions in the rom settings but this is no good for games with dynamic resolutions, which is why we still need to fix the detection. hope this makes sense.

HatCat
31st October 2008, 08:48 PM
I forgot all the resolutions of not all the Star Wars games were consistently supported by Jabo's Direct3D 1.6. The only loss from those games in the current beta version is in Episode I...Racer; the other games aren't supported period.