PDA

View Full Version : Where is the default "SAVES" folder????

hot dog
21st October 2008, 07:04 PM
From what I gather, the "SAVES" folder was suppose to be installed by default during installation. When I look in OPTIONS>SETTINGS>DIRECTORIES in PJ64 it says that the "auto" saves and "instant" saves are here: C:\programfiles\project64\saves

However, when I go to this location I don't see the "saves" folder anywhere, all I see is the Doc, Lang, Plugin folders, and some other stuff...

Where is that darn "SAVES" folder???

squall_leonhart
22nd October 2008, 08:38 AM
it will be generated automatically when a save file is first created

hot dog
24th October 2008, 01:37 AM
A save file has already been created, but I don't see the SAVES folder in the place where I specified. Where else could it be?

HatCat
24th October 2008, 01:55 AM
How are you able to tell that a save file was created if you can not find the folder where saves should be stored?

Try creating a new folder named "Save" or "Saves".

hot dog
25th October 2008, 06:17 AM
what I meant was, I've played a game already and saved my progress, but I can't find the Folder where the progress is saved. I could create a "saves" folder, but where could I place it where it will work..............I mean, I can't put the New Folder just anywhere can I??

HatCat
25th October 2008, 02:21 PM
Put it in PROJEC~1.

Project64 is configured to store saves in PROJEC~1\SAVES. If you can't find the folder in that directory create the folder there. If it is in reality there you will get an already-existing error on creating the folder.

What game have you been saving progress for?

hot dog
27th October 2008, 02:49 AM
I've saved progress for "Paper Mario". Where is PROJEC~1 ?

In what directory on the C drive is it suppose to be in??:D

HatCat
27th October 2008, 03:00 AM
"C:\programfiles\project64\saves"

Create a folder named "Saves" in PROJEC~1.

Otherwise just use Windows' Search feature and look for something like "Paper Mario.eep"?

hot dog
27th October 2008, 03:18 AM
There is no "SAVES" folder or "PROJEC~1" folder in the directory that you specified. The following folders and files is all that I have in this directory...

C:\programfiles\project64

Lang
Plugin
pif2.dat
Docs
PJgameFAQ
Project64
Project64.cht
Project64 (executable)
Project64.exe.manifest
Project64.rdb
Project64.rdx

HatCat
27th October 2008, 10:27 PM
"Paper Mario (U) [!].fla" will do.

You might need to do a Windows search.

hot dog
27th October 2008, 11:36 PM
I tried U, !, *, and ? I can't find any .fla or .eep files in my computer.

zilmar
28th October 2008, 01:01 AM
thinking about it .. you are probably running vista and pj64 is installed in the program files directory ....

vista does not like users creating files there so they have a virtual layer to reroute the files back to the user dir which probably at some level be hidden.

try something like
C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Project 64\Saves\....

hot dog
28th October 2008, 05:02 AM
Holy Makarell, that's it!!!

I found it.... I am using Vista and I guess I should have mentioned that before. I had to go into folder options and check the box to show hidden folders first, but I found it. It was exactly in the place you specified.
Those darn virtual layers, you just can't trust em...................JK

thank all for the help

Regards,

hot dog

squall_leonhart
28th October 2008, 05:59 PM
that can be disabled by disabling UAC.

hot dog
28th October 2008, 07:39 PM
Funny that you mention that. Sometimes I disable UAC because I hate waiting around for it to pop up everytime I want to run an application.

HatCat
29th October 2008, 02:33 AM
*.FLA works. :confused:

hot dog
30th October 2008, 01:48 AM
When I use Windows explorer, *.fla does not work....

HatCat
30th October 2008, 02:28 AM
Start Menu > Search > Advanced Search
Include non-indexed, hidden, and system files (might be slow)

Will return all files with FLA extension in the specified directory and its subdirectories given *.FLA
Will check VirtualStore directories and other uncommon objects

hot dog
31st October 2008, 04:51 AM
I followed your directions, specifying the search location as C:\ drive and still got nothing.

HatCat
31st October 2008, 05:25 PM
In which case the directory needs to be defined as zilmar offered even for the search.
C:\USERS\...\APPDATA\LOCAL\VIRTUA~1\

I'd best admit I simply thought someone like set your PROJEC~1\SAVE folder to Hidden or something and knew nothing about virtual storing, but holy crap...I'm just so used to dealing with folders directly.

hot dog
31st October 2008, 11:34 PM
I myself am also use to dealing with folders, directly.........I've got a Vista text book from a microsoft course that I took, I never saw anything about virtual layers..........I wish they'd make it a little more simple...:rolleyes:

HatCat
1st November 2008, 12:03 AM
Personally I've never had to think about this because at some point I didn't even have write priveleges to the applications folder even though I also use Vista. e.g. Project64 I have that in C:\Users\\Emulators\N64. I've always preferred creating custom folders like "Tools" and installing only what I need. That said I've got no idea why there are these buffs who want 1 PB HDDs when I can get around with 10 GB.

forerofore
18th November 2008, 04:09 AM
if youre using vista click on compatibility files somewere near the views button on the pj64 folder
if not
idont know of a solution