PDA

View Full Version : Yoshi's story issue

Experiment #150
4th June 2010, 02:07 AM
Awright, so a friend of a friend has 1.7 that some other guy gave to him. And, as he is not allowed to sign up to anything online, he asked me to say that:
"In Yoshi's story, it plays fine until the fifth chapter. Then, when you enter the only level to play, you enter a pipe, and it crashes." I don't know if this has been said already or not, but, if not, here you are.

squall_leonhart
4th June 2010, 04:43 AM
i played through that fine on 1.7, get him to post the rom code.

Experiment #150
4th June 2010, 06:39 PM
:confused: Sorry, but I'm not sure what a rom code is

Experiment #150
4th August 2010, 10:39 PM
He figured it out, he had a cheat enabled, and didn't know that that would effect it. I told him to take that off when I saw he had it on.

HatCat
4th August 2010, 11:26 PM
Although save states aren't stable, it's more stable to backup memory using save states before you turn on any cheats.

"Sorry, but I'm not sure what a rom code is"
It's a bit hard to explain.
Basically, a CRC is a calculated summary of a binary through an extended algorithm. Part of the N64 ROM header contains two CRCs, so configuration resources (like for plug-ins or emulators like Project64) use that information to identity an exact version of the game, to assign the game-specific settings to for emulation.

Again there are two CRCs, so the "ROM code" uses both of them and also ends with a third element, the country identifier (4A means Japanese version), which is also stored in the ROM header but at the end.

Convention of the ROM code (personally I just call it the INI code since it's not an official convention used by ROMs):
[CRC1-CRC2-4A] (for a Japanese game, 4A is at the end)

If you open the file Project64.rdb in a text editor, you'll see examples of INI codes everywhere, identifying each specific version of a game to assign settings to.

Anyway the problem with squall's asking you the INI code, is that it doesn't automatically change when the ROM itself is changed / hacked or badly-dumped. So you might have had the CRCs of a good dump, in the ROM header of a bad dump of the game.

Experiment #150
5th August 2010, 03:38 AM
Oh, it was good. The website he got it off of has testers. We can't really trust them too much, but it is working fine now. so...\

What's an algorithm again? I think I used to know...

HatCat
5th August 2010, 03:48 AM
Not really sure though to me it refers as a general term, to a scientific or mathematical procedure. It doesn't have to have numbers or Science class stuff, just, well, procedure.