PDA

View Full Version : Choppy framerate on Zelda player choice screen

Duncan
7th November 2008, 10:35 AM
Bizarrely the rest of the game runs fast and smooth but the player select screen right at the start causes the frame rate to collapse.

It works fine in a window, but going fullscreen introduces the problem. If there isn't an easy workaround to this maybe a good option in future versions would be to offer a tickbox for borderless windows when running in a window.

Anyway thanks in advance for any help everyone! :)

Smiff_
7th November 2008, 01:55 PM
system specs? does this happen on all 3 buffer settings (copy mem/double etc?)

the borderless window option idea is interesting.. i dont think we've considered that one.. jabo?! i know ive seen it in other emulators.. but its not really a solution to fullscreen problems.. sounds possibly like an issue with your system.

squall_leonhart
8th November 2008, 11:08 AM
get a video card that can handle fullscreen FBE's

Duncan
13th November 2008, 09:01 AM
get a video card that can handle fullscreen FBE's

It's a GeForce 5800 FX I think, I can only use a low-profile AGP card with composite or svideo out. And this happens on all modes. What are FBEs? :confused:

Thanks everyone (although 'buy new hardware' is usually the least useful response!)

Smiff_
13th November 2008, 09:21 AM
Frame Buffer Effects..

hmm.. Geforce 5 series were not good (Jabo had one for a while, remember that Jabo? ;P)
any chance you can upgrade to a low profile GF6+ or ATI...
also check your graphics settings.. FSAA and resolution might make a big difference, also driver optimisations.

squall_leonhart
13th November 2008, 07:37 PM
nothing wrong with the FX range for N64 emulation, however that card in particular suffers from a number of issues being that it was the Launch card for the FX range.

Smiff_
13th November 2008, 07:56 PM
nothing wrong with the FX range for N64 emulation, however that card in particular suffers from a number of issues being that it was the Launch card for the FX range.

i think there is - terrible pixel shader performance? i remember discussing this with Jabo. was a while ago though so not sure.

HatCat
13th November 2008, 11:38 PM
Funny I had an FX 5200.

Have you tried rolling back to the Direct3D6 1.5.2 plugin by Jabo? Ya anti-aliasing, refresh rate part of resolutions, and the full screen resolution choice can all affect smooth play in full screen mode.

Duncan
14th November 2008, 09:49 AM
Yes I've tried pretty much everything. Remember the graphic-intensive stuff ie the game runs like a rocket but just certain 'static' screens like the player selection menu drop right down. I'm outputting through a TV so only running at 640x480 anyway.

Ok thanks everyone; I'll keep it in a window. Like I said the future option of borderless windows would be ideal for poor souls like me; regardless of my card the emulation is perfectly smooth when runnning windowed even at 1024x768. I could not justify buying another video card just for Project64 when I could simply buy a Nintendo 64 instead! :)

Thanks again everyone,

D.

Duncan
15th November 2008, 10:26 AM
BTW I got the video card wrong, it is a GeForce 6200.