PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Stadium 1/2 (Graphical Issues)

Golden Lion
2nd August 2010, 07:53 PM
What are the settings you're using to play?

In my emulator (latest ver. of 1.6) the graphics look garbaged. My problem is only with the icons of the pokemons, both in-battle and in the select menu, and also when the results of a tournament are shown after a victory. Attacks like Strength/Earthquake also have a similar problem.

I was thinking everyone had this problem, but there are videos in youtube with people playing the game just fine.

I would really appreciate your help.

EDIT:

Looks like I have the public release, 1.6.

I was wondering if there was a way to fix it on that version, since I was told it was the most stable, and the specs of my PC (will post them if needed) surpass the minimal requirements.

*please move this thread if needed.

Here's an example of the stuff I'm talking about:

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/4718/crapokemon.png

I'm using Mudlord Rice's video build 6.1.4

HatCat
2nd August 2010, 08:52 PM
I can't make out what you're referring to with that screen shot, but be sure to try Jabo's Direct3D6 1.5.2 for this game. Switch to that in the emulator options, and configure under the "ROM Settings" tab to make sure "Emulate Clear" is turned on.

While you're using RiceVideo I made a recent INI fix for that game not included in my INI for mudlord's releases, but I can't tell if it fixes what you're indicating since I can't see what that would be.

Golden Lion
2nd August 2010, 09:09 PM
I tried switching to Jabo's, but it keeps pausing every couple of seconds, and the graphics look much worse.

I was just curious if my minor problems were due to the emulator not being configured appropriately, since like I mentioned, I watched some videos of people who claimed to own Project64 1.6 playing just fine without any sort of graphical glitch.

i turned on emulate clearn on Mudlord's, but I still have the same problem shown above, the images of the pokemon being garbaged during the rental process, and the same goes for the graphics of the results shown after a victory.

HatCat
2nd August 2010, 09:21 PM
I meant actually the "ROM Settings" tab of when you go to configure Jabo's Direct3D6 1.5.2 rather than the emulator.

In general, none of those settings within the main memory emulator are going to affect graphical appearance.

Why not send me a save state so that I can test?

Golden Lion
2nd August 2010, 09:33 PM
I meant actually the "ROM Settings" tab of when you go to configure Jabo's Direct3D6 1.5.2 rather than the emulator.

I did that as soon as I realized the graphic card config. had that tab. Jabo's still made the game slower, so I just switched back to Mudlord's and turned on the Emulate Clear, but I still had the same graphical problems mentioned above.

Golden Lion
2nd August 2010, 09:43 PM
I switched (after checking older threads) to glide64 napalm public release

apparently the "software depth buffer rendering" being checked solved my problem with the transparency of the pokemons' graphics while browsing the select menu.

but the rest of the game looks misplaced, specially the windows with text. I tried to switch to full screen, but the windows with text (and the ones used to select options, such as the tournaments) are chopped. I'll try to tweak the resolution to see if it fixes that problem.

HatCat
2nd August 2010, 09:59 PM
It won't. It's a texcel issue or like.

Too bad I don't have a save state to test the game myself to help you.
Glide64's pretty accurate, though. Good luck.

Golden Lion
2nd August 2010, 10:52 PM
How do I create a Save State to send it to you? Is it only a Save State of the game? Or a different feature of the Emulator?

HatCat
2nd August 2010, 11:17 PM
Um, well the emulator creates it, based on the game.

It saves every detail about where you are at the game--like the position you're currently at--and, if not by configurations, the issues attached to it.

Quick way to make one is to hit F5 at the spot we should test. The file created in result is stored in $Project64\Save as a pj.zip file.

Send that file through some service like filesend.net or the attachments system on this forum, etc. so that I can download and try. If you get a download link, paste it without the "http://www" at the beginning, cause the forum will automatically link it and reject your post from showing up in this thread, till a moderator approves.

Golden Lion
2nd August 2010, 11:28 PM
Here you go

Also, the issue I had with some of the pokemon moves causing a black square to show up on the screen happened with Strength (Machamp and Onix have it), and some others that I can't remember.

HatCat
2nd August 2010, 11:42 PM
Thanks testing is underway.

Just to be sure, I see the glitch with like the header bar (behind the text "Select entry Pokémon"), but you're concerned about issues like how the actual Pokémon look in the preview and icons more than stuff like that?

No INI fix for the header bar using RiceVideo...might be fixed by the renderer class though if that were modified.

Golden Lion
2nd August 2010, 11:58 PM
I can actually play the game without any problems, since I get to see the in-battle menu just well (the buttons and their respective attacks). Besides the icons for each pokemon on the status screen (or whatever the thing above the HP meter is called) being distorted or just not showing up at all, the black squares showing up on the screen with attacks like Strength, the way the screen becomes a mess when I get to see the results of a battle, and what I mentioned before about the Select Pokemon menu, I have no real issues with the emulation.

I was just wondering if the problem were my settings or the plug-ins I'm using.

HatCat
3rd August 2010, 12:01 AM
Where do I go to test the glitch with the Strength field display?

It's not the Project64 1.6 configuration.
The core ROM settings will have no effect on the graphics issues presented in this thread. The graphics plug-ins do.
So changing just the main memory emulator (e.g. Project64) without changing the plug-ins will have no effect, unless there is FB r/w support etc..

And there is one graphics plug-in I found that fixes the blurry appearance of the pkmn.
http://gln64.emulation64.com/

Install glN64 to the emulator, and use that.
Before entering the game make sure you set the config for this plug-in that "Hardware Frame Buffer Textures (experimental)" is turned on.

Golden Lion
3rd August 2010, 12:13 AM
Install glN64 to the emulator, and use that.
Before entering the game make sure you set the config for this plug-in that "Hardware Frame Buffer Textures (experimental)" is turned on.

It worked for the pokemon showing up in the menu/battle screen, but now the in-battle screen is flickering, and most of the windows get stretched. Pretty much the same problem I had with Napalm's plug-in, except that it does look worse in this one.

HatCat
3rd August 2010, 12:21 AM
Yeah the triangle flickering to black and the stretched textures have no configuration fix, just internal problems simply. Yet it looks like only glN64 renders the HWFBE used by the pkmn without the blurred edges like all the other ones (Glide64 included) do, but it might not be worth all the raster issues.

If you wanted very slow speed there might be a couple other plug-ins that would do good quality wise but make the game run slow.

Looks like this is a known issue with HLE though, where not one plug-in fixes everything.

Golden Lion
3rd August 2010, 12:24 AM
Yeah, I made more search, and these have been known issues for a while, dating back in 2003. Most recent forum post I found somewhere else was dated in 2009.

Thanks for your help. I was just curious, since I can play the game just fine.

HatCat
3rd August 2010, 12:26 AM
Heh in 2003 certainly there were more problems (and no LLE RDP emulation) but yeah, glad I could help you somewhat though.

Also sometimes older/newer versions of Glide64 work better than others. If you're interested the main site with the downloads archive is here.
http://glide64.emuxhaven.net/