PDA

View Full Version : Official List of all plug-ins!?

Funlittlejeff
16th August 2010, 08:24 PM
I have to Keep scrolling through forums and out dated websites to find outdated plug-ins.... Can we make a sticky that is up to date with all plug-ins.

squall_leonhart
16th August 2010, 08:37 PM
no. no we can not.

Funlittlejeff
16th August 2010, 09:11 PM
I dont understand, You're a Senior member so I'm assume you are being serious. Why this be a bad thing?

squall_leonhart
16th August 2010, 09:24 PM
its not a bad thing, we're just too lazy to maintain a constant changing list of third party plugins or support the issues that can come from using them.

Experiment #150
17th August 2010, 12:39 AM
Yeah, besides the popular ones, like all of Jabo's, N-rage's, etc., there are a lot, some good, some bad. I would just stick with the defaults, but use N-rage 2.0 for controller input.

HatCat
17th August 2010, 07:24 PM
Nah I can maintain a list like that, considering I'm already doing it in memory.

It depends what you want exactly though, like a list of all emu64-organized N64 plug-ins or like probably hidden projects out there and also which kind of plug-ins, stuff like hcs' Winamp plug-in or the ones emulators like this one load, etc.. :/ I mean when you say "all" plug-ins that can include some crappy stuff.

Funlittlejeff
21st August 2010, 12:47 AM
I have a bunch of emulators and to spend a few days on each finding the best plugins for each is becoming far to time consuming. I still think a user maintained sticky would not be to hard to keep up-to date and rate. Once there's a dead link find a new one and attach, list updates. I'm just having a hard time to find a clean looking plugin that renders the graphics and shading while maintaining aspect ratio and compatibility. I would also think this would help everyone. So why not?

Experiment #150
21st August 2010, 02:11 AM
Because it's not worth it, methinks. If we all use practically the same plug-ins anyhow, and a lot of them are outdated and such, what would be the point in having a list if we don't need it? If someone needs help with a plug-in they can just ask (instead of searching, no? I give up :cool: ).

HatCat
21st August 2010, 02:27 AM
^^ I can easily make a list of most useful plug-ins released, but no one is going to sticky the thread. There have been no stickies of non-moderator threads on this board afaik.

RadeonUser
21st August 2010, 03:41 AM
I don't even know where to begin with the comment you made.
Provide some useful content relevant to all/some versions of PJ64, keep it up to date, and I'll gladly sticky it.

I'm very strict on sticky threads though.
I let the spam slide on threads such as http://forum.pj64-emu.com/showthread.php?t=1831 but when it comes to stickies I'll remove any off-topic conversations.
(http://forum.pj64-emu.com/showthread.php?t=1831)

HatCat
21st August 2010, 04:16 AM
And yet, I suppose it is not relevant to Project64. Apparently Smiff ruled out support for third-party plug-ins, hence, perhaps no one would have stickied it.

I did base my presumption that no one would sticky it on the time frame of since before Gent set you in the Administrators usergroup, though, and I believe you when you say you may sticky it.

To be honest I wouldn't want such a thread of mine to be stickied. Even if there was a forum on this board about third-party plug-ins, I'd personally organize a layout like this (http://www.emutalk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=80) rather than use stickies to generalize. If the one who made this thread prefers otherwise I can easily change my mind.

Though either way, I appreciate the offer.
After further reflection, I've decided to create a prototype in the public 1.6 forum. A sticky may be appropriate there for people who still use the public versions of various emulators (and possibly various plug-ins, too). If it is stickied or not, I think it is fun to organize this information :D cause I like teaching.

(If my modem throws me off I will have to submit the prototype tomorrow.)

Experiment #150
21st August 2010, 04:59 AM
Doctor.. .what is it... I'm afraid.. your son.. is.. a ... prototype!!! :P
Anyway, good luck wid dat!

HatCat
21st August 2010, 06:16 PM
:( I'm afraid so.

:) But it will grow.

:D Thanx j001!!1!

Fat man disconnected me while I was writing the prototype last night.

Experiment #150
22nd August 2010, 12:14 AM
I thought Santa was only for Christmas? :P

HatCat
22nd August 2010, 12:38 AM
Yeah but see he's too fat to fit through the door, so he kind of lost his job, stays where I'm at and threatens everyone for a living.

Got some good progress on my plug-ins prototype. Got to get attachments up and keep thinking some more about how to change my descriptions, if I don't feel I've perfected them already. Even I have to make up my mind for good at some point.

As goes without saying, helping me make up my mind on what to do by throwing suggestions is welcomed.

RadeonUser
25th August 2010, 10:11 PM
And yet, I suppose it is not relevant to Project64. Apparently Smiff ruled out support for third-party plug-ins, hence, perhaps no one would have stickied it.

Project64 and its team will never officially support third party plug-ins.
That's why Smiff is/was so against that.

The thread you made is a fan-made thread to help out users search for the best plug-ins for certain games/setups.
As long as it's understood its not an official list, but rather a list made by a fan, I don't see any problem.

Ideally we'd have some kind of auto-update feature on the RDB that would update it with suggested plug-ins based on system specs and the game that's being attempted to run but such a feature is well beyond the scope of Project64's development.
That and people aren't willing to spend that much free time on something that has little to no return.
The 'fans' don't care how much time you spend on something, they just keep on demanding more and more.

HatCat
25th August 2010, 10:33 PM
Of course, just information, sort of with the attitude of a tutorial but made by my fanly knowledge in the form of a listing.
Heh I made it for fun as well.

Yeah Smiff's reasoning was pretty clear as to the idea of supporting software not made or at least officially tested with Project64, always trying to direct to more official places to ask questions. Still it's not like he had to like, make it against the rules or anything. If it's just a configuration question that's in the way of them using Project64 with that particular plug-in, and I happen to know the answer, shouldn't be too much trouble to just eh kind of say how to fix it instead of close the thread and redirect to someone else who'd say the same. :/

Yeah the RDB automation feature sounds kind of risky. Hardware compatibility (plus driver and device detection) and assignments per game, blah. I say if you persist with old hardware, you should at least get familiar with old plug-ins that have better compatibility and be able to work that out for yourself. Per-game plug-in databases can be made as an optional download or something.