PDA

View Full Version : Star wars shadows of the empire

AlexC420
5th September 2010, 01:12 PM
I am having issues with this game. On the second level it is constantly flashing a white screen, making the game next to unplayable. I find it odd because the first level worked fine...

I think im going to try to get thru the second level to see if the problem continues, but im just wondering if this is a known issue and if there is anything i can do about it.

Experiment #150
5th September 2010, 11:22 PM
specs? hmmmm?

HatCat
6th September 2010, 02:48 AM
specs irrelevant.
Flickering is a known issue that can be fixed in Jabo's config.

You can also just install this plugin and use that for graphics.
https://ricevideo.bountysource.com/

Experiment #150
6th September 2010, 02:53 AM
I'm just using a stencil. Hello, my name Peg. How to help you?

AlexC420
6th September 2010, 03:49 AM
Thanks that worked!

Just incase anyone is wondering how to fix it:

Go to graphics plugin config
Uncheck "hide advanced settings" (why anyone would want this checked is beyond me)
Go to advanced
Check "use pixel pipeline"

Experiment #150
6th September 2010, 04:13 PM
Ah, rice. Bland except when useful, eh?

HatCat
6th September 2010, 11:26 PM
Uncheck "hide advanced settings" (why anyone would want this checked is beyond me)

The developers had this paranoia about configuration via the interface taking up space on screen, but those settings were organized on their own hidden tab in fear that someone could be too smart to not notice them--but too stupid to tweak with the right ones. :D

They aren't even remembered anyway.

AlexC420
7th September 2010, 02:23 PM
Well I played a bit more, and noticed that on the first level, the previous "fix" screwed this level up. Then on the 6th level or so (the bike race) I cant get any settings to fix the flickering!

Any other suggestions or is this game just screwed?

HatCat
9th September 2010, 12:45 AM
About the flickering, try tweaking with the "Direct3D clear mode" option in the "Rom Settings" tab in the configuration for Jabo's.

bananastalktome
10th September 2010, 10:52 PM
I just noticed the issue yesterday, and setting the 'Direct 3D Clear Mode' to 'Only per frame' seems to have solved the issue without needing to set the pixel pipeline setting.

VirtualVernon
16th November 2013, 02:48 PM
I also had this problem using only the project 64 default settings. Here are thee exact steps on how to fix the screen flash problem. Step 1: Open Project 64, click Options/Settings, and change your video (graphics) plug-in to Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6, Now click always use Texture Filter, and lower your Brightness to 100%, then click Ok to save your Settings. Step: 2 Re-open Options/Settings, now click the Options tab, and check off Hide Advanced Settings, and click Ok. Step 3: Click Options/Configure Graphics Plug-in, and click the Advanced Tab. Check off Adjust aspect ratio to match yours, and Use Legacy Pixel Pipeline/Direct3D Legacy Pipeline then click Ok. Step 4: Re-Open Options/Configure Graphics Plug-in, and click on the Rom Settings Tab. Now click on the Direct 3D Clear mode Tab " If you didn't click use legcay pipeline, you can't use the 3D Tab" and choose Only Per Frame, and click OK. Now your game will be clear, and wont flash! Not only are you stopping the flash, but your filtering the picture to make the game textures brighter, clear, and sharper.

munchkin896
16th November 2013, 06:06 PM
just go to the Direct 3D and change it to only by frame

copyman
29th November 2013, 09:23 PM
I did what VirtualVernon said but still flickering. I think it might be because I didnt change the Direct 3D setting. Its grayed out. I made sure to check legcay pipeline. Did everything exacting as instructed.
Any help would be great thanks:)

Alteus
8th May 2014, 04:56 AM
Hi! New here, and new to PJ64 in general. Not new to emulation though. I figured I'd post in this thread instead of starting a new one.

I don't yet know if I will have the screen flickering issues---I didn't bother to play past the first level, because I have a different problem: the game runs way too fast. Maybe as much as twice as fast as it should. This was apparent to me from even the opening sequence; the Star Wars logo, and the text that follows, scroll much too fast. The audio is fine, just the video is too fast. I have tried using all of the different video plugins included, to no end. Tried syncing game to audio as well. VI/S shows a constant 50-60, which I assume is pretty normal based on other games that actually work for me.

I've seen other threads about this problem, but they're all really old, and I'm on the latest version (2.1.0.1). Most of them recommend plugins that don't exist anymore, or they go something along the lines of "I think I fixed the problem" but then the OP never lists the fix. So, any suggestions? SotE is one of the games I most looked forward to playing again. Thanks in advance!

V1del
8th May 2014, 08:40 PM
Play around with the VI/AI settings in the game settings try to find numbers that work and report back (setting VI to 1500 is often a good start) They currently default to 2000 which isn't optimal for some games, if you find known to work values, they can be added in a later release

TEHEP1cPWNZR
30th September 2015, 05:16 AM
I tried this and the flickering still continues.... any suggestions