PDA

View Full Version : Use a different api for saving screenshots.

squall_leonhart
16th November 2010, 07:52 AM
iirc pj64 uses the windows imaging api or something like that, however on windows 7 this causes a major hit to quality for all screenshots saved directly via pj64.

screenshots created with fraps in either png, bmp or jpg are higher quality under windows 7.

HatCat
18th November 2010, 01:35 AM
If I want quality, I'll just use glN64 and hold F3 down to record animations / movies in BMP files per frame.

I did mention this to Jabo a few weeks back, though. Seems he likes the current quality setting as is, or so he said at the old beta forum, citing the smaller size for screen shots when posting to the forum.

squall_leonhart
18th November 2010, 09:27 AM
The currently quality isn't an issue, its the fact that under windows 7 the conversion to and from bmp is an instant degradation in quality.

you can see this when applying jpgs as desktop images from windows image viewer.

HatCat
18th November 2010, 06:48 PM
That's because MS is like, obsessed with JPEG. Even if I use a bitmap / icon resourced from my IM client for my MSN profile picture, it still converts it to JPEG automatically (and, when auto-away or idle is set, auto-formats my present display picture as JPEG if I use normal MSN client).

Yeah I got what you meant about the imaging API being in conflict with Windows 7; I just meant I don't really come a long way for quality. For compatibility with Windows 7 the API should be changed, but ehh idk I tend to use Alt+PrtScrn. Maybe removing the generate bitmap feature wouldn't be totally bad either since it's not a function of an emulator.