PDA

View Full Version : GFX - Access Violation

dutchMasta
16th November 2008, 08:09 PM
Randomly, I get the error message
"While processing graphics data an exception occurred
you may need to restart the emulator"
I'm using hq texture pack, but I'm sure nothing's wrong with it. It occurs completely randomly, like I went through a temple fine in Majora's Mask but didn't complete it in time so I had to reset, so I reset and closed the emulator since I didn't have time to do it all again. Next time I ran it, went to that dungeon again, somewhere in the middle, something I've done before fine without error messages, that pops up. And once it pops it, and I close it, it'll continue coming back until I reset the emulator.

Any idea what's wrong and if there's a fix? Thanks!

EDIT: Got a new one, right after pressing ok for the 1st error message, it pops up with
"Application/Core Error: Break point found at D:\My Programs\home\Project64\project64 1.7\Source\N64 System\C Core\Interpreter Ops.c1625" Then it crashed.
Problem is, that D:\My Programs doesn't exist, and shouldn't, since I'm running my emu and OS from E:\.

HatCat
16th November 2008, 10:01 PM
Access violations signal preventions of other error messages by indicating circumstances bound to lead to general failures to execute the video plugin. Right away my first take on that circumstance...

EDIT: Got a new one, right after pressing ok for the 1st error message, it pops up with
"Application/Core Error: Break point found at D:\My Programs\home\Project64\project64 1.7\Source\N64 System\C Core\Interpreter Ops.c1625" Then it crashed.
Problem is, that D:\My Programs doesn't exist, and shouldn't, since I'm running my emu and OS from E:\.
Did you change any of the game settings (procedure similar to right-clicking target, Edit Game Settings...) or default settings for memory processing in Project64? The directory is for debug information; supposedly it's on someone else's disk.

Other possible causes include usage of special GameShark cheat codes, frequently using save states, bad game image file (i.e. bad dump / mod), and graphics plugin settings changed from their defaults (Options Configure Graphics Plugin).

What you don't want to do is make a save state "instant save" (System > Save) after a point where you got that error. What you may want to do is try playing the Song of Time or using an owl statue to save your progress to the native "battery" save file to clear the effects of save details and see if you get the crash again.

Resource for more information
http://www.pj64-emu.com/manual-and-guides/troubleshooting/access-violations-avs-fatal-exceptions/#zAnswerList_411

dutchMasta
17th November 2008, 01:13 AM
I rarely use savestates, but yeah, I've been doing what you said before, doing the owl save and it's been ok. I have however, been turning off the frame limiter from time to time, that could be the problem, dunno. Oh well, guess I'll just deal with it.

HatCat
17th November 2008, 01:15 AM
You're probably good then.

I don't think the speed limiter would do this...does anyone know? I doubted at first, but I know it can cause instability in the recompiler especially in 1964.

Odd that you got the Interpreter message though.

zilmar
17th November 2008, 01:37 AM
Got a new one, right after pressing ok for the 1st error message, it pops up with

It really is a poor error message (useful to me tho). It is actually an unknown opcode, which still is not going to be much better for an error message. Tho a little better .. usually it is a self modification issue.

HatCat
17th November 2008, 01:40 AM
Why not the reason for it being an unknown op-code?

Which op-code
Fault addresses

If you get the error again or now what you can try is right-clicking the game in Project64's image browser, Edit Game Settings, set the self-modifying core method to hmmm turn them all on.

dutchMasta
18th November 2008, 03:18 PM
I'll try tomorrow, about to go to sleep.

Just wanted to note one more error playing the game.

In the Great Bay Dungeon, the emulator often crashes while using fire arrows right after using ice arrows. I'll post more details tomorrow, there's a core error, then it closes, that's all I know right now.

Smiff_
18th November 2008, 06:14 PM
the only way to deal with these types of errors is to post a state that you make some way back from the crash, instructions how to recreate the crash (which you've tested to make sure it crashes every time!) and your rom settings please.

edit: althought this thread is title a graphics error, this is mostly likely a core error causing graphics crashes, since you got the core error later.

HatCat
19th November 2008, 12:00 AM
What Smiff said upload an instant save maybe through the attachments system here or through filesend.net.

I have replayed Zelda Majora's Mask 100% Project64.exe build 49 latest plugin builds without any cheats (or with cheats but loading a save state every time to restore to when they weren't in memory) and completed the game. The one and only time I had a [consistent] crash was because of Project64's virtual lookup table. I can tell you right now if needed right-click the game in Project64's image browser Edit Game Settings... set from Virtual to Physical Lookup table. This has recently (alpha changes it seems) become the default and is even faster than the virtual one.

Smiff_
19th November 2008, 09:34 AM
What Smiff said upload an instant save maybe through the attachments system here or through filesend.net.

I have replayed Zelda Majora's Mask 100% Project64.exe build 49 latest plugin builds without any cheats (or with cheats but loading a save state every time to restore to when they weren't in memory) and completed the game. The one and only time I had a [consistent] crash was because of Project64's virtual lookup table. I can tell you right now if needed right-click the game in Project64's image browser Edit Game Settings... set from Virtual to Physical Lookup table. This has recently (alpha changes it seems) become the default and is even faster than the virtual one.

great that you tested that.. do you know if the whole game is stable on Physical Lookup Table?

dutchMasta
19th November 2008, 12:57 PM
Ok, didn't manage to reproduce the GFX error (haven't played much though), but can easily reproduce the "fire arrows right after using ice arrows in Great Bay Temple" crash. It says "Executing from a non-mapped space."

Both Physical and Virtual Lookup Table crash, but Physical gives error message and you click ok to go back to rom browser, Virtual just freezes, but you can still end emulation (ie, PJ64 hasn't crashed).

Trying out the custom self mod, it seems protect memory stops this problem, but really slows down the emulation. Can run at full speed in most areas, but going between areas/menus or whatever is slow as hell. Other methods don't make a difference or have problems of their own if you disable them.

Smiff_
19th November 2008, 01:36 PM
Ok, didn't manage to reproduce the GFX error (haven't played much though), but can easily reproduce the "fire arrows right after using ice arrows in Great Bay Temple" crash. It says "Executing from a non-mapped space."

Both Physical and Virtual Lookup Table crash, but Physical gives error message and you click ok to go back to rom browser, Virtual just freezes, but you can still end emulation (ie, PJ64 hasn't crashed).

Trying out the custom self mod, it seems protect memory stops this problem, but really slows down the emulation. Can run at full speed in most areas, but going between areas/menus or whatever is slow as hell. Other methods don't make a difference or have problems of their own if you disable them.

this is great info thanks.. there's a good chance zilmar can fix the self mod method so it doesnt need protect. do you have a state in that temple you can post here please?

dutchMasta
19th November 2008, 02:00 PM
LINK (http://sharebee.com/da5b4841)
Doesn't ALWAYS cause that error, but around 90% of the time. In that savestate, during the testing, I took off the Goron Mask, fired an ice arrow, then equipped fire arrows, and as I was about to fire, it crashed, happened every time.

Smiff_
19th November 2008, 02:47 PM
thanks,

2 offtopic points:
i've increased the forum attachment limits to 5MB for zip and 10MB for 7z to allow states.. hope we dont run out of space.
when i try to load that state in the alpha, crashes. anyone else? b49 loads it ok.

i'll come back to your problem later thanks.

dutchMasta
19th November 2008, 11:09 PM
I'm using b49 just to let you know.

HatCat
19th November 2008, 11:16 PM
I was using the virtual lookup table all along until I found it crashed consistently in the Pirate's Fortress when I walked out from the internal security watch to the platform above the boat watch. I had a few Zora eggs and was ready to take them back, but I got the execution from non-mapped space response this member reported. I do remember I needed to restart emulation with the physical table, but I don't remember if I turned it back for stability testing or left it that way for the rest of the game.

I also remember in Great Bay Temple while in the room with all of those water valves and ceiling holes with water you shot an ice arrow at to freeze so the balances would flip so you could climb the place...one of those specific obstacles I shot the arrow at and thanks to this user's report I remember what seems to be a variant stop in emulation based on the lookup table. I will look into reproducing this as well; this is very interesting to me.

dutchMasta
20th November 2008, 02:40 AM
Yeah, I also got one crash during the Pirate's Fortress bit, only one though, so dunno if I can reproduce it.

HatCat
20th November 2008, 03:39 AM
(Save As edit and Load As feature broken for 50a? Try renaming and zipping so quick load works. Also attaching these save states seems broken, but I'm happy saving my attachments record on only text files so far. :P)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=30CSKBUA

Gerudo Fortress, Doorway to Boat Security Watch
Attachment.
Walk through the doorway. Move forward. Go back to where you started. May or may not crash depending on the table? ...try moving around in the boat area

Great Bay Temple, Transitional Room
Attachment.
Shoot the frozen hole with an ice arrow. Change to fire arrows. Attempt to fire a fire arrow. Virtual table should crash. Physical table should hang.

Reproduction on the second one is pretty vague; at first the hang happened immediately after I got to that second pedal and pulled out the arrows after instant saving. I guess saving before it happens too soon clears it.

Yes I used cheats to speed this up but nothing memory damaging or anything, just levitation and some infinite ones I forgot to turn off from testing before

dutchMasta
21st November 2008, 12:55 PM
Just want to add that the fire arrow thing doesn't work well in the Secret Shrine in Ikana Canyon either (was a real bitch, had to do the WHOLE stone temple again!!).

HatCat
22nd November 2008, 01:07 AM
That indeed does suck. The Secret Shrine was brief, but I also tested the game completely by getting all 20 full hearts of health. All we had to do was shoot the sun with a light arrow and walk right in...although now that I think about it I might have had to reset because of some kind of mistake I made and re-enter that place again as well. Still just now that one I haven't managed to reproduce instability for, but if you can get a save state with instructions that will help as a third example.

Now as a side note: Save states are not that dangerous for emulation. There have been a couple reports in today's era on save states doing things like...you get to the great fairy for Snowhead with all 15 stray fairies, but it still acts like you're missing one (checking back through the temple you got all 15). That was a memory saving glitch caused by save states back on Project64 1.6 even though every emulator uses a different algorithm.

Now with 1.7 is when I have used F5 and F7 so very often as I tested this game, so lucky for me I never had to experience downfalls like that. However it shows that it's possible the save state coding for the beta is actually more stable than the public version.

dutchMasta
22nd November 2008, 07:15 AM
I've had some pretty big problems. Using cheats completely corrupted my save file, luckily, I backed up before using it.

Using the light arrow to get into the shrine was fine, light arrows and ice arrows have never caused problems, just fire arrows. Was fighting that big eyeball thing with loads of eggs around it, tried to shoot a fire arrow, and it crashed. Thing is, I did the Secret Shrine after completing the Stone Temple, no savestating in between, which was a real pain.

HatCat
22nd November 2008, 10:06 PM
Right make backups before any cheats--except maybe something like levitation or codes that only write to one address. Also something like setting one thing to a value of one you can later edit the cheat back to zero to disable it. (Turning off the cheat doesn't disable it at all unless it writes to the game memory constantly.)

I've shot the fire arrow at Wart a few times during the different phases; I'm not exactly sure how to reproduce this one. If you would upload a save state that's great. In my testing I just shot regular arrows, or you can just pull out the Great Fairy's Sword and jump attack it.

dutchMasta
24th November 2008, 06:45 AM
I think fixing it in the Water Temple should fix it in the Secret Shrine.
Uploaded anyway, fired the fire arrow and straight away got that error, from that savestate.
http://sharebee.com/ecab7521
Attaching kept on failing, so using sharebee again.

Smiff_
24th November 2008, 10:20 AM
Uploaded anyway, fired the fire arrow and straight away got that error, from that savestate.

let me try attaching that
ok, attachments over 2MB are still failing, sorry will see about that.
thanks for showing me sharebee btw, neat site, i know someone who could use that..

dutchMasta
25th November 2008, 07:43 AM
np, there are a ton of those sites, but they often die
http://massmirror.com/
http://superuploader.net/
http://tinyload.com/
also are decent

RadeonUser
25th November 2008, 05:51 PM

I'm not able to replicate that one for some reason.
The first one caused an error quite nicely though.

Are there any other special instructions for causing the error in the Secret Shrine?

I might be using an old rdb too, I can't seem to find an updated one.

squall_leonhart
26th November 2008, 05:11 AM
never mind me, im just making sure RadeonUser isn't a zombie. :P

I kept an updated RDB on emutalk

dutchMasta
27th November 2008, 04:36 AM
No special instructions for that one, just equip and shoot a fire arrow. I might be the one using an old rdb, will try get a new one. Don't think it'll make a difference though since I already did testing of what caused it (protect memory or something under self-modification if I remember right).
EDIT: Latest RDB fixes the 2nd one, not the 1st one.

nogfree
16th January 2010, 03:05 AM
I'm running 1.6 and it's doing this also. Please Reply

HatCat
16th January 2010, 03:16 AM
In your thread.

Firearrow
11th December 2012, 11:33 PM
Sorry for re-opening this thread.
I've got the same problem at the Great Bay temple. My situation was the next:
Once I got the New Wave Bossa Nova, I saved with the song of time, I went to the zora cape (after having played the inverted song of time) and played with Zora Link the song, as it's supposed to do.
Inside the temple, my main purpose was to find all the fairies, and I did it without cheats, all was working normally, but I finished untill the night of the 3rd day, so I didn't have time to beat the boss of the temple. I took the fairies to the cave, and I saved. The next time I got into the temple, the problems started. For example, when I tried to swim with the magic shield, the game crashes and a little window appeared saying the error "executing from non-mapped space", also, I couldn't use a fire arrow after using an ice arrow, which made impossible to get where the boss was. I had the problems with the arrows out of the temple, for example in termina field. Finally, I decided to get to the boss chamber by using cheats (Levitation). I defeated the boss and saved. In Termina field, I tried both arrows, and there was no problem anymore. I have to say that I tried to play in P64 1.6 and 1.7, with the American and european version of the game.
So I wonder if it happens while playing in console (N64 or Wii).

HatCat
12th December 2012, 10:37 PM
Well don't use Project64 1.7, cause it's more stable on version 1.6.
Ye have better luck there

Also, don't use saved states too frequently, since that can corrupt memory as often as cheats can.