PDA

View Full Version : Pj64 in the Browser?

azoff
3rd February 2011, 12:12 AM
Hey There,

Glad to see that this is still a fairly active project, I have a fairly crazy idea I'd like to get some opinions on.

I happen to be a user of quite a few 64 emu's and a software engineer by trade. I also happen to be a fairly active JavaScript / HTML5 contributor. As a result, I just had the crazy idea to try and port Pj64 to the browser.

Now, before you get all "shut up noobie" on me, let me explain my rationale:

Having N64 run in the browser is something that has never been done before
It represents an opportunity to make emulators much more ubiquitous as a web-gaming platform (multiplayer Goldeneye anyone?)
It can leverage the superb engineering that has already gone into developing Pj64
It is an opportunity for me, a total enthusiast, to give back to such an awesome project
It will probably be more fun and applicable than most my other projects

Now I do understand, even though it will be a port, the project still represents a boat-load of work. I am completely willing and able to take this on, but the barrier of entry into emu-programming is too steep to do this alone. So, what I am looking for is, essentially, someone who has a much more intimate knowledge of the emu architecture to help mentor me indirectly. Hopefully, I can use the existing source distribution with the high-level mentoring direction to stub out a prototype.

I realize that this may be a lot to ask, but I do hope that by shouldering a lot of the work, I can rationalize soliciting the experience of this community to create something really special.

So, please let me know if (A) this idea is even be possible and (B) if anyone out there is willing to collaborate with me.

Thanks for the awesome project, I hope this is well-received.

- azoff

Natch
3rd February 2011, 12:18 AM
Someone beat you to it.

azoff
3rd February 2011, 12:26 AM
Is this "someone" looking to collaborate? I have been looking all over the interwebs and I can't find a hit. It would really be a bummer if this fell through, but I understand that the community is small and probably already stretched too thin.

HatCat
3rd February 2011, 01:55 AM
This guy.
http://forum.pj64-emu.com/showthread.php?t=2062

Don't know his feelings about collaboration.

Lexsym
3rd February 2011, 02:33 AM
I'd like to see PJ64 working in the web Browser. Also, I'm okay with Javascript and HTML5.

HatCat
3rd February 2011, 02:34 AM
It would also change implementation of NetPlay quite a bit in some sense haha.