PDA

View Full Version : Conkers BFD 4 Player controller fix

Biff Tanner
10th May 2011, 08:02 PM
Hi there.

Used to use PF64 many years ago with friends playing multiplayer games, many happy memories but one game I do remember that didnt work properly unfortunately was conkers bfd when playing with 4 player.
When playing the beach MP game when you have 4 players, for the right 2 players the camera constantly pans left so it is unplayable for those 2 players.

Downloaded 1.6 to see if it was something that was fixed with newer versions but unfortunately it was not, so thought I'd stick this here to beg and see if it could be something that could be fixed when the public version of 1.7 is released, as its the one game I still yearn to play on the N64 that isnt possible.
If this has already been fixed in the beta version of 1.7 my apologies.

Natch
10th May 2011, 08:26 PM
You could always try a different graphics plugin, via settings.

HatCat
11th May 2011, 12:51 AM
I'm not sure, as I'm not familiar with the game. Testing has had better results for many with Glide64 if you want to try that plugin and switch like natnatertatertot suggested.

Biff Tanner
11th May 2011, 05:38 PM
Unfortuantely its not a plugin issue to the best of my knowledge, it was noted a while ago that it was a core issue that happened on all emulators.

I did give the glide plugin a try hoping that it could have been that but the same problem still occurs.
I should say that this is a problem that is on all 3/4 player multiplayer games on conkers not just the beach level as originally stated.

ExtremeDude2
11th May 2011, 06:09 PM
hmm... is this a gfx problem or a input problem:confused:

HatCat
11th May 2011, 09:19 PM
Well I know I sure didn't see a note of this in the official GameFAQ or RDB.

Try Mupen64 0.5.1 for Windows to see if that happens to have any internal core support for this.

Otherwise if you can upload a saved state to quick jump to the point in game so that other people can test it would make testing and any fixing easier.

ExtremeDude2
12th May 2011, 12:21 AM
Try Mupen64 0.5.1 for Windows to see if that happens to have any internal core support for this.

Or 1964?http://www.

HatCat
12th May 2011, 09:02 PM
Well I wouldn't count on it. 1964 had some internal core issues with difficult games.

It's possible though. I initially guessed mupen cause it was the only emulator that somehow had some special support for a systematic effect in kirby64.

Biff Tanner
13th May 2011, 05:06 PM
Still the same problem with other emulators like 1964 and Mupen I'm afraid. I think when I initially tried playing this i did try pretty much every emulator under the sun lol.

You can get the save file from here to use and see the problem.
rapidshare.com/files/3567007598/Conkers_BFD.zip

HatCat
13th May 2011, 06:27 PM
oh lol, well while I'm waiting for the free download without having to register, you're sure that this isn't a bug that happens on the original N64 hardware? Because a lot of games surprisingly can and do have bugs like this.

Biff Tanner
14th May 2011, 10:04 AM
I can confirm this is something that doesn't happen on the actual N64 version as I have had many games of this 4 player and its something I never saw.

At first I thought it might have been a input plugin issue with the c buttons as I thought they might control the camera panning but they actually deal with strafing so it seems like it would be an core emulator issue I would think.

HatCat
14th May 2011, 03:34 PM
Thanks for providing the saved state.

It isn't an issue with controller input plugins, even though I have tested 3 of those as well. Camera movement signals might be able to be controlled by it, but the signals themselves are defined in the ROM. It would be somewhere in the main emulator like you had said or maybe an RSP instruction I guess.

It either is a native camera problem that happens on the original hardware or an instance of unsupported code in both Project64 1.6 and Project64 1.7. For now I'll presume what you're saying is true that it does not happen on the original hardware and have these notes hooked in the alpha forum so that anyone there can look at the saved state--maybe find an implementation in the beta that fixes this problem if it truly isn't native to the hardware.

jmanx18
16th May 2011, 03:05 AM
Thanks for providing the saved state.

It isn't an issue with controller input plugins, even though I have tested 3 of those as well. Camera movement signals might be able to be controlled by it, but the signals themselves are defined in the ROM. It would be somewhere in the main emulator like you had said or maybe an RSP instruction I guess.

It either is a native camera problem that happens on the original hardware or an instance of unsupported code in both Project64 1.6 and Project64 1.7. For now I'll presume what you're saying is true that it does not happen on the original hardware and have these notes hooked in the alpha forum so that anyone there can look at the saved state--maybe find an implementation in the beta that fixes this problem if it truly isn't native to the hardware.

Nah It's not a error that happens on the original hardware I have the game and it never happened once. but yea this error been there as long as I can remember(6 years) lol on every emulator it is quite a weird one. I just makes player 3 and 4 screens go crazy.

HatCat
16th May 2011, 08:28 PM
Could be one of those defects in code based on the original Project Unreality or something, if it's not a simple lack of implementation.

Biff Tanner
17th May 2011, 05:36 PM
Cheers for that Iconoclast.
Would be awesome if someone did find a fix for it, I shall patiently wait and see.

HatCat
17th May 2011, 07:44 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't count on a fast answer or report to the situation anytime soon. Things like Pokemon Snap or Donkey Kong 64 worked in Project64 because of some implemented hacks not used in other emulators, so it's questionable if for core implementation Mr. zilmar can find the time for resolving the bug for this as well since it's been years from stuff like that.

I was also thinking if only I was more familiar with this game or owned it to know the navigation of it I could look into memory searching and see if there is some boolean modifier I can do to alter the glitchy camera bug on those player screens a bit. That always take a lot of time though.

Biff Tanner
23rd May 2011, 12:13 PM
Just wish I had put more attention to this issue years ago, I thought conkers was a popular game so it would be picked up eventually.

Is a specific applicaiton needed for memory searching or is it done through p64?

HatCat
23rd May 2011, 06:35 PM
Good to know that a part of it is just a balance of time on the end of the person working on the core, rather than inability to look into the issue.

It can be done through Project64 since a certain release build of 1.7. To do it through Project64 1.4 (or 1.6) needs some external software to do memory searching. A good choice is Renegade if you can get it to work, but there is a plugin more geared towards searching in N64 emulators than a compatibility across all sorts.