PDA

View Full Version : Savestate "problem"

ExtremeDude2
2nd June 2011, 10:24 PM
Occasionally (but not very often) savestates will save like this *.5pj (not necessarily 5, it can be any number [I think]) and then pj64 will not load the state automatically (unless you change the extension) only manually.

HatCat
3rd June 2011, 12:59 AM
The syntax for writing and reading RAM dump files was:

[Game Title].PJ[$slot]

Where $slot is a one-character identifier (probably a decimal digit from 0 to 9) of the save slot in use.

You can specify a save slot by hitting the respective decimal digit key (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, or 0) on your keyboard while the emulation thread is running.

If no slot is specified then the extension is just: *.PJ.

squall_leonhart
3rd June 2011, 01:21 AM
now

i vote we hit him for not reading the ffff manual.

ExtremeDude2
3rd June 2011, 01:26 AM
The syntax for writing and reading RAM dump files was:

[Game Title].PJ[$slot]

Where $slot is a one-character identifier (probably a decimal digit from 0 to 9) of the save slot in use.

You can specify a save slot by hitting the respective decimal digit key (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, or 0) on your keyboard while the emulation thread is running.

If no slot is specified then the extension is just: *.PJ.

I probably pressed 5 when I pressed f5 :eek:

HatCat
3rd June 2011, 01:26 AM
Heh, turns out most of what I just said is in the manual, too.
Project64.chm : html/5 using_pj64/saving.htm#state

HatCat
3rd June 2011, 01:27 AM
I have no slot selected but it still does it.

It should apply to both loading and saving.

If you want to load a *.PJ5 save state, press 5 to use save slot number 5.
If you want to load a *.PJ4 save state, press 4 to use save slot number 4.

And the same thing applies to writing the respective save files without forcing a custom file name.

ExtremeDude2
3rd June 2011, 01:28 AM
Updated 2nd post

HatCat
3rd June 2011, 01:29 AM
Yes that would most likely be the case. :D

ExtremeDude2
3rd June 2011, 03:43 PM
Nope, this is still valid because it saves as *.5pj NOT *.pj5

HatCat
3rd June 2011, 08:03 PM
lol, well that wouldn't happen to possibly because of the 30-day-trial shareware edition of Project64 1.7.0.55 you're using now is it? :D

I mean, why is this in the 1.7 suggestions forum if you're not even a beta member? :p

I have tons of save states in my Saves directory, and none of them end with "#pj". They are all "pj#", so yours is backwards somehow.

ExtremeDude2
3rd June 2011, 08:12 PM
lol, well that wouldn't happen to possibly because of the 30-day-trial shareware edition of Project64 1.7.0.55 you're using now is it? :D

Nope

I mean, why is this in the 1.7 suggestions forum if you're not even a beta member? :p

What does that have to do with anything? And besides if thats was true Jabo wouldn't let people who haven't donated create threads here any way (like he did with the problems section).

HatCat
3rd June 2011, 08:14 PM
Well because you reported a problem, not a suggestion. You're using the 1.6 version right? So it's a problem with the official version that I (as well as others) can't seem to reproduce. It seems to be happening so far only for you?

So it's not a valid 1.7 suggestion if it's not even a known bug on 1.6.

ExtremeDude2
3rd June 2011, 08:15 PM
Well because you reported a problem, not a suggestion. You're using the 1.6 version right? So it's a problem with the official version that I (as well as others) can't seem to reproduce. It seems to be happening so far only for you?

So it's not a valid 1.7 suggestion if it's not even a known bug on 1.6.

Good point, sorry.
But, that doesn't mean it doesn't still happen.

HatCat
3rd June 2011, 08:23 PM
It shouldn't happen. .5pj instead of .pj5 is totally bass-ackwards. :D

Is there a particular ROM this happens with, or have you noticed it happening with official games as well (not just messed up public domain ROMs with no image title and stuff)?

Also what if you try...
Options, Settings...
Advanced tab,
disable "Automatically compress instant saves" ?

ExtremeDude2
3rd June 2011, 08:28 PM
Is there a particular ROM this happens with, or have you noticed it happening with official games as well (not just messed up public domain ROMs with no image title and stuff)?

Well it happens with DK64 not sure about others.

I

Also what if you try...
Options, Settings...
Advanced tab,
disable "Automatically compress instant saves" ?

I always do that (saves and loads faster:D)

HatCat
3rd June 2011, 08:31 PM
Heh...I agree. :D I should disable that setting myself from now on. I've been having them zipped all along, but I've only had like everything else uncompressed and raw for faster loading. Now that you mention it I think I'm going to turn that off.

Well how about, testing this temporarily, have that option turned on instead of off to compress the native saves for now? With Mario64 or some other game? Then does that issue with naming the save extensions happen?

In the meantime I'm going to test without the compression like you've been doing and see if maybe there is a bug.

ExtremeDude2
3rd June 2011, 08:34 PM
In the meantime I'm going to test without the compression like you've been doing and see if maybe there is a bug.

May take you awhile it happens randomly. Note: I do not use a slot (to my knowledge, but I am pretty sure) and it does this.

HatCat
3rd June 2011, 08:43 PM
Yeah, it does take a while. :) I've probably hit F5 over 200 times in DK64 without save compression, and I'm still not seeing any #PJ files, just "*.PJ" since like you I haven't selected a save slot.

Is this something you can reproduce if you like, hit F5 to save (or hold it down to write them repeatedly and fast) and eventually generate an obscurely named file? Or you could only reproduce it gradually while playing the game harmoniously as you went along and eventually at points in the game get that weird file extension. See if you can just keep hitting F5 repeatedly or hold it down in the same area or something and get that weird extension.

ExtremeDude2
3rd June 2011, 10:29 PM
Yeah, it does take a while. :) I've probably hit F5 over 200 times in DK64 without save compression, and I'm still not seeing any #PJ files, just "*.PJ" since like you I haven't selected a save slot.

Is this something you can reproduce if you like, hit F5 to save (or hold it down to write them repeatedly and fast) and eventually generate an obscurely named file? Or you could only reproduce it gradually while playing the game harmoniously as you went along and eventually at points in the game get that weird file extension. See if you can just keep hitting F5 repeatedly or hold it down in the same area or something and get that weird extension.

I think it happens when you open PJ64 for the first time (meaning you if you want to find this problem you have to open PJ64 again every time you save).

HatCat
4th June 2011, 06:58 PM
Well man I haven't had any luck yet. The way I took what you said, I only used F5 right away after loading the ROM in Project64 (or wait a while until I get further into the game sometimes and then save), ended emulation, then restart and F5 again, etc..

Here's a small excerpt from the 1.4 source showing that it should just be PJ for the extension though. :/

sprintf(FileName,"%s.pj",SaveAsFileName);
sprintf(ZipFile,"%s.zip",SaveAsFileName);

Again, try testing just if it happens again, just with the compression turned on next time to see. Also try re-installing the RDB or using a separate but new installation of Project64.

ExtremeDude2
6th June 2011, 05:42 PM
What would you do if I told you this was a joke and that pj64 really does save right? (it is not a joke thou, just wondering what you would do:p)

HatCat
6th June 2011, 10:50 PM
uhh I'd think that you were secretly intending some more-deep message behind the "joke" and that there might in fact be a glitch with uncompressed save states I wouldn't happen to be aware of. =[

Though at the same time I'd be relieved XD, cause maybe it's more simple than I realize, and that something I haven't tested all that much might not have any bugs.

ExtremeDude2
6th June 2011, 10:52 PM
uhh I'd think that you were secretly intending some more-deep message behind the "joke" and that there might in fact be a glitch with uncompressed save states I wouldn't happen to be aware of. =[

Though at the same time I'd be relieved XD, cause maybe it's more simple than I realize, and that something I haven't tested all that much might not have any bugs.

I thought maybe you would be pissed :p (because of all that testing).

HatCat
6th June 2011, 10:58 PM
oh XD

Well it did drag my patience to my nerves saving and reloading all that damned time. I mean I know and like DK64 man, but I'm not in the middle of a game. :D I'm in the middle of mass-spamming these forums with my (albeit helpful and useable) posts, and I don't want making a bunch of saved states for a game whose play is not on my current list of fun to have getting in my way.

Although I did try which is part of why I still think you could test with the ZIP compression back on for the saving.

But seriously, I'm not an ingrate. If it turned out that you were joking I'd be mostly relieved.

well, except at what might happen to this thread if some mods were to see the result

ExtremeDude2
9th June 2011, 08:47 PM
I am starting to think I was wrong (maybe I did press "5" and it saved as *.5pj or maybe I just read it wrong).

HatCat
9th June 2011, 09:13 PM
phew...

Err, I mean,

Well like, that probably would need that Save As... thing to customize the extension, so maybe there still is a bug with that somewhere. Then again if you can't reproduce it again then well idk, might have just been a one-time interference from some other process you had running? :D idk

ExtremeDude2
9th June 2011, 11:34 PM
phew...

Err, I mean,

Well like, that probably would need that Save As... thing to customize the extension, so maybe there still is a bug with that somewhere. Then again if you can't reproduce it again then well idk, might have just been a one-time interference from some other process you had running? :D idk

Well it has happened at least 3 times (assuming that it happened :p)

HatCat
10th June 2011, 12:54 AM
Unless you had a save slot selected all 3 times or used a forced file name to specify it would have to be a bug though.