PDA

View Full Version : Sumoto n64 adaptor- how to get it to work?

wisedude
26th November 2008, 12:19 AM
I got it working, but I have a problem. It doesn't seem the joystick is sensitive enough (though I've set deadzone to 0) For example, in mario 64 no matter how far I'm pushing, I'm always just walking, not running. How do I fix this?

Smiff_
26th November 2008, 12:39 AM
adjust range

wisedude
26th November 2008, 01:08 AM
I have the range set at 100%.... Moving the range down to 0 makes it not work at all, and anywhere in between I see no difference. Anything else to try?

I read somewhere to try the n-rage plugin.... I got everything working in that EXCEPT I couldnt get the joystick to work at ALL in this one.... Is there anything else I can try?

jo6769
29th November 2008, 10:22 PM
i'm thinking about buying the sumoto adaptor. does it work fine for anyone here?

DrGFunk
5th December 2008, 05:08 AM
Funny you should ask about this device. I just purchased this (got it yesterday via Priority Mail) and for the pros who know how to get it working would you mind helping me here? Also the OS I'm using is Vista Premium.

So I plug the device in first and Vista auto-detects it in the system. I plug in a 3rd party N64 controller and it shows a red light. I flip a switch then it turns green. I attempt to configure the controller via the Pj64 emu but it goes bezerk when I try to config it. All it does is "auto-map" buttons. Confused, I try to fix the issue at hand by going to the Device Manager in Vista to see what's the problem. I go to controllers and see what it's doing and its somehow flashing alot of buttons without me even pressing them. I try the drivers disc but its "Help file" is catered to mainly people who have either Win 95\98 so that the help file on the mini-disc didn't help much either. I tried pluging in a PS2 controller and still nothing in terms of responsive input in other emus, just more non-responce from some controllers I tried. Also, the box states that you can only have just one controller plugged in at a time and its better that you have the 1st party stuff I think. What other options should I try before selling this thing? Also, would a standard PC USB PS2 like controller(with dual-sticks, 2nd stick for C-button use is what I'll try) work just as well instead of a converter box? And will the 2nd stick on the USB pad work for detecting the "C-buttons"? If so, my verdict for anyone trying to get the emulated experince of a N64 controller is to beware of this device and to use at there own risk.

bradweiser
3rd January 2009, 03:31 PM
I've tried all the suggestions posted in this forum. I can't get the sumoto converter to work correctly. I am running Windows XP. I have tried different controllers, including the original ones that came with the Nintendo 64 game console. I experience the same problems posted here. When I try to configure via the Windows control panel it either just goes bezerk through all the steps without letting me configure it, or it just doesn't react correctly when it asks me to move the stick around. I've tried each of the available input controller plugins in Project 64 as well, with no luck. I've adjusted the range and the deadzone and still no luck. The closest I can get is putting the deadzone at 0 and the range at 100. However, it is still unusable as it only slightly lets you turn left or right.

Has anyone got this thing to work correctly? Does it work on older Windows operating systems such as Windows 98? Besides the adaptoid, which seems impossible to get right now, are there any other ones that actually work on Windows XP?

squall_leonhart
3rd January 2009, 07:24 PM
Use nrage v2, and disable the use real n64 range checkbox.

bradweiser
3rd January 2009, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the info, I have the original nintendo 64 joypad working much better now. I still can't get the c-buttons to work correctly, but I just have those mapped to the keyboard. I have RealN64 Range turned off, Analog stick range at 100%, deadzone at 0%. I am also using the N-Rage v2 input controller plugin.

I have the sumoto usb converter working also with a PS one controller and an Interact gamepad used on the Playstation 2. I still can't get things to work properly with a yobo Nintendo 64 controller.

Shaun_of_Light
23rd January 2009, 04:11 PM
Ok guys. I just bought this. Please explain to me from scratch how to get this thing to work so I can test it.:)

n8dawg412
31st January 2009, 11:51 PM
In response to bradweiser... I have the same problem as you... however I cannot even configure the buttons... every time I try and click on a box to set a particular button from the controller it automatically fills it with its own choice

Suggestions!!??

choked
13th February 2009, 09:29 PM
has anyone figured this out yet? I just bought this adapter and a controller to go with it thinking everything would work 100% effecient. but I cant even get the controller to calibrate in windows control panel.

suggestions?

Shaun_of_Light
14th February 2009, 04:14 AM
I just read online that this thing isn't guaranteed to work with the N64 controller but the playstation and psx2 controller.

choked
14th February 2009, 04:18 PM
aw man :( bummer.

Shaun_of_Light
14th February 2009, 07:34 PM
aw man :( bummer.

Now you're really choked. Me too. Lol!

wiseguy12851
5th April 2009, 04:31 AM
I'm a software developer and programmer, This is an adapter, it's not a PC joystick I have red people remarks on calibration and multiple buttons.

Do not calibrate on Windows Windows is setup for gaming devices setup for a PC not a controller for console, it works perfectly but please don't calibrate

Thee sumoto like that adaptoid converts the N64 button signals to workable with the PC so it's normal for 2 buttons to to press on the PC when pressing one on the joystick, every adapter works differently

Bottom Line
Use N-Rage controller plugin and remove N64 Range option
Set deadzone to 100% unless you don't want the analog stick to move
program as normal, the analog stick should show (X+ and X-, Y+ and Y-) No Z at all, Z is 3-D movement such as twist joysticks way ahead of N64 decade

If your getting info like RZ+ or something wierd like that make sure the calibration is removed by resetting to default in control pannel, removing controller or adapter and plugging in will not reset calibraton This only applies to those who have tried the calibration themselves

The Reson for the adatoid
This is perfectly manageable but the adaptoid does make a little easier to work with plus you have direct access to special features such as working with memory packs, rumble packs, Gameboy game features for games such as Pokemon Stadium, and microphone for Hey You Pickachu

The sumoto only makes it a joystick

Zeldalover13
2nd August 2009, 04:41 AM
I tried everything wiseguy12851 said to play Majora's Mask, the d-pad and analog stick doesn't work. I tried to open a new file (A file I had saved deleted for some reason...) and it started me out in the Mayor's Residence; it shows first person and then doesn't move at all same with Jabo. I tried it with Jabo on Ocarina of Time and everything seemed to work, except Link can't run and on Nrage, still can't use the stick or d-pad.

squall_leonhart
2nd August 2009, 08:39 AM
I'm a software developer and programmer, This is an adapter, it's not a PC joystick I have red people remarks on calibration and multiple buttons.

Do not calibrate on Windows Windows is setup for gaming devices setup for a PC not a controller for console, it works perfectly but please don't calibrate

Thee sumoto like that adaptoid converts the N64 button signals to workable with the PC so it's normal for 2 buttons to to press on the PC when pressing one on the joystick, every adapter works differently

Bottom Line
Use N-Rage controller plugin and remove N64 Range option
Set deadzone to 100% unless you don't want the analog stick to move
program as normal, the analog stick should show (X+ and X-, Y+ and Y-) No Z at all, Z is 3-D movement such as twist joysticks way ahead of N64 decade

If your getting info like RZ+ or something wierd like that make sure the calibration is removed by resetting to default in control pannel, removing controller or adapter and plugging in will not reset calibraton This only applies to those who have tried the calibration themselves

The Reson for the adatoid
This is perfectly manageable but the adaptoid does make a little easier to work with plus you have direct access to special features such as working with memory packs, rumble packs, Gameboy game features for games such as Pokemon Stadium, and microphone for Hey You Pickachu

The sumoto only makes it a joystick

shut up dumbass. Even adapters require calibration.

Tucluc_Licada
14th August 2009, 07:43 AM
I can't even get any buttons to work with this thing. I tried "calibrating" it, but I don't know what the heck I'm doing with that.

Tucluc_Licada
14th August 2009, 08:06 AM
I guess I'm having problems like everyone else with this x/y/z positive/negative axis mess. If this really doesn't work, than what is everyone else using that is?

Emmett
20th August 2009, 05:32 AM
Well, maybe we can isolate the issue, as right now it sounds as if there's problems everywhere.

Is the controller not working outside of Project 64 (ie, in the windows control panel)?
Is the controller not working in Project 64 1.6, and what pluggins have you tried?
Is the controller not working in Project 64 1.7, and what pluggins have you tried?

It would be nice to know exactly where the issue lies.

Moody
20th August 2009, 02:17 PM
Well, maybe we can isolate the issue, as right now it sounds as if there's problems everywhere.

Is the controller not working outside of Project 64 (ie, in the windows control panel)?
Is the controller not working in Project 64 1.6, and what pluggins have you tried?
Is the controller not working in Project 64 1.7, and what pluggins have you tried?

It would be nice to know exactly where the issue lies.

The controller doesn't work ANYWHERE. I tried wiseguy's instructions and they didn't work. The problem lies with the driver. The one that comes on the cd cannot be read by windows at all. So windows recognises the controller through the adapter as a 4axis 16button joystick.

I have tried it through USB1.0 and USB 2.0 and there's no difference. Maybe if someone is still running windows 98 or ME they could have a try with it? As that is what the instructions say it's designed for. But new windows are usually backwards compatible.

I also tried it on Linux with the same problem. It looks like there is a dirty signal coming from the adapter to the PC, as the PC can read everytime you push a button (it lights up in the configuration screen) - but all the other keys are being randomly pressed at random intervals as well.

A new driver is needed or a hardware mod.

Hope that helps!

Tucluc_Licada
22nd August 2009, 02:06 AM
My problem was with the controller actually. I bought one on ebay and it was a knock off. I bought an original and it works just fine.

Ylizor
2nd September 2009, 07:33 PM
Sooo no solution?
Buy adapters until one of them works?
Because this does work for other people.

Moody
3rd September 2009, 02:07 PM
No solution as of yet.

I am using an original N64 controller. Maybe the chip inside needs some reprogramming. I might open it up and look around when I get the time. Right now, I've just connected a PS3 controller and have been using that on my computer.

Ylizor
6th September 2009, 10:54 AM
Anybody tried the Dual USB Adapter for N64?
http://www.4triangles.com/catalog/dual-usb-adapter-for-n64-controller-nintendo-64-to-pc-p-28.html
Or this one
http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/gc_n64_usb_adapters/index.php?category=