PDA

View Full Version : Where should saves go?

zilmar
26th November 2008, 08:10 AM
When we started Project64 the operating system generally used was Windows98. We designed Project64 so that it would work in a self contained folder. We still use this design now; everything works from that one directory without needing an install. This also works great if you want to put the emulator onto a memory stick and run it from there...
With the current design of Windows (2000, XP, Vista onwards) being for multiple users and security around which users can modify files, this design of PJ64 does cause some problems. One of the problems is that limited users are not allowed to modify files in the Program Files directory. And if one user modifies settings, then this affects other users on the same system that also use this program.
Vista gets around this issues by virtual mapping writes to the program files directory, to the user directory.
So where should saves, settings, etc be stored in PJ64 v1.7 - user directory, application directory? Should we determine by the location of the .exe? Should it work differently on different OS's etc... ?? Your thoughts please.

HatCat
26th November 2008, 08:35 AM
What's the point of complicating it?

If you installed Project64 you may not necessarily have full control over the subject, but can you think of reasons why someone is damned to using a limited account on their own PC? A kid and his Russian father got nothing to do with this--it's a matter of permission then.

There are other possibilities, but I'm convinced the vast majority don't need to worry about this 'issue' for a reason. Naturally complex software expects admin credentials but to make an exception with something gaming-related?

[lexx]
26th November 2008, 02:14 PM
There should be an option in preferences for setting this explicitly.

The app should check if there's settings.ini in the same dir, if not - check for in current user's 'application data' folder. The rest of settings/saves should be in that dir. If there isn't one, use defaults.

Also there's a good practice to check if you have a write permission to the settings/saves every time you start the app. If not, copy all read-only data to 'application data' and work with it separately with no further access to original files.

Smiff_
26th November 2008, 02:31 PM
[just seeing if i can correct a typo on news page by editing the post in the forum, or if its copied to the forum database so both need edits]
ok they are separate so i've cleaned up some grammar/typos on the news page now zilmar

i won't state my opinions on this until more people have had a chance to post theirs..

Mystery
26th November 2008, 08:38 PM
The saves section should be an easy shortcut whereby it then pauses the game and prompts you for saved game name (automatically filling it in with the game title for those who just want to add extra in the end, or those who don't care what to call it). The default saved games location should be in the "Game Saves" folder, separating it from the other saved files...

eg:

Game Saves
Image Capture Saves
Controller Configurations
etc
(They dont necessarily need those names)

LazerTag
26th November 2008, 09:21 PM
Though I used to be quite against it I must say I really enjoy applications and games that retain settings and files in the "My Documents" folder in Windows.

I switched some time back to partitioning my system with an OS partition and then apps/games/emu. As such I generally make sure to backup my OS partition since it takes the longest to get everything back in order from disaster. And of course having it all right there already makes it that much easier. While I don't backup the main programs anymore as reinstalling a game or app is nothing if you have the documents, saves, or settings already.

So I would vote to make it the "My Documents" location with a "My Project64" folder and default named directory structure, a default named directory structure with the EXE, or finally give the user the ability to change it where they would like manually.

Mystery
26th November 2008, 09:42 PM
We have to think mostly about both windows xp and vista, perhaps crowning the whole project in its own little virtual machine can fix the user security issue with window xp?

shadowth
26th November 2008, 11:41 PM
I think this could be easily fixed with quick question on the beggining of the installation.

Either ask if you want to install a standalone version (portable) to any directory of your choise (so people can run from usb drives and so on). This version could have a folder for settings/s states and so on.

Or, install the fixed windows version, with the option to install just for you (which would retain all saves and settings only for your username) or for everyone, which would then make all settings and saves shared.

:)

legend
27th November 2008, 12:24 AM
Please, please just keep it in the App's directory. I access this folder alot, and I don't want crap in My Docs or going searching for it elsewhere. I'd say, leave it alone. It works fine on Xp and I don't think the multiple user thing is that big of a problem.

HatCat
27th November 2008, 12:24 AM
With the default setting of disabled

With that user-specific settings aren't stored in the registry I guess they have to go somewhere. Of course provided there is more than one user--unless they're all admin accounts--the situation isn't unique since that can be more of a guest situation, but everyone is different.

Kahenraz
27th November 2008, 04:23 AM
From a compatibility perspective you should use the Application Data folder in 2k/XP/Vista.

In my installers for example, I offer the user a choice between "Install for all users" and "Install for the current user" with a browse file dialog below. When the user chooses a radio button the dialog changes between "N:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ProgramName\" and "N:\Documents and Settings\CurrentUserName\Application Data\ProgramName\". If the user prefers to use their own folder they can specify by entering it manually or using the "Browse" button.

If you allow the installer to support relative directories here then users can install to a pen drive without having to hard-code a drive letter.

If you want your program to be compatible with a many configurations as possible on Windows you should review the "Windows File System Namespace Usage Guidelines":

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=88ad7e7c-4068-48b8-9503-e160a6693bba&DisplayLang=en

The registry is also depreciated in Windows Vista so you will have to decide if you want to store information in easily accessible ini, xml, or custom binaries. Another good read:

http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2007/11/26/6523907.aspx

So I would vote to make it the "My Documents" location with a "My Project64" folder and default named directory structure, a default named directory structure with the EXE ..

Please don't hijack My Documents:

Stop the madness: Subdirectories of My Documents (http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2006/12/28/1374334.aspx)

squall_leonhart
27th November 2008, 02:12 PM
Project64 should default to installing its folder to the root of the HDD. past that i don't care if my settings affect others, because the emulator is what i setup in the first place, anyone else is just a player.

wildgoosespeeder
27th November 2008, 08:53 PM
My opinion on this matter:

Instead of changing setting styles from "one setting for all users" to "each user has his/her own settings", have the option to switch between the two. This way this satisfies all. (I personally like the current setting in Project64 v1.6.) As for the user's directory, there is a folder called "My Games" in the "My Documents" folder.

(Windows XP)
C:\Documents and Settings\{user}\My Documents\My Games\Project64\saves

Something of that nature would work.

Jabo
27th November 2008, 09:46 PM
I agree I'm kind of sick of apps hijacking my documents application data should be defacto by now - only downside is it's hard to find but we could solve that with either a shortcut in pj to open the location from pj or some kind of import/export wizard?

Anyway is there really lots of users in multi user environments? Just curious as I kind like things all self contained in one folder makes life simple.

Smiff_
27th November 2008, 10:28 PM
how about: let's associate saves with pj64 (which entails changing our save filenames from .pjN.zip to just e.g. .N.pjsav - which is still a zip file though, just with its own extension, and N is the slot number). then users can double click on our saves, and as long as the rom is in their rom folder, PJ could find the rom and load the saved position. nice yes? like opening a document really.
- might also require adding a text file to the zip with the rom filename

i want to throw one more thing in before i address the topic:
i have roaming profiles setup on my home network (aswell as limited user restrictions).
what this means is: some folders are included and others are excluded from the part of the userprofile that roams; large files should (and this is MS guidelines again not just IMHO) be in \%Username%\Local Settings\AppName, and not %AppData%\AppName. this stops them roaming. save states i think are large files (for roaming purposes, considering its easily around 20MB per game if using several slots). just something else to consider please..

Smiff_
28th November 2008, 01:34 PM
one important point that v1.6 users may not know:
1.7x doesn't use Windows Registry any more (it uses a single config file in the root of AppDir for both app and default plugins).
so in this regard, it's currently less compatible with Vista than 1.6 was, because different users running the app from the same dir will fight over settings.

We (hope) this is what most users prefer, but we're in the middle of this change (and not totally sure where we're heading :P). Of course older plugins and 3rd party plugins may continue to use HKCU (Registry, Current User) if they wish..

There has been no change yet to where files created by PJ64 are written (still currently subfolders of AppDir) so that's what this topic is about.

manaman
29th November 2008, 06:15 AM
Hi there,

I felt the urge to sign up on this site and add my concerns. As a long time user of Project64, I am confident that you will make an informed decision and one that will be for the greater good of your product. All the same, I believe--as a user and not a developer by any means--that having the entirety of an emulator contained in one folder which may be managed directly by the user is a great system. While I know this can create problems as you outlined in your post, I have never had the need for multiple users to access my emulators. I am the only one using the computer which my emulators are on and I find no reason to have saves stored anywhere other than within a user defined folder which can be kept within the Project64 folder.

These are just the two cents from a long time and appreciative user. I hope they help,

manaman

Smiff_
30th November 2008, 01:38 PM
I think there's going to have to be an option near the beginning of the install wizard to keep everyone happy:

1) "Multi-user install" (make this the default, at least on Vista and XP?). must be running installer as admin (if not admin, grey this option out and explain this). where exactly different files go i'll come to later, but no user config or saves are written to appdir (explain this also). start menu and desktop shortcuts, if selected, are added for all users on the system.

2) "Portable install" - do not need to be running the installer as admin (if not admin, this is the only option available). all files are written to appdir, so full permissions are required for use (explain this). start menu and desktop shortcuts, if selected, are added for current user only.

that about covers it? there is no 3rd option needed i think?
i'm just wondering what the default path should be for a portable install? for multiuser install its obviously %programfiles%.

edit: i realise the topic says Saves but really we have to consider all files i think..

legend
1st December 2008, 02:37 AM
I still hate the fact that we're going to use an installer! There's nothing wrong with everything zipped up so users can copy it where they want or just copy the new components to their existing Pj64 location (given the majority are existing users). That way users know exactly where every file goes to, where it can be found and where everything is when it comes time to delete or change. At the very least please offer both: install package and the zip package. The zip package will still have an exe which upon 1st launch can do everything that you guys are suggesting - that is to have the "Saves" path point to a particular location. And yes, lets stick with inis and avoid the reg at all costs.;)

squall_leonhart
1st December 2008, 03:17 AM
actually, im pretty sure most users would prefer saves to go in Documents\My Games folder rather then in application data. still ends up being per user that way.

Mdkcheatz
1st December 2008, 01:04 PM
I wonder if sending save files to the "shared" or "Public" documents folder will solve the "user made it" so "only user can use it" issue. Wouldnt that then make the files compatable for all users being written directly into the shared documents or public documents folder?

Perhaps sub folders kind of like this:

Shared Documents > PJ64 Saves > ├ Game Saves
----------------------------------├ Controller Profiles
----------------------------------├ Image Captures
----------------------------------├ AVI Captures (;))
----------------------------------├ Etc...

Zerosan
1st December 2008, 06:49 PM
I think it should ask where to save its settings and saves on the first startup.

1. In the User Directory.
2. In its Installation Directory.
3. In a custom directory.

If it is beeing started from a directory different from Program Files/Programme
it should have Installation Directory selected as default.
If it is beeing started from within a Program Files directory it should have User Directory selected as default.

Smiff_
2nd December 2008, 10:24 AM
ch**st, theres about 10 ways to do this and most of them are valid. this'll take a while to reach agreement methinks..

Mdkcheatz
2nd December 2008, 10:31 AM
ch**st, theres about 10 ways to do this and most of them are valid. this'll take a while to reach agreement methinks..

By the power invested in me: let's vote!>? that's the only way to solve such a debate!

squall_leonhart
2nd December 2008, 07:06 PM

Well Documents\My Games is the easiest to access, appdata is usually a hidden folder,

as long as i can still set a hard location for both the settings and the saves, its not a major problem with me.

Total commander uses a ini item to set it to use the windows dir, registry, or program dir for its ini/settings location.

Chesso
4th December 2008, 07:46 AM
Why not support profiles in PJ64 so different users can have difference settings (or in more personal cases for specific games), then each individual can save what ever, where ever they darn well like :).

Smiff_
4th December 2008, 03:45 PM
Why not support profiles in PJ64 so different users can have difference settings (or in more personal cases for specific games), then each individual can save what ever, where ever they darn well like :).

that is what we're talking about. each user will be able to have their own .cfg, and hence all their own settings. the problem is more how to set that up.

Smiff_
4th December 2008, 03:48 PM
Well Documents\My Games is the easiest to access, appdata is usually a hidden folder,

as long as i can still set a hard location for both the settings and the saves, its not a major problem with me.

Total commander uses a ini item to set it to use the windows dir, registry, or program dir for its ini/settings location.

I agree with the people who have already posted to say why My Documents is a no-no. unless, that was one option presented in the setup wizard (and not the default).

e.g.

wizard step1: choose type of install
*Single user or portable install
*Multiple users

wizard later step: save location for current user (skip this for portable install, just use $AppDir\Saves, user can change later)
*%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Project64\saves\ for states, %AppData%\Project64\saves\ for native saves (recommended for roaming profiles)
*My Documents\My Project64 saves\
*Browse for save folder... (choose your own)

etc

silverdevil
8th December 2008, 02:31 AM
that is what we're talking about. each user will be able to have their own .cfg, and hence all their own settings. the problem is more how to set that up.

If a user can't save their game because their account does not have permissions to save to the folder then they can't edit a cfg file in the folder.
also I think that you should at least offer a version that can be unzipped and not installed which is totally self contained for portability's sake. also limited users cant install programs anyway and some people make myself would rather use a self-contained zip file is then a installer so we avoid the mess of cleaning invalidated registry entries after we uninstall it. Registry cleaning is such a nuisance.:mad: So do not eliminate a self-contained zip folder.

zilmar
8th December 2008, 03:07 AM
limited users cant install programs anyway and some people make myself would rather use a self-contained zip file is then a installer.

At some stage I will us NSIS for the installer, I believe 7zip is able to treat these like a zip file, depending on how it is set up.

thegamefreak0134
9th December 2008, 05:15 AM
I'm of the opinion that it should be an option when one installs the program. If the install is done in "portable" mode, like to a pen drive directory, then the saves would be in the application. If not, then the application should store settings in the User Directory.

Also, a lot of programs I've seen tend to allow the user to choose between saving settings per-user, or saving settings globally. This is done at install time, but you could also do it from within the application. You could save a "global" set of the settings, and then per user decide whether to use the global setting or a user defined setting.

But those are just my ideas. I think the simplest solution right now would be to allow the installer to choose between the user directory or the application directory.

-gamefreak

geniv
15th December 2008, 12:08 AM
I say keep the old format of no installation needed. and single self contained directory.

I don't like having to deal with installs and registry etc.. to run a program.

the program is small anyway. every user can just make a new directory and unzip PJ64 there and run it as their own.

with the days of 500Gig HD being norm what's an extra 10-15 megs per user to have their own directory of the program.

even if you have like 100 users on a single PC. that would be 1gb anyway not really that bad.

it works and it's simple.

I like my games having it's own directory and everything in it. it makes moving and uninstallating much easier.
lets focus on making the emulation better instead of making things easier/complicated for idiots that for one reason or another can't run it :)

walkabout
15th December 2008, 09:32 AM
I agree with geniv all the way, the more you mess with Registry and Files Permission stuff the more complicated it becomes and pulls it apart from the emulation issues that still need working besides adding a layer of trouble for the final user.

Melchior
16th December 2008, 02:22 AM
I have always used this Directory Structure:
C:\EmulatorsRoms\"ConsoleType"(which is where the Primary Emulator will be stored)\.
.\(Extra Emulators in there own Directories)
.\ROM|ISO|Card(vba) to store the rom and image files. (FOR SNES it stores most types, ROMS, SRM, SaveStates, and Cheat files

.\(For N64/GBA/Genesis, etc Seperate Directories are used to store
for Genesis I use something like this...... sorry I'm not at home I just can't seem to remember off the top of my head.

I like it the way it is, with me having the options to tell PJ64 exactly where I want it to store/retrieve the Emu files.

billd
18th December 2008, 08:53 AM
- config files should be saved in %appdata% (C:\Users\userName\AppData\Local\Project64)
- the ROMS should be placed in the user's documents folder (C:\Users\userName\Documents\Project64 ROMS)

Mario92
18th December 2008, 02:04 PM
I think you shoul think about working together with PortableApps (http://portableapps.com/) about penstick version. :D

Melchior
18th December 2008, 10:27 PM
- config files should be saved in %appdata% (C:\Users\userName\AppData\Local\Project64)
- the ROMS should be placed in the user's documents folder (C:\Users\userName\Documents\Project64 ROMS)
Thats fine if there are multiply users on the same PC using the emulator.
but If anything ever happens to the system and you have to reinstall the OS the "Documents and Settings" folder will get deleted. I NEveR put anything in the folder with the exception of programs that won't let me put it any where else. Setting Files should always be located with the program itself.

panzeroceania
19th December 2008, 05:39 PM
I say keep it all in one folder, it's easier to keep track of and delete all if I want to. I know how to take care of my saves. Just keep it all in the same folder.

CA5
20th December 2008, 07:31 PM
I say keep it all in one folder, it's easier to keep track of and delete all if I want to. I know how to take care of my saves. Just keep it all in the same folder.

Hmmm, all my saves are kept in the default save folder. being a Vista-hater, I don't really have any problem with it being that way :)

Vorpal86
21st December 2008, 02:20 PM
Hey folks

I have always liked the idea of having portability and not having to worry if there are settings and other info scattered throughout the system. So it would be good to use the current style of saving everything to the PJ64 directory so that you can move the folder anywhere you want without the need to set things up again. It's always good to know exactly where your files are being saved, and the ability to change them how one sees fit.

Also, pj64 doesn't really need an installer. I prefer to just unzip things to where the user chooses. I don't mind installers as long as everything that get's installed, also gets removed too with the uninstaller. I've seen lots of apps leave files behind. Mostly shortcut files in the start menu cause someone has changed the folder path to the shortcuts in the start menu. So, if anyone has uninstalled an app with shortcuts and has moved them from where they were placed originally, you need to delete them manually.

Home directory is where things should be stored, and being able to change the save paths in the emu is still good practice.

emodel
23rd December 2008, 09:42 AM
Yes please, start scattering files everywhere, like other bullshit programs.
I suggest using registry for everything (different keys for each parameter of course), plugins in %Common Files/Plugins% etc
That's the way to go (M$ thinks that, so you can't be wrong).

Melchior
23rd December 2008, 09:55 PM
The Windows Registry is a joke, its bloated enough as it is...
I store every thing I use in a Single Emulation Directory and Sub-directories for each console, and subs to those to store the ROMS, SRMs, Savestates, etc.

Storing anything of importance in the DOCs & Settings is foolish.

kyled
2nd January 2009, 11:50 PM
So, anyone gonna post anything useful or is pj just gonna sit here for years at a time?

there hasn't been a post since november!

post something new please!

Melchior
3rd January 2009, 07:08 PM
Just leave it the way it is, one set of self contained folder, with sub-folder as needed.

Oehr
4th January 2009, 07:10 PM
one single folder: where the exe is.

i hate "where the heck are the save/config files".

old design is the best one. registry is just a pain in the ass and the app folder is annoying too. one folder. thank you:)

MagamiAKO
2nd February 2009, 08:25 PM
Hello,

I just wanted to chime in on this topic because I feel it's pretty important here.

You should write the software in accordance with the operating system's guidelines. It should be no question. If your users are complaining about having to manage save game files then you should offer them a menu of sorts to manage those files for the user. (Something akin to import/export bookmarks in Firefox/etc.)

It really shouldn't be any question on how to handle this. The people on this forum who are talking BS about Windows--it doesn't matter in the end, this is the OS you're dealing with. And its conventions should be followed.

If developers followed the conventions of the OS, there would be far less problems than there are today.

I expect the PJ64 developers to be able to, for example, clean up their own registry mess if they indeed use it.

You could offer the option of a portability mode for those users that want that, as well. However, my assumption is that most of the time this function is overrated. Who exactly needs portability on a game emulator? Portable TOR, Firefox, IM programs--I can understand all of those to an extent. But an N64 Emulator?

HatCat
2nd February 2009, 10:43 PM
what he said

twocows
18th February 2009, 02:33 AM
Hello,

I just wanted to chime in on this topic because I feel it's pretty important here.

You should write the software in accordance with the operating system's guidelines. It should be no question. If your users are complaining about having to manage save game files then you should offer them a menu of sorts to manage those files for the user. (Something akin to import/export bookmarks in Firefox/etc.)

It really shouldn't be any question on how to handle this. The people on this forum who are talking BS about Windows--it doesn't matter in the end, this is the OS you're dealing with. And its conventions should be followed.

If developers followed the conventions of the OS, there would be far less problems than there are today.

I expect the PJ64 developers to be able to, for example, clean up their own registry mess if they indeed use it.

You could offer the option of a portability mode for those users that want that, as well. However, my assumption is that most of the time this function is overrated. Who exactly needs portability on a game emulator? Portable TOR, Firefox, IM programs--I can understand all of those to an extent. But an N64 Emulator?

I strongly disagree with this. First of all, claiming "who would want the emulator on a flash drive?" is just a poor assumption. I, for one, regularly put Project64 on USB flash drives (mine and my friends'), and I regularly copy/paste the PJ64 folder to other peoples' computers so they can use it easily. Not only this, but I like simply being able to delete one folder off my drive to uninstall (things tend to go wrong eventually, and this makes it much more simple to uninstall).

What I've seen a lot of my favorite applications do is, however, exactly what you suggest: create two downloads, an installer and a portable version in an archive. I've always liked this solution, as the installer works great for many people, but I almost always use the portable version for various reasons.

zilmar
18th February 2009, 08:53 AM
What I've seen a lot of my favorite applications do is, however, exactly what you suggest: create two downloads, an installer and a portable version in an archive. I've always liked this solution, as the installer works great for many people, but I almost always use the portable version for various reasons.

Most likely we will have just one install, where you can choose between the two versions you say.

HatCat
18th February 2009, 11:12 PM
Hey twocows,

I currently have Project64 1.6 on my flash drive. I also learned my lesson and never bring it to school anymore for the most part. This is what my fourth--one for each year?
I actually had Trillian on my first flash drive as well.

Anyway I think he (MagamiAko) was referring to the concept behind concerning portability into other dimensions. He mostly seemed to refer to conforming to the operating system's uniquity more than talking about flash drives.

Jerad Gray
19th February 2009, 04:06 AM
I PERSONALLY like the way it works currently, I find installers to be annoying because they often break and quit working as newer and newer operating systems get released, plus it seems somewhat dumb to have a full-blown installer for a program that is about 2 MB in size. As for save location, if you guys wanted to get really complex you could have it save to the directory of the exe like it does now, but also give the user the option to set up their own destination folder as well.

squall_leonhart
23rd February 2009, 05:43 AM
It already does.

Deepfreeze32
1st March 2009, 07:27 PM
Meh.

I like the way the save system currently works.

Keep up the good work guys!

Jerad Gray
5th March 2009, 09:51 PM
It already does.

And I like it that way:)

Ferneu
15th March 2009, 06:39 PM
NO!!!!!! No more installers!!!! No no no.

Windows sucks too much already. When I, as a windows user,
hear the word installer I imeddiatelly associate it with some
freaking application writting stuff on the register. Stuff that
requires you to use an uninstaller to remove the application
simply because it wrote stuff there and, the worse part, is
not done properly and many times there is still garbage left
there.

Just keep the saving system as it is. In fact, keep everything
as it is. No installers. Simply decompress the software on a
folder and that is it. Wanna remove it? Delete the folder. Simply
as that. PERFECT as that.

If you really, really, really wanna bother yourself with multi-
user issues, I suggest you simply create a folder, inside the
predefined save folder with the name of the current logged
user. And that is it. Simply as that. Don't waste your time
with trival issues. In fact, don't waste your time even doing
that. No one is giving you guys any money for you hard work,
except for a few gentle souls out there that might have
donated a few bucks.

If someone is worried about muiltiuser issues, let them create
separated folders and copy the emulator on each one of these
folders. Let they have the "Little John PJ64", "Susie PJ64" and
"Smith PJ64". The emulator's size is not on the GB range.And
we are not on the 486 era anymore. I'm sorry if some users
still have their disk quotas given to them in floppy disks, but
we are currently on the terabyte HDD era. Deal with it!

PS: thanks for the great work you've been doing on this emulator!

PS2: I don't know how many people have downloaded PJ64 since
its initial release. Lets just keep it low and imagine 1.000.000.
Now imagine if each one of those had paid one single dollar...
Do the math! Life ain't fair, isn't it?

HatCat
15th March 2009, 08:05 PM
One issue with the simplicity is this emulator's unique design so far for suitability to beginners and those not familiar, so an installer saves the work of manual configurations like shortcut creation. Some people don't even know how to extract archived contents.

But that's only on a professional scale to have an installer, right? Otherwise...
Isn't it rather coincidental that such lost to that extent probably pirated their copy?
Why should an emulator be professional? Unless made by the hardware manufacturer

Life ain't fair, isn't it?
I wonder how long that saying has gone around anyway. "Who said life was fair?" Bah, crazy suicidalists

ltsiver
19th March 2009, 02:41 AM
It's my opinion that if you guys are going to use the no installer model, where installers are not needed, just having the files all in their own directory tree is a good idea. If you're going to use an installer, have the installer give you the option of installing to a directory that the user specifies (which i think it might now) and then use the tree after that. Since both Vista and Win7 are going to use the more secure multiple user model (which in my opinion is good, and also lends you guys to develop on limited permissions model, which is better when coding for other OS's as well) then have it install to somewhere like a flash drive or a user folder and not the program files folder. Also, stick all the related DLL's (or libraries for other OS's) with the project 64 files. That way it's all together, and easy to move. This software tends to be used by techies, so making it easy for techies is a good idea.

Just my two cents...

squall_leonhart
8th April 2009, 12:55 AM
One issue with the simplicity is this emulator's unique design so far for suitability to beginners and those not familiar, so an installer saves the work of manual configurations like shortcut creation. Some people don't even know how to extract archived contents.

But that's only on a professional scale to have an installer, right? Otherwise...
Isn't it rather coincidental that such lost to that extent probably pirated their copy?
Why should an emulator be professional? Unless made by the hardware manufacturer

I wonder how long that saying has gone around anyway. "Who said life was fair?" Bah, crazy suicidalists

They shouldn't be allowed to use a computer then.

prometh
10th April 2009, 04:44 PM
Make it go in the user's folder by default, but definitely allow us to change this in preferences. I plan to run Project64 in wine and do not want scattered files.

RipSaw
13th April 2009, 09:43 PM
As far as saves go, it doesn't make much of a difference to me at all. I prefer the saves stay in the folder the game is located in, instead of going God knows where. It's my experience that using the search feature on Windows is often faster than trying to find the location where a game saves a file. (The "My Games" folder on my computer only has 2 folders in in despite the fact I have many more games than this.) On the other hand, as long as the game takes care of that for me, it doesn't make a difference anyways.
As far as portability is concerned, I prefer programs that do not write stuff to the registry, and as of late I have been using those types of programs with increasing frequency. That being said, that's because it makes it easier to delete said program with nothing left over should a better program come along/that program turns out to be crap, which I know isn't the case with PJ64. :D

HatCat
14th April 2009, 12:06 AM
Yeah it's an emulator, and because there's so much that still can use debugging, storing to the registry doesn't seem to do anything but help inconvinience those who upload unauthorized archives of any version of Project64, revoke the ability of a local backup for uploading to some one else for testing problems, and alarm Vista for restricted accounts (and also XP limited user accounts with the error messages on installation that can be ignored).

The RDB settings however are locally stored, but those are much specific into what each setting does and--in the current configuration system for those settings--can always be screenshotted from a single window.

Bighead
22nd May 2009, 05:51 AM
Hey people, it's been awhile since I checked up on the whole emulation scene. The recent discovery of the advancement of PCSX2 has gotten me back into emulation for the time being, so I figured I'd check the status of some of my other favorite emulators and came across this.

What I would like to see on the next release, is instead of just having an installer version available for download, is to have a binary available for download as well. This would be useful to anyone who is concerned about installing it to the default directory. TBH, Project 64 is one of the few emulators that actually do have an installer, and its more of a pain than a benefit. ;)

This will also benefit users who keep the emulator in a custom folder. We wouldn't have to run the installer, drag it out of program files, then (if your like me, and stupid things like this bug you), delete the entry in the Programs and Features in Vista (Add/Remove in XP). Its a (lot!) of extra work that could be avoided if i could just extract-drag-drop into my Emulation directory, where multiple user accounts wouldn't bother it anyway, not that I use them.

Off topic just wanna say thanks for this great emulator. My friends and I have been enjoying it for many years now, from time to time I still hold 4 player Goldeneye and Perfect Dark matches on my PC. It's definitely become a work of art over the years, been toying with it since its early days and it's come a long way.

To rswedlow: If I remember (from ur CHM emails), you are Iconoclast. Figured I'd say Hello. :D

camy415
22nd August 2009, 04:41 PM
Just keep them in the app folder simpler for everyone

HatCat
22nd August 2009, 09:56 PM
We know what else is simple for everyone is why they're gone.

bighead I'm just too damn shy but hi back! :eek:

presidentof69
24th September 2009, 04:38 AM
I liked the settings being in the same place with the exe, allowing for the folder to be moved as a chunk, as I put it on a flash drive and it worked great.

muellhierrein
27th September 2009, 04:02 PM
Hi,
I don't know if you know it but your (zilmar) specification for plugins have been changed for mupen64plus. This is because of a different location scheme on linux and macos. Maybe you should take a look on it and maybe merge it in a new plugin api version.

First start was a SetConfigDir. This is for config files as any plugin could create. This is (according to xdg basedir specification (http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html) on linux/unix systems) by default in ~/.config/PROGRAMNAME/. I've added two other function for debian so that mupen64plus real follows the specification for other files than config files. This includes SetDataDir and SetCacheDir. Datadir is for anything which is important for the user but not a configuration file (savegames, screenshots, highres textures, ...) and it by default in ~/.local/share/PROGRAMNAME/. A cache dir is for anything which only for saving cache files like rombrowser cache or caches for downloads from web and so on. It is by default in ~/.cache/PROGRAMNAME/.

/************************************************** ****************
NOTE: THIS HAS BEEN ADDED FOR MUPEN64PLUS AND IS NOT PART OF THE
ORIGINAL SPEC
Function: SetConfigDir
Purpose: To pass the location where config files should be read/
written to.
input: path to config directory
output: none
************************************************** *****************/
EXPORT void CALL SetConfigDir( char *configDir );

ORIGINAL SPEC
Function: SetDataDir
Purpose: To pass the location where data files should be read/
written to.
input: path to data directory
EXPORT void CALL SetDataDir( char *dataDir );

ORIGINAL SPEC
Function: SetCacheDir
Purpose: To pass the location where cache files should be read/
written to.
input: path to cache directory
EXPORT void CALL SetCacheDir( char *cacheDir );

Maybe it is a good idea if something like this also exists on windows and set the directories like this when the user wants to change the behavior (ask for it for example during the installation). So for example save important data stuff to "user/Local Settings/Application Data/Project64/" by default for only-in-pj64-folder-user, save config in "user/Application Data/Project64/" and cache files in "user/Local Settings/Temp/Project64/" directory. These files are relative to the "Documents and Settings" directory in XP. Please read Windows File System Namespace Usage Guidelines (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=88ad7e7c-4068-48b8-9503-e160a6693bba&DisplayLang=en) for the correct directories on different version of windows (so "user/Local Settings/Application Data/" is now "user/AppData/Local" and "user/Application Data/Project64/" is "user/AppData/Roaming").

This mode should also be default on zip installations. If a installer is used then it should create a file on installation which contains the information "multiuser mode" or "single user mode". Something like mirandaboot.ini.... Yes, it is a program which works as "everything in app directory" when it is used after it gets unpackaged from zip file or in "everything in appdata folders" when the installer has installed it.

Just for illustration. Folders of mupen64plus could look like that on Debian:
~/.local/share/mupen64plus/
~/.local/share/mupen64plus/screenshots/
~/.local/share/mupen64plus/save/
~/.local/share/mupen64plus/save/Nad Niemnem By Eliza Orzeszkowa.st0
~/.local/share/mupen64plus/save/Nad Niemnem By Eliza Orzeszkowa.eep
~/.local/share/mupen64plus/hires_texture
~/.local/share/mupen64plus/hires_texture/Nad Niemnem By Eliza Orzeszkowa
~/.cache/mupen64plus/
~/.cache/mupen64plus/rombrowser.cache
~/.config/mupen64plus/
~/.config/mupen64plus/mupen64plus.conf
~/.config/mupen64plus/cheats.cfg
~/.config/mupen64plus/jttl_audio.conf
~/.config/mupen64plus/RiceVideoLinux.ini
~/.config/mupen64plus/hires_texture
~/.config/mupen64plus/Glide64.ini
~/.config/mupen64plus/RiceVideo.cfg
~/.config/mupen64plus/blight_input.conf

zodac
15th October 2009, 09:18 AM
...............*dead*

mickrussom
7th November 2009, 10:53 PM
...............*dead*

Is this thing dead. If I was working on it, I would put this on subversion with a source browser. Whats the point of hanging on to the thing in half dead state for years on end?

Whats with people not wanting to give out source code and not even sell new versions or do development that could generate revenue? Whats the point of freezing something up like this?

mickrussom
7th November 2009, 10:54 PM
NO!!!!!! No more installers!!!! No no no.

Agreed. Installers are truly the scum of the earth, along with the WinSXS/side by side assembly bull. Unzip (and include the DLLs you want in the folder if its MFC or NET) and go. Installers reek.

A_Pickle
11th November 2009, 12:15 AM
It should be per-operating system, per-user. Think about it. By nature, saving games is a per user function! We have game saves precisely so that Gordon won't load into Alyx's game, and disrupting her progress through it. It's to protect each player's "right" to fully enjoy the gaming experience, even though they may be sharing a single gaming device. So I say again: Per-OS, per-user. Wherever that directory is, it should be there. At the moment, I can only speak for Windows...

...but for Windows XP and before, Project64 should go create a folder called "Project64 Save Games" or just "Project64" in the "C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\My Documents\My Games" folder. It should then store each save game file in an automatically generated, per-ROM sub-directory. So, for example, a savegame for Super Mario 64 would go under "C:\Documents and Settings\A_Pickle\My Documents\My Games\Project64\Super Mario 64".

For Windows Vista and Windows 7, it should go in the conveniently provided "Saved Games" folder. This is one of my biggest gripes about gaming on Windows, is that there has NEVER been a standardized place to put game saves or any other type of gaming work (such as mod work, maps, sprays, etc). With Vista and 7, there is finally an obvious place in which to place game saves, at the very least. So put them there, and have them follow the same rules as XP does. Using my previous example, Project64 would save that Super Mario 64 savegame in "C:\Users\A_Pickle\Saved Games\Project64\Super Mario 64".

However, as a user that understands the sheer impossibility of a "one-size fits all" approach, I humbly DEMAND that you allow the user to customize the location of this directory. It's bad enough that there is no organized standard, but when companies just have their games create directories in my DOCUMENTS folder (which I rather like to have DOCUMENTS contained within, not savegames) and THEN possess the audacity to deny me the ability to customize it's location at ANY time... it irks me. It irks me to no end. So, to recap:

Rules for all Operating Systems:
Per-user
Per-operating system

Rules for Windows XP:
Default: "C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\My Documents\My Games\Project64\<corresponding ROM>"
USER-CUSTOMIZABLE!!!

Rules for Windows Vista/7:
Default: "C:\Users\<user>\Saved Games\Project64\<corresponding ROM>"
USER-CUSTOMIZABLE!!!

sh6dowflameX
15th November 2009, 05:39 AM
Project64 should keep the saves in just a folder in Project64.
For example:
C:/Desktop/Project64_1.7_BETA1.0/SAVES

The saves should be just like the N64 saves. You open Mario64, you get Mario64 save file.
Nintendo used that. Stop trying to be better than Nintendo.

Emmett
16th November 2009, 09:40 AM
Hmm.... This is a good question. My vote goes towards in the PJ64 folder since I run PJ64 in Wine. But this has already been suggested by other posters, so I'm just upping the request count lol.

guest86
21st November 2009, 08:44 AM
Project64 should keep the saves in just a folder in Project64.
For example:
C:/Desktop/Project64_1.7_BETA1.0/SAVES

The saves should be just like the N64 saves. You open Mario64, you get Mario64 save file.
Nintendo used that. Stop trying to be better than Nintendo.

I suggest use this way unlike SNES emulator did!

Windows 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, 2003 Server, Vista, 2008 Server, 7, 8, and last Windows 9 should support Project 64.

I skip Vista and 7 because not fix problems on old PC games. I stick XP forever until Windows 8 or 9 fix a lot of problems go away unlike XP. I will suffer for a longest time to pick right on stable operating system like XP.

:cool:

Lebon14
22nd November 2009, 10:56 PM
[B]I skip Vista and 7 because not fix problems on old PC games. I stick XP forever until Windows 8 or 9 fix a lot of problems go away unlike XP. I will suffer for a longest time to pick right on stable operating system like XP.

:cool:

Oh and one day, Windows won't activate after a reformat. You call Microsoft and they will answer you that WinXP is not a supported OS anymore.

Way to go!

Funny how Project64 1.6 works fine on Vista & Win7 with full FPS (I have a Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 2GB of RAM & nVidia GeForce 8500GT). All my plugins works.

Btw, don't blame Microsoft for breaking old games. You have to blame the programmers of the game. Also, you can dual-boot with Win7 : that means you have two OS. Also, Win8 & 9 aren't gonna fix things as far as I know because there are rumors that says that Win8 will be 64-bits only. So, if your games are 16-bits, they're not gonna work anymore.

Last thing : XP NEEDS TO DIE IN A FIRE. I'm a proud user of Windows Vista & Windows 7.
----
To the main subject : Anywhere in the User folder. Best would be in PJ's folder but if I install myself PJ in Program Files, the saves should go in the User folder somewhere.

squall_leonhart
23rd November 2009, 05:32 AM
windows 7 has issues playing starcraft.

NickF1227
5th December 2009, 04:16 AM
I find if you kill explorer beofre you launch starcraft, the color issues are fixed. The taskbar is constantly trying to draw over starcraft, so it creates a color bug that has plagyued SC since the beginning.

HatCat
5th December 2009, 04:38 PM
I haven't tested Windows 7 yet, but as these options appear for Windows Vista, do they also help

Auto-hide the taskbar
Keep the taskbar on top of other windows

from when I right-click the taskbar then picks Properties.

adammw
6th December 2009, 01:29 AM
I don't agree. Installers seem to be one key part of letting NT-based OSes(2k,XP,Vista,7) cope with security issues. I'd say offer two versions - one as a zip that runs out of the current folder (e.g. dubbed the "Portable" or Windows9x version) and a installer-based version which defaults to per-user settings, but has a "Install for current user only" and "Install for all users of this computer" option, so it can act as either (install for current user only would extract it and run from the folder, and default to a User's folder rather than Program Files).

This is what many other applications I know do, and I think it would be good for Project64 to do.

Quite frankly, I don't really mind the *default* behaviour, as long as it can be easily changed in the INI or registry, or with a command-line option.

squall_leonhart
7th December 2009, 12:43 AM
I find if you kill explorer beofre you launch starcraft, the color issues are fixed. The taskbar is constantly trying to draw over starcraft, so it creates a color bug that has plagyued SC since the beginning.

Old news, i was the person who discovered and made that known in the first place.

its the Freeze due to a broken backbuffer locking that im talking about.

guest86
15th December 2009, 05:20 AM
Oh and one day, Windows won't activate after a reformat. You call Microsoft and they will answer you that WinXP is not a supported OS anymore.

Way to go!

Funny how Project64 1.6 works fine on Vista & Win7 with full FPS (I have a Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 2GB of RAM & nVidia GeForce 8500GT). All my plugins works.

Btw, don't blame Microsoft for breaking old games. You have to blame the programmers of the game. Also, you can dual-boot with Win7 : that means you have two OS. Also, Win8 & 9 aren't gonna fix things as far as I know because there are rumors that says that Win8 will be 64-bits only. So, if your games are 16-bits, they're not gonna work anymore.

Last thing : XP NEEDS TO DIE IN A FIRE. I'm a proud user of Windows Vista & Windows 7.
----
To the main subject : Anywhere in the User folder. Best would be in PJ's folder but if I install myself PJ in Program Files, the saves should go in the User folder somewhere.

You get me wrong. I have clean activation crack for my legal XP to disable annoy 30 days to removed and will stay forever! You are misunderstand. I learn a lot things on warez forums. Duh!!! :p :cool: I happy found at warez forum - Underground Forum. Someone post rare activation crack for Windows XP. No more call Microsoft anymore! I can modded my operating system to different pretty design. Windows XP can't defeat and never die! XP core is very solid and stable yet! Windows XP fans already told them! How about Bomberman Atomic game for PC? It will not work on Windows 7!!! Think yourself again. I wait for Windows 7 Service Pack 2 or 3 to solve all problems! It hard to crack Windows 7, people are stuck for a longer time. But 2 to 5 years later new activation crack will come to Windows 7 to be full cracked and active self.

Screw Microsoft off!

Oh cool. I know Vista and 7 have problems with some games and programs.

Man! Why not get VMware software and install multiple operating on your operating system like Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista, and 7? It is much better than Windows 7's weak of VMware software. Windows 8 will have 3 way are: 32 Bits, 64 Bits, and 128 Bits. I recommend 32 Bits over 64 and 128 Bits. Yeah Starcraft have problem with colors. I heard from people said. Another some games have more problems on Windows Vista and 7 than XP. XP running all games without problems. I'm happy with Windows XP! :p

kyled
21st December 2009, 11:32 AM
Windows 8 will have 3 way are: 32 Bits, 64 Bits, and 128 Bits. I recommend 32 Bits over 64 and 128 Bits

Sorry to tell you this but after windows 7 x86 (32 Bit) is being DISCONTINUED.
Windows 8 will only be available in 64 Bit, and possibly 128 bit if It is completed in time.

mickrussom
22nd December 2009, 09:00 PM
Windows 8 will only be available in 64 Bit, and possibly 128 bit if It is completed in time.

32bit + PAE = 64GB mem support. Can't see needing more than 64GB.

The only reason 32-bit is being deprecated is Windows is very difficult to make portable because the architecture is filthy and mired in spaghetti, and this is coming from MSFT's very own Technical Fellow (distinguished engineer) Mark Russinovich. He complains vociferously about Windows in the context of the creation of MinWin.

They should have maintained the Alpha port to maintain proper 32/64 bit discipline. Instead they dropped alpha and lost the discipline and discovered they needed to "relearn it" for Opteron/Hammer/Athlon64/K8 and newer. The only modern OS that does the 32/64 stuff properly is Solaris. You can boot a 32-bit or 64-bit kernel on the same userland, totally pain free.

The 64 bit transition was handled very very poorly by MSFT. The fact the kernels cant drop in for one another and the fact PAE is very poorly supported on the workstation/home NT kernels (apparently due to licensing idiocy) is really a sad sign of the times.

Yet the deprecate EAX, DirectSound, DirectMusic to do "cleanups", yet they have old trashy fundamental screwups like "system32" that they dont cleanup, but they deprecate perfectly working APIs.

Pathetic, really.

squall_leonhart
23rd December 2009, 05:10 PM

No its not dumbshit. there will always continue to be a x32 market. it won't just disappear in 4 years.

iceman
25th December 2009, 11:29 PM
Save go in the project 64 folder in program files in the saves folder i use windows 98

jpmccord
29th December 2009, 11:25 PM
From a user account with administrator privileges...

If the program is installed in a Program Files folder, just highlight the files that need to be modified from time to time (save states, config, etc.), right-click, choose Properties, and select the Security tab. Find the option to give general users the ability to Modify/Write to the file. There should only be a few.

If there is a whole folder for save states, then apply the security settings to the folder.

I had to do this with the playlist and configuration options for my older version of foobar2000 recently. It works flawlessly once the files that save your changes have the proper security flags.

Almamu
30th December 2009, 02:05 PM
Please use the App folder, i have it on a pen drive

thering
8th January 2010, 11:17 PM
I agree with several others that the best option is to give users the option of choosing to store roms, saves, etc. in user folders or inside the PJ64 sub-directories. One of the things I've always appreciated about PJ64 is the way it kept things organized in one set of folders, I definitely don't want that changed, but I can also understand how other users would require PJ64 to operate under limited privileges.

tedifreak
10th January 2010, 04:54 PM
well me as a computer gameing dude i was absaloutly awed at this program every thing went every were so why you friggin dumb asses make a program for windows xp and aloso get out of the fucking corner you know and love and get a life make better programs and please make a program for xp thats not seperated and you could simply just get conkers bad fur day and zelda and all that shit. so dont take this personaly you program sucks cock because its just bull shit and if you make my request call it the nun bullsit ver, project 64 is a good pro gram itself but its lack of coperation it leavs it a 3 out of 10 the typos are for him to read and understand >:/ oh yeah snake snake SNAAAAAAAAAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

furryfangs
11th January 2010, 02:01 PM
well me as a computer gameing dude i was absaloutly awed at this program every thing went every were so why you friggin dumb asses make a program for windows xp and aloso get out of the fucking corner you know and love and get a life make better programs and please make a program for xp thats not seperated and you could simply just get conkers bad fur day and zelda and all that shit. so dont take this personaly you program sucks cock because its just bull shit and if you make my request call it the nun bullsit ver, project 64 is a good pro gram itself but its lack of coperation it leavs it a 3 out of 10 the typos are for him to read and understand >:/ oh yeah snake snake SNAAAAAAAAAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned for Foul Language(waves) have a nice day:) i like to see you do better i also see typo's in your message try little harder to read correct and submit besides that the program is better the all i give a 10/10 for the effort the team has put together to give us a great gaming experience 10/10 play's nearly all games great sound graphic quality and easy controls cheats advanced options (where should save's go)the PC User can always make there own saves folder with just two clicks and one word(right click click new folder name as Save) can be put anywhere(if necessary put them in document's folder)

Predator82
7th February 2010, 03:59 PM
i would like to have the config in the application-folder, not in registration
game-saves & memcards can stay imho

mandaloin
9th February 2010, 08:34 PM
what would i like to see? well first off where the saves go are fine for me, but there should be an option also. and back in the day i was a star wars fanboy and even though nemu can run star wars rougue squadron it wont let me program in my controllers axis so im SOL there. id like to see pj64 1.7 be able to run that game. also, id like to not get epilepsy every time i play shadows of the empire. that screen flicker gets really old.

squall_leonhart
10th February 2010, 06:02 AM
there is a patch available to make rogue squadron run on XP-7-x64

Zerothis
17th February 2010, 04:34 PM
Saves should go in a users folder, not in the program's directory. I don't want the other users of my system messing with my saves. Neither they want my meddling. Linking to the saves in the program's directory is fine.
For portable use, make a portable version of Project64. This could be an option in the software. A button [Transfer me to USB], [Project64 to go], [Project64 Portable]. Likewise an import button, [Transfer me from USB], or [Project64 import me]

lawrbaby
17th February 2010, 11:46 PM
Hi
Playing Ocarina of Time

I do multiple saves to save my progress

When I re open project 64 and the game, I can't figure out how to load the game I have saved, I lose all the progress and have to start from the beginning

So frustrating!

Please anyone help!

thanks
lawrence

Predator82
22nd February 2010, 09:18 AM
under system in 1.6 is restore/load state f7 & load/load ctrl+l

kyled
3rd March 2010, 11:28 AM
No its not dumbshit. there will always continue to be a x32 market. it won't just disappear in 4 years.

Yes it is dumbshit. Microsoft has stated that Windows 7 Will be its last operating system available in x86.

By the way, there is no such thing as x32, moron. If you knew anything about computers this argument might be worth the effort.

Salahedin
7th March 2010, 06:31 AM
Well here's the thing: in Project64 1.6 ROMs had automatic saves, like when you normally save in the game. However, there is another way of saving, manually, on the program itself, and the loading of the save is super quick and it loads exactly where it was saved. :/ not sure what's better..

dsx_
7th March 2010, 11:30 AM
Savestates do have that advantage, but they can be unstable. the autosaves are the native saves found on the n64 cart.

squall_leonhart
7th March 2010, 02:51 PM
Yes it is dumbshit. Microsoft has stated that Windows 7 Will be its last operating system available in x86.

By the way, there is no such thing as x32, moron. If you knew anything about computers this argument might be worth the effort.

tell that to developers releasing x32 and x64 apps.

dsx_
7th March 2010, 11:37 PM
i think hes fussing over the terms x86 and x32 :P

Kamasama
30th March 2010, 08:06 PM
Save data and config data should go in the user directory by default, with an option to place it in the root folder instead.

41STd
5th April 2010, 12:51 AM
I have been using PJ64 for some time now, and love it. I installed it on a USB drive, and have always run it from there, with no files on the pc. This means it is essentially a portable application, which I love. I can carry it from computer to computer, playing my games, and not having to install it for every single machine I run it on. I like this, and think it should be kept that way.

I dislike games like BF2 where the user data and saves are put in the \YourUserName\Documents\ directory, because I have to transfer my user files from computer to computer as I play (I made BF2 portable also, hehe), which is annoying at the best of times.

So, for best convenience, keep the saves local. Put them in the directory where PJ64 was installed. \Docs\Saves\ would be a likely location. It would just automatically save them in the Docs subdirectory, and create a Saves folder within the Docs directory, where all saves would be put. Very convenient that way.

BTW, does anyone else run PJ64 as a portable program, or is it just me?

Fluffbutt
8th April 2010, 10:00 AM
Definitely, keep saves in the same folder as PJ64.

Also keep config files and ini files there too. I'd EVEN go so far as to say ignore the registry completely and put ALL files (even plugin configs) the the exe folder.

Total portablility, no bloat added to an already bloaty registry, no hunting through sub folder after sub folder to backup the saves and settings..

ldrancer
10th April 2010, 08:33 AM
yea i hate the my documents thing. i never used it, they made it up, not me. i'd say, if you can, make a username register when you log in pj64. have it store 25 accounts max on it. the screen show everyname, you can have an auto log in, checkbox next to one name. that way up to 25 people can login to it. and there's a folder for each name, stored under usersettings, or something, that puts ini's of each settings. have it autolog in, with a checkbox. or 25 names you can register up to, on one box when it starts, spelled out and all you have to do is click. if you letting someoen use your computer you shouldn't mind, and you have to have a hardrive. makes no sense to me to gripe about your files. use winzip to password protect them. i use to do that. heh, hahaha.
and have a logout and switch to another user maybe button under file menu. if you've auto logged in to another account. roms can be stored in the regular folder and you can have accounts stored in a customizable folder. just they won't auto migrate. and have any customizable stuff under names. memcards, all that. all user settings under their folder. and the application pics up the folders names, but just the first in alphabetical order 25 folders, incase anyone makes more folders. so use the application to make accounts.

Carocrazy132
9th June 2010, 06:31 AM
Save data and config data should go in the user directory by default, with an option to place it in the root folder instead.

He is correct, I run mine off of my external hard drive, but most don't. I would be fine with taking 3 seconds to tick a box to fix it.

... Total portablility, no bloat added to an already bloaty registry, no hunting through sub folder after sub folder to backup the saves and settings..

Maybe just make a "Portability Mode" checkbox for us who use non-os-integrated storage devices.

ChickenofPluto
29th June 2010, 04:18 AM
I have a slight problem. I have never gotten Zelda oot to work, finally decided to try it again and got all the kinks worked out. I got quite far really. Suddenly the sound went out on project. I figure, hey its ok its done it before. So I get that fixed. And out of idiocy, on mistake, I hit the restore button... I am now at the very first water temple... I tried restarting project in hopes my saved game would come back.. it didn't ='( is there any way possible I could get it back or is it simply a lost cause? Thanks.

HatCat
29th June 2010, 02:24 PM
Funny you mention that since three users so far have requested a save for Zelda OOT, specifically for starting at the Water Temple.

One man's trash is another man's treasure I guess.

To answer your question your progress is basically gone, overwritten and copied to from when you loaded the save state. I had the same thing happen to me several times, so I know how you feel.

ChickenofPluto
29th June 2010, 03:32 PM
='( bummer.... I lost a competition for that too... me and a friend were gunna see who could beat it first, but hes played it 9 millions times and I've played it...0... aw well, thanks alot. Time to start conkers =D

Experiment #150
29th June 2010, 06:40 PM
That's why we should make backups. You can use multiple save states, you know.

Lightbeest
23rd October 2011, 05:42 AM
Backups, they do just that BACKUP

HatCat
25th October 2011, 02:33 AM
Write a command file or batch script if you have trouble. :D

Lightbeest
25th October 2011, 07:12 PM
Write a command file or batch script if you have trouble. :D

Listen to this man, he is going places people, he has made more sales than all of you combined.

HatCat
27th October 2011, 01:35 AM
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j112/rswedlo/fatbuu.png