PDA

View Full Version : Ability to Play Different Rom Versions...

shinra358
10th July 2011, 06:23 PM
I would like to suggest the ability to play different rom versions of a game without switching the roms in the roms directory. Something like what mame does; has the orginal rom and then in sub-text, shows all the different versions and you can choose which one you want to play as well as configure options for each.

ExtremeDude2
10th July 2011, 06:47 PM
Umm...hopw do I put this nicely?

GTFO

:D

Natch
10th July 2011, 06:47 PM
doubtful. But an interesting idea. Maybe, likewise, someone could code the roms to have a menu at the beginning to choose the version, but that's also doubtful, while being a good idea.

HatCat
10th July 2011, 08:02 PM
You could probably use the 7Z support so that if multiple ROMs are in the same 7Z archive Project64 will list which one to choose.

shinra358
10th July 2011, 08:14 PM
Project64 1.6 doesn't seem to read 7zip files. Separating the different rom files in different zips, still make Project64 only choose 1 rom from that family.

HatCat
10th July 2011, 08:18 PM
So? You can't choose multiple ROMs at the same time.

Only one game can be loaded to the emulator at a time. :D

It sounded like you were just asking for a way to start the (E) or (U) or (J) or w/e region version of the same game without having to change the ROM directory every time you want to alternative between them, and I just gave a solution to that.

And Project64 1.6 doesn't have 7-Zip support; it was already implemented in Project64 1.7. This is the 1.7 suggestions forum, which is why I used 7Z as an example.

shinra358
10th July 2011, 08:20 PM
So? You can't choose multiple ROMs at the same time.

Only one game can be loaded to the emulator at a time. :D

Your interpretation is incorrect.

And Project64 1.6 doesn't have 7-Zip support; it was already implemented in Project64 1.7. This is the 1.7 suggestions forum, which is why I used 7Z as an example.

It was taken as an any model suggestion feature thread. I'm not supposed to know what 1.7 will feature since there is not a public one available yet.

HatCat
10th July 2011, 08:21 PM
Your post lacks aptness to have a correct interpretation of it.

You did use MAME as an example, though, which should add some clarity.

HatCat
10th July 2011, 08:23 PM
I would like to suggest the ability to play different rom versions of a game without switching the roms in the roms directory.

You didn't define "versions", you didn't define "switching" i.e. renaming or moving ROM files between ROM directories.

You are all but unable to expect a correct interpretation of something invalid to be interpreted.

shinra358
10th July 2011, 08:27 PM
^Above post was changed. A person can't interpret by rage reading in which that seems like what you were doing given the 'allicy' themed first response that you gave.

HatCat
10th July 2011, 10:20 PM
lol wut?

If by informing you of the uncertainty in one of many possible implications of what you're trying to say is considered "rage reading", I'd have to say the pertinence of this "rage" rests on you my friend. :) You haven't clarified anything about what you're asking, so I'm afraid I still can't help you. You seem to be more interested in arguing about the ease of interpreting something you could easily be clarifying the confusion of, and if that is the only way you will allow your suggestion's conversation to continue then I will just have to try to lend a hand that way. :/

I'm not supposed to know what 1.7 will feature since there is not a public one available yet.

Good, I wasn't accusing you of needing to know what 1.7 will feature.

I said 7Z is supported by 1.7. I wasn't blaming you for not knowing that; I was clarifying that that was why I used 7Z as an example, since you said that 1.6 doesn't support 7Z.

shinra358
10th July 2011, 11:07 PM
lol wut?

If by informing you of the uncertainty in one of many possible implications of what you're trying to say is considered "rage reading", I'd have to say the pertinence of this "rage" rests on you my friend. :) You haven't clarified anything about what you're asking, so I'm afraid I still can't help you.

Experiment_150 gets it just fine. The only one coming off as the person who likes arguments seems to be you and the person that first posted a response. I do not know how you could help me considering I did not ask for help, but simply state a suggestion as this section's thread implies. Your first 2 sentences in your first post in this topic characterizes your statement with one who is agitated and believes he is above everyone else (in america). There is obviously no rage coming from me considering I'm not seasoned here and have not had a reason to act in that manner. If you come off that way here, just imagine if it were in real life. I'm sure other people who hear it may think the same if they haven't already. Tones can be read through text and if you really did not want this convo to end with a "what's up with your attitude tone" then you should not have spoken that way. As for if you did not understand or not, asking questions is the sure shot way to be informed instead of choosing the way you chose to do things. You even answered your own uncertainty in your 3rd post consisting of you clarifying that I did give an example of how Mame does it. If it is still uncertain to you for some reason, I'm talking about the different versions of a rom; for example, Ocarina of time has v1.0, 1.1, 1.2, etc. The ability to choose which one to play in the rom list on the emulator is what was being requested.

HatCat
11th July 2011, 12:21 AM
If it is still uncertain to you for some reason, I'm talking about the different versions of a rom; for example, Ocarina of time has v1.0, 1.1, 1.2, etc. The ability to choose which one to play in the rom list on the emulator is what was being requested.

Thank you. :) See how easy that was? It just takes a little cooperation and proper behavior to recognize that someone is waiting for information. No need to argue or anything, and whether someone is in America or whatever also has nothing to do with it.

Also I'm not sure about the first post I made, but in the second post I was confused so wasn't sure if the question had changed or the like. Sorry for any confusion that caused. I do also know what it's like to be asked questions by people who want you to believe they're confused but are simply challenging your own personal method of saying things; I am sorry if you thought that and assure you that was not the case.

So, by the version, you actually meant the release build of the game, which GoodN64 tags as "V1.0", "V1.1", etc.. That's not the correct way to tag them, but for simplicity sake let's use that notation. At first I wasn't sure if you meant other ways of modifying like which market the game was released in.

Can I verify to make sure I know more specifically what you have in mind? The Project64 ROM browser will still list all of these versions separately, but I'm thinking what you would like to see is that it lists only the single game itself in the list with a user interface option to pick between the versions of the game?

shinra358
11th July 2011, 12:46 AM
So, by the version, you actually meant the release build of the game, which GoodN64 tags as "V1.0", "V1.1", etc..

Can I verify to make sure I know more specifically what you have in mind? The Project64 ROM browser will still list all of these versions separately, but I'm thinking what you would like to see is that it lists only the single game itself in the list with a user interface option to pick between the versions of the game?

Thank you.

OMG! This sucks :P. It does show each rom version separately. I think the alternate versions' archives got improperly converted which is why only one rom name showed up in the rom list. DOH!

Well that just kills that suggestion. ...Well maybe not, I'm about to redirect the suggestion: Since it does in fact show all the rom versions separately when the roms are split into different archives, then maybe all the alternative versions can be put as sub-categories under the original rom name similar to the following:

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/1209/clipboard01al.png

Of course this is not Project64 but I'm now referring to this concept in the pic. It doesn't have to have the emblems and of course it would display the proper rom version names in the appropriate format of Project64. The un-indented listings would be the main files and the indented listings would be the different versions of that file.

HatCat
11th July 2011, 12:50 AM
That's definitely something new for N64. I've never seen that in any N64 emulator; the ROM listings would always be linear and list every single game and version tag. It would be a unique addition to have that.

So basically whichever interface MAME is using, you would like an option in Project64 to see the interface used there as well.

Hm, that's definitely something zilmar would have to be convinced of. He's been doing all the layout, maintenance and public site changes in regards to Project64.

shinra358
11th July 2011, 12:55 AM
Ok cool. It's no big deal if it involves MASSIVE recoding. But if it doesn't, it would be a cool thing to have.

HatCat
11th July 2011, 02:41 AM
No way it's massive. :D Nothing compared to the emulation thread. I'm sure zilmar has the experience to do it, but for what time he could admit to it, probably not a list of interest. I don't know how familiar he could happen to be with the MAME interface...he is usually pretty modest about things, as well as honest. :D