PDA

View Full Version : overscan

squall_leonhart
2nd December 2008, 07:09 PM
hmm i just gave it another try, even widescreen seems to work (you have to set the aspect ratio of the rom to stretch since the game is what compensates for WS not the emu)

can you post screenshots of anything that doesn't look right?

ok in that case widescreen works, but the screen still has black borders, which im sure it doesn't on the TV :P

Smiff_
2nd December 2008, 07:12 PM
ok in that case widescreen works, but the screen still has black borders, which im sure it doesn't on the TV :P

black borders could be correct, many games gained precious N64 performance by not rendering the overscan area. i'm not sure about this game, but its likely.
F-zero is definately correct in PJ64 for example (borders just cant be seen on most TVs)

squall_leonhart
2nd December 2008, 07:15 PM
Thats a good point about the overscan.

Snowboard kids (2?) has the black borders as well, till i enable one of the advanced settings, err, can't remember lol. oh well, as long as the Zelda games have no black border im happy(which they don't ) :P

Smiff_
3rd December 2008, 08:56 AM
legend is referring to the app, and interestingly that's exactly what jabo said, which is why we already have that hidden option (i havent tried it yet)

squal,
ages ago i asked jabo about a "simulate overscan" option but.. this is really on the edge (excuse the pun) of what an emulator should be doing.. not sure.. i still think there's a place for it personally. in theory its simple, you lop about 5% (i think, need to check that) off every edge and expand the remander to fill the same window. in practice.. not so simple - maybe he's thought of a nice way to do it that doesn't involve 2d stretching. i always thought you needed to zoom the viewport slightly. many games aren't even 3d though. its not clear how to do it neatly!

edit: actually i know how to do it... jabo already has a resolution control, but that has origin at 0,0 (top left) and 2 values. we need to either take origin from the screen centre or have 2 more controls, like: min-x, max-x, min-y, max-y. if he can and does stretch source window already in both dimensions i don't see the difference.
edit2: actually, dont make these settable directly, leave the res control ui as is and calculate them internally, then you can have a nice overscan checkbox:
e.g. suppose a game has resolution 320x480 (just to be weird). 5% of those is 16 and 24, so set min-x at 16, max-x at 304, miny at 24, maxy at 456. and i've just realised a bug in this.. the % should be relative to 4:3 not the actual game res.. so do (to be continued..!)

very simple, you get the idea. any thoughts (other than there are about 3 threads worth of the thread in this thread).
edit: sorry was in hurry when i left and messed that up, will repost later when its right.

HatCat
3rd December 2008, 11:29 PM
Direct64 features overscan simulation, and that is an accurate emulator. If an emulator could be perfect there could be more plugins without [much of] a configuration system than ones with excessives such as retexturing--because logically it could be easier.