PDA

View Full Version : Requirements of Project 64

Mikonokia
5th December 2008, 10:40 PM
the title says all what are the requirements for the pj 64?I will buy a new RAM memory and it will increase from 112MB to 256MB is it good?

Smiff_
5th December 2008, 10:52 PM
hmmm if you run Winxp and have nothing else open.. 256MB might be enough.. barely. 512MB would be safer if possible?

i'm not sure because to be honest i don't have any PCs with less than 1GB left..

Mikonokia
5th December 2008, 10:58 PM
I donīt think if it would be possible cause it cost a lot of money.....i will try it if it dont affect anything i will ask money from my father to pay another RAM:D

Smiff_
5th December 2008, 11:15 PM
you should also have a graphics card with pixel shader v2 support.. like a Geforce 5 or later, or Radeon 9600 or later

these parts are often available 2nd hand (used) quite cheaply.. maybe even free if you ask the right people :)

Mikonokia
5th December 2008, 11:17 PM
well i will see if it is good runnig pj64 if it is i will do nothing if it is not i will be looking for some of your ideas thanks:D

squall_leonhart
6th December 2008, 01:51 AM
Project64 can run on as little as 128MB, under Win9x, but it might get a little choked with less then 512 under XP, like smiff said,

Generally once you reach that 512 point, its the cpu and video card that restrict the emulation then.

Mdkcheatz
6th December 2008, 03:08 AM
honestly I wouldn't bother wasting your money on that kind of upgrade to 256MB..... try and use your sisters computer and wait for an entirely new laptop.... I upgraded mine from 512MB to 2GB and my motherboard was replaced free of charge. But get a new pc, modern ones should have standardly good enough system requirements....

Mikonokia
6th December 2008, 09:58 AM
yes but the laptops are very expensive and money is the thing i dont have enought to buy a new one.......I am waiting to my sister to receive her laptop but well my PC only can run 133MHZ of RAM that means only 128MB of RAM:(

Mdkcheatz
6th December 2008, 10:28 AM
get a desktop, they are a lot cheaper, and if you get one online it may be very very very cheap if you can get it with an operating system, and the install windows xp yourself, im sure you can find a copy of xp. then use the manufacturers web site to find the drivers needed to run the computer properly!

[EDIT] dont even bother with upgrading the RAM unless you upgrade to 1 or 2GB, just tough it out and save for something better.

Mikonokia
6th December 2008, 10:30 AM
do you know any site?

tal93
6th December 2008, 10:18 PM
If you're after a new pc you should consider getting a barebone system so you can get cpu and ram seperate, those are the two main things that affect emulation. don't wory to much about graphics card, aslong as it supports PS2.0 it doesn't matter if it's on board, my graphics are and i can run pcsx2.

Mdkcheatz
7th December 2008, 09:48 PM
If you're after a new pc you should consider getting a barebone system so you can get cpu and ram seperate, those are the two main things that affect emulation. don't wory to much about graphics card, aslong as it supports PS2.0 it doesn't matter if it's on board, my graphics are and i can run pcsx2.

well i think the problem be money, honestly, we seem to for get we are dealing with a lot of people who are kids who don't have money, im kind of in the same boat as a college boyhttp://smilies.vidahost.com/otn/ez/ezpi_lovesick.gif, but i do have a decent enough laptop, with 2Gb RAM, but i cannot afford a new pc quite yet!

http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/edoom/spacecraft.gif

Mikonokia
8th December 2008, 12:47 PM
mdkcheatz can i install a windows 98 in my windows XP so i can boot both?

Mdkcheatz
8th December 2008, 01:50 PM
mdkcheatz can i install a windows 98 in my windows XP so i can boot both?

It really depends on the PC, but most computers designed for windows should allow you to dual boot two versions of windows, or one windows and the other operating system can be linux (for example, I dual boot Windows XP and Ubuntu on my laptop)...

The first thing you would have to do is partition your hard drive to make it into two hard drives otherwise you cannot dual boot.

Secondly, before you do anything, you have to back up everything in case something goes wrong, which more than like it may (in my case I reinstalled both linux and windows about 3 time before I got it right)....

and third, make sure someone who has done it before does it with you, messing witth the boot settings is pretty risky and one screw up will require a system reformat like what I did!!

Again! MAKE SURE SOMEONE WHO HAS DONE IT BEFORE HELPS YOU!!!!! or at least does it for you, it's not easy!!!:)

Mikonokia
8th December 2008, 01:57 PM
It really depends on the PC, but most computers designed for windows should allow you to dual boot two versions of windows, or one windows and the other operating system can be linux (for example, I dual boot Windows XP and Ubuntu on my laptop)...

The first thing you would have to do is partition your hard drive to make it into two hard drives otherwise you cannot dual boot.

Secondly, before you do anything, you have to back up everything in case something goes wrong, which more than like it may (in my case I reinstalled both linux and windows about 3 time before I got it right)....

and third, make sure someone who has done it before does it with you, messing witth the boot settings is pretty risky and one screw up will require a system reformat like what I did!!

Again! MAKE SURE SOMEONE WHO HAS DONE IT BEFORE HELPS YOU!!!!! or at least does it for you, it's not easy!!!:)

The only problem is that anyone who i know have done it i would like to install it on my old computer

Mikonokia
8th December 2008, 01:58 PM
well i think the problem be money, honestly, we seem to for get we are dealing with a lot of people who are kids who don't have money, im kind of in the same boat as a college boyhttp://smilies.vidahost.com/otn/ez/ezpi_lovesick.gif, but i do have a decent enough laptop, with 2Gb RAM, but i cannot afford a new pc quite yet!

http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/edoom/spacecraft.gif

like me i am only 14 years and i have to tell my dad that i really really want the money for something that i am using if is it for computer he dont let me pay anything

Mdkcheatz
8th December 2008, 02:02 PM
The only problem is that anyone who i know have done it i would like to install it on my old computer

Well it's entirely up to you, but your talk about a large amount of risk here.... I wish I could help you, but I don't trust myself (hence having to reformat and reinstall yadda yadda yadda)....

you should try and convince them to do it on your computer you have now, but out of curiosity... why do you want Windows 98?

Mikonokia
8th December 2008, 02:05 PM
well they say that windows 98 is the best operating system that is not complicated like windows vista for example...

Mdkcheatz
8th December 2008, 02:24 PM
well they say that windows 98 is the best operating system that is not complicated like windows vista for example...

hah, is that what they say? personally I think Windows 2000 has the most efficiency, but Windows XP is more largly supported and isn't too bad either....

I say screw Windows 98 and get Ubuntu, it takes up 15Gb hard drive space for me and very little RAM... oh! and did i meantion you cannot get viruses? Linux and MAC are both based on Unix and the way it's set up prevents viruses... unless somebody directly install one one your computer... but they have to target you first!!:p

Mikonokia
8th December 2008, 02:33 PM
hah, is that what they say? personally I think Windows 2000 has the most efficiency, but Windows XP is more largly supported and isn't too bad either....

I say screw Windows 98 and get Ubuntu, it takes up 15Gb hard drive space for me and very little RAM... oh! and did i meantion you cannot get viruses? Linux and MAC are both based on Unix and the way it's set up prevents viruses... unless somebody directly install one one your computer... but they have to target you first!!:p

Is that ubunto who gets viruses:confused:

Cazn i download it?
15GB is nothing to me i have 150GB hard drive but RAM my god i only have 118MB....Oh well.....

Mdkcheatz
8th December 2008, 02:37 PM

Cazn i download it?
15GB is nothing to me i have 150GB hard drive but RAM my god i only have 118MB....Oh well.....

No, only windows get viruses, ubuntu (a form of linux) doesnt get any!! If you google it you should find the link to the main ubuntu web site, you can download it for free. Burn it to a CD and boot the CD as a live CD and test the ubuntu to:

1. make sure it works

2. make sure theat what you want.

Mdkcheatz
8th December 2008, 02:38 PM

Cazn i download it?

No, only windows get viruses, ubuntu (a form of linux) doesnt get any!! If you google it you should find the link to the main ubuntu web site, you can download it for free. Burn it to a CD and boot the CD as a live CD and test the ubuntu to:

1. make sure it works

Mikonokia
8th December 2008, 02:51 PM

1. make sure it works

:mad:The problem is that i dont have tools to burn the CD

Mdkcheatz
8th December 2008, 03:01 PM
:mad:The problem is that i dont have tools to burn the CD

The unbuntu company will send you a premade CD upon request, i think u just need to pay for postage and thats all...

Mikonokia
8th December 2008, 03:05 PM
Ok i will see if it is good:D
if it is i will download it...