PDA

View Full Version : !!!NEW APPLICATION NEEDS a Best ROM Directory? (!URGENT!)

Mdkcheatz
10th December 2008, 08:16 AM
Hey Folks!

I am glad to announce that there will be an application made (currently in prototype stage) which will make the PJ64 user interface, shall I say, a little more "colorful." Eventually I will post what it is, and what is does. picture inclused and maybe a Youtube video. Most of you will wonder what even the nature of it is, but sadly I cannot reveal any of that information. I intend on releasing it to the public in celebration to the public release of the final Project 64 due sometime in late 2010 if things go to plan. (I will release the prototype to beta members, upon request only, when it is finished! Friends and authors get the full version when it's finished;))

I will post what it does and picture (maybe video) only, and only when the first finalized stable release is developed! SO hurry and comment!!!!!!!!!

Question to vote:

Which folder is the best folder to save n64 ROMs into? (this may be a stupid question, but the outcome of this question will determine the outcome of the Bo-I mean, application... (oopse, almost let it slip)

Eventually I will make support to choose a directory, but that will come only when the application has it's first build finalized!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE COMMENT, especially beta members!!!!

Hint: you can probably guess a little about of the application by refering to the nature of the question.

Mdkcheatz
10th December 2008, 08:20 AM
I forgot to add...

So far by default I'm thinking:

C:\Users\All Users\Documents\roms

Note: please be reasonable, make suggestions open for all users, alpha members get special privilege to customized their directory manually by me...

squall_leonhart
10th December 2008, 01:34 PM
Dude, just make a Front end!

Smiff_
10th December 2008, 05:55 PM
it would be good to work with someone making a frontend to make sure all the features (command line support, etc) necessary for good frontend integration are present in the next version of PJ64.

zilmar
10th December 2008, 08:16 PM
it would be good to work with someone making a frontend to make sure all the features (command line support, etc) necessary for good frontend integration are present in the next version of PJ64.

there is going to be a limited amount of cmd line settings we can add. Happy to add more that people want.

I think being able to modify the cfg file to change the settings

Mdkcheatz
10th December 2008, 08:58 PM
Zilmar i sent you two PMs explaining more about it;)

Mdkcheatz
10th December 2008, 08:59 PM
I highly recomend you check it out!!!

CA5
10th December 2008, 09:36 PM
Any chance you can 'explain more about it' to me, aswell? I'm having trouble trying to understand what you're doing, though I have this image in my head of you creating a skinning app. I think that would explain the rom directories aswell.

Anyway, whatever it is, hope all goes well, and could you give me a little more detail (over PM, if you so wish ;));

Zach.

walkabout
10th December 2008, 09:54 PM
Well, from the sound of it I'd say it's an interface application in order to customize the settings of your pj64 without having to go through a lot of menus and sub-menus filled with less used options. Basically, a front-end :))

walkabout
10th December 2008, 09:55 PM
Might even have batch capabilities for all I know...

walkabout
10th December 2008, 09:59 PM
By the way, the directory you placed in the first post is as good suggestion as any. From a Vista standpoint the 'users' directory is prolly the best due to the security features built-in on it's explorer interface. And you Vista users already know what I'm talking about ;)

Mdkcheatz
11th December 2008, 04:15 AM
Thank you for you comments keep them coming! They are really helping right now!

walkabout
11th December 2008, 12:14 PM
Of course the greatest application of all, would be a self-configuration addy for pj64 and plugins, based on detected hardware and software at the time of install and also based on which ROM you're wanting to run. To be complete, it should come with on-screen messages about 3rd party plugins (if proved that they indeed make the ROM run better) and additional tweaks that could be applied for the same purpose.

I'm glad I'm not asking for the world here, eh eh....

Mikonokia
11th December 2008, 02:34 PM
i agree with simff it would be perfect

zilmar
11th December 2008, 03:59 PM
when you run a rom via command line.. what happens when want to close the rom.

Smiff_
11th December 2008, 05:00 PM
when you run a rom via command line.. what happens when want to close the rom.

well one of the first features needed for cab/htpc support is Exit on Escape.. which i think, with the remappable buttons, we should already have covered? the frontend detects the end of the launched process (project64.exe) and unhides itself. not sure if that answers your question?

zilmar
11th December 2008, 07:46 PM
well one of the first features needed for cab/htpc support is Exit on Escape.. which i think, with the remappable buttons, we should already have covered? the frontend detects the end of the launched process (project64.exe) and unhides itself. not sure if that answers your question?

I mean it drops down to the rom browser most likely .. thinking you would want the app to terminate or something on rom closed.

CA5
11th December 2008, 07:53 PM
Funny. I asked for details but never actually answered the question.

Yeah, i'd say the 'Users' directory for Vista, and 'My Documents' for XP.

Har-py days.

Smiff_
11th December 2008, 08:23 PM
I mean it drops down to the rom browser most likely .. thinking you would want the app to terminate or something on rom closed.

well, is there any need to end emulation? can you just exit the app safely? e.g. when are native saves written (perhaps you should do an automatic end emulation before exiting, i'm not sure - do you do any cleaning up on end emulation? saving settings?)

zilmar
11th December 2008, 10:19 PM
well, is there any need to end emulation? can you just exit the app safely? e.g. when are native saves written (perhaps you should do an automatic end emulation before exiting, i'm not sure - do you do any cleaning up on end emulation? saving settings?)

I mean I run game X .. when finished .. do you want to go back to pj64 gui or do you want to exit the app and use the front end instead.

Smiff_
12th December 2008, 12:22 AM
I mean I run game X .. when finished .. do you want to go back to pj64 gui or do you want to exit the app and use the front end instead.

maybe i'm being dense - was that a question? are you thinking about adding an option (e.g. to exit on end emulation)?

zilmar
12th December 2008, 01:08 AM
maybe i'm being dense - was that a question? are you thinking about adding an option (e.g. to exit on end emulation)?

Was thinking that would be a good option to add .. more just thinking what options pj64 needed for a decent front end.

Smiff_
12th December 2008, 01:17 AM
I would tackle this the other way around - try to make sure, that if the user exits, however they exit, that the app shuts downs cleanly (write any configs or logs, end emulation, maybe an autosave option? then exit).
i'll have a think about what it should do at startup and exit.

edit: just thought of another very useful option (i'll explain later why if i have to)

"discard any config changes if starting with game from command line"

Mdkcheatz
12th December 2008, 10:01 AM
Dude, just make a Front end!

I appears I already have made a front end squally boy!

Mdkcheatz
12th December 2008, 12:21 PM
i let the cat out of the bag in my newest thread *boxart rom loader*

CA5
20th December 2008, 07:28 PM
i let the cat out of the bag in my newest thread *boxart rom loader*

You slaughtered this thread. You should be ashamed :p

Mdkcheatz
4th January 2009, 09:44 PM
lol shut it zach!