PDA

View Full Version : Goldeneye and Perfect Dark at a smooth 60fps

SubCog
10th December 2008, 10:15 PM
This was mentioned on the old forums, but I havn't seen it on the new forums, and I though it was worth talking about.

There's a small modification to 1964 v.85 that PistolGrip made over a year ago. It essentially overclocks the N64 so that certain games can run at a glorious 60fps, without slowdown, without strange timing issues. Particularly, games like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark run beautifully, like you've never seen them before (except with PistolGrip's code), even in splitscreen multiplayer. For these games, this is the holy grail of emulation. His version of 1964 runs the game perfectly smoothly, but with all of the limitations of a now ancient version of 1964. http://emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=40311

PistolGrip claims that this fix was extremely easy to implement, and that it could be done in a very short amount of time, and could probably be done easily on Project64 as well.

After reading through the pj53 philosophies document, I believe that this is a key feature that should be included in PJ64. Allow me to enunciate this by running through the philosophies, as listed:

1) useful to the majority of users.
There's tons of users who play PD and GE, and many of us see these as the ultimate expression of gaming in the N64 era. There's definitely enough users who would benefit from it.
2) worth the time to implement. this is part of the above point (time vs benefit), but its often hard for people to guess how difficult something is. try to use common sense here.
PistolGrip claims that the fix is easy, easy, easy, to implement. Additionally, with the current plateau in N64 emulation, and with so many games already working beautifully, this feature is indeed the low-hanging fruit in the emulation scene, and has been for a year and a half.
3) explained clearly.
PistolGrip offers explanation and even sourcecode.
4) specific and non obvious.
Check.
5) use the search and read the changelogs and ToDos to see if we have already done it or are planning to do it!
I have not yet seen it in those documents.
6) think about your idea for a day before posting it.
I've been thinking about this since March 2007.
7) try to have a complete idea. think about all aspects.. what sort of interface changes your idea might need (the more, the less likely it is to happen..), what other things it might impact on, etc.
Others have suggested before that this feature should be able to toggle on and off, for players who don't want the dramatically improved experience, and to offset for any un-expected bugs. If you want more specific interface recommendations, I'm a graduate student at Carnegie Mellon, studying human-computer interaction, and I'd be happy to run a full usability study if you'd like.
8) finally, please remember to ask politely and not demand, this as a hobby, not a job. most people understand this but not everyone..
I'm asking politely, but as strongly as I possibly can. I really feel that this is the primo feature to be added, and that the emulation community has been waiting for far too long for someone to implement this into a modern n64 emulator.

Smiff_
10th December 2008, 10:38 PM
you are right - which is why we are trying to implement this right now :)

SubCog
10th December 2008, 11:15 PM
http://www.jalife.net/up/files/orly-ostrich.jpg

squall_leonhart
10th December 2008, 11:36 PM
Yes, though you most likely can't see the goings on, they are trying to get it done.

Klaus83
13th December 2008, 12:02 AM
I would really, really love to see this feature realised. The only thing I felt lacking while playing PJ64 was this annoying stuttering in almost every game, but I always thought: "Don`t blame the PJ64 guys for it, the original game programmers or even the N64`s hardware are responsible for that!" Well, now I can blame you too, because I did not think there was a fix for this issue ;)

Imagining playing OoC, Goldeneye, Jet Force Gemini and PD on my 46 inch HDTV in FULL HD and smooth 60 Frames, well, that almost brings tears to my eyes.

I would immediately donate, to get the beta with this feature, don`t want to wait till 2010 anyway.

SubCog
13th December 2008, 01:45 AM
It doesn't work on every game, since alot of games have other timing related issues. For example, Zelda will always be locked at 20 fps, and MarioKart is all over the board. PistolGrip had talked about a possibility of reverse-compiling individual games themselves, and hacking the timing code, in which case he believes it could be possible to see zelda and mariokart run at a smooth 60fps. I have no idea how feasible this would be, but talk about a holy grail of emulation!

Juanelote
15th February 2009, 05:50 AM
Haha, that would be awesome!!! Imagine to do that reverse compling to Zelda, simply orgasmic~!... lol
Also, i would like to see what's going on inside the alpha testing forum, unfortunately i'm not a beta member, and there's no donation page anymore... shit...
I really don't know what's going on lately, i don't even know if there's any other way to donate, i guess i'm a bit late to donate, but oh well... :(
I have faith in this project, good luck to all!

;)

SubCog
15th February 2009, 02:57 PM
Haha, that would be awesome!!! Imagine to do that reverse compling to Zelda, simply orgasmic~!... lol
Also, i would like to see what's going on inside the alpha testing forum, unfortunately i'm not a beta member, and there's no donation page anymore... shit...
I really don't know what's going on lately, i don't even know if there's any other way to donate, i guess i'm a bit late to donate, but oh well... :(
I have faith in this project, good luck to all!

;)

I was a beta member (paid my $20 or whatever), but I think that was wiped out when the site moved. I'm not aware of any secret bata versions being released.

Shaun_of_Light
17th February 2009, 02:23 AM
I also was a beta member...Hi!

Juanelote
19th February 2009, 06:21 AM
I was a beta member (paid my $20 or whatever), but I think that was wiped out when the site moved. I'm not aware of any secret bata versions being released.

Duude!! Why don't you tell that to Zilmar, maybe he can help you out!
If you really were a beta member, you must tell him, lol!

Jerad Gray
19th February 2009, 09:04 PM
I would really, really love to see this feature realised. The only thing I felt lacking while playing PJ64 was this annoying stuttering in almost every game, but I always thought: "Don`t blame the PJ64 guys for it, the original game programmers or even the N64`s hardware are responsible for that!" Well, now I can blame you too, because I did not think there was a fix for this issue ;)

Imagining playing OoC, Goldeneye, Jet Force Gemini and PD on my 46 inch HDTV in FULL HD and smooth 60 Frames, well, that almost brings tears to my eyes.

I would immediately donate, to get the beta with this feature, don`t want to wait till 2010 anyway.

Yeah, blame the people that have been doing this great project for the N64 fans for free, spending their free time making this. They deserve to be attacked for a project they are doing for fun, because it is not perfect... Oh wait, that'd be ignorant, how about instead you fix it yourself, after all, they arenít doing this for a job, and they are not your public servants to bitch at. If you want someone to fix something for free, you'd best just ****ing do it yourself! Itís not their job to spend 24 7 attempting to make this project perfect for you while you play games on your 46 inch HDTV! They deserve to have fun and do what they like in their free time as well, not just do what you want for free!

User_113
28th May 2009, 09:59 PM
I (Klaus83) had to make a new account, because my old one seems to be broken. Doing a new password did not help either.

However, my statement was not meant serious, dude. How can this be misunderstood?

I don`t want to blame anyone, especially those people who created this emulator. Actually I love those guys and appreciate their work in a way you can`t imagine. As I was a little kid, I had a really shitty computer and no real access to games at all, till the glorious day I bought myself a N64, which opened me the world of gaming. Wow, I was so overwhelmed! A lot of my childhood memories is based on that console, so you can probably think of how I feel about this emulator. It literally makes me possible to conserve a very emotional and important part of my life. Well, I hope the missunderstanding concerning my statement about "blaming" is gone now.

Still, I would like to ask, if anything happened in the meanwhile relating the "60 FPS Fix"? I tried out PistolGrips implementation (into the 0.8.5 version of 1964) and the feeling of Goldeneye was just "WOW!". I really would like to see an option in PJ64 1.7 to activate such a "fix" or the possibility to mess around with it by myself (by manipulating variables).

Along with multiplayer functionality this would really be the "Holy Grail" of N64 emulation, like someone above mentioned.

SubCog
18th October 2009, 03:10 AM
hey, did anything ever happen with this? Do the newest betas have support for 60fps perfect dark?

primeoj
29th October 2009, 07:26 AM
but Perfect dark 64 and goldeneye work perfectly on my computer

lugia1985
5th December 2009, 12:54 AM
I can play perfect dark on single player and hit about 55 fps normally but in multiplayer with 8 simulants it goes down to about 30 :eek: hope the admins and coders try and fix the latency issue i understand the architechture oof the n64 hardware and i know it uses 32bit 2x rdps to one sound chip maybe the answer and holy grail to perfect emulation is in the ram and thread caching :D is there anyway to fix the clipping issue in body harvest ive tried every plugin online i swear its a video code error :mad:

lugia1985
5th December 2009, 12:55 AM
I can as well :) my 9600gt and dual core athlon x2 4200+ 2 gb ram loves it.
But some roms are bad and refuse to be emulated properly :(

Imgema
24th December 2009, 04:40 PM
@Lugia & Primeoj

Even if it seems that these games run at 60 fps, because it says so at the bottom right of the window, they don't. That number shows if your PC emulates the N64 machine at full speed (its 60 for NTSC and 50 for PAL).

However the real N64 didn't run Goldeneye or Perfect Dark at 60 fps... I think the only game that was so smooth on the real N64 was F-Zero X. If a game slows down on the real N64, it will also slowdown on the emulator too, even if you have a 10GHz cpu or something. And both Goldeneye and Perfect Dark could use a smoother framerate (especially PD).

What the OP suggests is a way for the emulator to take advantage of the extra CPU power to make those games run faster (faster=smoother, not in fast forward :p) than they do on the real machine. I tried the hacked 1964 version that allow this kind of thing and these games shine! Especially Perfect Dark that had heavy frame-rate problems. Playing it at solid 60 FPS makes it an almost different experience!

bradsh
17th November 2010, 07:57 AM
Was this ever implemented? It's been 2 years now. Currently the only version of this in the world that works right is that hacked build of 1964 0.8.5 which sucks. I would gladly donate to pj1.7 if I knew this feature was in.

HatCat
18th November 2010, 01:51 AM
Wasn't this just some overclock or hack fix of some sort? I don't remember exactly what this did, but I do remember Smiff coincidentally discussing this in the alpha forum shortly before this thread was started. :confused:

squall_leonhart
18th November 2010, 09:28 AM
Vi refresh modifier.

HatCat
18th November 2010, 06:34 PM
Vi refresh modifier.

Haha is that your way of saying this is already implemented? :D
I'm presuming so, since I imagine that can technically allow for overclocking.

So much for all of those separate observations.

Misfire
19th April 2011, 09:45 PM
Apologies in advance if this is considered thread necro but I didn't want to create a dupe thread on this issue. No one has seem to specifically discuss the implications of changing a game's default vi refresh rate.

Is there a way to achieve the same behavior presented in "1964 0.85" with the 60FPS modification in regards to how Goldeneye and Perfect Dark perform?

To clarify, 1964 is able to run those games at 60FPS but retain the regular timing of the game speed resulting in a much smoother experience at regular speed.

In the latest P64 1.7, when I change the Vi Refresh Rate, it does increase the frame rate of the actual game, but as a result it also increases the game speed. I am wondering if there is currently a way to increase game FPS but still retain the game speed just like 1964 emulator handles it.

What settings should I use for the vi refresh rate and counter factor?

I have tried things like sync game to audio which makes the audio normal speed, but the game logic and graphics still performs like it is on crack.

HatCat
19th April 2011, 11:28 PM
Likely squall would happen to know, but mostly it's a matter of experimentation with the similar range of values.

Are you saying when you change the value it increases both the FPS and the VI/s speeds in 1.7?

Counter factor as 1 in general seems to be the most accurate value for most games. Raising it upward to 6 tends to drop FPS in exchange for better emulation speed as VI/s.

Misfire
20th April 2011, 12:08 AM
Likely squall would happen to know, but mostly it's a matter of experimentation with the similar range of values.

Are you saying when you change the value it increases both the FPS and the VI/s speeds in 1.7?

Counter factor as 1 in general seems to be the most accurate value for most games. Raising it upward to 6 tends to drop FPS in exchange for better emulation speed as VI/s.

When I do change the value to a higher value, the Vertical Interrupts per second do stay at 60, the game FPS increases but along with it the game speed increases, for example I will run much faster, shoot much faster, enemies will walk faster and shoot me fast, it is basically speed hack.

I understand this is what happens when you overclock, but in 1964 it seems like even when it is overclocked, the game still followed the set default speed rather than increase the speed relative to the amount of overclock you did.

EDIT: I'll make a video to show exactly what I am talking about :)

HatCat
20th April 2011, 01:12 AM
IIRC there was no VI refresh modifier in 1964, just that customized build that had its own methods for maintaining full speed while playing such games.

Basically the FPS is the internal game speed, so increasing that should be making the game itself / the speed of emulation of the game itself faster. Just unless I'm missing something. In which case yeah a video sounds good.

Misfire
24th April 2011, 06:17 AM
IIRC there was no VI refresh modifier in 1964, just that customized build that had its own methods for maintaining full speed while playing such games.

Basically the FPS is the internal game speed, so increasing that should be making the game itself / the speed of emulation of the game itself faster. Just unless I'm missing something. In which case yeah a video sounds good.

Can't make a video yet, as when I went to make it I accidentally fried my capture card by plugging in the wrong power adapter, and fraps just does not run well at all.

HatCat
24th April 2011, 06:20 AM
Oh that sucks man; I didn't know about any of that stuff. Heh, for some reason every time I record something with it, the video is like, well, all of the pixel coordinates are inverted XD with the origin of the screen flipped to the other corner of the video output.

dsx_
24th April 2011, 10:43 AM
fraps is fine :/ must be a hardware or config problem

running these games at true 60 frames a second is difficult, as the actual games do not run at these speeds. well unless youre facing a wall.

HatCat
24th April 2011, 10:16 PM
I tried messing around in the config man, but I don't see why the hell it would happen. :D I swear if you take a screen of Mario and rotate the picture by inverting the coordinates of all the pixel diagonals, that's what all the video output looks like. :D But I'm not that concerned; I haven't been interested in recording N64 vids since '06 I guess when it worked just fine on my older system. The only reason I re-installed FRAPS was so I could just extract the audio from a PSX game using Winamp.

Also the frame rate wasn't an issue; it auto-detects what to log just fine as far as I can tell.

SubCog
25th April 2011, 02:03 AM
When I do change the value to a higher value, the Vertical Interrupts per second do stay at 60, the game FPS increases but along with it the game speed increases, for example I will run much faster, shoot much faster, enemies will walk faster and shoot me fast, it is basically speed hack.

I understand this is what happens when you overclock, but in 1964 it seems like even when it is overclocked, the game still followed the set default speed rather than increase the speed relative to the amount of overclock you did.

EDIT: I'll make a video to show exactly what I am talking about :)

somebody made a video of PD running at 60fps.
http://vimeo.com/5068728
you have to actually download it, to see it at the full framerate

Tasoulis
23rd May 2011, 02:05 PM
Hmm, if Goldeneye and Perfect Dark run at 60 FPS when you face a wall (so almost nothing is rendered) it means that the frame rate max isn't 25 or 30 fps that i originally thought. The game COULD run at 60 fps if the N64 was faster.

So, i wonder... is it possible to implement an option to overclock the emulated CPU so these games can run at the maximum FPS and without any of the frame rate drops that exist originally? Something similar exists on various arcade emulators. For instance, in MAME and FBA, you can overclock the Neo-Geo CPU up to 4 times its original speed, so then even Metal Slug 2 runs as smooth as silk (originally MS2 has major slowdown problems). And all that, without messing with the timing or the speed of the game.

Can something similar exist for N64? With today's powerful PC CPUs it wouldn't be a problem to emulate the N64 CPU at, say, 300mhz instead of the normal 100mhz (or is it 94mhz?)... This way every single N64 game would run at its maximum supported FPS without slowdowns and frame rate drops of the original native hardware.

dsx_
23rd May 2011, 03:14 PM
YES! FINALLY SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS! yeah it would probably be possible to implement the feature, just not right now :P

Natch
23rd May 2011, 03:43 PM
Hey, if I had played Goldeneye enough to notice that it ran faster when you face a wall, I would have understood as well :P

HatCat
23rd May 2011, 06:41 PM
I don't think I've read instances of the internal frame rate supposed to be more than 60 frames per second, so I've wondered if that's like the max internal rate for NTSC or something.

Tasoulis
5th August 2011, 05:36 PM
overclocking!

http://www.retrocopy.com/forumthread/414-1/1964-ultrafast---60fps-n64-emulator.aspx

Something like that would be great.

SubCog
8th September 2015, 06:22 AM
Just checking to see if Project64 ever got the goldeneye 60fps support. Anybody know?

medievil
11th September 2015, 04:02 AM
Just checking to see if Project64 ever got the goldeneye 60fps support. Anybody know?

60 FPS here jabo dx8 and gliden64 (jabo's has graphic glitches though, like green ocean)

Marcelo_20xx
12th September 2015, 07:09 AM
He means the internal FPS ( the VIs ). So no, there isn't an overclocked PJ64 that can uncap the framerate that I know of...

Ambient_Malice
13th September 2015, 01:32 AM
He means the internal FPS ( the VIs ). So no, there isn't an overclocked PJ64 that can uncap the framerate that I know of...
Counter Factor 1?

Marcelo_20xx
13th September 2015, 03:56 AM
Nope, internal 60 FPS (Display List), like the ones in the 1964 ultrafast fork...

Ambient_Malice
13th September 2015, 10:51 PM
Nope, internal 60 FPS (Display List), like the ones in the 1964 ultrafast fork...
Does anyone know what 1964 ultrafast does beside setting Counter Factor to 1?

DaMan69
14th September 2015, 02:22 PM
code.google.com/p/emu-1964/source/detail?r=104
Here's the commit if anyone wants to translate to English.

Lightbeest
31st October 2015, 09:13 PM
almost 30k pretty good

SubCog
11th January 2016, 07:55 PM
almost 30k pretty good

I know! I can't believe this thread has been going for almost 8 years now! 'Still hoping we get the feature working some day, whether through emulator support or cheats or whatever.

superresistant
20th January 2016, 10:57 AM
I know! I can't believe this thread has been going for almost 8 years now! 'Still hoping we get the feature working some day, whether through emulator support or cheats or whatever.

2016, still have hope.

retroben
21st January 2016, 05:45 AM
Try this out and experiment,hope it actually works.

Goldeneye 007 (U)

Half Frames
80027FE3 0002
80028013 0002
Use double VI speeds (e.g 120VI instead of 60VI),don't forget to set the Counter Factor to 1.
Might also need VI Refresh Rate underclock to sync the speed,seems a little too fast.

ericitaquera
13th February 2016, 03:04 AM
retroben, how do we configure these settings you suggested?

I saw not how to do it.

<EDIT>
Found it... sorry for my dumbness.
</EDIT>

GE Master
3rd March 2016, 03:41 PM
This may be a stupid n00b question, but Zilmar would ultimately be the person to discuss this with?

SubCog
26th March 2016, 04:35 PM
Pretty sure he's not interested in discussing this one.

Dante
10th June 2016, 07:43 AM
GoldenEye 007 can easily be run at very smooth FPS without any slow-down using 1964 UltraFast v3.0.

It runs the game in a practically flawless fashion (while it's actually running). The only problem is, aside from that one brilliant feature, the emulator is very unstable and crashes quite frequently. Even though I sometimes can't get through a level in PD using UltraFast due to constant crashing, I still prefer to use it because that glorious speed and smoothness yields an amazing experience (for me anyway)

Pretty sure he's not interested in discussing this one.

Probably not with one person like you or I, but maybe he doesn't know how enthusiastic we are about seeing this feature; surely there's something we can do collectively to encourage him, right? (Like a petition, but less annoying :p)

I personally am more than happy to donate generously - it'd definitely be money well spent as far as I'm concerned.

theboy181
11th June 2016, 01:55 AM
I have been investigating this game for a while now, and unfortunately even OC this game as mentioned in the above post has issues. The game has some code that limits the speed of the game play to the FPS. So in some places the game locks at 40 FPS, if you force it to 60 the game will speed up. This makes the game look and feel incorrect.

IMHO until we can find the magic key to this issue and use cheat codes to override the game FPS and speed multiplier it will never play as we would expect on a modern system.

If you want to see what I mean setup the game as followed and watch the DL's lock to 40 FPS in certain situations.

CF=1
Vi Refresh rate = 2200
Speed display: Dl's per second

When you encounter the guards where the truck is stopped at the gates on the DAM level, you will see that the FPS are locked at 40 until you kill the guards hiding in the bunker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVSkFcGzk-E

I pray the retroben feels the need to explore this further some day.

ferlanga
30th June 2016, 05:52 PM
Even the xbox360 port of perfect dark has some small visual problems because its faster framerate. On some cutscenes the animations look super choppy for some reason.

SubCog
25th July 2017, 07:07 AM
So, did we ever get good 60fps Goldeneye & Perfect Dark working? Is there a gameshark cheat that does it right?

theboy181
25th July 2017, 03:17 PM
You are an alpha tester, have you played with the OC settings yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeQIJ6bvb58

SubCog
28th July 2017, 04:18 AM
You are an alpha tester, have you played with the OC settings yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeQIJ6bvb58

Wowzers, is that a PistolGrip style overclock? I assumed the only way to achieve it would be a rom hack.

TradeDraft
28th July 2017, 09:25 AM
Great to See it can run at that Speed.

Hopefully next offical release has this