PDA

View Full Version : What USB controller do people recommend?

rnharris
11th December 2008, 03:22 AM
I've been checking out Project 64 and i"m stoked to see such a beautiful emulator. Though my friend recommended that I research USB controllers and find out which one has an optimal analog stick and optimal sensitivity.

Does any one have any suggestions of controllers they found to be righteous and worth while¿?

Much obliged.

Mikonokia
11th December 2008, 02:36 PM
an adaptoid what is that?

CA5
11th December 2008, 07:42 PM
an adaptoid what is that?

Most probably something that plugs onto the end of your controller, so that you can plug it into your USB port :)

http://www.adaptoid.com/

Mikonokia
11th December 2008, 08:49 PM
thanks very much

legend
12th December 2008, 03:41 AM
Just get a X360 controller - 20bucks new from Ebay if you want. Nothing touches it - and I hate the original N64 gamepad - dont' know why you would go to such expense to make something work that was nothing more than a prototype for the gamepads of now. Especially with the lack of the right stick, just don't know why you would do it other than pure 100% nostalgia. Oh well...

squall_leonhart
12th December 2008, 12:50 PM
/me kicks Legend.

Get a Hori pad EX Turbo. Much better then the stock 360 control.

legend
13th December 2008, 04:41 AM
/me kicks Legend.

Get a Hori pad EX Turbo. Much better then the stock 360 control.

/sucker punch to back of the head...Squall falls to his knees, his Hori pad in his hands, the controller breaks as it lands on the carpet. :)

I know bashing the N64 controller is sacrilege around here, but I really, really do not like it - I think I literally hate almost everything about it. Someone at work just brought a N64 in and I could not get over how hard it was to use, after having a 360 controller in my hands 40 hours a week. It was revolution at the time, but that time was almost 15 years ago now. Wow, can't believe its been that long, seems like yesterday, I was at Toys R Us having my dad pay for one.

Anyway, much like the N64 controller, I don't like the D-pad on the stock 360 controller, but it's really the only flaw. It is far better than all those ricketty PC gamepads out there and I do rate it higher than all the 3rd party models I've tried. MS does do some things right and this is one of them - too bad the 3rd party drivers are better. Oh well, they half did it right.

rnharris
13th December 2008, 09:59 PM
Sweet thank you!

I appreciate the response. Though isn't the Hori pad EX Turbo the same as X360 controller, just maybe with turbo buttons attached? I guess what I'm really looking for is durability but mostly the analog stick. The 360 controller sounds like a good call, though this Hori sounds like the same thing.

This sounds like the controller that I might want, though I wouldn't mind some more input on the matter.

Thank you for your time.

Mdkcheatz
13th December 2008, 11:24 PM
I guess what I'm really looking for is durability but mostly the analog stick.

If your looking for durability, I bought this Philips GGE909 PC Recoil Pad, functionality wise its similar to Xbox 360 but without the hassle of finding drivers because it plug and play... works perfectly fine with PJ64 right out of the box... fairly cheap, I think it was about $20 at Walmart (In Massachusetts, USA)... Thats just my personal opinion based on what I have...

Analogues are very sterdy and have push-in function just like the Xbox 360 controller...

Why spend tons of money of some over-the-top controller just to use with the PJ64?

There always plugging the official N64 controller in using an adaptoid, but unless you can afford to buy more N64 contollers (bad analogue durability) then go for what is cheap versus recommendations, you don't need to get rediculous controllers just to play with the N64, that stupid. Ask yourself what you would do if it get lost or breaks? medium priced controllers last just as long as expensive ones (keep in mind that there are always exceptions).

maraakate
21st December 2008, 07:47 PM
The adaptoid's haven't been shipped out apparently. Just read the customer reviews on ztnet. Everyone is pissed off. Good thing I held off on ordering it months back.

I still have yet to see an original one anywhere. I would love to try the microphone on Hey You Pikachu. I bought the game in the box for this purpose. I'm still amazed nobody has tried it yet.

bradweiser
3rd January 2009, 03:58 PM
I see a Philips GPS2RCP Recoil Control Pad for Playstation 2 for sale on ebay now - do you think it would work like the GGE909PC one for Project 64?

NellyS197
4th January 2009, 04:09 AM
The phillips controllers are ok. I own one and its not bad. My favorite are the Logitech series. The Dual Action or cordless rumble pad by far. They are high quality, very durable and the wireless rumble pad is really easy on batteries. And most importantly, the analog precision is great.

Mikonokia
4th January 2009, 12:57 PM
i prefer the logitech controlers

Patman64
7th January 2009, 05:07 AM
Nintendo Gamecube controller with a Wasaki adapter is pretty win.

Although I would prefer an N64 controller, the adapters for those are hard to come across and I happen to have this GC->USB adapter. It's a decent replacement for a true N64 controller.

Neoprototype
7th January 2009, 09:39 AM
The adaptoid's haven't been shipped out apparently. Just read the customer reviews on ztnet. Everyone is pissed off. Good thing I held off on ordering it months back.

I still have yet to see an original one anywhere. I would love to try the microphone on Hey You Pikachu. I bought the game in the box for this purpose. I'm still amazed nobody has tried it yet.

That's sad, it would really be an awesome product. I looked it up on eBay and only found one and of course it's going into the $100 range. There is some other product on there claiming to be an adapter for a PS2 and N64 -» USB converter. However I'm unable to find the slot for the N64 controller on the device. Anyone know of any reputable and working adapter that will allow me to use my N64 controller on my PC?

I've always used the PS2 with an adapter and began using the PS3 one since it already came with a USB cable and it's always charging on the PC anyways. Unfortunately I have to have different configurations for different games, and it gets annoying having to switch controller profile per game, because the PS controllers are inadequate.

RooZ
7th January 2009, 11:40 PM
There is some other product on there claiming to be an adapter for a PS2 and N64 -» USB converter. However I'm unable to find the slot for the N64 controller on the device. Anyone know of any reputable and working adapter that will allow me to use my N64 controller on my PC?

If it's the one I have (transparent blue), it works fine with PSX/2 and N64 controllers. I bought 5 of them, sold a few to some friends, and we've never had any problems. Though I do what to get my hands on an Adaptoid.

I usually use the PS2 control for NES/SNES emulation which comes in handy.

Neoprototype
8th January 2009, 11:31 AM
If it's the one I have (transparent blue), it works fine with PSX/2 and N64 controllers. I bought 5 of them, sold a few to some friends, and we've never had any problems. Though I do what to get my hands on an Adaptoid.

I usually use the PS2 control for NES/SNES emulation which comes in handy.

Thanks for the information, I'm going to try it out. For some reason the PS3 controller is acting up all of a sudden... Back to the PS2 one I guess.
I only use it because of the analog sticks on it, but I admit I feel dirty doing it. For my NES and SNES, I prefer to use the keyboard, the PSX/2 D-Pad annoys me beyond anything, you ever try to execute a Ryu roundhouse ↓↘→ without the ↘?

toofas
8th January 2009, 03:06 PM
Since the xBox360 idea has alread been thrown out there, I would say it is probably to best alternative (if you can get one cheap). It is already USB and it has two trigger buttons on the right and left side.

My suggestion:
xBox360 = N64
left analog stick = analog stick
start = start
d-pad = d-pad
right analog stick = c buttons (up, down, left, right)
a = a
x = b
right top trigger = right trigger
left top trigger = left trigger
left bottom trigger = z

This works rather well for me.

Now, if you have an 'old' xBox remote lying around collecting dust, it is not quite a 'perfect' (with two trigger buttons on each side), but you can clip the quick release tip that plugs into the xBox and clip an USB cable (device cable, not an extender... like for a printer) and splice the wires together. All the colors match as the controller has a USB interface. You'll have an extra wire on the controller (yellow, I think) that you can just leave alone, it will serve no purpose, plus you'll have nothing to connect it to.

After that use the XBCD driver (just search in Google) to install it into Windows (XP and Vista work).

Anyway, that is my $0.02.

David

toofas
8th January 2009, 08:40 PM
Now, if you have an 'old' xBox remote lying around collecting dust, it is not quite a 'perfect' (with two trigger buttons on each side), but you can clip the quick release tip that plugs into the xBox and clip an USB cable (device cable, not an extender... like for a printer) and splice the wires together. All the colors match as the controller has a USB interface. You'll have an extra wire on the controller (yellow, I think) that you can just leave alone, it will serve no purpose, plus you'll have nothing to connect it to.

After that use the XBCD driver (just search in Google) to install it into Windows (XP and Vista work).

Just FYI, I only threw that out there (using the xBox remote) because as, to me, it is somewhat of an all inclusive solution. In addtion to Project64, I am also using ePSXe, and experimenting with Dolpin GC. So far, instead of trying to manage different unique remotes for each emulator, I am finding this to be the most efficient solution.

Anyway, again, kudos to the Project64 team! I got the kids (and I) a Wii for Christmas and was seriously contemplating buying my N64 karts for play on the Wii, however, even with the component cable hookup to my 1080p display (which would only show at 480p), the graphics would look nowhere near as good as with your emulator's ability to render at 1920x1080 in realtime. Thank you.

teknomedic
19th January 2009, 10:24 AM
Personally I use the Saitek P990... the reason... ton-o-buttons. I can pretty much set it up to emulate any system out there since there are soooo many buttons.

6 face buttons
4 shoulder buttons
dual analog (each with a push & click button)
d-pad (looks funny, but works well.... not as good as say a Playstation or NES d-pad... but still works well).

I think you can still get this for around $20. They also have a few other models with wireless and/or rumble etc... you can check out the manuals here.. they're in PDF format though, but do show a picture of the product on the first page of each manual. Just be careful as not all of them have all 4 shoulder buttons if that's what you need.
http://www.saitek.com/uk/down/man_pads.htm

I'm not saying it's perfect... but a well rounded gamepad mostly again because you can set it up to have the same "feel" as any other systems pad... especially the hard N64 pad with 6 face buttons and three should buttons and an anlog stick and start button.

Sorry... but an N64 emulation game pad should have 6 face buttons... not the "standard" Playstation or Xbox 4 face buttons.

Personal opinion of course.

gtmtnbiker
20th March 2009, 01:12 PM
Sorry... but an N64 emulation game pad should have 6 face buttons... not the "standard" Playstation or Xbox 4 face buttons.
Personal opinion of course.

It's my understanding that the other 4 buttons (not a or b) were used for the camera view. On the 360 gamepad, I map these buttons to the right-hand stick.

So why should a gamepad have 6 face buttons?

Mdkcheatz
23rd March 2009, 03:25 AM
It's my understanding that the other 4 buttons (not a or b) were used for the camera view. On the 360 gamepad, I map these buttons to the right-hand stick.

So why should a gamepad have 6 face buttons?

I agree, I also map the extra analogue stick to act as the C-Buttons... I like to look at it more like a Camecube controller ;)

Sativa
24th March 2009, 01:32 AM
so pretty much any controller with analog stick works?

Hubert
27th March 2009, 02:01 PM
It's probably somewhere on these forums but the Wiimote works well

I've been using a wiimote and nunchuck for N64 emulation. Not all the buttons can be mapped to it, but the N64 d-pad and L trigger are rarely used, and you can always switch profiles for a game that needs them.
You just need a cheap bluetooth adaptor for it to work (No need for a sensor bar or 2 candles for N64 games). Most of the cheap ones come with an old version of Blue Soleil, which is needed for the Wiimote to work with the PC (though, it worked for me with the broadcom and microsoft stacks too..)
There's a program called GlovePIE that has scripts for using the Wiimote - some work quite well. There's one for Zelda OoT that allows you to swing the remote and it'll mimic your movement with the sword for example.

By the way, I thought the N64 joystick was terrible - the analogue stick felt clunky, compared to the Dual-Shock, and I don't think I had any games that needed the left side of the pad, so it always seemed redundant