PDA

View Full Version : Zelda ocarina of time framerate.

DmxDex
14th January 2013, 03:44 PM
I have ocarina of time on the 1.6 and im getting 15 to 17 frames, this is crazy low nowadays, i know this was the norm in the day. Is it possible to raise the framerate even to 30fps i would be happy.

I so want to revisit this game.

squall_leonhart
14th January 2013, 05:42 PM
it is, but no.

altering the frame rate isn't a good idea generally.

ExtremeDude2
14th January 2013, 07:23 PM
The US/JAP versions are 20 FPS so you may want to try that

DmxDex
14th January 2013, 07:28 PM
Im not sure i can use the us version as im using Djipi FINAL CELL mod.

How do i push the framerate up manually? I know someone said its not recommended but if its possible i would like to give it a go.

ExtremeDude2
14th January 2013, 07:39 PM
You can still use the texture pack, but it will be missing some textures

DmxDex
14th January 2013, 08:18 PM
You can still use the texture pack, but it will be missing some textures

Which textures? Im using the pal version and that seems to be missing textures such as the kokari houses seem to be default in textures.

DmxDex
15th January 2013, 02:40 PM
Can anyone help me?

TheLegend
16th January 2013, 11:57 PM
Your only solution:
1. Buy OoT for the 3DS or...
2. Fast forward OoT up to 30 or even 60 or...
3. Enjoy low fps or...
4. Fuck OoT.
5 (HARD!). Hack VPS up to full 60

HatCat
17th January 2013, 08:13 PM
I'd pick 3 any day. :p

People that have no tolerance for reality and prefer making things artificial (e.g. hi-res textures, video / HQ features, hijacked frame rates, etc.) are a real burden on proper emulation. :P

Then again 4 sounds reasonable since I don't really play OOT like I do MM anyway.

DmxDex
18th January 2013, 12:23 PM
It doesnt make us burden if we have become use to 60fps gaming.

My eyes struggle with 17fps.

I think im just going to get a DS3D with Ocarina of time. i heard majora's mask is being remade also.

ExtremeDude2
18th January 2013, 08:18 PM
i heard majora's mask is being remade also.

You heard fan wants XD

HatCat
19th January 2013, 08:19 PM
It doesnt make us burden if we have become use to 60fps gaming.

My eyes struggle with 17fps.

And that makes anybody exempt how?

Somebody becoming used to unreality does not make him *not* a burden on reality.

I stare at a motionless screen for up to 10 minutes while doing work on the computer, and that has Guess how many FPS? 0 FPS, doesn't hurt my eyes or make them struggle. 60 FPS however would.

Emulation, should not be, start out making it easy, and end by making it hard.
Development should be, start out templating what's hard, and end with making it easy. (Which evidently is the sort of example I think Project64 has followed.)

So it's not that hi-res textures, hi-jacked frame rates, GameShark cheats etc. are totally useless; it's just that they are impertinent to hardware preservation, and, once you implement those things first before the full preservation, you obtain early satisfaction at how fun the product is and lose concentration and motivation to go back to make it accurate.

So it should be, start off caring mostly about accuracy, possibly open-source it, and let other people (or you) do the [semi-, complete-, anti-] fuck-ups to add new cool features people would like to extend the virtualized hardware to encompass more features than the physical hardware had etc., not backwards.

ExtremeDude2
19th January 2013, 11:49 PM
lol nut, I hope you get some FPS on your screen XD, otherwise your mouse wouldn't move :rolleyes:

HatCat
20th January 2013, 07:54 PM
That's because I don't move my mouse.

I stare at my monitor for 10-30 minutes analyzing code, wondering what to do.

Now if I had a screensaver or auto-power-off of the monitor, then I would get 0.00000000breakpointfound FPS.

OR,

If I was using Microsoft Visual Shit back then.
Back then I used Notepad and GCC/MinGW to build all my programs, no IDE just command-line invocations.

cpuHacka101
24th January 2013, 05:52 AM
Ocarina of Time has 20fps hardcoded, I believe it's mainly due to the low-quality coordinate space that they used for larger maps. Model animations/rotations can only go to certain spots, due to how large they made the maps. Games like Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie can handle 30fps, as they have smaller maps and higher quality coordinate space, and games like Super Smash Bros. actually get 60fps as they have very small maps and very high quality coordinates.

squall_leonhart
24th January 2013, 07:41 AM
Ocarina of Time has 20fps hardcoded, I believe it's mainly due to the low-quality coordinate space that they used for larger maps. Model animations/rotations can only go to certain spots, due to how large they made the maps. Games like Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie can handle 30fps, as they have smaller maps and higher quality coordinate space, and games like Super Smash Bros. actually get 60fps as they have very small maps and very high quality coordinates.

son, i don't think you played any of those games.

cpuHacka101
24th January 2013, 07:51 AM
Oh, of course not, it's not like I've been modding them for 3 years now, and played them since they were released around 15 years ago.

adalialives
4th February 2013, 11:57 AM
I don't know why you're only at 15 fps because the OoT rom I'm running is usually just shy of 60 fps. Where did you download the rom from?

Tasoulis
4th February 2013, 12:02 PM
I don't know why you're only at 15 fps because the OoT rom I'm running is usually just shy of 60 fps. Where did you download the rom from?
You mean VI/s, not actual frame rate. Its a different thing. If you want to see how 60fps really look, load F-Zero X. And if you want a proper FPS counter, some graphics plugins have that, like glide64. If full speed, OOT runs at 20fps (US version).

dsx_
4th February 2013, 12:04 PM
keep in mind that in PJ64 1.6, "FPS" in the bottom right is wrong, should be VI/s

most n64 games run at 30FPS, ocarina of time and majora's mask only run at 20 (16.66 for PAL (eg. (E) ROMs))

squall_leonhart
4th February 2013, 02:43 PM
You mean VI/s, not actual frame rate. Its a different thing. If you want to see how 60fps really look, load F-Zero X. And if you want a proper FPS counter, some graphics plugins have that, like glide64. If full speed, OOT runs at 20fps (US version).

and 17.89fps in pal regions (or 60 for the pal only Zelda64 bonus disk)