PDA

View Full Version : Audio Resampling

maraakate
15th December 2008, 08:42 AM
I haven't donated to the project yet (going to coerce my parents into doing this for me as a christmas gift) but I would love to see the audio plugin to allow different resampling rates.

Would be nice to have the games resample to 48kHz, or even 96kHz for the audiophiles.

I'm not sure how hard this would be to implement. Other cool ideas (but the time vs. practicality overrides this) would be to allow DSP plugins to plugin into the audio emulator to allow for cool things such as surround sound resampling (i.e. Volume Logix, DFX, SRS Plugins and so on). I doubt such a feature would ever be done but figured I'd throw it out there. Though admittedly, it would be possible to do all of this with an extremely fast sound card meant for recording, use a linein foobar or winamp plugin and resample in realtime.

Curious to hear others thoughts on the ability to switch between sample rates.

RadeonUser
15th December 2008, 03:59 PM
Gent and I (mostly Gent) have tried nudging Jabo to do something similar to what he did for textures but he seemed rather reluctant to mess with the audio plugin.

I'm not that much of an audiophile but would there be a benefit to resampling?
If memory serves (It might be foggy...) the N64 was played back stereo or mono audio at 16bit 44.1khz
I always thought resampling always led to extra noise.

Now if we could replace the original samples themselves with higher quality versions... *nudges Jabo some more*

maraakate
15th December 2008, 11:02 PM
I think it personally sounds better but it's all subjective. It also depends on how good the code is.

squall_leonhart
16th December 2008, 10:03 AM
Resampling is completely useless, you actually introduce audio artifacts by upsampling, which would degrade the audio quality., As it is, most sound cards, excluding the xFi's, output at 48Khz, even though they are processed at 96.

CA5
19th December 2008, 02:02 PM
Resampling is completely useless, you actually introduce audio artifacts by upsampling, which would degrade the audio quality., As it is, most sound cards, excluding the xFi's, output at 48Khz, even though they are processed at 96.

Rofl, you pwn everyone :D :D :D

squall_leonhart
19th December 2008, 02:14 PM
have you ever heard what happens to a 44khz signal thats been sampled up to 96?

its very, very tinny.

CA5
19th December 2008, 02:17 PM
have you ever heard what happens to a 44khz signal thats been sampled up to 96?

its very, very tinny.

Can't say I have rly, but I have faith in you, so... :D