PDA

View Full Version : Project64 2.0.0.11

zilmar
26th February 2013, 01:24 AM
Just letting you know I made the latest alpha in to a beta.

squall_leonhart
26th February 2013, 08:31 AM
yay, now everyone can experience the massively increased load times in roms and levels in certain games.

guest86
2nd March 2013, 09:44 AM
Wow! That really fast for update to come. Can't wait to see new version of Project 64. Really long time to see. :D

the_randomizer
2nd March 2013, 04:21 PM
yay, now everyone can experience the massively increased load times in roms and levels in certain games.

Which games?

MarathonMan
2nd March 2013, 07:27 PM
Which games?

Supposedly Goldeneye but I haven't tried myself.

squall_leonhart
3rd March 2013, 03:41 AM
Which games?

All of them

2.0 Interpreter and 1.7/1.6 Recompiler boot all games faster

GoldenEye lags on the black screen after starting a mission
Majora's Mask has long pauses on the subscreen and before displaying the spinning mask - also mini hangs just after loading a game profile till it the Rec cache settles.

Pretty much every game displays this behavior

honestly, i think the current caching is completely nuked lol.

i get 100% perfect performance with the interpreter, with none of these delays, hangs, pauses.

mudlord_
3rd March 2013, 04:17 AM
at least there is one upside: the interpreter is now perfect.

the_randomizer
3rd March 2013, 03:57 PM
All of them

1.7 Interpreter and 1.6 Recompiler boot all games faster

Majora's Mask has long pauses on the subscreen and before displaying the spinning mask - also mini hangs just after loading a game profile till it the Rec cache settles.

i get 100% perfect performance with the interpreter, with none of these delays, hangs, pauses.

Which is weird, seeing as interpreter is supposed to be "slower", but I noticed that too. Hopefully the dynamic core can be fixed, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

zilmar
3rd March 2013, 07:17 PM
Which is weird, seeing as interpreter is supposed to be "slower", but I noticed that too. Hopefully the dynamic core can be fixed, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

if you turn off the speed limiter then the recompiler should be faster, should be like double the speed.

A recompiler still needs to compile which is where you might be seeing the slow down. Try disabling the advanced block linking, that requires even more time in compiling.

Jorchking
4th March 2013, 01:53 AM
All of them

1.7 Interpreter and 1.6 Recompiler boot all games faster

It's a good notice!!

I'll hope that "MARIO TENNIS 64" can be run normally, because is one of the most popular roms of nintendo 64 that can't be play very well

squall_leonhart
4th March 2013, 04:39 AM
if you turn off the speed limiter then the recompiler should be faster, should be like double the speed.

A recompiler still needs to compile which is where you might be seeing the slow down. Try disabling the advanced block linking, that requires even more time in compiling.

The recompiler in 1.6 starts games (and levels, movies, cutscenes) a whole lot faster than in 2.0

and no, not really at all. not even using fps limiter, ABL, faststart/ cache etc and games are still sluggish to start with the 2.0 recompiler

1.7 is faster than 2.0!

dsx_
4th March 2013, 11:50 AM
The recompiler in 1.6 starts games (and levels, movies, cutscenes) a whole lot faster than in 2.0

and no, not really at all. not even using fps limiter, ABL, faststart/ cache etc and games are still sluggish to start with the 2.0 recompiler

1.7 is faster than 2.0!

what about after starting/loading?

squall_leonhart
4th March 2013, 12:38 PM
choppy first few seconds after loading a profile in MM
same with Zelda64, and when entering dungeons.

Kirby64 also choppy and stuttery

Honestly, i might just change to the interpreter.

xQuarkDS9x
4th March 2013, 04:43 PM
choppy first few seconds after loading a profile in MM
same with Zelda64, and when entering dungeons.

Kirby64 also choppy and stuttery

Honestly, i might just change to the interpreter.

That's odd I've been playing OoT v1.0 with this new release and the only choppyness I had was in bringing up the start menu at first in OoT but afterwards it was fine due in part because i'm using a texture pack.

squall_leonhart
4th March 2013, 06:02 PM
has nothing to do with the texture pack

the recompiler cache is getting slapped around like a bitch and left bruised and bleeding.

and if you run uncapped, you'll see it, since the interpreter will run far faster than the recompiler

zilmar
4th March 2013, 06:31 PM

the recompiler cache is getting slapped around like a bitch and left bruised and bleeding.

and if you run uncapped, you'll see it, since the interpreter will run far faster than the recompiler

if you turn off frame limitor, do you see the interpreter still run faster then the recompiler ?

xQuarkDS9x
4th March 2013, 07:28 PM

I just tried running OoT again this time uncapped with Interpreter and it was fluctuating around 100-120 VI/s. However when I tried again with recompiler it was around 220-270 VI/s. Unless i'm testing this wrong recompiler here on my machine at least seems faster then interpreter.

squall_leonhart
4th March 2013, 07:36 PM
i was referring to the amount of time you sit on a blackscreen or hung pause subscreen when uncapped, not actual vi's.

squall_leonhart
4th March 2013, 07:38 PM
if you turn off frame limitor, do you see the interpreter still run faster then the recompiler ?

in golden eye and majora's mask, the frame limitor, and audio sync settings don't change a thing

goldeneye starts faster with fastsp disabled, but the missions are still alot longer to load.

on majora's mask and zelda64, the opening scenes, and subscreens still take a lot longer under the recompiler.

I shall record it later after i get some sleep.

elbeto57
30th March 2013, 10:53 PM
Im not been here for a loooooooooooooooong time, so were i can get the 2.0 or newst release?

xQuarkDS9x
30th March 2013, 11:18 PM
Im not been here for a loooooooooooooooong time, so were i can get the 2.0 or newst release?

http://www.pj64-emu.com/site-membership/

Donate $20 US and you can have the latest 2.0.0.xx beta versions to use. Even though I donated way back in 2006 it was worth it then and it's worth it especially today.

I've been using 2.0.0.11 and up to play Ocarina of Time, Majora's mask, and Super Mario Bros 64 and having a blast re-living these old games since my original console died last year.

Oddly enough the only short pause I had that squall_leonhart mentioned when entering menu screens occured when using a high res texture pack from this site in Ocarina of Time when first loaded (afterwards menu screens loaded up right away) but other then that the games have ran smoothly with no major problems in audio or graphics and on my old machine here with a small tweak to Majora's Mask reducing "AI Count Per Byte" from 500 to 100 i even got rid of a small sound issue.

squall_leonhart
31st March 2013, 06:15 AM
you have no idea what you're talking about.

compare the games with interpreter and you'll get some idea.

xQuarkDS9x
3rd April 2013, 05:45 AM

Why is it that after reading plenty of your posts both here and on other forum sites you seem to like complaining constantly about using recompiler instead of interpreter?

All i've done is posted my personal experiences about playing a couple of games. I am aware some games do run better with interpreter still and with various other tweaks to get a game running smoothly but still you practically make it sound like "Recompiler is the devil from hell and should be avoided at all costs" yet even after I tried interpreter and noticed no difference in ocarina of time, I did notice an immediate change in majora's mask when switching start menu screens I had speed issues but the moment i went back to recompiler no issues in those start menu's whatsoever.

How did an alpha tester named dsx! put it recently in another forum thread? http://forum.pj64-emu.com/showthread.php?t=3573&page=2

if its so bad, you fucking fix it

I think that says it pretty much. If you think recompiler is so bad like he said then go fix it.

xQuarkDS9x
4th April 2013, 08:34 AM

If you think recompiler is so bad then as one other alpha tester here recently put it on the forums "go fix it yourself".

squall_leonhart
4th April 2013, 10:28 AM
already did, and already working with deathdroid to fix more ;D

dsx_
4th April 2013, 12:09 PM
already did, and already working with deathdroid to fix more ;D

wooooooooo

squall_leonhart
4th April 2013, 03:27 PM
Turned out that my particular issue wasn't actually a bug as much as it was just better logging detail.

I had Generate Logs enabled and it was creating a 50-100MB cpu output dump during those points which resulted in the execution being stalled heavily.

There is still some difference between the Rec and Interpreter when starting a goldeneye level now, which deathdroid is attempting to look into - the worst parts are the regressions in the b57 version of jabo's d3d that was included..... would've been best to include b56 imo.