PDA

View Full Version : problem with paper mario

testikills
16th December 2008, 05:52 PM
I started playing PM and got about an hour into the game. I had some minor graphic gliches throughout but nothing too serious. However, after a long cutscene with the princess in the castle, the game crashes with a whole bunch of errors.

anyone know if this can be fixed?

I tried it several times, and ever tried reloading the game from one of the internal saves,... I still get the same crash

CA5
16th December 2008, 06:05 PM
Never crashed for me there... what exactly happens? What computer specs do you have? :)

testikills
16th December 2008, 06:28 PM
specs are:

windows XP on core 2 duo. (recent install)
4gb ram
x1950xtx
Raptor HD

what happens:

princess goes out onto the balcony and the cut scene is about to end.
then I get countless errors:
Cache: Failed to translate: 0
Cache: Failed to translate: 20
Cache: Failed to translate: 40
and so on.... goes up in increments of 20 all the way over 10,000 lol

CA5
16th December 2008, 06:55 PM
Well it could possibly be a bad rom mate... your specs seem OK. Try re-downloading it from another site, see if that works... :)

testikills
16th December 2008, 07:37 PM
check your inbox CoF

RadeonUser
16th December 2008, 08:32 PM
Well I played up to the point where Mario gets the 'Lucky Star' and no problems so far.

This was the U rom, verified to be [!] by GoodN64.

I played both regions of this game before PJ64 1.6 was released so I don't know why you'd be getting a crash.
Anything's possible though, some last minute change before 1.6 was released might have changed something.

I would love to have more information to go on too.
"Paper Mario" and "Crash" is all I got.

PJ64 version?
Plugins?
GoodN64 name of the rom?
Savestate / native save of where this is happening?
Are cheats being used?
Have you modified the rdb in any way?

These things are all very important for us to help you out.

I just happen to be the kind of tester who will go out and try to decipher the vague problems people report.

testikills
16th December 2008, 10:10 PM
thanks for the response admin. heres some more info..

I installed a fresh version of pj64 the other day... so whatever version is available is the one im using.

the rom is (E)(M4)[!].z64

no cheats are being used and im using no plugins

I havent modified anything with the program, just changed to graphics to 1024x768

squall_leonhart
16th December 2008, 11:40 PM
M4 is a modified rom, always try for the [!] version.

testikills
16th December 2008, 11:54 PM
i see...do i have to start teh game over again? or can i somehow use my old savestate?

testikills
17th December 2008, 12:11 AM
ok sorry for the bump, but i tried to load the savestate with the new rom and shockingly it didnt work :D

so now my question is does PJ64 have a fast forward button? I don't feel like watching the really boring and unnecessarily long dialog sequences over again

RadeonUser
17th December 2008, 05:52 AM
That rom should be fine the (M4) just means that it's a multilingual rom and has the option to switch between 4 languages.

I just finished testing out the E version and found the problem you're getting.

Unzip the file I've included into your Project 64 install directory and replace the current file that's there.
By default PJ64 is installed in C:\Program Files\Project64 1.6\

I haven't tested too far but it should no longer crash.

zambonidriver104
23rd April 2009, 10:27 PM
That rom should be fine the (M4) just means that it's a multilingual rom and has the option to switch between 4 languages.

Unzip the file I've included into your Project 64 install directory and replace the current file that's there.

I was having the exact problem and this worked great! Thanks a lot!

pascaliedema
5th May 2009, 02:13 PM
I have a problem with paper mario. When i'm playing paper mario the screen is flashing nearly whole the time. Is there somebody else who got this problem too? I run this game on project 64 1.6. The same is with Yoshis Story, but that will be discussed in another forum.

wildgoosespeeder
5th May 2009, 07:52 PM
Project64's GameFAQ will tell you why it happens.

IgnacioUC
28th June 2010, 01:32 AM

Thank you very much!
I had that problem and this fixed that.

JDM
30th July 2010, 11:16 PM

I reuploaded the file into my Project 64 1.6 folder and it replaced the old one, but I'm still having the same problems. (graphic glitches at the start of every fight and at random cutscenes)

Any suggestions?

HatCat
30th July 2010, 11:22 PM
If you know you're using the PAL (E) version, send some pictures of the kinds of glitches you get to show where the issue may be?

JDM
31st July 2010, 06:36 AM
http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz254/KennethJT/Untitled.png

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz254/KennethJT/Untitled3.png

and

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz254/KennethJT/Untitled2.png

The second picture is just one of my save files saving on every file location. Happens whenever I save.
Also, when I tried to use Goombario's tattle ability, the game crashed.

and how do I know if I'm using the PAL (E) version...? Sorry if that's a stupid question.

HatCat
31st July 2010, 01:47 PM
No problem, if you have Project64 set to use the ROM browser (in which case there is a list of games "installed" to Project64 when you start up the program), right-click the entry for the version of Paper Mario you use, then pick "Rom Information". Should output all kinds of details for the specific version of the game you have installed.

JDM
1st August 2010, 09:14 AM
I re-open the games I play from my Project 64 ROM file, and I see the blank space all the time, but it doesn't keep a list of the games. Maybe because I run it as administrator?

And by right-click the entry, do you mean the Z64 file in the folder?
Or does it have to be in the list?

And thanks for helping me out.

HatCat
1st August 2010, 01:44 PM
It should be in the list.

Well start Project64 first, and from the "File" menu pick "Choose Rom Directory..." so that the ROM browser knows where the games are to install to it for listing. Also hit F5 to refresh sometimes is needed when changes are made.

Did that produce a list of games in the emulator window?
If not, when you start Project64 does it just have a black screen before loading a game in?

JDM
6th August 2010, 03:03 PM
I had each game in a separate folder, to maintain organization, so it didn't read from each folder.
But I put each game into a single folder so it's okay now.
Thanks by the way.

HatCat
6th August 2010, 10:22 PM
If at least Paper Mario is listed in the browser then there should be an option to view details about that ROM file. And glad to help.

ljulio02
4th January 2013, 04:27 PM

Thanks very much For the help... I always wanted to play this game and now no more crash :) Thanks you alot!

Sanji
7th January 2013, 04:57 PM
I had the same problem but it works now! Thanks so much admin your awesome! :3

kingmc
3rd March 2013, 06:13 AM
Whenever i try to do this it says access to the folder denied

chomp17
18th May 2013, 09:39 PM

That was an excellent advice, It worked wonders =D