PDA

View Full Version : Couple of issues

Optics
18th December 2008, 09:34 PM
Hey! This is probably just me not setting up the emulator properly, but..

In Perfect Dark, when I change weapons it causes the game to lag until the weapon is out, then it runs normal again. Is there anything I can do to fix this, or is this just due to heavy strain on the emulator or something?

Mdkcheatz
20th December 2008, 01:12 AM
Squally we need your help here, I tried everything and couldn't figure this out, maybe you if as the technical genius figure this out, because im lost, we tried comparing plugins, settings, roms, etc everything was identicle and i didnt work... jeese this is killing even me, although the there no lag for me lmao...

RadeonUser
20th December 2008, 01:53 AM
I'm not sure why but it seems like CF1 is better for weapon switching in this game.
PJ64 jumps from 30DL/s to 60DL/s with CF1 and switching weapons.
CF2 keeps it at 30DL/s so you notice some hesitation.

Not quite sure what's up but try playing with Counter Factor 1 and see if it helps.

Optics
20th December 2008, 05:09 AM
Hey! It has helped quite a bit. There's still some fractional delay with some guns, but for the most part it's virtually unnoticeable. Thanks for the help.

Mdkcheatz
20th December 2008, 11:34 AM
I am using CF2 and I don't notice any lag. How is this possible?

RadeonUser
20th December 2008, 04:37 PM
I'm not sure how you're testing but it helps to be running around when you switch weapons.

If you're just standing still it doesn't hesitate too much.

Mdkcheatz
20th December 2008, 05:06 PM
That's exactly what I was doing, running around switching guns, etc, (basically trying to cause as much processing as I can, but it seemed fine to me, the only thing I didnt do was play other levels beside the first, but i ran through the level encountering enemies will shooting frantically with cheat code activated (most of them)... to force it to lag and it didnt, this is with CF2 on.....

maraakate
21st December 2008, 04:37 PM
This happens for me in 1.6 but I've noticed it's only the first time you pull the weapon out or the first time you shoot it. My only guess would be something to do with caching it into the memory on the fly.

For anyone whose interested:

Jabo's D3D8 1.6
Azimer's HLE 0.56 WIP2
N-Rage DInput v2.00b

RadeonUser
21st December 2008, 05:33 PM
I get that in Goldeneye 007.
The first shot always lags but subsequent shots from any weapon don't have the same behavior.
It's just that first shot...

In Perfect Dark regardless of region / rom version I get the small hiccup that Optics noticed when switching weapons.

The thing that's bothering me is that Mdk can't reproduce the issue.
I'll try it out on the other two comps I have but they're all an Intel / Radeon combo so I cant test out if its a processor difference or a graphics card difference.

squall_leonhart
21st December 2008, 05:43 PM
I get that in Goldeneye 007.
The first shot always lags but subsequent shots from any weapon don't have the same behavior.
It's just that first shot...

In Perfect Dark regardless of region / rom version I get the small hiccup that Optics noticed when switching weapons.

The thing that's bothering me is that Mdk can't reproduce the issue.
I'll try it out on the other two comps I have but they're all an Intel / Radeon combo so I cant test out if its a processor difference or a graphics card difference.

I would have to go with the idea its a caching issue, in that case maybe Zilmar can work around this issue using precaching? i believe the n64 used precaching in some games to work around performance issues.

maraakate
21st December 2008, 08:52 PM
I would have to go with the idea its a caching issue, in that case maybe Zilmar can work around this issue using precaching? i believe the n64 used precaching in some games to work around performance issues.

I also wondered if it had anything to do with the sound plugins abilities to cache as well. I've always used Azimer's, nothing else. So I'm unsure on how this effects other users using Jabo's plugins.