PDA

View Full Version : Crashing on full screen exit

Scootaloo
19th April 2013, 06:00 PM
I'm using the Rice plugin. I know that it is not the best (from what some people on the forum say about it anyway), but I want to use the lovely HD texture pack for OOT.

Issue: when exiting full screen the emulator crashes without giving any message(s).

HatCat
19th April 2013, 07:02 PM
No Windows crash message?

Like, encountered a problem and needs to close?
No link in the error message box saying "View details" or click for more info, etc..

But I anticipate that it's most likely a driver issue.

Scootaloo
19th April 2013, 07:59 PM
No Windows crash message?

Like, encountered a problem and needs to close?
No link in the error message box saying "View details" or click for more info, etc..

But I anticipate that it's most likely a driver issue.

No. I should say: it freezes and it does not give any error message(s). I have to kill the process in task manager. Also I don't know what would be wrong with my drivers.

HatCat
19th April 2013, 08:01 PM
That's strange...you sure it happens only with RiceVideo dll?

Not an issue with Jabo's Direct3D or any other graphics plugins?

Couldn't be a core issue?

Scootaloo
19th April 2013, 08:12 PM
That's strange...you sure it happens only with RiceVideo dll?

Not an issue with Jabo's Direct3D or any other graphics plugins?

Couldn't be a core issue?

I think it's the plugin, because I tried the default one and it can exit and enter full screen with no problem.

HatCat
20th April 2013, 02:15 AM
Sorry I had a brain fart. :D
It was a crash on window/full-screen switch, not emulation exit.

As I said I have a feeling (I've seen this issue on other people's systems before) that it is a driver issue.

Do you know what video card you have?
Let's try to upgrade your drivers if possible. :p

squall_leonhart
20th April 2013, 04:04 AM
known/old rice issue.

Scootaloo
20th April 2013, 07:17 AM
Sorry I had a brain fart. :D
It was a crash on window/full-screen switch, not emulation exit.

As I said I have a feeling (I've seen this issue on other people's systems before) that it is a driver issue.

Do you know what video card you have?
Let's try to upgrade your drivers if possible. :p

Alright I'm using Nvidia GeForce GT430 (1GB). According to the Nvidia driver site my driver is up-to-date (GeForce 314.22 Driver).

HatCat
20th April 2013, 12:41 PM
Yep that is up-to-date...

Well tell you what I've heard about this exact issue with RiceVideo before; I have just never been able to reproduce it on my exact setups in the past. As an experiment you could try changing the rendering engine on the "General Options" config from "DirectX" to "OpenGL" to see if that affects the issue, but I don't really know of any major config that would be bound to fix this type of thing.

Have you also considered using Glide64 to load the RiceVideo texture paks? Personally I just use RiceVideo 6.1.0c, but you don't have to be like me. :p

Scootaloo
20th April 2013, 12:52 PM
Yep that is up-to-date...

Well tell you what I've heard about this exact issue with RiceVideo before; I have just never been able to reproduce it on my exact setups in the past. As an experiment you could try changing the rendering engine on the "General Options" config from "DirectX" to "OpenGL" to see if that affects the issue, but I don't really know of any major config that would be bound to fix this type of thing.

Have you also considered using Glide64 to load the RiceVideo texture paks? Personally I just use RiceVideo 6.1.0c, but you don't have to be like me. :p

I might do that, but before I try doing that I will probably try the new version that came out today:

http://i.imgur.com/BGhOiZS.png

I don't really care which plugin/version I have to use I just want to play Zelda OOT in HD. I tried playing it without the texture pack and it was painful (I know I'm sounding picky, but it's true).

HatCat
20th April 2013, 12:59 PM
A while back I tried getting one of death-droid's RiceVideo builds to work and totally couldn't from scratch 1; it just wouldn't initialize.
Not to discredit his efforts or anything, but I would tend to first resort to the stable 6.0.0 ... 6.1.1 releases by Rice himself before the unofficial stuff.

But, this is all from my testing setup. I wouldn't know what is modified on that procedure on the death-droid builds, and I have never tried to do it with Glide64 either though the user manual and loads of other resources discuss that.
I have always just gotten it to work on RiceVideo 6.1.0; I figure squall would be content to support getting it working on Glide64. (You would get more stable gfx drawings on the screen in that case.)

edit--thx 4 the attachment looking at it.

Scootaloo
20th April 2013, 01:19 PM
A while back I tried getting one of death-droid's RiceVideo builds to work and totally couldn't from scratch 1; it just wouldn't initialize.
Not to discredit his efforts or anything, but I would tend to first resort to the stable 6.0.0 ... 6.1.1 releases by Rice himself before the unofficial stuff.

But, this is all from my testing setup. I wouldn't know what is modified on that procedure on the death-droid builds, and I have never tried to do it with Glide64 either though the user manual and loads of other resources discuss that.
I have always just gotten it to work on RiceVideo 6.1.0; I figure squall would be content to support getting it working on Glide64. (You would get more stable gfx drawings on the screen in that case.)

edit--thx 4 the attachment looking at it.

Well I tried the version you're using and it simply ignores the textures.

___
I am going to try using the newest version of the plugin to see how it will work. If not, then I'll try Glide64 or worse case scenario I'll just go back to square one and live with the crashing (it was not that bad to be honest).

Related: when using the Rice plugin if I use the "Pause" hot key, then PJ64 will exit full screen mode and pause without freezing or anything. Maybe this is a fix? :D or just a nice work around.

PS: hopefully DD won't mind that I re-uploaded his plugin (or his fork of it), but if it is a problem I'll remove it.

PPSS: I feel sad. I am one of the few without the "Project Supporter" thingy.

HatCat
20th April 2013, 01:30 PM
Well I tried the version you're using and it simply ignores the textures.

"Load hi-res textures if available" in the Texture Enhancements tab.

It should load all texture files stored to $emudir/Plugin/hires_textures/$ROMNAME/subfolders like RGB, CI, etc. texture isolation methods...um hopefully that structure for loading hi-res textures was not changed in the death-droid builds.

Related: when using the Rice plugin if I use the "Pause" hot key, then PJ64 will exit full screen mode and pause without freezing or anything. Maybe this is a fix? :D or just a nice work around.

Pause lmao? Never tried it.
I wonder if hitting F2 to pause the emulator thread while in full screen, and then Alt+Enter to switch to windowed mode also solves the crashing.

But obviously "Pause" key is faster than either method. :rolleyes:

PS: hopefully DD won't mind that I re-uploaded his plugin (or his fork of it), but if it is a problem I'll remove it.

PPSS: I feel sad. I am the only one without the "Project Supporter" thingy.

I don't think of a reason why he would mind. I just used it and tested full screen and OH MY GOD FULL SCREEN SWITCHED TO WINDOWED PRETTY MUCH locked up my desktop :) sooo wouldn't want to use that version again for a while. Maybe it is a version-specific issue then.

Project Supporter as you might already knows just means you donated to the project (or maybe some other stuff) before the 2.0 version got released. I think zilmar also made some people project supporters based on their activity on the forum or something.

Scootaloo
20th April 2013, 01:39 PM
"Load hi-res textures if available" in the Texture Enhancements tab.

It should load all texture files stored to $emudir/Plugin/hires_textures/$ROMNAME/subfolders like RGB, CI, etc. texture isolation methods...um hopefully that structure for loading hi-res textures was not changed in the death-droid builds.

Well the folder organization is correct.

http://i.imgur.com/jz5kKOd.png

Pause lmao? Never tried it.
I wonder if hitting F2 to pause the emulator thread while in full screen, and then Alt+Enter to switch to windowed mode also solves the crashing.

But obviously "Pause" key is faster than either method. :rolleyes:

Yup.

I don't think of a reason why he would mind. I just used it and tested full screen and OH MY GOD FULL SCREEN SWITCHED TO WINDOWED PRETTY MUCH locked up my desktop :) sooo wouldn't want to use that version again for a while. Maybe it is a version-specific issue then.

Welcome! to the magical land that is my life.

Project Supporter as you might already knows just means you donated to the project (or maybe some other stuff) before the 2.0 version got released. I think zilmar also made some people project supporters based on their activity on the forum or something.
Ya I got that. I didn't see an option to donate anymore (I've been using PJ64 for a long time, but never bothered to go on the forums for much of anything).

HatCat
20th April 2013, 02:15 PM
Well the folder organization is correct.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-HavIfdzj-sA/TpbqsG410XI/AAAAAAAAW4c/1NyKNQn84yM/s1600/cat%2Bloves%2Bhorse.jpg

Yaaaaaaaay *hugs his fat* xD

Oh well, I guess something changed about hi-res texture loading on death-droid builds, sorry to say I've really been out of touch with hi-res graphics related stuff for a long time, but I'm glad that it seems you found a working solution.

Yup.

Welcome! to the magical land that is my life.

yeah Sounds like something I should remember.
When all Hell freezes over, don't Alt+Enter it; press Pause to freeze it even more.

BOOYAAHHH

Ya I got that. I didn't see an option to donate anymore (I've been using PJ64 for a long time, but never bothered to go on the forums for much of anything).

It's just been so many years that zilmar got a good enough feel for how the donations thing has and would be playing out from that point. He probably had the idea erstwhile that putting ads in the installer would help compensate from this point forward, so, all things considered, all that donation stuff is closed. (Nobody can donate now.)

Hmmm...if you were a programmer and helped zilmar work on Glide64/ some of the core possibly I think you'd be a Project Supporter pretty easily. :D Just an idea though cause idk a lot of other ways.

But it's alright even without cuz you'se still the pony :D

Scootaloo
20th April 2013, 02:44 PM
QBasic is still used today right? LOL jk
_____

So I guess I'll try Glide64 and see how that works.

EDIT: nope. Glide64 is not being recognized by PJ64 -.-

HatCat
20th April 2013, 03:02 PM
You might know this already, but I want to make sure since what was the official Glide64 host is unprovidable now.
You can always get the latest Glide64 final release here: http://code.google.com/p/glidehqplusglitch64/downloads/list (http://code.google.com/p/glidehqplusglitch64/downloads/list)

QBasic lmao...one of those old languages like, my dad would know (only seems to know how to code in the oldest languages, none of the new ones lolz).

So you say it is not loading, could that be because glide3x.dll is not in the same folder as Project64.exe ? It needs glide64 dll in the \Plugin subfolder and glide3x in the root emu folder.

Hey I'll try to be back later sometime today, but I gotta hurry out now. :D Kind of being kicked out, try to catch you later.

Scootaloo
20th April 2013, 03:14 PM
You might know this already, but I want to make sure since what was the official Glide64 host is unprovidable now.
You can always get the latest Glide64 final release here: http://code.google.com/p/glidehqplusglitch64/downloads/list (http://code.google.com/p/glidehqplusglitch64/downloads/list)

QBasic lmao...one of those old languages like, my dad would know (only seems to know how to code in the oldest languages, none of the new ones lolz).

So you say it is not loading, could that be because glide3x.dll is not in the same folder as Project64.exe ? It needs glide64 dll in the \Plugin subfolder and glide3x in the root emu folder.

Hey I'll try to be back later sometime today, but I gotta hurry out now. :D Kind of being kicked out, try to catch you later.

I got PJ64 to recognize, but now I cannot swap to it: http://youtu.be/qAjMT3FR_8M

Scootaloo
20th April 2013, 03:16 PM

I got PJ64 to recognize, but now I cannot swap to it: youtu[replace with dot]be[replace with forward slash]qAjMT3FR_8M

TheLegend
21st April 2013, 02:36 AM
I got PJ64 to recognize, but now I cannot swap to it: youtu[replace with dot]be[replace with forward slash]qAjMT3FR_8M

Try get rid of RiceVideo to force Pj64 switch out of it to Glide64?

ExtremeDude2
21st April 2013, 01:17 PM
Have you tried restarting your computer?

Scootaloo
21st April 2013, 06:59 PM
Have you tried restarting your computer?

Ya I did.

Anyway I finally got Glidee64 working (I had to remove the Rice plugins temporarily so it would let me swap - I'm not sure why the Rice plugins would be blocking it though). Within Glide64 I have high-res textures enabled, but it still doesn't want to load any of the high-res textures. I have the textures in the proper directory by the way.

Scootaloo
22nd April 2013, 02:31 AM
Sorry about the bump, but I have good news:

This was on the "Rice Video Community version" thread over at EmuTalk...

Ya it's with version 2.0, but I really like it.

I'll try and work out what's going wrong with it :S, doesn't make much sense seeing as it worked fine in 1.6, so ill have to have a look whats changed since then.

I had completely forgotten about the problem till then XD