PDA

View Full Version : Project64 2.1

zilmar
1st May 2013, 05:19 AM
Released 2.1, it now has glide64 in the installer.

Project64.exe:

Make sure current dir is base folder (not screnshot)
Initialize eeprom to 0xFF instead of 0x00
Add LL and SC to Analyze Instruction
ignore 0x0407000D as an opcode in analysis
Make it easier for plugins to read directories from the emu
fix per game rsp plugin
updated rdb file

Glide64:

Added version to the installer
Get Settings to go through the emulator
Get Glide64, GlideHQ, Glitch64 to be a single dll
Read texture directory from emulator
Fix up getting functions from texture lib

Input Plugin:

Update to 1.7.0.12 provided by squall

zilmar
1st May 2013, 05:30 AM
squall leonhart did raise that the Glide HQ still doesn't load the entire pack
and the Entire Green channel is missing from a compressed textures/texture cache.

I tried to work out what was wrong, and I could not find it yet. I might have to re-write a decent chunk of the code for me to work out this, I am not sure when I will have the time and energy to do this so I figured it was better to release this update now then to wait till everything is perfect.

Going to see how it works trying to release lots of small releases.

Not sure how my spare time goes.

the_randomizer
1st May 2013, 06:56 AM
I'll be sure to thoroughly test and report back :D

squall_leonhart
1st May 2013, 07:27 AM
no response from kool smoky either :(

im still working with mudlord to see about getting those lens flares fixed in OoT

they affect the intro as well as aiming at the sun.

et500
1st May 2013, 12:23 PM
In the official (non PJ64) Glide final release, I also had a bug where all compressed textures were blue if the cache was created with that version. If the texture cache was created with an older version the textures were OK even when being loaded with Glide64 final. Don't know if that helps but the cause might be in one of the last commits to official Glide64 final.

And a small bug report, viewing the about screen of the new glide plugin in PJ64 2.1 release crashes the emulator.

squall_leonhart
1st May 2013, 12:52 PM
i've never been able to reproduce that in the Final (may) version

it may be a AMD vs Intel bug, particular if any SSE2 is used in the compression code.

the_randomizer
1st May 2013, 03:21 PM
Aha! I found out how to trigger the bug for the screwy graphics (I think)! Loading ROMs from the file-->Open command as opposed to pressing F12 and loading has given me some weird results with many games.

I should note that is when I ran the ROM for the first time upon installing 2.1.0.0, 2.1.0.1, etc. But the second time loading the ROM from the browser, it works just fine. Same thing happened to Mario Kart 64 the first time when I loaded it, but the second time was fine.

Loading Killer Instinct Gold for the first time via File/Open -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=His21v_K7xo&feature=youtu.be

Now, taking the same game, but this time closing the emulator and loading the ROM from the browser, no changes to the emulator were made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4vte5usw8w&feature=youtu.be

Summary:

Loading ROM from the File-->Open - Results vary, can crash or force-close emulator without warning
Loading ROM from ROM Browser - Rarely any issues

Conclusion: Load ROM files from the File/open command is far more unpredictable as opposed to loading same games from the ROM browser...at least from what I can see. Note that this happened in the first 2.1.x.x build and not specific to the newest one.

et500
1st May 2013, 04:05 PM
Glide does not seem to use the default aspect ratio and LOD calculation settings for games like Goldeneye. These settings should not be game specific unless changed while running the game. (Because it is too much effort to change it manually for every single game, the default setting should be used by default).

the_randomizer
1st May 2013, 04:15 PM
Glide does not seem to use the default aspect ratio and LOD calculation settings for games like Goldeneye. These settings should not be game specific unless changed while running the game. (Because it is too much effort to change it manually for every single game, the default setting should be used by default).

I can assume that Zilmar still has bugs to iron out, no biggie:p

shunyuan
1st May 2013, 07:57 PM
Have problems to save Jabo's 1.7.0.12 controller settings.

It took several times to save the settings, after stop emulating, the default setting roll back. And sometimes some parts of settings are saved, some parts are missing, such as the GUID, controller pack, and dead zone.

Is it possible that Jabo's plugin didn't flush setting after OK button is pressed? Or the some delay to reflect the settings save to .ini file?

Tested with Logitech RumblePad 2 USB. Both Project64 2.1.0.1 and Project64 2.0.0.14 have the same problems.

squall_leonhart
1st May 2013, 08:22 PM
no problems what so ever here.

might be permissions again.

@Zilmar, did you change any assembly in glide64, Death-droid raised the possibility that koolsmoky used assembly for alternate crc calculation.

Melchior
1st May 2013, 09:05 PM
I have a bug report of sorts I'll be posting next in the Issues sub-forum.
I had a few crashes that occurred, I have files to upload.

squall_leonhart
1st May 2013, 10:03 PM
what kind of crashes?

the_randomizer
1st May 2013, 11:28 PM
Have problems to save Jabo's 1.7.0.12 controller settings.

It took several times to save the settings, after stop emulating, the default setting roll back. And sometimes some parts of settings are saved, some parts are missing, such as the GUID, controller pack, and dead zone.

Is it possible that Jabo's plugin didn't flush setting after OK button is pressed? Or the some delay to reflect the settings save to .ini file?

Tested with Logitech RumblePad 2 USB. Both Project64 2.1.0.1 and Project64 2.0.0.14 have the same problems.

Have you tried the nRage plugin? Those tend to be less troublesome in my opinion.

shunyuan
2nd May 2013, 03:59 AM
Have you tried the nRage plugin? Those tend to be less troublesome in my opinion.

I have no problems with nRage plugin. But nRage plugin uses its own setting file and doesn't save settings through Project64 2.1 setting manager. Only Jabo's plugins are integrated with emulator's setting manager, so this bug may be in plugin or in emulator's setting manager.

squall_leonhart
2nd May 2013, 08:05 AM
nrage saves settings fine

you are definitely having folder permission issues

shunyuan
2nd May 2013, 08:24 AM
nrage saves settings fine

you are definitely having folder permission issues

I doubted that.

I installed Project64 2.1 and Project64 2.0 under c:\emulator\_n64 folder, and that folder is not window OS protected.

I know Win7 and Vista have UAC problem, so I always install emulators at different folder outside "Program Files", so I can easily copy plugins to emulator plugin folder.

And if it is the permission issues, then I should have similar problems to save other per game settings for Project64 2.1, since they are stored at the project64.cfg file.

Did it make sense?

squall_leonhart
2nd May 2013, 04:03 PM
Folders created by elevated installers are created with limited local user permissions.

nrage settings change fine.

supersaiyanvegeta4000
11th May 2013, 11:23 AM
conker's bad fur day and bomberman 64 stutter a little bit and have a little sound issue like humming or a pitch i can't tell which it is? also indiana jones and the infernal machine still doesn't work?

the_randomizer
11th May 2013, 02:36 PM
conker's bad fur day and bomberman 64 stutter a little bit and have a little sound issue like humming or a pitch i can't tell which it is? also indiana jones and the infernal machine still doesn't work?

Use the audio plugin he made
http://forum.pj64-emu.com/showthread.php?t=3644

It works better than the default.

supersaiyanvegeta4000
13th May 2013, 02:33 AM
what about indiana jones and the infernal machine is there anyway to get it to play right?

AQPHOT
13th May 2013, 11:59 PM
Por que no corre en AMD?, trato de instalarlo y no se puede instalar

squall_leonhart
14th May 2013, 10:30 AM
english or gtfo

supersaiyanvegeta4000
17th May 2013, 11:35 AM
i am trying to play castlevania legacy of darkness but it seems the audio runs a few seconds fast my graphics card is a radeon 7770.i tried all the audio sync options and it still runs a little fast.

Tasoulis
23rd May 2013, 02:26 AM
What is the best RDB to download for this version please?

MELERIX
27th May 2013, 12:37 PM
english or gtfo

thats is not the right way to answer to an user that is just requesting help.

Por que no corre en AMD?, trato de instalarlo y no se puede instalar

tal vez por que tu no tienes actualizado Direct X, o no tienes actualizado los Drivers de Video.

HatCat
28th May 2013, 04:34 AM
thats is not the right way to answer to an user that is just requesting help.

Inappropriate way to answer, probably.

User that is just requesting help?
Mmmmm...nah, user who was breaking the (would-be as discussed) rules of the forum by posting in Australian (or whatever the hell that damn language is them kids use these days!) on a forum knowingly being 99% Americanish (uhh I mean English, I think..right?). Doesn't take a whole lot of intelligence to not do that. :)

tal vez por que tu no tienes actualizado Direct X, o no tienes actualizado los Drivers de Video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFb9XfZeNQs

MELERIX
29th May 2013, 12:54 AM
User that is just requesting help?
Mmmmm...nah, user who was breaking the (would-be as discussed) rules of the forum by posting in Australian (or whatever the hell that damn language is them kids use these days!) on a forum knowingly being 99% Americanish (uhh I mean English, I think..right?). Doesn't take a whole lot of intelligence to not do that. :)

and how did you expect that an user will understand the rules if he doesn't know english ? :rolleyes:

in the same way that you don't understand spanish right ? ;)

imho the user was not doing nothing wrong, we do not know his age to judge him, he was just requesting basic help in his native language, because for obvious reason you can notice that he does not talk in english, and that is not a reason to treat him without respect.

HatCat
29th May 2013, 01:41 AM
and how did you expect that an user will understand the rules if he doesn't know english ? :rolleyes:

in the same way that you don't understand spanish right ?

u no finish reading posts
me repeat again

It takes *intelligence* to observe something like that.
Not "knowledge of the rules" in your language.

For example, I go to a forum.
I see that it is written 99% in Spanish.
I don't post in my native language because I see it's a Spanish forum.
????!
PROFIT! :)

Only you non-English people can't possibly comprehend that for some reason. :rolleyes:
(heh, I'm just being a dumbass, never mind me)

imho the user was not doing nothing wrong, we do not know his age to judge him, he was just requesting basic help in his native language, because for obvious reason you can notice that he does not talk in english, and that is not a reason to treat him without respect.

Well, age doesn't make something more or less worth moderating.
He could be 3 months old and posting hentai across the forum; doesn't change the likelihood of it getting deleted. :D

Bing Translate/even Google Translate that piece of crap!
Different ways to post in English.

Anyway, there isn't an "actual" rule to keep all posts in English.
It was just something the (old) moderators of this site agreed on, but a rules list was never actually organized.

So I don't really care that much; I just wasn't gonna reply as harshly as squall did.

squall_leonhart
8th June 2013, 04:59 AM
ole english, or gtfo.

kdmillar
11th June 2013, 04:46 PM
Why is it that the Project 64 version of Glide in 2.1 does not have the advanced emulation options tab? I hate playing in 4:3 and that made it very simple to stretch the image or force 16:9. Is there and alternative way to do this in 2.1?

ExtremeDude2
11th June 2013, 07:36 PM
It does >.>

kdmillar
11th June 2013, 08:00 PM
Does it? Where?

squall_leonhart
11th June 2013, 10:50 PM
maybe try reading the thread.

kdmillar
12th June 2013, 03:55 AM
I'm sorry, I have read the entire thread and there is no mention of how to force 16:9 or stretch the image using the Glide64 graphics plugin in Project 64 2.1. The final non Project 64 version had a third tab called advanced "Emulation Settings" that had this option within it. Maybe I'm an idiot for not knowing how to do this or where to find it in this version, but all I wanted was help, I do believe that is a major point of a forum.

Edit: I have found the answer finally but on emutalk:
http://www.emutalk.net/threads/54533-Project64-2-1
Squall, this is probably the thread you were referring to as you answered the question there that I have posed here; you most likely thought it was in this thread.

squall_leonhart
12th June 2013, 05:54 AM
Hmm, odd, i thought i had pasted it in here already.

Zilmar answered it himself in another thread.

Xirix
23rd June 2013, 08:13 PM
Would there be a decent mirror to download the installer for this? It would seem my ISP or something else is blocking me from downloading it from the main site, just directs to a page saying "Illegal download attempt".

p_025
23rd June 2013, 09:57 PM
Would there be a decent mirror to download the installer for this? It would seem my ISP or something else is blocking me from downloading it from the main site, just directs to a page saying "Illegal download attempt".

That happens every once in a while, I'm not sure why. It sure doesn't mean "this is illegal, you're going to jail" it just means something went wrong with your download request. Just try again in a few minutes, and every few minutes, until it works.

AdamR
25th June 2013, 05:56 PM
Is there a ZIP/archive download of PJ64 2.1? (I might have missed it)

Mullins
28th June 2013, 06:50 AM
Why does the installer get detected as adware?

AdamR
28th June 2013, 12:55 PM
Probably because of that Delta toolbar included in the installer. You also can't choose not to have it (even unticking all the boxes still has "By clicking Next you accept the License Agreement of Delta Toolbar"). That's why I asked for an archive version ;)

HatCat
28th June 2013, 01:28 PM
Probably because of that Delta toolbar included in the installer. You also can't choose not to have it (even unticking all the boxes still has "By clicking Next you accept the License Agreement of Delta Toolbar"). That's why I asked for an archive version ;)

LMAO!

Thx 4 the tip as I can't remember, but I think I left that box checked just to be nice to zilmar.
Glad to know it wouldn't make a difference XD

the_randomizer
28th June 2013, 06:25 PM

I did see someone post a better archived version on another forum, whether or not that link can be shared here is another story. Not sure why someone did it, but I did see one floating around.

AdamR
28th June 2013, 08:08 PM
LMAO!

Thx 4 the tip as I can't remember, but I think I left that box checked just to be nice to zilmar.
Glad to know it wouldn't make a difference XD
I did donate to Project64 during the 1.7 beta period, surely that's being nice ;)

I did see someone post a better archived version on another forum, whether or not that link can be shared here is another story. Not sure why someone did it, but I did see one floating around.
Found it :) thanks.

HatCat
28th June 2013, 08:48 PM
I did donate to Project64 during the 1.7 beta period, surely that's being nice ;)

http://forum.pj64-emu.com/customavatars/avatar19326_1.gif

p_025
29th June 2013, 11:00 AM

No, the dialog boxes are just set up to be intentionally confusing. Untick all the boxes, and then in the thing that comes up that says "By clicking next you agree to all our bullshit", the gray button in the lower left says SKIP, not cancel. Click it, and it will truthfully skip the damn bloatware install.

DJloser
7th July 2013, 01:56 AM
I want this emulator from this web :confused:

daninthemix
11th July 2013, 08:41 AM
Anyone know a decent set of settings for San Francisco Rush 2049? This game has always had bad sound.

ExtremeDude2
21st July 2013, 01:28 PM
And that is hard to do why?

xensyria
21st July 2013, 03:57 PM
Why does the installer get detected as adware?
I'm getting the same thing. Avast stopped Chrome from downloading this, saying it contained Win32:Toolbar-O [Adw] ... does it include a (hopefully optional) toolbar or is this another case of anti virus reporting "potentially unwanted programs"?

dsx_
21st July 2013, 04:28 PM
includes optional toolbar

Melchior
22nd July 2013, 09:20 PM
includes optional toolbar

SPAMERS again??!

SOUND GENERAL QUARTERS!
BATTLE STATIONS!
loi
has that account been axed yet?

I noticed via auto email thread updates...

dsx_
23rd July 2013, 12:36 AM
what are you on about

Melchior
23rd July 2013, 09:03 PM
what are you on about

your post had looked like a SPAM one......
or was it one of the ones before yours...
yours just looked similar... I had noticed via the instant email updates....

suc
4th August 2013, 08:13 AM
Firefox 22 and Internet Explorer 10 say there's a malware in the Project64 2.1 binaries.
What happens? :eek:
The official download link contains malware http://www.pj64-emu.com/downloads/func-startdown/122/
I think pj64-emu.com will die soon due malware spreading activities

ExtremeDude2
4th August 2013, 12:49 PM
They are wrong(ish :3) so yeah

Dr4xx3n89
8th August 2013, 03:08 AM
Firefox 22 and Internet Explorer 10 say there's a malware in the Project64 2.1 binaries.
What happens? :eek:
The official download link contains malware http://www.pj64-emu.com/downloads/func-startdown/122/
I think pj64-emu.com will die soon due malware spreading activities

malware block a lot of good sites like this one u r wrong :)
and sometimes detect clean files like virus or malwares is a false positive :)

MarioMaster1337
11th August 2013, 12:24 AM
The VI/s won't stay around 60 for normal speed, it keeps going up to between 70 and 100 VI/s.

ExtremeDude2
11th August 2013, 02:07 AM
Disable audio timing

MarioMaster1337
11th August 2013, 03:11 PM
Also, it keeps freezing after a few seconds in full screen mode, and when I try to exit full screen it just freezes and I have to Ctrl+Alt+Delete to shut PJ64 down.

ShadowX
28th August 2013, 07:13 AM
This may be intentional, but I get "Illegal download" if I try to download the binaries without being logged in. Just in case it's not, wanted to let you know =]

Thanks so much for all your hard work! Definitely the best N64 emulator!

:D

hairybones1997
2nd September 2013, 01:46 PM
The same problem that shadow is getting happened to me too. You might wanna fixed so the forums aren't overloaded with dummy accounts.

EDIT: Also considering the fact that we're trying to emulate the 64, are you guys working on a 64-bit version? That would be lovely for my computer. Not many people make 64-bit programs for some reason.

HatCat
2nd September 2013, 04:45 PM
Because 64-bit programs are slower than 32-bit ones.
They use more static allocation and double the span of storage for just basic things, thus if any speed difference at all, resulting in slower performance.

The only times 64-bit is faster than 32-bit is when the goal behind the programming is pertinent to 64-bit capacity.
For example, emulating a 64-bit system with a 64-bit program would be more beneficial than doing a 32-bit emulator for it, but it would be slower if you wrote a 64-bit emulator for an 8-bit system like the NES or something, than as if you just did it in 32-bit or even some 16-bit MS-DOS program.

And N64 is not a 64-bit system; it's actually a couple 32-bit CPUs.
Some complex RCP math is 64-bit tho

the_randomizer
2nd September 2013, 04:55 PM
Not to mention that the real N64 didn't use 64-instructions despite being the first console with a 64-bit CPU. There'd be no real advantage.

HatCat
2nd September 2013, 05:24 PM
And N64 is not a 64-bit system; it's actually a couple 32-bit CPUs.
Some complex RCP math is 64-bit tho

Uhh yeah, something like what that guy said.

Eh RTFM'd that the N64 has *NO* 64-bit CPU and doesn't afraid of anything! :eek:

Anyway, you can still do 64-bit math somewhere in the machine. That's part of why MarathonMan is doing a 64-bit emulator.

the_randomizer
2nd September 2013, 06:26 PM
Yeah.....what you said. Time for me to STFU with my noob knowledge of the N64 hardware :D

Frank74
2nd September 2013, 11:55 PM
Sinclair ZX Spectrum could do 16 bit calculation, even though it had an 8-bit processor.

HatCat
3rd September 2013, 03:17 AM
Looks interesting.

I suppose it's not one of those SIMD things or I would see the specific ISA more easily.

Tho, commonly (especially for things like multiplies), the precision in bits of an operation may be halved into single- and double-precision. So on a 32-bit CPU, there may be "hidden registers", including 64-bit accumulators and other special-purpose regs, to allow for storage on results outside the bounds of the normal bit capacity.

riahc3
13th October 2013, 10:35 AM
What the hell is happening to download page?

Use a standard link for god's sake...

HelpingHand
6th November 2013, 07:57 PM
This may be intentional, but I get "Illegal download" if I try to download the binaries without being logged in. Just in case it's not, wanted to let you know =]

Thanks so much for all your hard work! Definitely the best N64 emulator!

:D

I got the same error, so I switch from Google Chrome to the Evil Internet Explorer, where I got a working link :confused:.
The link is: http://www.pj64-emu.com/downloads/func-download/122/chk,d5a390fd65e568cbafbec3fb6bf03714/no_html,1/ While in Chrome the link has a totally different chk: c925334ffc84dc4ceffef5e2c8884d04 :(

HatCat
6th November 2013, 08:47 PM
People still using Google Crap?

lol.

miteluode
11th November 2013, 11:51 PM
pfff, chrome is the best browser at this point. firefox now is a (worse) chrome clone, ie now isn't as nice as it could be, opera now (and then (and forever)) is opera, safari will only ever work on mac, and other browsers don't exist (konqueror lol).

the illegal download thing was a mistake i think. i guess those versions were tagged as member downloads somehow? yet are publicly seen. kinda funny that ie gets around the check, considering the mechanism seems to have been made for those older versions of ie... all very strange.

the_randomizer
12th November 2013, 12:21 AM
People still using Google Crap?

lol.

Still better than Inters**t explorer. Why the Chrome hate? I'm confused, I mean, what does Firefox have that makes it better?

HatCat
12th November 2013, 01:15 AM
What every browser has: It isn't Google Crap.

HatCat
12th November 2013, 01:18 AM
firefox now is a (worse) chrome clone,

Chrome always was a (worse) browsers clone since the very day I installed it, from which it lasted on my hard disk for about 15 minutes before it got removed. :)

Like in virtually every other market besides browsers, Google waits until there's pre-existing competition before attempting to clone it for themselves. Or your definition of a "clone" is just something that came first.

retroben
12th November 2013, 07:12 PM
Compare them this way on my sucky single core computer.
I have done all of the speed hacks on all three browsers.
Latest versions are installed.

Firefox takes FOREVER to open and a bit longer to gain control.
FireFox is obviously meant for powerhouse computers.

Internet Explorer opens its window instantly,but takes a bit to load.
It is still broken for being extremely unsafe.
It actually works pretty well after its speed hacks though.

Google Chrome is my browser because FireFox SUCKS for older single-cored computers.
Google Chrome is uber-fast and runs flash perfectly when disabling the pepper flash plugin.
Happy Wheels is almost too fast in most cases,sure I have to set minimalist settings to achieve completely full speed.

Aegis Runestone
14th November 2013, 07:31 PM
Question about 2.1: Since it has a Glide pre-installed, what will that do to my current glide plugin?

I'm asking because I downloaded the last version of Glide for 2.0 and I'm using it for Majora's Mask (and it's working pretty well).

Would installing the new version cause problems? And if so, how would I solve them? Thank you.

HatCat
14th November 2013, 08:36 PM

Uninformed user.

Google Chrome is my browser because FireFox SUCKS for older single-cored computers.
Google Chrome is uber-fast and runs flash perfectly when disabling the pepper flash plugin.

http://ft.trillian.im/785abe041074fd64135ab3318aff1ec8767ab03d/6l8bU74wTRj3J6xEd8iPxnBVzp7fk.jpg

Laggiest piece of shit I ever installed at any one point on my DUAL-core machine?
I'd sooner build the Chromium fork without Google's spyware, thanks.

HatCat
14th November 2013, 08:42 PM
Question about 2.1: Since it has a Glide pre-installed, what will that do to my current glide plugin?

I'm asking because I downloaded the last version of Glide for 2.0 and I'm using it for Majora's Mask (and it's working pretty well).

Would installing the new version cause problems? And if so, how would I solve them? Thank you.

If you're upgrading from 1.6 to 2.1, yes it will cause problems.
If it's from 2.0 to 2.1, no it won't.

Whatever version of Glide64 you have currently installed will be called something like Glide64.dll. As long as the filename doesn't conflict with the PJ64Glide64 DLL that zilmar forked then there is no conflict that would overwrite your old installation of the original Glide64. Worst case: Just do a re-install.

Aegis Runestone
14th November 2013, 10:05 PM
If you're upgrading from 1.6 to 2.1, yes it will cause problems.
If it's from 2.0 to 2.1, no it won't.

Whatever version of Glide64 you have currently installed will be called something like Glide64.dll. As long as the filename doesn't conflict with the PJ64Glide64 DLL that zilmar forked then there is no conflict that would overwrite your old installation of the original Glide64. Worst case: Just do a re-install.

Thanks. :)

AdamR
15th November 2013, 12:40 AM
^ I just tried PJ64 2.1.0.1 with Glide64 2.0.0.1 plug-in on Majora's Mask and it works fine. (though I've stuck with Jabo's Direct3D8 1.7.0.57-ver5 as the textures appear better)

Aegis Runestone
15th November 2013, 01:37 AM
It works fine for me, too, but I think the other Glide was better, and either way, it didn't solve the issue I'm having. The thread I made on it is... invalid? I can't seem to access it.

HatCat
15th November 2013, 02:22 AM
^ That's because if a new member posts a link in their message it gets automatically sent to the moderation queue.

It's a measure that eventually got added cause of spamming advertisers linking to their products on the forum.

If you can find a way to re-post without using hyperlinks it should work.

Aegis Runestone
15th November 2013, 02:26 AM
Oh. But wouldn't look umm... spammy to remake the thread? O_o

M1CR0LURK3R
15th November 2013, 08:27 PM
Okay, I'm getting a
"Break point found at .\N64 System\Debugger\Debugger - Memory Search.cpp
26" error when I use the Memory Search function in Majora's Mask. It automatically sets "End Emulation", and the error message box actually pops up twice. I can only test this on Majora's Mask at the moment, but was wondering if this is an Emulator issue first.

Edit: Here is the contents of the Project64.log file:

2013/11/15 14:45:52.238 00680: Error : Break point found at
.\N64 System\Debugger\Debugger - Memory Search.cpp
2013/11/15 14:46:01.184 00680: Error : Break point found at
.\N64 System\Debugger\Debugger - Memory Search.cpp
2013/11/15 14:46:12.225 01060: Error : Failed to get window create notification

Edit2: If I need to post this in the Issues section, can I get "Supporter Status"? I want to be able to use the Debugger function to it's fullest.

retroben
16th November 2013, 07:10 AM
That is an emulator issue so its not game-specific.

I was disappointed to get that issue in 2.1 of PJ64.
Its why I use the emucr leaked 1.7.0.50 b23 version of PJ64 for memory searches.

M1CR0LURK3R
16th November 2013, 03:50 PM
Okay, thanks. I also have an issue with my current save state as of right now... Do I really need 'supporter status' in order to post in the Issues section? If so, can I get that?

HatCat
16th November 2013, 07:10 PM
Do I really need 'supporter status' in order to post in the Issues section?

Was that just something you read about on the forum?

Cause I thought zilmar removed that requirement some time ago.

oddMLan
17th November 2013, 09:15 AM
Compare them this way on my sucky single core computer.

Happy Wheels is almost too fast in most cases,sure I have to set minimalist settings to achieve completely full speed.

Well, is the opposite for me. Firefox takes about 10 seconds to open in a "cold" start and takes about 5 seconds in a "warm" start. With 25+ extensions installed. I use the nightly UX version (28.0a1) and has never, ever crashed for me. With Opera/Chrome there wasn't a single day that didn't crash at least a single time (I don't know if some extension was causing it but w/e, Firefox extensions don't crash for me :D).

Also, the fastest browser for me is IE10, but it's quite unstable and not as feature rich as other browsers. Firefox, for me, is the second fastest with the appropriate about:config setting (not using pointless "speed hacks" like setting up nglayout.initialpaint.delay to 0 which actually fires the CPU usage and makes pages take longer to load, like most "speed guides" recommend to do.) Chrome/Opera take less time to open than the other two, and load pages slower with like 5 extensions and using the default settings. On the upside Flash works smoother in these two, but I get crashes at least one time per day. Well, I don't like Chrome to begin with, so I just use Firefox and Internet Explorer with sites that don't work correctly in Firefox. I used to use Opera but since it changed its codebase to Chromium, it got even more unstable than Chrome and a lot of features were missing, so I uninstalled that shit :D

I don't even have a powerhouse computer to begin with.

My specs:
Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) 145 (Single Core) @3.2 Ghz (overclocked)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 7025 (integrated)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar WD2500SD-01KCB0 250GB, 7200 RPM
RAM: 4GB Kingston DDR-3 @1333Mhz (Dual channel)

ExtremeDude2
17th November 2013, 02:54 PM
Just fyi IE 11 is out :rolleyes:

the_randomizer
17th November 2013, 03:56 PM
Just fyi IE 11 is out :rolleyes:

IE still has many instabilities and vulnerabilities :p Chrome or Firefox FTW.

HatCat
17th November 2013, 05:48 PM
The involuntary customer spying Microsoft do on their customers, pales in comparison to what Google does to all its public user bases.

Virtually everyone who is not a programmer is vulnerable to Google's software.

You want to talk about vulnerability, kid? Google is the real problem.

Internet Explorer is definitely the most refuted in browser legacy, but that's why it changed to get more secure. Microsoft isn't an OS author for nothing; they at least understand security issues more than your prejudice of version numbers has you believe. It's still attached to your OS, so not using IE as a browser doesn't necessarily make you any less vulnerable than the version of this OS component you have installed.

Well, I don't like Chrome to begin with, so I just use Firefox and Internet Explorer with sites that don't work correctly in Firefox. I used to use Opera but since it changed its codebase to Chromium, it got even more unstable than Chrome and a lot of features were missing, so I uninstalled that shit :D

Thx for the tip. I've been curious to try building the Chromium source code for some time, but I was worried that would be time spent in vain.

Also me when I use FireFox I do get browser crashes, but that's probably just because I leave like over 9000 browser tabs open. FireFox never was the best with memory management stuff, but for all the simple things it seems more than sufficient for me.

oddMLan
17th November 2013, 11:01 PM
Just fyi IE 11 is out
Oh, I wasn't aware it was already out for Windows 7, thank you.

The involuntary customer spying Microsoft do on their customers, pales in comparison to what Google does to all its public user bases.

Ditto.

Also me when I use FireFox I do get browser crashes, but that's probably just because I leave like over 9000 browser tabs open. FireFox never was the best with memory management stuff, but for all the simple things it seems more than sufficient for me.
Oh, you should try the Firefox Aurora/Nightly builds. They got a new cache/memory management system. It's not enabled by default, but can be enabled through a setting in about:config (http://www.janbambas.cz/mozilla-firefox-new-http-cache-is-live/). On the downside the cache has be created from scratch (and every time it updates), but on the upside you'll get a more stable, steadier browsing experience with much less hangs and freezes than before. (I know that, because that's what I'm using).

http://i.imgur.com/8YJnJHS.png
http://i.imgur.com/tRexSuG.png
http://i.imgur.com/pS95Gmz.png

http://ft.trillian.im/785abe041074fd64135ab3318aff1ec8767ab03d/6l8bU74wTRj3J6xEd8iPxnBVzp7fk.jpg

:eek:
Chrome is for satanists. nintendo1889 is the antichrist confirmed.

HatCat
18th November 2013, 12:27 AM
Haha, that timing was incidental.

I only posted the Chrome = 666 thing cause it was just something I recently found.
I wasn't really conscious that nintendo had 666 - 1 posts at the time.

But yeah, I guess it doesn't hurt to emulate nintendo every once in a while. :eek:

Oh, you should try the Firefox Aurora/Nightly builds. They got a new cache/memory management system. It's not enabled by default, but can be enabled through a setting in about:config (http://www.janbambas.cz/mozilla-firefox-new-http-cache-is-live/). On the downside the cache has be created from scratch (and every time it updates), but on the upside you'll get a more stable, steadier browsing experience with much less hangs and freezes than before. (I know that, because that's what I'm using).

I actually have been using Nightly all of this time.
I tend to have Pale Moon simultaneously open nowadays. I'm slowly migrating over to it...I think.
I haven't used the original Mozilla FireFox in like, over a year, maybe two?

But I have never heard of about:config before.
Looks crazy, :D I applied the new HTTP setting and doubled my RAM cache setting to 100K.

ExtremeDude2
19th November 2013, 03:12 AM
Virtually everyone who is not a programmer is vulnerable to Google's software.

Woooooooooooooo

I tend to have Pale Moon simultaneously open nowadays.

Noice, I use to use that XD

HatCat
19th November 2013, 04:09 AM
Pahaha, bull shit.

You don't even know how to get Qt GUI working in C++.
You can program if it means doing some fairly straightforward stuffs.

Google has probably collected over a thousand naked pictures of both Natdaterpaterpot and you for continuing to use their spyware. http://www.nevadashooters.com/images/smilies/hand.gif

And on top of that, Google Maps has plotted your asscrack.
One Google feature for each body part. :D

ExtremeDude2
20th November 2013, 02:29 AM
You don't even know how to get Qt GUI working in C++.

Uh, then please go do it yourself since I already did :rolleyes:

retroben
12th December 2013, 10:17 PM
@BatCat:I may have found a solution for Chrome for your computer with more than one core.

If you decide to try it,get Chrome again.
After installing it,open it up then open the task manager
with ctrl+alt+delete or by right clicking the taskbar.
Right click Chrome and click go to process.
The main Chrome process will be selected.
Right click to find an option called "set affinity" that sets what cores to run the program on.
Set it so that only CPU0 is being used.

Now you should get a much better performance with Chrome.

Here is an automatic setting you add to the target field in a Chrome shortcut
so you don't have to keep setting it every time.

/affinity 1

Just go to the last part where "chrome.exe" is and add it after making one space away from the name.

HatCat
12th December 2013, 10:44 PM
Right, something about Chrome with Ctrl+Alt+Del. Makes perfect sense, thanks.

M1CR0LURK3R
13th December 2013, 12:05 AM
Here is an automatic setting you add to the target field in a Chrome shortcut
so you don't have to keep setting it every time.

/affinity 1

Just go to the last part where "chrome.exe" is and add it after making one space away from the name.

Uhhhh, no. That's not right. the /affinity flag is a Command Prompt flag, and will not work like that. @BatCat, if Chrome is pinned to your taskbar (if you have Win7) try right-clicking on Chrome there, then right-click on "Google Chrome, then click "Properties". In the Target box, type this, exactly as shown on the next line:
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start "" /affinity 01 "C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"

Click Apply.
Now Chrome should use only ONE core from your processor at a time. Oh, and thanks retroben. I COMPLETELY forgot about that argument. I could've tried using that LOOOONG ago, but didn't ever think to do it. :D

retroben
13th December 2013, 02:34 AM
I found an even better way to make it run in one core.

Just find the main folder where chrome.exe is located.
An easy way is to right click the chrome.exe in task manager's processes tab
and click "open file location" where we will be
creating a batch file with a new text file.
Name it whatever you like.

Right click and edit the new text file to paste and save the following...

start /affinity 1 chrome.exe

After saving,rename it to the .bat format.
Now all you have to do is right click your new batch
file,mouse over "send to" and click "Desktop (create shortcut)" to obviously
create a shortcut on your desktop.
You can probably even proceed to pin it onto the taskbar.
Just double click the batch file to open chrome using only one core.

I opened with a batch successfully just now on my single core (LOL).

longrodvonhuge64
16th December 2013, 02:11 AM
Hi I'm new to this site but I really needed help. I have project 64 1.6 and I play star fox 64 a lot. I've unlocked expert mode and gotten all the medals but on foot mode doesn't show up in multiplayer while tanks work fine. Does this have anything to do with my emulator, the ROM, or the version of project 64 i have. I really need expert help here because on foot mode is a real awesome part of the game and i really want to play it. Thank you.

Sigma_Virus
18th February 2014, 12:29 PM
Guess I'm a little bit late to the party but after almost 9 years with 1.6 I guess it was time to switch to 2.1 now when I'm at Windows 8.1

Got nothing to complain about yet since I read through most of the common problems people had, like timer issues in Majora's Mask for example and applied the fixes that got mentioned.

The games run smooth so far and I'm starting to get the hang of it with the GUI changes from 1.6

Great work on this! Looking forward to play through the games I own on 2.1 from start. Been a couple of years now actually.

FireWSP
12th April 2014, 04:46 PM
Is still somebody working on Glide64?
I tried it (again) with Pj64 2.1 and this plugin still has this horrible memory leak when playing Mystical Ninja/Ganbare Goemon 64.
When playing this game, the Memory will be filled until 1,4 GB and then the whole emu crashes.
You can even monitor the memory usage on the resource monitor.
When you enter a new area in the game the memory gets filled more and more.
When you quit the emulation before it crashes and want to load a new game it says "Cannot allocate Memory".

squall_leonhart
15th April 2014, 09:18 AM
Are you using a texture pack with that game.

if so, thats not a memory leak - the texture pack is just too large for 32bit address space limits (patch project64.exe with large address aware.)

FireWSP
17th April 2014, 09:36 AM
No, i dont use any texture packs. Thats the standard EU or US Rom i use. Both are from the latest Goodset. This bug is present since a few years btw and occurs only with the Glide64 Plugin. The thing is that Glide64 is, in my oppinion, the best gfx plugin to play Goemon.

cthon98
1st May 2014, 12:08 PM
Who do we "thank" for Conduit? One misclick during installation and it was too late to save my homepages or any of my options on any of my browsers, even though clicking cancel SAYS it reverted the changes. Conduit is straight up malware and whoever packaged it with Project64 should be ashamed of themselves.

run of the mill twat
1st May 2014, 02:32 PM
Thank zilmar for releasing this piece of shit version. It's pretty irrelevant since pj64 1.6 and mupen64plus are better.

Predator82
1st May 2014, 07:17 PM
Use Mupen & donīt cry here

groizen
20th May 2014, 12:41 PM
How to load save states after Pj64 2.1 has been downloaded again?

By mistake i unchecked "limit FPS" and the game became irritating to play, but when i tried to revert the change i haas made, the option was gone. So i downloaded PJ64 2.1 again and now i do not know how to load my save states!

Anyone?

jump_ace
2nd June 2014, 04:29 PM
EDIT: I'm sorry, I put this in the wrong thread. Please delete.

Jerome

jamesjhutto
7th December 2014, 12:01 PM
Who was the moronic jackass that included Search Protect by Conduit in the installer for Project64?

Why do I ask? Conduit LTD offers kickbacks for companies and people who include Search Protect in their software.

Now I understand running a website costs money, I am not blind to that being I do run a Forum website and yes it costs money.

However you guys ask for donations, which I am sure everyone is cool with, but why ask for donation and then sneak in Search Protect? That in it's self seems back handed, greedy and dishonest. And yes while you offer a option to opt out of installing it, not everyone is going to catch it.

Hell if you want to make money off your product make Project64 a Freemium, let the emulator be free, however any special features you can charge for(ie ability to use Game Genie, Action Replay Codes, Game Shark Codes, Etc, Etc), that way you have a monetary stream, especially if it is good.

But having an additional program install along with your product isn't right.

V1del
7th December 2014, 12:58 PM
They don't ask for donations since the release of 2.0 so that point is moot.

And you are the thousandth person mentioning this, it has been discussed up and down, if you don't like this direction of the emulator then don't use it but don't go calling people jackasses for wanting some form of revenue of a project that they poured thousands of hours into. In the end you are the one that wants to use it so these "jackasses" must have done something right as you seem to want to use something they produced.

=X= Smasherx74 =X=
7th December 2014, 04:07 PM
They don't ask for donations since the release of 2.0 so that point is moot.

And you are the thousandth person mentioning this, it has been discussed up and down, if you don't like this direction of the emulator then don't use it but don't go calling people jackasses for wanting some form of revenue of a project that they poured thousands of hours into. In the end you are the one that wants to use it so these "jackasses" must have done something right as you seem to want to use something they produced.

Don't you find it a bit strange you have a donation status and you're defending Jabo and zilmar's Cash grab? They literally SOLD Project64, WORST than how the Andriod store sells better Emulator versions of every free version lmfao.

I don't care if you put in work for the emulator, they kept the emulator CLOSED source for years, the only source we have is 1.4 and it was significantly outdated compared to the 1.5 and 1.6 versions. Zilmar and Jabo CHOSE to work on PJ64 Alone, and look what we got in the end

-Faulty Jabo Plugins
-Faulty Emulator Files
-Faulty Core Emulator Configuration.

Now, does anyone on these forums stop and ask why we have to come to these forums to fix games SPECIFICALLY individual ROM by ROM to make them run the way they should. All of these issues should have been fixed, especially in the 2.1 release.

Face it, Zilmar and Jabo and the rest of their dead team shitted on the N64 Emulation community. Nobody likes PJ64, the only people that use it are casual kids who find things like this off youtube videos. In 2014 there is NO REASON at ALL to use Pj64 for N64 emulation. THIS IS 100% FACTUAL, and since this is the case, You should not be defending these criminals.

Mupen64 has ALWAYS been superior to PJ64 in every way lol. And now with all these Mupen64plus gui and launchers like PyM64 and Bizhawks and whatever else there is absolutely NO NEED for PJ64.

These guys did not deserve the money they get from this site, if ANYONE deserves it, it's the general N64 community that has kept n64 emulation alive and going over the past years, and that list would even include Squaltard over these criminals.

V1del
7th December 2014, 05:37 PM
None of the other emulators woud've remotely been possible without the groundwork laid by zilmar and jabo. And where did you read that I'm defending the cashgrab? I simply respect the work they do, I'm also not happy about the current situation, doesn't give some random dude the right to insult people without having done an ounce of work.

I also mainly use m64p, if you had bothered to read some of my posts you'd know that, still doesn't mean the work that went into this emulator means nothing.If you think that you are a delusional moron.

HatCat
7th December 2014, 06:16 PM
Eh. It's not really much of an emulation "community" when it's just a bunch of gamers using semi-translating, semi-interpreting "emulators" to play their video games on it (forgetting HLE even). It's more like a "community" of people that wish upon their wishing star that somebody will sacrifice their life to make N64 on the PC more perfect, which isn't really the same thing as emulation. Translation is a very broad and general term. Saying that you're a fan of emulators isn't specifically the same as saying you're a fan of being able to play games from another console onto your PC.

I remember when I thought I was the only one who couldn't stand Project64 because it seemed like everyone else was just involuntarily glued to it by impulse over logic and factual reason. Guess the tables sure have turned.

Now, does anyone on these forums stop and ask why we have to come to these forums to fix games SPECIFICALLY individual ROM by ROM to make them run the way they should. All of these issues should have been fixed, especially in the 2.1 release.

Well I imagine that was deliberately to make the end users work for it since Project64 isn't cycle-accurate and has worse timing than others. So by the time somebody reported enough RDB fixes that was meant to no longer be an issue. So yeah actually I'm pretty sure that what you just said was intended to get people to complain about it and test.

Then again dsx made a pretty good RDB minus the external patch for turning off fixed audio timing (which IIRC he merged in), and I usually just use the interpreter core for just about everything anyway so...not that much of an inconvenient/permanent issue.

RPGMaster
7th December 2014, 10:44 PM
-Faulty Jabo Plugins

All of these issues should have been fixed, especially in the 2.1 release.

Mupen64 has ALWAYS been superior to PJ64 in every way lol. And now with all these Mupen64plus gui and launchers like PyM64 and Bizhawks and whatever else there is absolutely NO NEED for PJ64.While you made some good points, i strongly disagree with the parts I quoted.

Jabo's plugins are actually pretty good (usually 2nd best HLE plugin). I know you're a fan of Smash64, which Jabo's plugin works really good on. Not everyone can run glide64 at full speed for every game. Glide64 aint perfect either.

No N64 emulator is flawless man.

Mupen64 is not 100% superior to PJ64 in every way. Please do not exaggerate. Correct me if I'm wrong, but none of those emulators you mentioned can even play WDC or Stunt Racer 64. That alone makes PJ64 2.1 valuable to some degree imo. I'm sure there are also games that run better on PJ64. I'm not saying PJ64 is the best emulator, because tbqh I'm not sure what emulator actually is "the best", but I at least acknowledge some pros and cons of different emulators.

Ambient_Malice
7th December 2014, 11:19 PM
While you made some good points, i strongly disagree with the parts I quoted.

Jabo's plugins are actually pretty good (usually 2nd best HLE plugin). I know you're a fan of Smash64, which Jabo's plugin works really good on. Not everyone can run glide64 at full speed for every game. Glide64 aint perfect either.

No N64 emulator is flawless man.

Mupen64 is not 100% superior to PJ64 in every way. Please do not exaggerate. Correct me if I'm wrong, but none of those emulators you mentioned can even play WDC or Stunt Racer 64. That alone makes PJ64 2.1 valuable to some degree imo. I'm sure there are also games that run better on PJ64. I'm not saying PJ64 is the best emulator, because tbqh I'm not sure what emulator actually is "the best", but I at least acknowledge some pros and cons of different emulators.
mupen64plus and PJ64 have mutual pros and cons. PJ64 runs BOSS games. mupen64plus runs Factor 5 games.
(I believe the mupen64plus team have studied the PJ64 source code and have an idea of how to run games which require CPU-RSP synching, but that doesn't seem to have happened yet.)

As for Jabo, his plugins are good. Very good. His 1.7 LLE/HLE hybrid video plugin is a remarkable piece of work.

PJ64 and mupen64plus are different approaches to the same problem. The biggest advantage m64p has at the moment is it is under semi-active development and can be ported. PJ64 is locked to Windows and its development has stagnated.

dsx_
8th December 2014, 07:17 AM
lol amazing drama

RPGMaster
9th December 2014, 06:58 AM
mupen64plus and PJ64 have mutual pros and cons. PJ64 runs BOSS games. mupen64plus runs Factor 5 games.

As for Jabo, his plugins are good. Very good. His 1.7 LLE/HLE hybrid video plugin is a remarkable piece of work.Agreed.

PJ64 and mupen64plus are different approaches to the same problem. The biggest advantage m64p has at the moment is it is under semi-active development and can be ported. PJ64 is locked to Windows and its development has stagnated.Lol people say m64p is active, but what have they done recently? I'm genuinely curious, because I haven't checked in a while. PJ64's development has stagnated, but I think it's going to get better, now that zilmar has started posting on the forums again and is accepting pull requests. I haven't gotten around to doing that yet ;/ . I like how mupen64 handles audio, but m64p needs more plugins! There's only 1 LLE gfx plugin afaik and no RSP recompiler :( . I'd probably be satisfied with using z64gl if I did not have hardware specific issues with that plugin ;/ .

V1del
9th December 2014, 06:16 PM
Agreed.
Lol people say m64p is active, but what have they done recently? I'm genuinely curious, because I haven't checked in a while. PJ64's development has stagnated, but I think it's going to get better, now that zilmar has started posting on the forums again and is accepting pull requests. I haven't gotten around to doing that yet ;/ . I like how mupen64 handles audio, but m64p needs more plugins! There's only 1 LLE gfx plugin afaik and no RSP recompiler :( . I'd probably be satisfied with using z64gl if I did not have hardware specific issues with that plugin ;/ .

Y'know the github is out there in the open and stuff :P Not all that much was done lately mostly merging back fixes on the android side of things so original m64p can potentially be compiled and used on ARM devices. Some small performance optimizations in the hle-rsp and core, nothing overly significant. Regarding the plugins on lle gfx side there's GLideN64 now, which from my short play with rogue squadron seems to work fine. Regarding the RSP isnt HLE theoretically faster anyway (if done right, dunno how much that holds true for m64ps rsp :p)?

HatCat
9th December 2014, 08:38 PM
Regarding the RSP isnt HLE theoretically faster anyway (if done right, dunno how much that holds true for m64ps rsp :p)?

Yeah not really sure why they haven't ported recompiler code for RSP. Maybe they don't know how (it was mudlord's idea to them to port my interpreter), maybe they're not interested because HLE > recompilers like you said. Maybe it's a lack of sources...don't really have any RSP recompiler code outside of MAME, ziggy and Jabo/zilmar with some non-portable stuff.

No real loss though. If not having any recompiler code means getting an entire army of people bashing and yelling at for not having any I'd view that as an advantage. :)

RPGMaster
9th December 2014, 09:11 PM
I guess their code google page was just outdated, last time i checked :D . I can't remember if I ever downloaded their stuff from github. I hope it has those MSVC project files. I've actually become more interested in working with their source.

I gotta check out their hle rsp too, since the one I'm using is months old. Lol my comment about RSP was just nitpicking xD, because I wouldn't even be able to use an ideal LLE gfx plugin. Someone would have to either fix up z64gl, or port angrylion's plugin. Or I'd have to get new hardware so that z64gl is more suitable ;/ . I don't have OpenGL 4.2 so I couldn't use GlideN64 even if I wanted to :( . I could port the RSP myself anyway :D .

Yes HLE is faster than LLE, especially for audio. HLE audio could be even faster if they optimized it for modern hardware, but I'm kinda glad they didn't because it's nice that people with low end hardware can still run audio very fast. I care about LLE gfx because I like some games that haven't been completely HLE'd, like Last Legion. So there's still a reason to use LLE, at least for gfx.

V1del
9th December 2014, 09:55 PM
Yes the google code page is only really used for release announcements/issue tracking, current development happens on github (afaik there were some historical reasons for this changing of platforms, google code didn't support any proper VCS except svn for the longest time and in order not to be bound to svn they went to bitbucket with mercurial and afterwards switched to github due to the bigger exposure and easier collaboration with the various forks)

RPGMaster
9th December 2014, 10:41 PM
Alright, thanks for the explanation. I'll check out their github sometime.

Billy2014
10th December 2014, 01:54 AM
Mr. RPGMaster :

Pls, I do not know if you know tell me when there is a new version (?).

I have present the version 2.1.0.1.

Thank you so much.

RPGMaster
10th December 2014, 02:41 AM
Mr. RPGMaster :

Pls, I do not know if you know tell me when there is a new version (?).

I have present the version 2.1.0.1.

Thank you so much.I honestly don't know when there will be a new version. I'm sure he will make an announcement when it happens.

Ambient_Malice
10th December 2014, 04:33 AM
If you want to download the latest mupen64plus binaries, google "mupen64plus-mxe-daily", choose the downloads page, and click "download repository" - 196.6MB.

Ignore the file size. The archive is actually 15-16MB. It contains both 32 and 64 bit versions of mupen64plus. Fascinatingly, the 64 bit version cures some rendering issues with Infernal Machine in dynarec - namely the terrain disappearing and portals not rendering correctly.

I can't get the new binaries to work correctly with the m64py frontend, though. I've ended up using mupen64plus-QT as a front-end, but I used m64py to configure controls, since QT has no control config menu.

I've noticed a rather alarming performance regression with the SSSE3 version of the cxd4 RSP plugin in the latest binaries when running Factor 5 games.

I mainly use mupen64plus for LLE stuff because I can't stand the way mupen64plus handles Glide64. Maybe GLideN64 will solve that problem.

As for mupen64plus's development, it's reasonably active. Dunno about the precise changes. Some talk about a new dynarec. Porting to android and rasberry pi seems to be a big focus. But the emulator's core has had some performance improvements since July 2013 (M64p 2.0 release date), according to the commit logs.

RPGMaster
10th December 2014, 05:24 AM
Last time I tried mxe daily, maybe like 1-2 months ago, a bunch of plugins didn't even work :( . Like Rice and Glide64. I could only pick plugins like z64gl and Glidemk2 (no thnx :D ).

Interesting that you mention 64bit. That kind of makes me want to do some 64bit programming, but I have too many things I want to do atm.

About that performance regression, it must bad compiler settings or something. I compiled HatCat's plugin with intel (SSSE3) and the performance was better than previous versions. SSSE3 still had a slight improvement over SSE2.

Rofl I wish m64p displayed the VI/s so I could see how the core speed compares with PJ64's. Maybe I'll check go download mupen64plus-mxe-daily again and see what's up. I'm glad M64p had performance improvements :D . Always good to hear!

HatCat
10th December 2014, 03:48 PM
I've noticed a rather alarming performance regression with the SSSE3 version of the cxd4 RSP plugin in the latest binaries when running Factor 5 games.

I can't remember. I moved some stuff around with the ARCH_MIN_SSE2 and ARCH_MIN_SSSE3 macros, and they might not have synced that or something. There was a recent commit where I addressed that; it just isn't pushed yet.

V1del
10th December 2014, 05:30 PM
It up to date with what you have in master right now, I'd have to go and compare myself to check if there is indeed such a big regression, it could also be that the build environment of the daily builds is rather old and therefore fails some optimisations or something :rolleyes: might be worth looking into, a bit busy right now so I might not get to it until holidays start (which is 2 weeks from now)

EDIT: Went ahead and played some rogue squadron SSSE3 does indeed seem a bit slower (although not to the degrees mentioned by Ambient on my machine) running both on linux compiled with gcc 4.9.2

HatCat
10th December 2014, 07:45 PM
Hm. Well I never touched any of the SSSE3 code since the public release I did; the only thing that's written in SSSE3 is the shuffling. So I think it's not SSSE3-related.

Then again, I have no GCC 4.9.2 because MinGW slacks behind. I do however have Linux and got my plugin to compile on it for Mupen64 0.5 (fixed a compiler error with the Linux port too, wonder if they synced that cause I know I haven't pushed that to master yet). I don't remember any of the games seeming any slower than how I got it to build with MinGW on Windows; maybe it's something with their makefile or something experimental about the updated compiler they use.

RPGMaster
10th December 2014, 08:28 PM
Lol, I was about to report that it was slower on mine too. But I went and enabled Whole Program Optimization, for intel. So either that fixed it for me, or the binary I had in my PJ64 2.1 folder was a testing build that I forgot about ;/ . Either way, it's faster on my end for Rogue Squadron. So it must be something they did wrong.

HatCat
10th December 2014, 10:40 PM
Who said anything about MSVC haha. This is news to me?! Your Microsoft Visual Studio build of my RSP plugin is faster than my MinGW public release 6? I wasn't expecting that, but I guess it's apt to expect, considering what drastic bottlenecks the vector multiply and packs/unpacks without temporary intrinsic solutions were.

I'm only talking about GCC here which is what they're using on Linux. It's certainly faster for me (I'm sure I've lost credibility to say that though after the whole SSSE3 interpreter > recompiler generalization I made :p ), so I have no idea what happened to make it slower for them. If somebody could isolate as of what commit this happened I'd greatly appreciate it.

Ambient_Malice
11th December 2014, 12:55 AM
It up to date with what you have in master right now, I'd have to go and compare myself to check if there is indeed such a big regression, it could also be that the build environment of the daily builds is rather old and therefore fails some optimisations or something :rolleyes: might be worth looking into, a bit busy right now so I might not get to it until holidays start (which is 2 weeks from now)

EDIT: Went ahead and played some rogue squadron SSSE3 does indeed seem a bit slower (although not to the degrees mentioned by Ambient on my machine) running both on linux compiled with gcc 4.9.2

Naboo/Infernal Machine seem worse affected, especially when it comes to rendering particle effects, which are RSP-based.

During the intro for Infernal Machine, the new SSSE3 drops to 24-30Hz on my Core Quad @ 3.2Ghz. The new SSE2 runs at a steady 49-50Hz. (Rom is PAL.) The old SSSE3 from m64py dips to 40Hz at spots during this intro.

RPGMaster
11th December 2014, 12:55 AM
Actually Intel is integrated into MSVC. Same with Clang. If GCC was integrated into MSVC, I'd probably use that more too :D .

I just tried MSVC, it couldn't even compile SSSE3 ;/ .

Error 66 error C2284: '_mm_shuffle_epi8': illegal argument to intrinsic function, parameter 1

it was refering to
vd = _mm_shuffle_epi8(vd, key);

MSVC is too slow ;/ . I'm actually surprised how bad it was. You'd probably have to do more than just altering the vector instructions, to even catch up with build #6, for MSVC.

I'm almost 100% certain it's some compiler issue. Wouldn't make sense why my Intel build would be faster, when HatCat optimized his code for GCC. + HatCat said it was faster for him too :D .

V1del
11th December 2014, 12:56 AM
It didn't really test thouroughly could also just've been some placebo or something *shrug*

EDIT just read all those posts, may test indiana then

RPGMaster
11th December 2014, 12:58 AM
I just realized, it could just be the compiler version they used. For example, VCH was terrible with Intel.

Also MSVC was just really bad ;/ .

HatCat
11th December 2014, 01:31 AM
During the intro for Infernal Machine, the new SSSE3 drops to 24-30Hz on my Core Quad @ 3.2Ghz. The new SSE2 runs at a steady 49-50Hz.

the new SSSE3 drops to 24-30Hz on my Core Quad @ 3.2Ghz. The new SSE2 runs at a steady 49-50Hz.

the new SSSE3 drops to 24-30Hz on my Core Quad @ 3.2Ghz. The new SSE2 runs at a steady 49-50Hz.

the new SSSE3 drops to 24-30Hz.... The new SSE2 runs at a steady 49-50Hz.
WAT?!

Their new m64+ SSSE3 build of my plugin is slower than their new SSE2 build of it?

lol they must have a fucked up makefile now then, when ecsv was still on the team I'd helped him fix the makefile, maybe someone changed it again

Ambient_Malice
11th December 2014, 03:03 AM
It didn't really test thouroughly could also just've been some placebo or something *shrug*

EDIT just read all those posts, may test indiana then

I have no clue why, but the 64 bit version of m64p runs Naboo/Infernal much better than the 32 bit version, particularly in dynarec mode. Both games suffer extreme rendering errors resulting in geometry flickering and portals rendering incorrectly, but the 64 bit version is completely unaffected. I've mentioned this fact on the mupen64plus google group, along with my RSP findings. Hopefully this results in some improvements.

I think the m64p team need to set up a proper automated build system, because the bitbucket thing is just... there. Chugging along like some ghostly compiler attempting to fulfill the dying wish of its creators. There's no way to download old binaries for testing, which is particularly annoying for obsessives like me.

V1del
11th December 2014, 07:12 PM
@HatCat
Only thing I see is that someone added link time optimization - probably in accordance to the other makefiles - do you think that this could cause such a difference?

I have no clue why, but the 64 bit version of m64p runs Naboo/Infernal much better than the 32 bit version, particularly in dynarec mode. Both games suffer extreme rendering errors resulting in geometry flickering and portals rendering incorrectly, but the 64 bit version is completely unaffected. I've mentioned this fact on the mupen64plus google group, along with my RSP findings. Hopefully this results in some improvements.

As mentioned on the group, this one's rather easy to explain, the 64-bit dynarec is different from the 32-bit dynarec as it has to compile to a slightly different architecture, chances that there are some fixes/bugs in there the 32bit dynarec doesn't have and vice versa are pretty high

I think the m64p team need to set up a proper automated build system, because the bitbucket thing is just... there. Chugging along like some ghostly compiler attempting to fulfill the dying wish of its creators. There's no way to download old binaries for testing, which is particularly annoying for obsessives like me.

I just checked the commit logs and it does seem like ecsv still keeps it updated and stuff, there where some things he definitely did manually not too long ago, so it probably isn't outdated. And it's git you most definitely can download older builds. Bitbuckets webinterface just isn't that much use, you'd have to use a git client and checkout the revision at a certain point in time to get the build from that date (in retrospect, now it makes sense why the repository download is mentioned as being 190MB, the whole repo is actually that big because of course the file history remains, it just starts to download whatever, maybe use the branch -> master download on your next try as I don't know WHAT it actually downloads if you click that repository link :rolleyes:) that said a git-bisect to figure out when exactly the regression happened would be really cool.

I tested Indiana now and I definitely don't have that big of a slowdown with SSSE3 compared to SSE2 BUT it also isn't any particularly faster with it :confused: (used z64gl and indiana (U) to test, maybe the game version also makes some difference?)

RPGMaster
11th December 2014, 08:09 PM
I think making a 64 bit dynarec is significantly easier. More registers, and it's not a hassle doing 64 bit operations. So I'm not surprised that it works better.

I highly doubt LTO caused the speed regression. I think someone else should try compiling it. Maybe I'll give it a try, but i give up easily :D .

Melchior
28th December 2014, 05:17 AM
I think making a 64 bit dynarec is significantly easier. More registers, and it's not a hassle doing 64 bit operations. So I'm not surprised that it works better.

I highly doubt LTO caused the speed regression. I think someone else should try compiling it. Maybe I'll give it a try, but i give up easily :D .

Any chance PJ64 will get an upgrade to 64bit some day? loi =D

ps(semi-off-topic):
I finally got my self a copy of Windows XP Professional 64bit SP2 off of eBay the week before and got it up to speed with all updates drivers etc its working great, I can finally make the full use of this OLD LAN center Gaming rig(mobo is 2006-2007,) specs are in the updated signature.

RPGMaster
28th December 2014, 10:12 AM
Any chance PJ64 will get an upgrade to 64bit some day? loi =DThat's up to zilmar, not me :D . I doubt it's on his priority list though.
ps(semi-off-topic):
I finally got my self a copy of Windows XP Professional 64bit SP2 off of eBay the week before and got it up to speed with all updates drivers etc its working great, I can finally make the full use of this OLD LAN center Gaming rig(mobo is 2006-2007,) specs are in the updated signature.Cool :) . I wouldn't recommend using XAudio2 on XP, since it's apparently layered on top of Direct Sound, in XP. Luckily you get to enjoy older software though.

Melchior
28th December 2014, 08:48 PM
thx ^_^.....

NickG
6th November 2016, 04:37 PM
Hi guys im a new member here.I have project 64 2.1 and i want ask something!!!

i have goldeneye 007 europe , but do not run very good,in some levels goldeneye is slower,i fix the problem in the goldeneye settings

i set the Vi Refresh Rate to - 1850 and AI Count Per Byte to 600....

the golden eye after that run better and more correctly

this settings may burn my graphic card or destroy my software and hardware system my PC?

6th November 2016, 05:06 PM
You might want to take a stab at the 2.3 build instead of 2.1.....