PDA

View Full Version : 4K support or manual resolution support

FoldupKibbles26
23rd May 2013, 04:57 AM
4K resolution should be supported because it won't be long, in terms of technology, until it becomes the standard. I would also suggest adding a way to manually type in the resolution you want, much like pcsx2, to not only support those strange non-standard resolutions, but also to allow future resolutions to be supported if development on this project were to ever stop.

Zera
23rd May 2013, 07:11 AM
4K resolution should be supported because it won't be long, in terms of technology, until it becomes the standard.
It actually will be pretty long until it does.

squall_leonhart
23rd May 2013, 11:40 AM
4K resolution should be supported because it won't be long, in terms of technology, until it becomes the standard. I would also suggest adding a way to manually type in the resolution you want, much like pcsx2, to not only support those strange non-standard resolutions, but also to allow future resolutions to be supported if development on this project were to ever stop.

Sir, it may dismay you to learn that you are an idiot.

No current graphics hardware supports 4K output
and when it does, it will just work.

Hero
23rd May 2013, 04:08 PM
Here you go.

http://imageshack.us/a/img690/2081/4kpatch.png

Zilmar, feel free to commit this at your leisure.

the_randomizer
23rd May 2013, 05:33 PM

That's the best joke I've ever heard :D

Lithium
24th May 2013, 01:59 AM
Why not 8k support? :rolleyes:

hehehehehe

HatCat
24th May 2013, 02:12 AM
Yeah, you need 8K to allocate SP memory to RAM.
Half of it the data memory, the other half the instruction memory.

Either that or just turn on Use fat bitch objects under "Frame buffer emulation" settings.

FoldupKibbles26
24th May 2013, 05:44 AM
Sir, it may dismay you to learn that you are an idiot.

No current graphics hardware supports 4K output
and when it does, it will just work.

Off the top of my head I know that the 680/690/titan and 7990 video cards all support 4k output. Not sure what you mean by it will just work. Yes, it will scale 1080p to 4k, but that's not the same as being rendered at 4k anymore than my fullscreening a dvd on my computer makes it a bluray movie.

Why am I even replying to you? Add something productive to the conversation. Every time I've seen you in a thread you've just been a dick.

mudlord_
24th May 2013, 11:08 AM
Again, why is 4k relevant?

HatCat
24th May 2013, 04:24 PM
We already asked why 2k.

If we do a y4k WE WILL ALL DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Zombie invasions will spur up across the continents!
The sun will burn out!
And uhh the zombies will come up with their own calendar based on the Gregorian calendar, and when it ends we all die for sure.

squall_leonhart
24th May 2013, 05:01 PM
Off the top of my head I know that the 680/690/titan and 7990 video cards all support 4k output. Not sure what you mean by it will just work. Yes, it will scale 1080p to 4k, but that's not the same as being rendered at 4k anymore than my fullscreening a dvd on my computer makes it a bluray movie.

Why am I even replying to you? Add something productive to the conversation. Every time I've seen you in a thread you've just been a dick.

Yes, and no.

They support spanning multiple displays to a veritical resolution of over 4k

however, they do not support outputting to a single 4k screen.

DisplayPort and DVI are restricted to 2560x1600 on a single panel

FoldupKibbles26
24th May 2013, 08:33 PM
Yes, and no.

They support spanning multiple displays to a veritical resolution of over 4k

however, they do not support outputting to a single 4k screen.

DisplayPort and DVI are restricted to 2560x1600 on a single panel

Again you are mistaken. I'll omit discussing DisplayPort, but both DVI and HDMI support 4k to a single panel. The maximum resolution you're quoting is at a 60hz frame rate. To allow backwards compatibility they drop the frame rate for 4k to ~30.

PcPer does frame rating testing, here's a link to them hooking up that graphics card that doesn't exist, because I'm an idiot, to a single 4k screen that it won't be able to display to pcper.com/news/General-Tech/SEIKI-SE50UY04-50-4K-3840x2160-TV-Unboxing-and-Preview

squall_leonhart
25th May 2013, 07:12 AM
You are restricting the color space and introducing huge synchonisation latencies by trying to run games in a 30hz display mode.

theres a reason gamers want 120hz displays.....

Mush Man
25th May 2013, 07:17 AM
On NVidia cards you can create custom resolutions from within the NVidia Control Panel. These resolutions will display in Glide64's fullscreen resolution drop-down menu. If you have an NVidia card, this should do fine. It may be possible to do this with AMD and Intel chipsets via another method.

That said, I do think it would be valuable to implement a feature where a user can specify particular window and fullscreen resolutions from within Project 64.

dsx_
25th May 2013, 08:10 AM
You are restricting the color space and introducing huge synchonisation latencies by trying to run games in a 30hz display mode.

whats the reason?

squall_leonhart
25th May 2013, 08:19 AM
running an lcd at 30hz causes blurring and increases the frame latency enough to cause 2 frames worth of input lag.

FoldupKibbles26
25th May 2013, 08:45 AM

Assuming this is true, which I don't think it is, it's beyond any point I was making.

You could do with some humility. "Sorry I called you an idiot, you're right, there are a handful of graphics cards that can output to 4k, and I was wrong again when I said it can't be output to a single display. I understand that I don't know everything, including how to spell 'synchronization'.".

Seriously kid, if you're going to call someone an idiot, at least check to see if you're right before posting. You're on the internet, it's serious business in here.

dsx_
25th May 2013, 09:10 AM
running an lcd at 30hz causes blurring and increases the frame latency enough to cause 2 frames worth of input lag.

so does that mean 120Hz has less input lag? 60Hz always seems fine to me though

FoldupKibbles26
25th May 2013, 09:12 AM
On NVidia cards you can create custom resolutions from within the NVidia Control Panel. These resolutions will display in Glide64's fullscreen resolution drop-down menu. If you have an NVidia card, this should do fine. It may be possible to do this with AMD and Intel chipsets via another method.

That said, I do think it would be valuable to implement a feature where a user can specify particular window and fullscreen resolutions from within Project 64.

Thanks, I don't have my hands on an Nvidia card that will output 4k, and I don't see the manual entry on my 7990. Even if I did I don't have access to a 4k display I can connect it to to test that, but it's nice to know that the render settings are taken from the card itself.

squall_leonhart
25th May 2013, 12:26 PM
Assuming this is true, which I don't think it is, it's beyond any point I was making.

You could do with some humility. "Sorry I called you an idiot, you're right, there are a handful of graphics cards that can output to 4k, and I was wrong again when I said it can't be output to a single display. I understand that I don't know everything, including how to spell 'synchronization'.".

Seriously kid, if you're going to call someone an idiot, at least check to see if you're right before posting. You're on the internet, it's serious business in here.

http://www.myfacewhen.net/uploads/4286-kill-yourself.jpg

squall_leonhart
25th May 2013, 12:30 PM
so does that mean 120Hz has less input lag? 60Hz always seems fine to me though

you can barely feel input lag at 16.6ms (60hz), alas the way vsynching a 60fps frame rate to a 60hz monitor works is always going to be 1 frame behind (and latency is more like 22ms) (but capping the fps just under v-frequency does help somehow)

120hz monitors swap in new frames at 8.3ms intervals and input lag is almost never perceived by anyone.

Jenraux
3rd June 2013, 11:28 AM
You don't really want to lower the refresh rate below 60hz, as it will appear as though the game is not running at 60FPS, and you'll also get tearing unless you turn V-sync on. It can also create a really blurry image that's hard on the eyes, depending on your display.

The difference between 60hz and 120hz isn't really noticeable, eventually we'll all be using 120hz just through progression of technology, but until they're commonplace, there isn't really any point in upgrading, especially for PJ64, when the emulator doesn't even show more than 60FPS, which means a 120hz monitor will just show the same frame twice.

p_025
16th June 2013, 09:45 AM
30Hz is really quite painful to play on. You're better off waiting for a display standard that can support the resolution at 60+Hz.