PDA

View Full Version : Model Packs

phly95
27th May 2013, 10:31 PM
This project is great, and I like that you are going with Glide now, but I think that no matter what textures are added, you can't make it look like a full modern game worthy of being played in a home theater, but I think that you can fix this.

Because Tridef 3D only works with DirectX 9+ so it would be nice if you can use dx 9-11.

You could add model packs, animation smoothing (60 fps for 20 fps game without fast forwarding) and a reflection channel plus post processing effects, and maybe a audio replacement plugin, this plugin would allow n64 games to look like games for PS3 or Xbox 360. I would like model packs to be highest priority over the other perks.

Graphics are getting better and better, causing old games to lose appeal, but if this plugin can change the way a game looks completely, the emulator won't be just for people with nostalgia, but many generations of people just looking for good games to play.

How this could work is that the user could click on a model, polygon or texture, and set it to replace with a file from 3D Studio or Blender after making the 3D model in a separate program. I'm not sure if the model will have to be placed right in the game file or if it can run just in the video plugin, but however it is done, it would look amazing.

Thank you for all your current work, and I would love to see this amazing feature sometime.

HatCat
27th May 2013, 10:47 PM
Heh. Lemmy's Nemu64 Direct3D8 let you export VRML models for programs like 3d Studio Max, but importing models into the game as interactively as you proposed would be more of a job for a high-level gfx plugin.

*hides his fat ass*

Zera
28th May 2013, 01:15 AM
You could add model packs, animation smoothing (60 fps for 20 fps game without fast forwarding) and a reflection channel plus post processing effects, and maybe a audio replacement plugin, this plugin would allow n64 games to look like games for PS3 or Xbox 360. I would like model packs to be highest priority over the other perks.
You're basically asking for a remake, which no one around here has the resources to make. Plus, attempting anything of the sort will only get you a C&D letter.

Graphics are getting better and better, causing old games to lose appeal, but if this plugin can change the way a game looks completely, the emulator won't be just for people with nostalgia, but many generations of people just looking for good games to play.
Old games will never lose their appeal as long as gameplay is solid. Sites like GOG.com being highly successful prove that much.

phly95
2nd June 2013, 03:17 PM
I don't think that model packs would be illegal

1. Yes, it will look like a remake, but you are only putting in models that are made from scratch and the base game code and scripts would not be inside the model pack, but in the ROM therefore nothing illegal.

2. There are quite a few clones of games that are almost exactly the same as the original, but different graphics and base code, take Lin-City NG for example.

3. There are already texture packs, I don't see how this would be any different except that it looks a lot better

4. Super Mario Crossover never got any C&D letter, even though it IS using copyrighted material from Nintendo

phly95
2nd June 2013, 03:23 PM
For the problem with the level of the graphics plugin, Glide64 (the plugin now included with PJ64) already is a high-level one.

The main problem addressed is that the game uses tris, not models.
I've got an idea though. Instead of placing a texture onto a tri, it can load a model in its place, so for one tri on say, link's shield it is supposed to load a certain texture, it can load a model in its place and delete the rest of the tris on links shield that aren't being used (or put a fully transparent texture on top of the extra tris) so that you don't have to make a model for each tri.