PDA

View Full Version : 64 bit version

silverhawk_184
29th December 2008, 09:03 PM
hi,
wouldn't it be a good idea to make a 64 bit version of project64 so it would be more efficient to run nativity, instead of having windows x64 emulate a 32 bit os to run the program that emulates a 64 bit os.

EDIT: ok, i know someone is going to bash me and say that windows x64 doesn't actually emulate a 32 bit os, but you know what i mean, it replicates it.

squall_leonhart
29th December 2008, 10:25 PM
Are you going to maintain it?

didn't think so.

RooZ
7th January 2009, 10:19 AM
Part of me is thinking... "Project 64" "Nintendo 64" "64-bit". I would be good to have a 64-bit version but obviously if no one cares to maintain it, it's not going to happen.

squall_leonhart
7th January 2009, 12:27 PM
its a 64bit processor that communicates over twin 32bit interconnects, atleast thats what i read on the hardware design.

Mikonokia
7th January 2009, 07:37 PM
And it has much work to do it but zilmar and jabo wnant to finish this project and the next thing well they will decide

madprofessor
7th January 2009, 10:52 PM
I guess you can also try mupen64plus version1.5 64x version with ubuntu64

Thomas
5th February 2009, 08:43 PM
I asked a similar thing on the old forum some time ago on the old forum and Zilmar kindly answered it in quite some detail. I don't recall his exact answer but it was something along the lines of that most of the emulation would not gain anything from moving to native 64bit and what little would be gains would be on aspects of the emulation that even on relatively slow computers are already running at more than adequate speed. I think him or it could have possibly another went on to explain that it would also be a radical rewrite so the work involved would be great with no real gains. But don't quite me as it was some time ago.

As Squall Leonhart said the N64 is a 64bit CPU but does have a 32bit bus and more over the Reality Co-Processor actually calculated integers to only 8bit. Where as a standard X86 CPU already has a 32bit bus, 64bit FPU and 32bit IPU with a extended mode to run 64bit integers. However I believe they offload a lot of the work to the modern SIMD extensions anyhow.

HatCat
3rd October 2015, 10:11 PM
/nick Slowpoke

o hay guyz!

what's going on in dis threa--

Are you going to maintain it?

didn't think so.

orly?

I asked a similar thing on the old forum some time ago on the old forum and Zilmar kindly answered it in quite some detail. I don't recall his exact answer but it was something along the lines of that most of the emulation would not gain anything from moving to native 64bit and what little would be gains would be on aspects of the emulation that even on relatively slow computers are already running at more than adequate speed.

Yeah, I think so.

Though I think it's nice to have working anyway. Not so many gains for the interpreter, but no losses either. Especially for portability.

DaMan69
4th October 2015, 08:24 AM
http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt340/chazzyclaws/thread_necromancer.png

HatCat
4th October 2015, 10:16 PM
yusssssssssssssss1!@!!

That looks fun can I play

LOL, wouldn't it be funny if I deleted my post and made it look like you were the one who bumped the thread and not me? :D

ExtremeDude2
5th October 2015, 12:56 AM
do et

DaMan69
5th October 2015, 04:51 AM
Is necromancy illegal here? I don't want to go to jail.
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac358/The_Zink/Oblivion2009-12-1216-19-58-92.jpg