PDA

View Full Version : Creating Hi-Res Texture Packs?

enigs
18th January 2009, 02:49 AM
I apologize if this is against Forum rules, but I've searched the internet high and low and I cannot find a simple, straight-forward answer to this question:

How do I go about CREATING Texture Packs? After viewing some leaked footage of an abandoned Goldeneye port for XBOX Live ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM_iLkIJ9Yg

... it really lights a fire under me to give Goldeneye and Perfect Dark a makeover. I would even use the footage above as an inspiration in terms of design for GE.

So, I guess the issue is, I'd like someone that either can take the graphics I make and turn them into a texture pack, or point me in the right direction so I can do it myself.

Again, my apologies if this goes against any rules ... just trying to create something cool that I think we all want to see.

Thanks in advance!

HatCat
18th January 2009, 04:35 AM
I'm willing to put time into that part, but if you can learn how to yourself that's great.

In either case we need to know which plug-in you want the retexture to be available primarily on. A simple question: Would you donate to Project64?

enigs
18th January 2009, 04:51 AM
I'm willing to put time into that part, but if you can learn how to yourself that's great.

In either case we need to know which plug-in you want the retexture to be available primarily on. A simple question: Would you donate to Project64?

I'd like to think I have a fairly high level of comprehension when it comes to anything technical and I hate making people do work if it's not necessary. Never programmed anything high-level but I made some fairly advanced stuff in QBasic and the graphics engines that were coded for it.

I'd be using Project64 and Jabo's plugins, I'd assume. I recently put Boot Camp on my Macbook and PJ64 runs like a dream in Windows XP on here, so I've been re-visiting alot of my old games. So I could definitely see myself donating to PJ64, regardless. Just need to save up a bit more, still getting myself out of the red personally.

So, I guess, to summarize, if I get detailed instructions, I can probably do it all myself, especially if all I have to do is extract files and replace them with better ones.

Either way I will be donating to PJ64 in the near future. :D

enigs
18th January 2009, 04:54 AM
Someone over at Rare Witch pointed me over to an Emutalk forum which seems to have answered my questions ...

I'll report back here if/when I have luck replacing them. :)

enigs
19th January 2009, 03:07 AM
After d/ling a Super Mario 64 texture pack, and being amazed at how jaw-dropping it makes the game look, I figured out how simple it is to both dump textures and re-load them into the game. I had no idea it was as simple as taking images from one folder, modifying them, and dropping them in another.

I'll report back with my first successful test ... I just did a run-through of Carrington Villa, so here comes the "fun" part ...

froggyman
27th January 2009, 01:21 AM
how did you dump the textures and what plugin are you using?

I am using Aristotles's Video Plugin 6.1.8 and i thought all you had to do was go under the texture... tab and check dump to file. When i do this nothing happens. Any comments on what i am doing wrong?

HatCat
27th January 2009, 01:31 AM
Try creating textures on screen that weren't into TMEM before you had the option checked. Output is in "$emulator\PLUGIN\texture_dump".

froggyman
27th January 2009, 09:15 PM
Sorry if this makes me seem like an idiot, but i am not really stupid, just when it comes to things dealing with common sense...

[QUOTE=Iconoclast;5613]Try creating textures on screen that weren't into TMEM before you had the option checked.[QUOTE]

What exactly do you mean by TMEM and with creating textures on screen? I know that there is a Full TMEM emulation button but yeah...
I am aware that the textures go under plugins under texture dump, I have dumped textures on other computers.

HatCat
28th January 2009, 12:35 AM
texture memory When they are on screen they should be dumped then.

They also must not have been on scree in the texture memory's reference storage before you turned the option on. You must copy them to use used TMEM reference section by creating them by going into an area that actually uses them.

full tmem option is an extension that won't really matter

gitech001
28th January 2009, 10:21 PM
I find that pressing "F5" then "F7" after turning on "dump textures to files" ensures that every texture on screen will be dumped.

This creates a save state and then reloads it, clearing and reloading all the textures (texture memory?).

You should use TMEM emulation for your whole pack. I am not sure which one, I do not really understand the difference between "TMEM emulation" and "Full TMEM emulation". Icono, can you clear this up for me and which one should be checked?

Later,
Jay

HatCat
28th January 2009, 11:42 PM
The setting "TMEM Emulation" on the Current Game Options tab is the main force. If this setting is neither checked nor unchecked--but checked with a grayed box--the setting for the default option "Full TMEM Emulation" under tab Texture Enhancements will be used. Therefore they are essentially the same except the INI can force it. In mudlord's changes the later was enabled while it was originally disabled by Rice for extra simulation purposes.

In most N64 images is a section called "texture memory". This is a pixelmaps reference page of either 32 bits or 16 bits storage per pixel, but compression is possible. My educated guess is that this setting levels out to what extent the reference read-and-copy functions will execute. There are cases in which rendering-to-texture and other simulations are interfered by "Full TMEM Emulation" and some parts of games that work better with this more-fully emulated.

In few games does this make a difference actually, so Rice may have disabled it for efficiency to simulate while mudlord reversed this religiously. Therefore for Rice's original plugin (seeing as mudlord's changes break some parts of games formerly fixed in 6.1.0--And I don't mean 6.1.1. ) you may keep it off for efficiency and some fixes that appear accurate, but no other N64 RDP I know of simply partially emulates this. That's probably why Glide64 has a support problem with loading textures dumped consistently with this setting either on or off.