PDA

View Full Version : High resolution audio replacements?

james_uk
18th January 2009, 09:03 AM
Hello there
Given how it's possible to replace textures on the fly with 1.7 beta, would it be possible to replace sound effects on the fly in a similar manner to how the texture replacer does? I'm sure it'd benefit games which have low quality sounds.

HatCat
18th January 2009, 05:05 PM
It's much more difficult to convert between audio engineered algorithms, but I don't know any more than that. EmuTalk has answered this to be more vector-complex.

There is described chance of this with an HLE plugin--which is not Jabo's DirectSound plugin.

squall_leonhart
18th January 2009, 08:09 PM
Impractical, so not likely.

Shaun_of_Light
17th February 2009, 02:24 AM
Would have been nice if it were possible.

Jerad Gray
19th February 2009, 04:10 AM
Oh its defiantly possible, especially sense I'm sure the audio plugin's must see the name of the sound at least once, all it really comes down to is that you would have to make it mute the game sounds and play a wav file whenever a specific sound effect was called. Nevertheless, I must agree with Squall, t is rather impractical, as many people will not see much reason to want to replace sounds, or have the time, but you never know, anything can be done with enough time and determination.

Hubert
26th March 2009, 03:17 PM
Its does seem like a lot of hassle compared to texture replacement but I would love to see something like this. I don't know what it is with the N64 but it sounds like it has some awful MIDI device built in - some games have the same instrument samples - Zelda and Star Fox use the same oboe and clarinet sounds and I've always thought they sound horrendous.
I don't know much about the n64 hardware - does it's sound chip and a GM bank built in or something? If it does, can a plugin be made so it uses soundfonts instead?