PDA

View Full Version : config suggestions

ProjectKev
18th January 2009, 04:33 PM
Hello, this is my first post so please be kind because I'm about to ask what I know is a question that's probably been answered here before. I did a quick search of the forums and couldn't find my answer, so I'm asking, What is a good configuration to get games to run like they're at 60fps? The N64 had some great games but most of 'em ran in slo-mo, in particular, JFG was an awesome game but I'm sure most couldn't get past the choppy framerate. I want to play through this game again but I would love to play it with a sharp responsive tempo. Any help would be most appreciated.

HatCat
18th January 2009, 05:01 PM
The answer must take into account the game, for every game is fastest--or with greatest instability--with one respected plug-in in each and different memory settings.

How much system memory do you have?
You're supplied with what graphics card?
What's your processor?

ProjectKev
18th January 2009, 05:11 PM
Right now I'm just into getting JFG running awesome. Let's see, for hardware, I got 4 gigs of ram, an ATI Radeon HD 3200, and an AMD 64 Turion X2 Ultra mobile technology ZM-80 / 2.1 GHz. I've got a dual boot running 32 and 64 bit Vista.

HatCat
18th January 2009, 05:24 PM
On a system like that JFG should run at a full 60 VI/s because even on my system it does. Did you change any settings used by Project64 for this game? Not sure why else it would be slow honestly...

ProjectKev
18th January 2009, 05:34 PM
Well, yeah, Project 64 is running @ 60fps, but that's not the problem. Most N64 games apparently were coded to run @ kind of a slow tempo (like how JFG looks like it's running in slo-mo even though Project 64 is running at 60fps). I know I can change the counter factor to "1" in the rom's settings to speed each game up a little bit but I was hoping to get a little more.

HatCat
18th January 2009, 06:02 PM
Oh I think I see then. The game runs at 60 vertical interrupts per second (matrix updating of pixels according to the frame), but the internal frame rate (FPS) which for some reason was used to label VI/s emulated rate in the 1.6 version is what you want as faster.

Since the FPS is the internal game speed this is all up to how the game is designed, but indeed changing the counter factor to one will affect in result. There is not much else to do in configuration regards. As long as you're using the NTSC version of a game

Perhaps the answer to this request would be a more advanced implementation of counter factor modifiers.

ProjectKev
18th January 2009, 06:07 PM
Well then, is there a way to lock Project 64 @ a higher fps, like say 75 or 80. That might help. At any rate, thanks for taking the time to respond.

HatCat
18th January 2009, 07:02 PM
This level of internal change is out of the question. Probably the best thing would be a more advanced configuration system on counter factor support that in result would multiply the internal speed for the game's design?

As long as the VI/s is at 60 and you are using Jet Force Gemini (U) or Star Twins (J) and not the PAL Jet Force Gemini (E) that's it.

ProjectKev
18th January 2009, 07:42 PM
Alright, well maybe in the future something like that will be implemented. Thanks.

squall_leonhart
18th January 2009, 08:07 PM
It already is. its called VI Refresh.

ProjectKev
19th January 2009, 01:21 PM
Where's it located? I can't find it.

ProjectKev
19th January 2009, 01:26 PM
This level of internal change is out of the question. Probably the best thing would be a more advanced configuration system on counter factor support that in result would multiply the internal speed for the game's design?

As long as the VI/s is at 60 and you are using Jet Force Gemini (U) or Star Twins (J) and not the PAL Jet Force Gemini (E) that's it.

About this, I'd like to give this a try. Who do I talk to?

HatCat
20th January 2009, 01:01 AM
Squall is referring to a modifier that has been added to the beta for Project64. It is not an FPS modifier, but it may do.

1964 did have a bit more detail in counter factor settings, so I can see there's no strict standard at least--there might be a chance zilmar could look into. If you have any questions they are for him.