PDA

View Full Version : PJ64 1.6 on Intel integrated graphics

plutoniumboy
28th January 2009, 02:16 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forum so I firstly wish to congratulate the developers on an awesome emulator and this excellent website. PJ64 is the best emulator out there by far!

When reading through the Help FAQ's section of the site I noticed that it had 'anything Intel' listed under graphics chipsets that PJ64 will run badly on.

I use PJ64 on both my laptop, which has Mobile Intel 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family (128MB, DirectX 9, Pixel shader 2.0), 512MB RAM & a Intel Pentium M 1.6GHZ processor, and also on my desktop machine, which runs a GeForce 8600GTS, 2GB RAM with an Intel Core2 Quad CPU, and I don't really notice too much of a difference in gaming experience or how the games look/run/feel on the two different systems. This surprised me having read a bit of stuff over the net suggesting that integrated graphics aren't very good for running the emulator.

I use Jabo's D3D8 1.6 graphics plugin for all the games I play and I notice that my laptop integrated graphics allows for no full-scene antialiasing (as oppossed to 8x on the 8600GTS) and anisotropic filtering is limited to 4x on the laptop (as opposed to 16x on the 8600GTS). So I guess the games do perform better technically on the superior graphics card but the difference isn't as hugely noticeble as I would've expected given the difference in performance capabilities of both machines. I figure PJ64 must be coded exceptionally well to allow for decent performance on a relatively weak laptop.

I mainly play arcade racing games like Ridge Racer 64, the Rush series & Mario Kart, and sports games like 1080 Snowboarding, and I haven't noticed any slow-downs or my CPU maxing out on the laptop.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else out there has had similar positive results running PJ64 on Intel integrated graphics or if anyone more technically knowledgeable than myself may be able to explain why this might be so... I'm a little confused.

Cheers.

Full Laptop Specs: Toshiba Tecra A3 (early 2005); Intel Pentium M 1.60GHZ Processor; 512MB RAM; MS Windows XP Professional SP3; Mobile Intel 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family. Echo Indigo DJ 24-Bit PCMCIA Soundcard.

Mdkcheatz
28th January 2009, 02:29 PM
I have intel extreme graphics and have little issue. that's not really my area of expertise (im sure Squally boy will chew me out somehow), but I'm guessing the main issue with the intel integrated graphics cards is as how you have explain them. They maybe small issue, but are probably issues which would take way too long to correct, deeming it not worth the time.

PJ64 is specifically designed to runs on Windows XP with a minimum of 1GB RAM. If you have less than that and it still runs normally, for the most part, then its probably because I think Zilmar originally started it out under Windows 2000 maybe.

But I would agree that PJ64 works fairly well on many systems. I believe the biggest issues come from Windows Vista because of the user rights issues, blah blah. v1. beta has more support for vista but is still based on XP since most users still run XP i believe. No matter. Im pleased to hear this kind of feedback for a change.

froggyman
28th January 2009, 10:09 PM
I am able to run PJ 64 on computer with intel intergrated graphics with 256mb graphics memoryand it is able to run Aristotles plugin with Hi-Res textures just fine and not glichy at all.

HatCat
28th January 2009, 11:50 PM
There are known issues on most Intel cards, but recently it looks like after Smiff's improbable time of noting this they've become an option. By all means if you don't see any known issues internal to the games I think you're fine.

Obviously the only named cards supported by Project64 fall under the NVIDIA GeForce and ATI Radeon brands, but if your games run at full speed with no Direct3D issues you sound all set. Anti-aliasing and other features that add crap to N64 rendering to look like they were designed to run on Windows or something are for appearances and other smoothness--if your card doesn't allow them it's no surprise it isn't the first certainly.

plutoniumboy
29th January 2009, 05:41 PM
Thanks for your replies so far guys. Lots of interesting info.

I might investigate the Aristotles plugin that froggyman mentions in his post... just to experiment and see what happens (or if I can run it ok) with only 128MB graphics memory that I have.

I found Iconoclast's point about the anit-aliasing etc interesting, I didn't realise that these sort of attributes were only a minor factor in determining the overall look of the graphics - good to know if you don't have a great video card.

Just some feedback for Mdkcheatz regarding your point about Vista... my desktop runs PJ64 using Vista and the sound is definitely more scratchy using it with Jabo's Direct Sound 1.6 compared to XP. The other thing I notice is PJ64 seems less stable on Vista than it does on XP when toggling between windowed and full-screen mode.

Mdkcheatz
29th January 2009, 06:11 PM
anytime illegalsubstanceboy!

Yes those issues regarding vista sounds like can be a real bugger for vista users. But personally I feel vista support should end now. Reason: because although was not as bad as people claimed, mainly because many of its resources were useless to the average user, I'm sure most PJ64 users fall under that same category. Instead, more support should go to the new Windows 7 because I hear from a few sources that Microsoft actually put some time into making it an all round good operating system. But since it's not glogablly owned yet, I doubt there will be any support for it quite right now.

zilmar
30th January 2009, 11:41 AM
I think Zilmar originally started it out under Windows 2000 maybe.

When I started pj64 it was 233 mhz computer running windows 98

Mdkcheatz
30th January 2009, 10:43 PM
Oh Thanks I was wondering!

HatCat
30th January 2009, 10:56 PM
I rather miss Windows 98.

froggyman
31st January 2009, 02:51 PM
Thanks for your replies so far guys. Lots of interesting info.

I might investigate the Aristotles plugin that froggyman mentions in his post... just to experiment and see what happens (or if I can run it ok) with only 128MB graphics memory that I have.

If you want to know where to get the aristotles plugin and a start on hi-res texture packages check out this thread: http://forum.pj64-emu.com/showthread.php?t=448

squall_leonhart
4th February 2009, 08:51 PM
the GMA 900 (910/915) have 4 Vertex shaders and 0 Pixel shader 2.0 shaders (PS2.0 is emulated), No TnL(Emulated), It is missing several pixel formats as well.

Alpha Dog
5th February 2009, 09:50 AM
I have integrated Intel graphics as well (915 series) and I also haven't had any issues with it.

squall_leonhart
5th February 2009, 06:37 PM
you aren't playing games that would see a problem.

Alpha Dog
5th February 2009, 09:23 PM
What games should I play then?

squall_leonhart
5th February 2009, 10:21 PM
Pokemon Snap, Zelda64, Conkers bad fur day.

blake0812
1st January 2011, 07:44 PM
I have played Zelda64 on my laptop, and I have the Intel chipset thing. I play it, no problems, so I don't see what the problem is.

squall_leonhart
1st January 2011, 08:04 PM
being blind or ignorantly stupid causes these types of hallucinations.

Experiment #150
1st January 2011, 09:30 PM
heh heh :D

HatCat
2nd January 2011, 04:01 AM
being blind or ignorantly stupid causes these types of hallucinations.

new quote.

mraics67
19th January 2011, 12:03 AM
hello can enybody helpas: so I installed project64_1.6 version in my
laptop so have a (hp pavilion: the windows 7 ultimate 32bit intel core
2duo cpu T7300 @ 2.00GHz) the problem is mouse is useless can this fixed ???
enyone ?? help??

19th January 2011, 12:52 AM
Do not spam post the problem in multiple sections.

HatCat
19th January 2011, 02:24 AM
in other words, RTFM.