PDA

View Full Version : Xinput

Thomas
5th February 2009, 08:59 PM
Sorry been away for quite some time now so I am a little behind. I know this was talked about on the old forum but did Xinput ever get implemented?

squall_leonhart
5th February 2009, 10:23 PM
i spit on that piss weak api.

Thomas
6th February 2009, 08:48 AM
May be true but its perfect for PJ64 any many other emulation. Simple to boot so relatively easy to implement. At the moment I have to use a old N-Rage plugin that's really temperamental. Or Xinput that works great but its a right pain to remap it. I cant use XBCD as it does not work on any of my computers or with any of my Xbox controllers.

squall_leonhart
6th February 2009, 09:05 PM
Its not perfect for anything. Its crap. Supporting Xinput, is allowing MSFT to get away with not perfecting the Dinput side of things.

XBCD supports Xinput via a wrapper which wraps it to Dinput functions. Quite effective imo.

Thomas
7th February 2009, 08:51 AM
Problem is XBCD does not work on all computers or with all XBOX pads.

squall_leonhart
7th February 2009, 01:53 PM
Xbcd works on all computers, only and yes i dare say is IDIOTS, have issues with it now.

And it supports all Xbox pads which are built to work on an xbox. if it doesn't work on an xbox it won't work on xbcd.

bradsh
28th June 2009, 04:00 AM
I registered just to make this post:

It is absolutely silly to disregard Xinput out of some grudge against Microsoft. When you plug in the 360 controller in Windows Vista or Windows 7, it AUTOMATICALLY INSTALLS XINPUT. Now I know XBCD is available and I used to be pretty active over there as well. I even provided an algorithm to the redcl0ud (the original developer of XBCD) to extend the mapping area from a circle (physical limit of values) to a square (software limit of values) back in the day.

But the simple fact is that when you plug in a 360 controller, it is installed with default drivers which work with modern games (essentially any "Games for Windows" game). This means that if you want to play a Games for Windows game, YOU NEED XINPUT. PERIOD. Which means if you want to switch from playing a Games for Windows game to playing a game under PJ64, you will need to switch DRIVERS. That is absolutely ridiculous given how easy it would be to implement.

Directinput is great, XBCD is great, but surely you have noticed that basically all new PC games use Xinput to seamlessly switch to Xbox Controllers, and many new games even omit DirectInput. If PJ64 1.7 is really going to be released in 2010, a lack of Xinput support would be a glaring omission next to the bevy of Games for Windows games. Cry all you want about directinput, it won't change reality.

Stewie
28th June 2009, 07:19 AM
There no need to use XBCD.

http://www.katch.ne.jp/~morii/driver/xi/index.html
Simply download extract for the appropriate Windows Version and right click the inf file and select install then restart.

this is not a driver replacement, it just adds another driver that should not show up in device manager normally. Its just adds DirectInput Force Feedback support to the current driver from Microsoft, so installing it would appear like it did nothing.

Once Set up, you can use Xinput GameForWindows and use Epsxe/n64 without switching drivers.
Also works with Need for Speed that have no xinput support.

mudlord/RED
28th June 2009, 11:36 PM

It is absolutely silly to disregard Xinput out of some grudge against Microsoft. When you plug in the 360 controller in Windows Vista or Windows 7, it AUTOMATICALLY INSTALLS XINPUT. Now I know XBCD is available and I used to be pretty active over there as well. I even provided an algorithm to the redcl0ud (the original developer of XBCD) to extend the mapping area from a circle (physical limit of values) to a square (software limit of values) back in the day.

But the simple fact is that when you plug in a 360 controller, it is installed with default drivers which work with modern games (essentially any "Games for Windows" game). This means that if you want to play a Games for Windows game, YOU NEED XINPUT. PERIOD. Which means if you want to switch from playing a Games for Windows game to playing a game under PJ64, you will need to switch DRIVERS. That is absolutely ridiculous given how easy it would be to implement.

Directinput is great, XBCD is great, but surely you have noticed that basically all new PC games use Xinput to seamlessly switch to Xbox Controllers, and many new games even omit DirectInput. If PJ64 1.7 is really going to be released in 2010, a lack of Xinput support would be a glaring omission next to the bevy of Games for Windows games. Cry all you want about directinput, it won't change reality.

1) Who cares about a Xbox controller?
2) Who cares about a Xbox360 controller?
3) Who cares about backwards compatibility

I expect debate from you on these points. You are saying, "hey, lets support Xinput and make everyone go to Vista/Win7?
And since you are making me so irritated, why don't I write a Xinput plugin to make you shut the fuck up? Oh wait, someone else already did that, so screw all of you.

And I piss on the atrocity known as Xinput, so people can go wank to something else like Aero Glass.

squall_leonhart
28th June 2009, 11:47 PM

It is absolutely silly to disregard Xinput out of some grudge against Microsoft. When you plug in the 360 controller in Windows Vista or Windows 7, it AUTOMATICALLY INSTALLS XINPUT.

No it doesn't. Xinput is part of DirectX and the operating system. it does however install a viral driver which on many occasions just doesn't work properly.

Now I know XBCD is available and I used to be pretty active over there as well. I even provided an algorithm to the redcl0ud (the original developer of XBCD) to extend the mapping area from a circle (physical limit of values) to a square (software limit of values) back in the day.

So you're the idiot that had him put that buggy code in that screws up controller dead zones.

No you don't. latest XBCD includes a preconfigured profile, for Xbox 360 controller emulator, which works for most Game for windows titles.

Who give a fuck about new? its only a worthwhile api where games will be ported from xbox to pc.

since i don't see an xbox port of pj64, then i really don't give a rats about an xinput plugin. If you want to be a bitch and play with your piss poor 360 controller with its even poorer dpad, then thats fine, use the modified nrage plugin.

as it is, Xinput is not even going to last with many studios now dropping it for raw controller access.

bradsh
1st July 2009, 10:50 PM
1) That's what I meant. Sorry for the misunderstanding. It installs the Xinput driver from the controller when you plug it in, but the support for the API is built into the OS.
2) I didn't give him any code, I gave him the math (just some basic trig) and a basic transform algorithm and I told him why it needed to be done. In Prince of Persia Sands of Time, and many other games, moving the stick diagonally resulted in ~.707 in both X & Y, which means the character would move slower diagonally than he would straight up/dn or left/right (+/- 1).
3) You're still missing the point. Dicking around with drivers is still a lot more hassle than simply supporting a modern input API.
4) I don't know how to respond to this. The Xbox 360 controller is the best controller ever made. You should know this if you are involved in XBCD, which you claim to be. The Xbox controller S was damned near perfect which is why we all went through the bother of soldering cables together in order to plug it into our PCs. The 360 controller is an improvement on the controller S, and it allows one to just plug it into a USB port on a PC and have it work (or buy a wireless receiver if you can't find the superior wired controller).

Mudlord:
1&2) People care because it is one of the best gamepads ever created. It is incredibly ergonomic, although I will admit the D-pad is kind of crappy. Regardless, its standardization has led to many more PC games properly supporting gamepads without all of the dicking around you used to have to do.
3) Who cares about backwards compatibility? What the hell are you talking about? You're on a board about emulating Nintendo 64 games!
Also, you seem to think that merely supporting Xinput is going to kill directinput support which is utterly silly.

I am not advocating replacing directinput or anything of the like, I'm advocating support for a popular controller and the API which is default for the default installed driver. No one wants to force you from your Windows 98 installation. You are free to continue living in the past and never playing new games. That's fine. But I would like to see easy support for a gamepad which is supported by many modern PC games so that I can easily switch between modern PC games and playing PJ64 emulated games. It seems silly to rely on a third party driver for such a widespread gamepad, when supporting it natively in the default plugin is purportedly so trivial.

squall_leonhart
1st July 2009, 11:45 PM
1) That's what I meant. Sorry for the misunderstanding. It installs the Xinput driver from the controller when you plug it in, but the support for the API is built into the OS.
2) I didn't give him any code, I gave him the math (just some basic trig) and a basic transform algorithm and I told him why it needed to be done. In Prince of Persia Sands of Time, and many other games, moving the stick diagonally resulted in ~.707 in both X & Y, which means the character would move slower diagonally than he would straight up/dn or left/right (+/- 1).
3) You're still missing the point. Dicking around with drivers is still a lot more hassle than simply supporting a modern input API.
4) I don't know how to respond to this. The Xbox 360 controller is the best controller ever made. You should know this if you are involved in XBCD, which you claim to be. The Xbox controller S was damned near perfect which is why we all went through the bother of soldering cables together in order to plug it into our PCs. The 360 controller is an improvement on the controller S, and it allows one to just plug it into a USB port on a PC and have it work (or buy a wireless receiver if you can't find the superior wired controller).

Mudlord:
1&2) People care because it is one of the best gamepads ever created. It is incredibly ergonomic, although I will admit the D-pad is kind of crappy. Regardless, its standardization has led to many more PC games properly supporting gamepads without all of the dicking around you used to have to do.
3) Who cares about backwards compatibility? What the hell are you talking about? You're on a board about emulating Nintendo 64 games!
Also, you seem to think that merely supporting Xinput is going to kill directinput support which is utterly silly.

I am not advocating replacing directinput or anything of the like, I'm advocating support for a popular controller and the API which is default for the default installed driver. No one wants to force you from your Windows 98 installation. You are free to continue living in the past and never playing new games. That's fine. But I would like to see easy support for a gamepad which is supported by many modern PC games so that I can easily switch between modern PC games and playing PJ64 emulated games. It seems silly to rely on a third party driver for such a widespread gamepad, when supporting it natively in the default plugin is purportedly so trivial.

The S-type was the best control ever made. the 360 controller is far poorer in comparison.

Stewie
2nd July 2009, 06:27 PM
i still believe the xbox 1 and 360 controllers were copied from the Dreamcast.
they use the same button layout ABXY. Dreamcast controller was awesome

p.s Xinput is already on the to-do list for pj64 1.7+, so you just have to wait till it comes out. (if your eager, write your own)

mudlord/RED
3rd July 2009, 02:59 AM
Who cares about backwards compatibility? What the hell are you talking about? You're on a board about emulating Nintendo 64 games!

So you are the retarded type that cares about mindless "upgrades" like Pissta and Shindows 7. :D

As I said, go tell someone who fucking cares. We don't care about you peddling your crap.

Now who's acting like a fucking dickhead and putting words into my mouth.

Yes, I don't play any recent games since they are all derivative trash (Crysis for example, and yes, I tried it in 1600x1200, and its SHIT in terms of graphics. I want PROPER 256 pass SSAO you retard!!!!!). I use Linux and Windows XP based systems, you fucking tool.

And if you are so good, make your own damn plugin. I was thinking of doing such a thing, but why bother with idiots like yourself? And this is why I don't do any emulator shit no more. Its people like you that drain all the fun out of it.

So go tell some dev who gives a fuck about your overpriced controller. My Saitek controller is fine, thank you very fucking much. Now, as I said, go play DOA: Extreme Beach Volleyball and wank to your 360 controller there!!!!!

squall_leonhart
3rd July 2009, 04:07 PM
oh helllll.

Truth Unknown
4th July 2009, 04:36 AM
Now I'm not going to point, assume or force anyone to do a XInput plugin. I'm just going to state why it should be considered and how it should be implemented by a design point.

First thing to point out is that XInput is pretty much EAX for a game controller with poor driver support. This API is very very specific to Xbox 360 hardware and only should be used with it, not with a wrapper (as its pointless with the great DInput plugins).

So why? Well there is already large user base with these controllers and they are all the same layout (mostly in 3rd parties). And there is nothing unexpected from the hardware out side of specific variants for specific games (Music Genre basically). There is also the ease of use for the end user, no figuring out what is Button 1 and 10 or what is Axis 5 or RY. Still not firm reasons, but this is what you get out of an optional device that can go on unsupported by it's native means.

So if a Plug-in where to exist, how should it be implemented. Well first thing would be to implement support with all the functions of X-input: Input, Rumble, Player Awareness and add-ons like the Headset. Then associating all the features with the features of the Nintendo 64 via the controller interface. Input for the Input of the emulated controller, rumble for the rumble pack, the player awareness to match the connected controllers on the emulated console and the headset for the one shot voice device.

Now saying all this is the extremely easy part and it is worth as much to support the Xbox 360 Controller's native software interface. But this topic needed to be routed back on track and so I hope this has helped. And I hope no one takes things too far again about this subject.

Although, it would be nice to see a good plug-in, but I can live with the current state of Xbox 360 being used with a Nintendo 64 emulator.

mudlord/RED
4th July 2009, 09:35 PM
Excellent post Truth Unknown. :) Very well written and one with neutrality. :)

Maybe I am acting like a ogre, so I might go out and buy a controller, and have a crack at this....Who knows, it might be okay for my games like Midtown Madness...:p

Truth Unknown
4th July 2009, 09:52 PM
Just don't forget the Wireless Receiver if you go out of the way for a Wireless Controller.

pcvii
3rd August 2009, 03:41 PM
I'm a little disappointed in it. From what I've read it only works with 1 controller I think that's stupid. My PS2 adapter supports 4 controllers. And the Microsoft XBOX receiver only supports 1 wireless XBOX controller. Wow. Well worth the $60.

Well I can't talk from experience I haven't gotten a second XBOX controller to test it yet.

From what I've read XBCD doesn't support the wireless yet but i guess they might be testing it.

I think more API's you support the better?

Though I've tried with directplay on the wireless one and it worked for the most part. One issue I had was when the controller shut it's self off then N-RAGE's plugin wouldn't see it anymore when you turned it back on.

squall_leonhart
3rd August 2009, 04:41 PM
we have no testing of xbcd underway for wireless controls. nor have we any planned.

Truth Unknown
7th August 2009, 09:30 PM
I'm a little disappointed in it. From what I've read it only works with 1 controller I think that's stupid. My PS2 adapter supports 4 controllers. And the Microsoft XBOX receiver only supports 1 wireless XBOX controller. Wow. Well worth the $60.
I can assure you that it works up to 4 controllers like the Xbox 360, maybe more but I doubt that and I didn't find more than 4 controllers at the time I tried.

I think more API's you support the better?
It gives the user the choice, GPU plug-ins already cover Glide, OpenGL and DirectX. So supporting the other APIs, be it specific to Xbox hardware or Voodoo cards, is a big plus.

ivy777
4th September 2009, 04:51 AM
Hello There!

This is Ivy from Italy!
Im new in this site!

May be true but its perfect for PJ64 any many other emulation. Simple to boot so relatively easy to implement. At the moment I have to use a old N-Rage plugin that's really temperamental. Or Xinput that works great but its a right pain to remap it. I cant use XBCD as it does not work on any of my computers or with any of my Xbox controllers.

Thanks!...

Stewie
30th September 2009, 10:31 PM

Well I can't talk from experience I haven't gotten a second XBOX controller to test it yet.

Actually the Microsoft Xbox Reciever supports 4 wireless Joypads, i tried it myself, i do have a ps2-pc adapter aswell put its not really that good.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360wirelessgamingreceiver/

casperlt1
31st August 2012, 02:17 PM
I just logged into this once just to say that certain people on this forum are straight up assholes. No wonder nothing gets done since 2010 in here. Just browsing around looking for some friendly advice and damn...nothing but attitude. Maybe try being a little more mature and stop cussing people out anonymously online. They're just trying to get help like many others. And FYI mudlord/RED, it's people like YOU that ruin communities with your negativity. Sad...a grown man acting like that,lol, oh well.Feel sorry for people like you. Have a nice day.

squall_leonhart
31st August 2012, 05:27 PM
k 10charlim

TheRealM
22nd September 2012, 01:17 AM
rofl, i dont care.