PDA

View Full Version : Project64 1.6 Makes my computer Crash.

Slyverious
20th February 2009, 06:36 AM
Well as the title says, and dunno if they said this before, but this emulator makes my computer crash, sometimes i think it might be the graphic plugin Jabo'sD3D6 or even 8 cause i tried both, and well my computer crashes as in the screen goes black, and can't do anything just to unplug my comp and then plug it in again.

specs on it is: Win XP Pro SP3
Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT OC 512mb RAM
1GB RAM
Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.0GHz

if someone could help me i would appreciate it very much thanks.

if it helps more i have DirectX10 in this compy.

Mdkcheatz
20th February 2009, 06:51 AM
What rom are you trying to use? Can you try another?

Slyverious
20th February 2009, 07:57 AM
well i tried to use Zelda: OoT, but when i open the chest for the kokiri sword in that moment my comp crashes completly as i said there.

Super Mario 64, haven't got a problem yet, Majora's Mask, crashes around the middle area of Termina and Paper Mario hasn't got a problem, yet for now.

Mdkcheatz
20th February 2009, 08:21 AM
ARe you able to see an error message before the PC crashes? If so what does it say? Also, try updating your Direct 3D, here is a link for the FINAL version of Direct 3D: Direct X 10 (DEAD LINK - see below for good link) (http://rapidshare.com/files/175249019/DirectX_10_Final_for_XP_.rar) FINAL For Windows XP. (Don't ask where I got this link, just be happy I'm posting it for you ;))

Slyverious
20th February 2009, 08:38 AM
hehe thanks, thought the link is broken says "File cannot be found", and no i am not able to see a error before my computer crashes.

Mdkcheatz
20th February 2009, 09:04 AM
Click this link instead!

Direct 10 Final for Windows XP

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp358/Mdkcheatz/DirectX10.png (http://rs92.rapidshare.com/files/40604142/DirectX_10_For_XP.rar)
(Don't ask where I got this link, just be happy I'm posting it for you ;))

Let me know how this works for you:cool:

Slyverious
20th February 2009, 09:32 AM
well i kinda went to the microsoft page and downloaded directX 10, i checked up on my system and says i got directx 10 (4.9000) something like that i don't remember, but i will download this file just in case

Mdkcheatz
20th February 2009, 09:39 AM
Hmm, the where exactly did you find the link for it on the Microsoft web site? The latest version I can see available is: version 9.25.1476... and it requires validation :(... whereas my link is a direct installer for those who have issues with the direct installer! ;)

Slyverious
20th February 2009, 09:42 AM
well i did found it like first googled it DirectX 10, let me see

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/AboutGFW/Pages/DirectX10.aspx

that link showed me, then i followed it till the download page of microsoft. which then went by genuine thing, which i passed and letted me download it.

Mdkcheatz
20th February 2009, 09:48 AM
Yes, I got to the same page, but it does not appear to be a download to Dirext X 10, but instead is of Version 9.25.1476... please link me to the exact Microsoft location and please check the file version and confirm to me that it is indeed either Version 10 or Version 9.25.1476 as I am getting...... also, I guess for other people it is good that I am post the direct link to it in case they cannot pass validation :rolleyes:

Slyverious
20th February 2009, 09:57 AM
well it could be this one maybe?

http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/AboutGFW/Pages/DirectX10-a.aspx

there it says to "Download Now" so my guess that is. and i just finished downloading your link there so let's see how it goes.

ok i installed and i am checking right now on my DirectX Diagnostic tool window, says i have DirectX 10.0 (4.10.0000.18000) says i have that, what you say?

Mdkcheatz
20th February 2009, 10:00 AM
Not that one, try and get me the direct download link... that page has no direct download links, when i go through this page, it leads me to this page (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en). Is that the same page you get?

Slyverious
20th February 2009, 10:01 AM
yup same page i got, and i edited just now the previous post x3

Mdkcheatz
20th February 2009, 10:06 AM
Yea, that is not Direct X 10 :D

Slyverious
20th February 2009, 10:07 AM
yeah but is from the link you supplied me, the one from rapidshare, i downloaded the thing and installed and that how it showed me x3

Mdkcheatz
20th February 2009, 10:10 AM
No lol, I was talking about the link to microsoft, they do not seem to be providing Direct X 10... the rapidshar link i posted is of Direct X 10 indeed;)...

Slyverious
20th February 2009, 10:13 AM
oh x3, well like i said DirectX 10.0 (4.10.0000.18000) is what marks me i have now, after installing the thing from rapidshare that you provided me x3

so is good to go? do i need to find a higher? XD

Mdkcheatz
20th February 2009, 10:27 AM
No, you have the lastest copy, apparently not in release LMAO... but it's the final version ever to be released anyway.... since you have it though, please read and comment this thread here. (http://forum.pj64-emu.com/showthread.php?t=534) ;):)

Slyverious
20th February 2009, 10:30 AM
ok thought i heard final version is DirectX 10.1 but ok this should be enough really hehe
thanks for all i will keep commenting here if the crashing thing continues

alright i did the test run on Zelda OoT where i go get the kokiri sword, where supposedly crashes, and...it didn't! i am amazed. still is too soon to celebrate so i will keep testing other games as i download them and see if it happens again

Mdkcheatz
20th February 2009, 10:49 AM
NICE! for once I actually improved an issue;)

you heard right: Direct X 10 is the FINAL version! there will be no more vserions ever...:cool:

fridgey
20th February 2009, 12:05 PM
There's no microsoft link for DX10 for XP because it was only released for Vista. I believe the various XP installers are based on work by these guys (http://fallingleafsystems.com/).

you heard right: Direct X 10 is the FINAL version! there will be no more vserions ever...:cool:
What do you mean? They've already shown DX11, and there's a beta release available... whether or not anyone will be able to get any of it running on XP is another story of course, they ARE trying to convince (force) you to upgrade to Vista.

Mdkcheatz
20th February 2009, 12:10 PM
I was talking about for XP numskull:rolleyes: but thanks for the insight on what was going on here with why Microsoft had not released it for XP...

fridgey
20th February 2009, 10:17 PM
My point was how do you know this is the last one, officially directX 9 is the last one... it's just as likely they manage to hack through enough stuff to get DX11 junk working.

HatCat
20th February 2009, 11:50 PM
well i tried to use Zelda: OoT, but when i open the chest for the kokiri sword in that moment my comp crashes completly as i said there.

Super Mario 64, haven't got a problem yet, Majora's Mask, crashes around the middle area of Termina and Paper Mario hasn't got a problem, yet for now.

Were you in full screen mode? Is the game a validated dump? Is file Project64.rdb bad? It is more likely another timely process besides Project64 caused the crash because Project64 to such possibilities vaguely accesses your specific system.

It is also possible that emulation instabilities were inconsistent. They may have been fails in RSP co-processing, but if you went through the exact point in game again the crash would not happen.

But it is NOT possible comparitively that an external DirectX device modification installation, which Brandon resourced via this site http://www.p30warez.com/, is going to be the fix.

Mdkcheatz
21st February 2009, 01:57 AM
Were you in full screen mode? Is the game a validated dump? Is file Project64.rdb bad? It is more likely another timely process besides Project64 caused the crash because Project64 to such possibilities vaguely accesses your specific system.

I was thinking at first he should re download PJ64 and or find another ROM site...

It is also possible that emulation instabilities were inconsistent. They may have been fails in RSP co-processing, but if you went through the exact point in game again the crash would not happen.

You have a point, it could have been just a coincidence... but a highly rare one if that, considering that he try many times and finally upgraded the Direct X and then it worked...hmm... are you positive it did not help or was that you venting an assumption? (don't worry, I hold all responsibilities for assuming meesefl;))

But it is NOT possible comparitively that an external DirectX device modification installation, which Brandon resourced via this site http://www.p30warez.com/, is going to be the fix.

Sorry R.J.! I did not conjure a download link from that web site. But nice guess and thanks for this one, I'll add it to my collection of dark arts;).

HatCat
21st February 2009, 02:15 AM
I was thinking at first he should re download PJ64 and or find another ROM site...
And? Is there a problem with that, to stoop to something like a hacked DirectX?

You have a point, it could have been just a coincidence... but a highly rare one if that, considering that he try many times and finally upgraded the Direct X and then it worked...hmm... are you positive it did not help or was that you venting an assumption? (don't worry, I hold all responsibilities for assuming meesefl;))
Where do you read him saying he tried many times? Sounded to me like he only tried once

Sorry R.J.! I did not conjure a download link from that web site.
I was talking about resourcing numskull:rolleyes:, that at least means you took those screenshots in that thread you started about DirectX final from that warez site. I can even prove it, check your phpBB paramater for the IMG code. Pretty damned naive of you to not hide it if you ask me; anyone can track that info. removed on request

And as for whether you actually did in fact get the actual download from the same site as the screenshots I don't really care about that. That warez site requires you to register an account just to get the screenshots themselves, which is enough to suggest your help ain't trustworth--regardless of what you did or didn't pirate.

Mdkcheatz
21st February 2009, 03:04 AM
And? Is there a problem with that, to stoop to something like a hacked DirectX?

Actually sir I was agreeing with you. But feel like I'm out to get you if you must...:rolleyes:

Where do you read him saying he tried many times? Sounded to me like he only tried once

I think you should read ALL of his posts again my friend;).

I was talking about resourcing numskull:rolleyes:, that at least means you took those screenshots in that thread you started about DirectX final from that warez site. I can even prove it, check your phpBB paramater for the IMG code. Pretty damned naive of you to not hide it if you ask me; anyone can track that info. removed on request

And as for whether you actually did in fact get the actual download from the same site as the screenshots I don't really care about that. That warez site requires you to register an account just to get the screenshots themselves, which is enough to suggest your help ain't trustworth--regardless of what you did or didn't pirate.

Naw mate you have it all wrong, there is no proof of anything... Those images came from searching google images XD.... so I am no member of zat site you talk about.... secondly, the download link came about in the same way, by search rapidshare directly... thirdly, just as you aren;t bothered if i had gotten the download from the same site, I am in no rush to conceal where it came from nor how I got it, I was just commenting that I wasn't going to post it. People can feel free to find it through the properties if they so please....;)

Mdkcheatz
21st February 2009, 03:44 AM
ATTENTION: Please disregard everything I said about half way down this thread... I was talking out of my a** a bit, Iconoclast is right on this one, and I hold my hands in shame for this nonescense :(

Slyverious
21st February 2009, 08:35 AM
ok dudes, remember i said if the problem persisted i would post again? well guess what it came again, but this time in another point of the game of Zelda OoT, when i arrive at Hyrule's castle, i mean the point after the market, i was talking to the owl, then all suddenly ,same problem, my computer crash, no error read or anything.

then i went again to see if it was on that point, but no was in other, when i was about to go wake up Talon with the cuccoo, when the cuccoo hatched, there it crash again, my whole computer again. and no i am not using fullscreen i am using windowed 800x600. i read all about earlier, dunno what ya folks talking about, but dunno if i should re download it, and other rom site, well i use EmuParadise so.

HatCat
21st February 2009, 05:04 PM
Take screenshots of a couple things.

Right-click the game in the list of games installed to Project64 choose "Edit Game Settings..."

Right-click again for another shot after choosing Rom Information.

Although I expected this was random this is worrying me...it sounds like a processing range conflicts with your processor hardware or something unusually related. We can only hope this won't be too complex.

Slyverious
21st February 2009, 08:03 PM
ok here are the screenshots, thought i must say that "Edit game settings" doesn't show to me, did i did right? well here they are anyways.

HatCat
21st February 2009, 10:39 PM
What is the full file name? In the second screenshot part of it is shown, but try to copy that whole line of text.

Options Settings, Options and uncheck Hide Advanced Settings
This will enable the individual game settings option.

Slyverious
22nd February 2009, 02:14 AM
well here it is, that Edit Game Settings or whatever. and the full file name is

Legend of Zelda, The - Ocarina of Time (USA).zip

that i copy the text from it so there it goes.

HatCat
22nd February 2009, 02:32 AM
One thing worth noting is that our CRCs are different. You likely have an older release of the game before some updated versions (1.2). Try retrieving a dump of this game through another resource.

In that configuration try turning on Use TLB. If you are willing to put up with the slow speed also switch from the re-compiler to the interpreter in the top option. This is for much better stability--possibly even for your system.

Please respond if it does not crash or if it does so that I can try to use this information to narrow down parts of the interpreter's effects to what may be causing your issue and possibly a fix without such speed drop if you didn't get another crash.

Slyverious
22nd February 2009, 02:34 AM
so i guess i have to update the game then? or do as you told me right now?

HatCat
22nd February 2009, 02:38 AM
Updating from version 1.0 to 1.2 is not that important since mostly the developers make certain changes and bug fixes--none of which liable to cause system lockups in emulation--but you can still have a bad dump. This may or may not be just for your future benefit apart from this.

What is really important is that you enable "Use TLB" in the game settings and especially (but at the risk of playing at slow emulation speeds) change "Recompiler" to "Interpreter".

Slyverious
22nd February 2009, 02:42 AM
wow goes slow...lower than 30fps O.o but yes i did what you said so. dunno any other recommendations? to not be so slow

HatCat
22nd February 2009, 02:51 AM
Any speed up methods that do not reverse this stability insurance are rather insignificant in effect. If you eventually get tired of it go ahead and set it back to the re-compiler, but set the following:

Advanced Block Linking: Off
Large Compile Buffer: On
Register Caching: Off
Self-modifying Code Method: Protect Memory

Be sure even the interpreter (which incorporates all of this and more except these options are inapplicable in reality) will not stop a system lock up if these four settings don't succeed.

Slyverious
22nd February 2009, 02:53 AM
ah alright thanks will keep in update if anything else happens

HatCat
22nd February 2009, 02:56 AM
If everything goes good remember that we can use this info for continued narrowing down these modifications to what part of Project64 is at fault exactly. We can use your info whether or not this works.

dsboger
17th May 2009, 06:42 PM
Hi people, i have got a similar problem with PJ64 on my laptop. When I play OoT MQ, i occasionally have a complete system crash. It happened sometimes when i get the sword in the kokiri forest or when i first enter the shop in the kokiri forest. I tried all the indicated stability options with no success.

Sometimes I get a memory dump in a blue screen and others dont. I ran WinDbg in the MEMORY.DMP and got lots of info i dont understand, but it is certainly related to my video drivers. The report is in attachments, but i dont know if it will help. Maybe u can tell if the problem is in the emulator or it is a driver/hardware bug.

Configs: Intel Core2Duo T5450 1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, SiS Mirage 3+ graphics (drivers up-to-date), Windows Vista 32bits Home Premium, Pj64 1.6 with most recent rdb in site, DX10

Sorry for my english, Davi.

HatCat
17th May 2009, 10:32 PM
If you are able to consistently reproduce this crash by area in the game, the case is clear.

I haven't managed to find for you on the Intel site your chip drivers, but probably the best solution would be to (You say they are already updated.) re-install the drivers for your chip-set. The main Intel site at http://www.intel.com provides these.

To be safe, also try changing the graphics plug-in to Jabo's Direct3D6 1.5.2.
Choose "Settings..." from the menu "Options", and change through here the plug-in for graphics.

There is fair chance all of this is not enough...I will need to inform you about installing other plug-ins to change the nature of what your graphics drivers must do here.

On a new note, ever since I have had Vista, there has been some touch in automation and some repair, but I have occasionally had stuttering audio in Winamp with no system response until I move my mouse cursor enough, to find that my display drivers have been restored. There have been many problems recorded to happen concerning drivers with Vista.

dsboger
18th May 2009, 12:21 PM
Thank you for the help!

Ive tried some video plugins and got the following results:

- Direct64, Rice (Dx), and JaboD3D8 consistently crash in kokiri shop.
- Glide64, glN64, Rice (OpenGL) didnt crash, but the overall performance was not acceptable (probably due to the poor OpenGL support of my graphics hardware).
- Jabo D3D6 didn't crash and has acceptable performance, but i have noted some texture glitches.

By now, the last last option is good enough for playing OoTMQ.

Ill post again if something changes.