PDA

View Full Version : Anniversary of 1.6 release

Jabo
1st April 2007, 01:42 AM
April fools day is always a fun time of year, today I just wanted to write up a quick blog about the two year anniversary of PJ's last release, 1.6; We don't have any plans this year to fool you fortunately with any new releases but I wanted to take the time just for everyone to look back at on some of PJ's history and aknowledge how much fun we've had since then. Also if you see any rediculous stuff on the internet, add a comment to this entry we'd love to hear from you. Here's to future releases, cheers!

Smiff_
hah, yes, 1.6 was the only one (including v1.0) I was not involved with up to release, but you did such a great job with Gent, maybe i should stay out of the next one :p 1.6 still seems very popular and that's with only some rdb updates. on the other hand, it's sad to see most of our "competitors" (i mean in a friendly way) seem to be gone - bye 1964, bye Nemu, hello Mupen.. just you, Mupen?) - now it seems even more that we're going on alone. could just be that i'm less concerned with the "scene" now (is there an N64 emulation scene now?!) and more concerned with getting Project64 finished.

anyone might think it's also the 2nd anniversary of the start of 1.7 - but Zilmar was already experimenting with rewrites before 1.6. (the amount of testing means major changes cannot be merged anywhere near a release). we may now be able to get that work into a release. maybe the next release will be more of a 2.0 than a 1.7. in that case, 1.6 stands as fitting end to the first half of the Project64 journey. if you want to get poetic. which i do.
and in terms of todo, 1.0 to 1.6 is only half of what we can do.

so before anyone asks when the next release will be, i will ask you simply: do you know how hard it is to make all this look easy? we're all doing the best we can, and we're older now and can't stay up every night talking for hours like the old days ;) so the support of donators is vital to keep Zilmar going, so let's say thanks to all those people who helped at v1.4 and again have gone rummaging behind their virtual sofa cushions to find a few depreciated dollars for us to .. appreciate? :p.
let's hope we can keep together for another nice release, whenever it's done.

P.S. do i win Most sincere April 1st post ever award? :)

Anonymous
When is 1.7 going to be free to download?

Smiff_
1st April 2007, 01:43 AM
excuse me while i bash my head repeatedly against this (very fine - it's not mine) desk.

Any good April fools jokes this year in the emulation scene?
Any good April Fools anywhere?
ever?
:p

Anonymous
where's the joke ;D

Anonymous
can't wait for Project64 v1.7....this piece of masterpiece is so rarely released the anticipation is thru the roof and then birds, and then sky, and then cloud, then thru stratosphere, then thru space, then thru moon and beyond...

rgg
congratulations for everybody. thanks for project64.

Jabo
1st April 2007, 10:39 AM
I haven't seen any april fools day stuff yet ... yawn

Smiff_
1st April 2007, 01:26 PM
well it's already midday on 2nd in NZ and for Zilmar - too late! now excuse me, have some ideas for the shortcut editor, off to the beta forum..

Anonymous
1st April 2007, 04:51 PM
even Google released an April Fool's joke. Google Tisp... Free broadband through a toilet fiber cable link...

Anonymous
2nd April 2007, 08:27 AM
Thnx for project 64 now i have something to do on my computer besides chat,music etc. o yeah when will 1.7 be released to the public

Anonymous
2nd April 2007, 08:40 AM
i've been a long time supporter since the 1.0 days. was (and still am) a beta tester as well. this is my favorite emulator. not so much because of the n64 console itself, but the work you guys put in the emulator. 2001, it came out, amazing. We're in 2007 so we have the speed to run it at ridiculous resolutions, but on 600mhz systems, it was so sweet. So amazing.

I remember the shock value of seeing Majura's Mask near flawless (though Nemu64 ...i think 0.7a... was the first public release to run it)
I remember how much a huge success 1.0 was.
I remember that the geforce2 chip was the new best thing. =P
I rememeber racking my brain creating a workaround/fix to get textures working properly and a voodoo3 (till i got a geforce)
I remember azimer's 50 different audio plug-ins
I remember smiff's beige and green page, checking it every day.
I remember 1.4 source code release being mixed in with kaillera
I remember the old forum on emulation64 being moved to emutalk.net
I remember emulation64's logo contest
I remember how Zilmar's plugin specs was criticized by other authors and then 1964 supported it and even Nemu64 (who was against it at first) caved in as well.
I remember the whole frame buffer complexities and giving us, the user, the ability to select options (copy/move to rdram) and the endless, endless posts on the forums about it.
I remember Jabo's ever famous video plug-ins and just when you think somebody made a better plug-in Jabo released the newer version. (though some may say Orkin's is better)
I remember when .rdb format came out and .cht later.
I remember when 1.6 was released almost 4 years later when we all heard Jabo and Zilmar abandoned the project.
I remember when the emulation scene was so alive.

Such good times, so much nostalgia. It was great. Thank you guys for all the great moments that have now become great memories.

LazerTag
2nd April 2007, 08:40 AM
Wish I would have stopped here yesterday and saw this.

Oh well how about Top 100 of all time to read through for fun.

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/aprilfool/

Anonymous
2nd April 2007, 05:06 PM
So glad this website has started to update more often. I love the new layout guys. Keep up the good work towards the emulator, I love it! ;D

Trotterwatch
3rd April 2007, 04:48 AM
Been 2 years already :( Crazy

Smiff_
3rd April 2007, 01:11 PM
hi Trotter! how you doing? done much editing lately? ;) ;D

Trotterwatch
3rd April 2007, 02:42 PM
Been better tbh. Not sure what the editing reference means? It's late and I'm tired so perhaps it'll come to me in the morning.

Anonymous
4th April 2007, 05:41 PM
hey smiff i know this ain the place the ask but whene you do check the boxes by the Gameshark codes it shows: Item select(=>?)
i dont know what that means what do i do?

Anonymous
5th April 2007, 09:21 AM
how do you play mario

Anonymous
7th August 2008, 09:17 PM
how come the shit dont finish downloading it stops at 76percent thats bullshit come on man can 1 of yll playaz help me put a comment if u know wutz up an i'll c wutz up

Anonymous
7th August 2008, 09:22 PM
can sum1 help me please all i want is to get dat shit gion dats all i ask and where duh fuk iz everybuddy at

Anonymous
7th August 2008, 09:48 PM
yall pussy bitches fuk yall dont help me den hoes dumasses