PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Dark issues

magmarock64
3rd April 2009, 10:54 PM
Hello there I am new to Forums and is this my first thread. Anyway I play Perfect Dark on P.J.64 and the game crashers, usually when changing levels.
What happens is I would abort or restart mission and the music will continue but the display list would stop. I use Glide64 napalm 1.1 and various audio plugins including Azimer's HLE audio v0.56 WIP 2. My system specs are AMD 6000 duel core . video card 9800 GT 1GB. and 8 GB RAM. OS winXP sp3 if you have any suggestions please let me know. Thanks in advance.

HatCat
4th April 2009, 12:12 AM
Secure the self-modifying memory process for this game.

Choose "Settings..." from the menu "Options".
Check the "Options" tab. Make sure "Hide Advanced Settings" is not enabled.
Apply changes.
Right-click the copy of Perfect Dark installed to Project64's game list browser, and choose setting "Edit Game Settings".
Set the option for a self-modifying code method to "Protect Memory", and apply changes.

If this was already set also try using the interpreter instead of the recompiler.

magmarock64
4th April 2009, 05:44 AM
Tried that and just about every setting there is and the only thing that seemed to help was selecting no sound for a sound plugin. Strange hay?

HatCat
4th April 2009, 04:49 PM
Was the interpreter set instead of the re-compiler?

magmarock64
5th April 2009, 02:05 AM
No it was set to Re compiler

HatCat
5th April 2009, 07:38 PM
Does the interpreter work?

magmarock64
5th April 2009, 07:44 PM
I think so, it runs but it stutters and really isn't playable

HatCat
5th April 2009, 07:48 PM
In those settings make these changes, but set the game to use the re-compiler.

Advanced Block Linking: Off
Counter Factor: 1
Large Compile Buffer: On
Register Caching: Off

This should be slow as well but not as slow as the "Interpreter" setting. If this works, reply so that we can try to narrow down the most efficient configuration to work around this bad point.

magmarock64
6th April 2009, 01:33 AM
It made on difference, I have bean trying to solve this problem for a while now. Maybe it cant be fixed, have you ever had or herd of this problem?

HatCat
6th April 2009, 02:23 AM
Some people have had to use the interpreter to get past this.

If you switch back to that setting one more time you can make a save state. (F5 or create a file through "System" menu.) Change back to use the re-compiler, and load the save state past the point where the crash would have happened.

Since I haven't managed to get the time of others into having my own copy of a save state I haven't had time to reproduce this crash myself. Will you make a save state first before this crash happens and upload it here? You could attach it to your post or use filesend.net.

magmarock64
6th April 2009, 10:54 AM
The game doesn't crash at a specific point, it crashes randomly when changing levels.
This said, it has never crash during play at least not on P.J.64.

HatCat
6th April 2009, 05:24 PM
So upload a save state before a change in level.

Since it's random you at least use save states before finishing each level so you have a backup in case it does randomly crash.

magmarock64
7th April 2009, 07:25 AM
Good idea I didn't think of that, well that seems to have worked for now.
Well thanks for your help and support, I just have few questions before I let this go. The game seems works better with the following settings turned of (Advanced Block linking, Register caching, SP hack) what are these settings and what do they do. I read the manual and still don't get it.

HatCat
7th April 2009, 11:54 PM
I agree that the documentation for Project64 should explain these features definitively rather than experimental observations.

The interpreter is used to directly process the memory in image execution. If dynamic re-compilation is used, N64 MIPS instructions are dis-assembled and re-compiled as x86 hardware instructions for our personal computer systems to process efficiently. Thus the re-compiler is faster but less accurate.

The caching of registers is a common speed optimization method when using a re-compiler but also extremifies slightly its inaccuracy. Even when "register caching" is disabled for Project64 interpreting memory is often still needed to correct some problems. The interpreter doesn't use this technique.

Project64 also implemented a customized signal processing "SP" hack. This does not supposedly increase stability, but those fewer games that boot in Project64 with this setting applied have a very small speed increase. Here again--even after if the game boots--there is also a cost in stability, and once every 36 hours I see Project64 give a SP DMA (signal processor dynamic memory allocation) crash error with obnoxiously distorted audio.

Advanced block linking is not a purist element in emulation, but some times not using this technique prevents re-compilation crashes. This is another setting not applicable when using the interpreter.

squall_leonhart
8th April 2009, 01:08 AM
install the amd dual core driver, or set pj64 to run on only 1 core.

an athlon 6000 is plenty powerful enough to run interpreter at full speed.

magmarock64
8th April 2009, 01:17 AM
I have dual core optimizer installed if that's what you mean. But how do I get P.J.64 to use one core?

squall_leonhart
8th April 2009, 01:38 AM
Task manager, Affinity.

magmarock64
8th April 2009, 03:14 AM
Yes I tried that but it made no difference. The game still stutters like crazy on interpreter. I know the interpreter is the most stable and my computer is fast, so why do I have so much trouble with it.?

HatCat
9th April 2009, 02:11 AM
The interpreter may be more stable (and sometimes give some better results in some inconspicuous aspects), but we are used to using the re-compiler for testing efficient emulation. If you have crash messages it is time to tweak settings such as the interpreter/re-compiler issue, but otherwise there's no real loss in having a lot of backup speed to fast forward and enjoy the benefits of emulation.

You seem to have done a nice job of these configurations yourself at your stage, but if you were to upload a save state before the point in which the crash may possibly happen I would be able to port this to trace more information about it as well as some of the new settings and changes in the beta 1.7 version. I would also check for re-producing this on other emulators and see how they avoid the problem if they can.

magmarock64
9th April 2009, 07:38 AM
Okay I will post a save state file but I've never done this before. I don't know where exactly P.J.64 stores these files, nor do I know how to post them.
I read your earlier post but I'm afraid you're going to have to tell in more detail.
As for testing on other emulators most will not even get to this point and will crash in play.

HatCat
10th April 2009, 12:49 AM
Okay I will post a save state file but I've never done this before. I don't know where exactly P.J.64 stores these files, nor do I know how to post them.
I read your earlier post but I'm afraid you're going to have to tell in more detail.
As for testing on other emulators most will not even get to this point and will crash in play.

I will do everything I can. I know other emulators that run this game.

All saves are stored in the folder "Project64\Save". The save states you work with are the zipped PJ image files.

You can send these to me using the attachment feature in this forum system, or you can link me to it uploaded on http://www.filesend.net.

thorgrim103
10th April 2009, 02:03 AM
i remember getting this game my dad got if for me i pawned it since I DON't have a expansion card. man i need one so badly.so i can play majoras mask.and dk 64

HatCat
10th April 2009, 02:27 AM
Majora's Mask? If you haven't played that game, man that is bad. Even (or maybe should say especially haha) if you're completely unfamiliar with the Zelda series, this game seems to surge with memory and dark energies. You gotta try it.

Can you emulate it? If you have a ROM dump the expansion pak can be emulated of course.

magmarock64
10th April 2009, 02:38 PM
I seem to be having trouble doing this, I tried to attach the file but it was rejected, and file send said that I need to send it to an email adders, but when I Checked the zip file it was empty. Anyway I'm now trying to max out the graphics and picture quality, but I'm confused when I up the settings the game lags, but the emulator wont use more power! why? it use's less than 50% of my CPU. again I have 8 GBs of RAM and, a 9800 GT with 1 GB of video memory. Why wont it use that?

HatCat
11th April 2009, 02:43 AM
FileSend should give a download link when uploading is completed. You can also try Megaupload ... http://www.megaupload.com.

Posting the download link here allows me to access it.

thorgrim103
11th April 2009, 04:56 AM
see i dont want to play majoras mask on the emulator one the 2d effects are messed up with my black box 2d sprites also you get a better experience on the real console and my problem with playing it is that it's EXPENSIVE

i get 60 percent of my games as GIFTS. also the last copy of MM i saw at a used games store is not there any more. so yeah. i was going to get re2 but they didnt have it any more which sucks( gamecube or ps2 port) i got super punch out since my dad doesnt like spending like 30 dollars for ff6/4 or 4/2. my main problem with games is money. any way's i pawned perfect dark and

my misconception about the expansion port was i though it was like each game had a SPECIFIC EXPANSION CARD that held the games extra data not knowing it was just a ram booster.
i like to write allot.

magmarock64
11th April 2009, 09:19 AM
FileSend should give a download link when uploading is completed. You can also try Megaupload ... http://www.megaupload.com.

Posting the download link here allows me to access it.

Hang on a second I think I'm on to something.
Oh by the way, as for playing Majora's Mask on P.J.64 use the following plugins Glide64 Napalm 1.21 or better, and Azimer's HLE audio v0.56 WIP2) and no matter how you set your video plugins, override with your video card control panel for best quality, if your computer can handle it (works best with Nvidia). as for ROM settings Counter Factor 1, Change Memory $ Cache, 8 MB. Except for Larger Compile Buffer, everything else off and UN ticked. It should play better on P.J.64 then on the Nintendo 64. Next time please use a Zelda forum for this sort of questions.

thorgrim103
11th April 2009, 07:19 PM
i've said it to thousands i cant run opengl my low end pc cant run it.

magmarock64
12th April 2009, 07:01 AM
Oh sorry well in that case here are some options for you to consider. 1. Get it on wii virtual console. 2. Game Cube collectors disc if you can find it! 3. On a Nintendo 64. 4. upgrade your PC. I would choose 3 because a good PC has lots of opportunity especially for emulation. My PC cost less then $2000 Australian dollars which means that it wold Probably cost approximately $1000 US dollars.

mraics67
19th January 2011, 08:49 PM
hello can enybody helpas: so I installed project64_1.6 version in my
laptop so have a (hp pavilion: the windows 7 ultimate 32bit intel core
2duo cpu T7300 @ 2.00GHz) so I wos playing rom Perfect Dark and the problem is mouse is useless can this fixed ???
enyone ?? help??

Natch
19th January 2011, 08:52 PM
No. Just leave already, we know what you're problem is, and if you stopped asking us then maybe you would have gotten some help. STOP ASKING THAT QUESTION AND OPENING UP OLD THREADS. DIE

HatCat
20th January 2011, 04:58 AM
hello can enybody helpas: so I installed project64_1.6 version in my
laptop so have a (hp pavilion: the windows 7 ultimate 32bit intel core
2duo cpu T7300 @ 2.00GHz) so I wos playing rom Perfect Dark and the problem is mouse is useless can this fixed ???
enyone ?? help??

You old fool!!
You actually enjoy putting me in suspense like this, don't you??

*Mr. zilmar's just smiling like hmm kinda*

Nah I mean whoever's behind that crazy-ass account.

Natch
20th January 2011, 06:13 PM
Samlaptop? Zilmar? I wouldn't be surprised if it was my little bro :rolleyes:

... I think I'd better check...

HatCat
21st January 2011, 04:19 AM
That's probably what made it stop posting that for now. :D

Think about it. He said "laptop" and "mouse".
She or he is obviously plotting against me. I wouldn't be a damn bit surprised if it was someone related to either one of them.

Natch
21st January 2011, 01:53 PM
Upon further inspection it was revealed not to be my little brother. Darn, I coulda stopped all this :P

HatCat
21st January 2011, 08:33 PM
Does that mean it was you?

Natch
21st January 2011, 08:41 PM
Uh uh uh no....

No it wasn't me :P Nobody that I know.

HatCat
21st January 2011, 08:48 PM
Well you can't know everything about yourself. It may not have been you, but also I think that at some point it was. :eek:

Natch
21st January 2011, 09:12 PM
I don't think so :P

HatCat
21st January 2011, 09:29 PM
Well maybe not right now you don't. :rolleyes:

Natch
21st January 2011, 09:30 PM
I would have known if it was me :p

HatCat
21st January 2011, 09:31 PM
Yeah? Maybe you did know.

Natch
21st January 2011, 09:37 PM
~_~ it wasn't me.

HatCat
21st January 2011, 09:45 PM
Oh. Well I guess that settles that.

mraics67
27th January 2011, 11:44 PM
sou finally I installed the NRage_DInput8_V2_2.1 but problem is i want to play perfect dark with´s i use my keyboard and mose there is a few setting or configuration problem.
I want to play just like has same is the nindendo 64 game, mean it will run´s a same so whats should i do help????

HatCat
28th January 2011, 02:51 AM
sou finally I installed the NRage_DInput8_V2_2.1 but problem is i want to play perfect dark with´s i use my keyboard and mose there is a few setting or configuration problem.
I want to play just like has same is the nindendo 64 game, mean it will run´s a same so whats should i do help????

vvv

Natch
28th January 2011, 02:56 AM
Heh, he don't need our help. Little by little he searches out threads and leaves his mark, and little by little he gets his own problem solved.

How touching :o

BANZ NOW

HatCat
28th January 2011, 02:57 AM
Careful; RadeonUser might ban you again if he reads that.

Natch
28th January 2011, 03:00 AM
he hasn't banned this profile :D But your right, if he has a sense of humor like I do, I'd ban myself just because I said that :/

Hey rad:

RESPECT

HatCat
28th January 2011, 03:03 AM
If there was any respect that guy would have been banned by now so that these threads would stop becoming undead.

SPECTRE

Natch
28th January 2011, 03:05 AM
What's good to kill the undead? Hey Iconoclast, toss me that grenade!

RECEPTS

HatCat
28th January 2011, 03:07 AM
One fatass grenade coming up.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3093/megafatass.png

Natch
28th January 2011, 03:08 AM
http://www.lahc.edu/classes/chemistry/arias/nuclear-explosion.jpg

HatCat
28th January 2011, 03:09 AM
That's some pretty powerful shit.

Natch
28th January 2011, 03:10 AM
There is more nuclear energy in a fat smile than in an H-bomb.

HatCat
28th January 2011, 03:35 AM
Especially if the fat smile belongs to a fatass.

Natch
28th January 2011, 03:38 AM
especially that. Cupcakes and smiles have a lot of nuclear energy.

HatCat
28th January 2011, 03:39 AM
So do :eek: PERFECT DARK ISSUES :eek:.

Natch
28th January 2011, 03:41 AM
Being on>topic is fun!

HatCat
28th January 2011, 03:47 AM
Which must make this boring I guess.

mraics67
28th January 2011, 01:01 PM
hello: http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=36135/ there´s i downloaded the
n-ragev2.2.1.rc3 files I installed and it work´t fine but that http://www.randomwisdom.com/files/NR...g_KeyMouse.zip
dint work sou I dont know is that latest version ???

mraics67
28th January 2011, 09:34 PM
how do use the mouse and keyboard has a joistic when i played my perfect dark in my laptop ?? so ill try out the n-rage v2.2.1.rc3 but it seam´s to be a problem with the settings
I also put the one file (nrage doc) in to project64 document folders and odher file in to the
(NRage_DInput8_V2_2.1.dll) to plugin folder and when i launch ed project64 and go to the settings i have this in my screen.it seam´s to be workt and when i downloaded a
www.randomwisdom.com/files/NR...g_KeyMouse.zip and go to the configure plugin controller and load the key-mouse file it doesn't work at all