PDA

View Full Version : Texture Pack support Round II! Fight!

Jabo
9th April 2007, 11:50 PM
Before we start with the best part of this blog series, if you haven’t read the first part I suggest going back a few posts and doing that, its kind of a prerequisite.
Now that our textures are baked … er dumped, we have made a replacement for a texture and we want to test it out in a game, we take the replacement texture of the same name and place it in the textures-load folder underneath the PJ installation folder. This is a simple, yet effective way to start testing new images, no fuss just – moving files. 32-bit RGBA PNG files are supported … as well as the preferred format of DXT compressed textures since they are significantly smaller and load fast.
To make a bunch of textures into a pack you simply put them into a zip file, with a file in the root called 'pack.xml'. As you can guess PJ supports the ability to load textures from a zip file, so you don't have to extract hundreds of images as well. Below is an example pack.xml from a mario kart texture pack.
<?xml version=&quot;1.0&quot; encoding=&quot;UTF-8&quot;?>
<pack>
<supported>
<rdb>C3B6DE9D-65D2DE76-C:50</rdb>
<rdb>2577C7D4-D18FAAAE-C:50</rdb>
<rdb>6BFF4758-E5FF5D5E-C:4A</rdb>
<rdb>C9C3A987-5810344C-C:4A</rdb>
<rdb>3E5055B6-2E92DA52-C:45</rdb>
</supported>
<author>Kerber2k</author>
<version>1.2</version>
<description>Mario Kart Pack</description>
</pack>
This complete package defines what games it applies to, as well as who created it. For a user who downloaded this zip file to their desktop -- they can either right click in the rom browser and select &quot;Install Pack&quot; from the menu or manually move the ZIP file into the textures-load folder.
http://www.pj64-emu.com/administrator/components/com_joomlaboard/uploaded/images/browser_rightclick.jpg
This next part is cool, and one aspect I&rsquo;m particularly happy with. To use the texture pack right click on the game you want to play and click &ldquo;select texture pack&rdquo; as shown above.

http://www.pj64-emu.com/administrator/components/com_joomlaboard/uploaded/images/browser_select.jpg
This dialog will show you all the available texture packs available for the game that you selected as well as the one currently in use for that particular game. The nice part about this is you can have multiple packs installed for multiple games at once.
So in closing, this is one feature people have wanted the PJ core team to have for a while, I know it took a long time but I think it was well worth the wait

Anonymous
Hey, you should make it for .RAR also, that's what most texture packs are saved as, I've never come across any .ZIPS yet. Just a suggestion.

Anonymous
Mmmhmm, it was WELL worth the wait. Finally, I don't have to use Rice's plugin if I want texture replacement!

Smiff_
the texture pack picker (there's a mouthful) might be the place to put an uninstall button (with confirmation) too? just something that came up on our forum recently :)

Anonymous
10th April 2007, 12:18 AM
Sounds good. Can't wait to try this out with some texture packs! GJ!

Anonymous
10th April 2007, 02:56 PM
is it possible to put hi-res textures into the game, maybe to make the games *prettier* or do they have to have the same geometry in memory as the original textures?

How about 2D on-screen overlays? For instance, I have been playing tetrisphere lately, and while I can crank the resolution to make the playfield look great, the overlays like the points tally, timer, etc. are all blocky, and even worse, made muddy by the 2xSai smoothing I have turned on. (I'm not using project64.) Anyway, if you could clarify a little, I'd really appreciate it, and if it is the case that hi-res textures DO work, and the overlays CAN be replaced, I think you guys just found a new best friend.

Regards,
Charles

Smiff_
10th April 2007, 03:00 PM
Charles, yes absolutely they can be a higher resolution. with DXT they can be a *much* higher resolution without performance suffering too much. we used to have a limit of power of 2 textures (like 16x16 or 64x8, but up to 512 or way higher than the N64) but i think anything divisible by about 4? is allowed now. (jabo?) it will be mapped to the same space as the original.

yes 2d stuff can be retextured also :)

we might get some screenshots out to show off some of this, it can look great but takes a lot of work in a paint application.

Chesso
10th April 2007, 04:17 PM
Hi smiffy, it would be great to see some shots at some point, so people can see exactly what can be done with this.

Regards
Chesso

Anonymous
10th April 2007, 10:35 PM
Is DirectX9 supported in Project64 1.7 ?

mudlord
10th April 2007, 11:33 PM
Yes, DX9 based plugins are supported. However, Jabo's plugin still uses DX8 :)

Jabo
11th April 2007, 09:52 AM
I really do want to put up screenshots of some packs in action, but the current situation is dicey at best, some authors have released packs for the beta program unofficially and I dont want to start posting screenshots without a more official release so to speak -- even worse some of the packs I've manually put together as getting the original authors on board at this stage has proven difficult. But I'll take the suggestion and maybe put up a few in due time.

TomatoShadow
11th April 2007, 03:05 PM
Oh, that's for the free version? I was wondering! Now that will be helpful for a bunch of people!

Anonymous
13th April 2007, 05:53 AM
Nice Thank u verymach

Anonymous
14th April 2007, 01:56 AM
when the Jabo's plugin will support DX9 ?

mudlord
24th April 2007, 02:15 PM
I don't think it will ever support DX9. DX8 already supports what Jabo needs for emulation, so I think him porting his code to DX9 won't make much of a difference. Besides, the only real benefits for DX9 are multiple render targets, builtin support for HDR, and custom HLSL pixel shaders (for cel shading and other post-processing graphics filters). And those things aren't really needed or important for emulation, when Jabo can do hardware framebuffer emulation already via DirectX8, plus other things....So basically, I don't see the point of him changing, unless cel shading is considered important for emulation lol ;D

Anonymous
8th May 2007, 05:53 AM
please enter no code:vf4/lo entar serale loclization english work la porcrid e emulation dx9,snes

Anonymous
8th May 2007, 08:02 AM
Project64 v1.6 (the free version) supports this texture pack without any 3rd plugin (just with the jabo plugin) or I need the v1.7?

mudlord
8th May 2007, 06:28 PM
PJ64 1.7 is needed for the new texture pack support. PJ64 1.6 will refuse to load the 1.7 beta's plugins, so beta 1.7 is needed.

Anonymous
11th May 2007, 11:40 AM
i want codes for the legend of zelda majoras mask

mudlord
14th May 2007, 07:08 PM
i want codes for the legend of zelda majoras mask

The codes for Majora's Mask are built into the
"Project64.cht" file...

Anonymous
18th May 2007, 07:38 PM
I think this texture replacement is a wonderful idea, as it can really breath new life into games that were decent to play, but perhaps lacking in the texture department. Quest 64 immediately comes to mind. It would be nice if there was a gathering place where some of us could contribute and corroborate in order to prevent mass chaos with random texture packs being released with inconsistent/partial replacements. Also, rather than having everyone extract the old textures on their own, it would be fantastic if some technically inclined volunteers could do this so that the more artistically inclined can have easier access to them for comparison purposes. I just wish that there was a way to specifically identify a texture on the screen by name so that it would be easier to see the orientation and use of it so that some more creative changes can be made, rather than just an increased resolution copy of the original.

Anonymous
21st May 2007, 09:08 AM
I really do want to put up screenshots of some packs in action, but the current situation is dicey at best, some authors have released packs for the beta program unofficially and I dont want to start posting screenshots without a more official release so to speak -- even worse some of the packs I've manually put together as getting the original authors on board at this stage has proven difficult. But I'll take the suggestion and maybe put up a few in due time.

well i have a vid of this really broken game i might wanna MSN you it Superpuyobros@hotmail.co.uk

Anonymous
29th May 2007, 10:42 AM
Well if you know the n64 community these days especially the WWF No Mercy community, they use Rice's plugin which is now never updated since a few years ago.

Will the textures made for Rice plugin also be compatible with this new feature? If so, do the images need to be renamed or will they work even without renaming. If the community would need to rename all their textures that would totally suck.

Anonymous
8th June 2007, 04:53 AM
im trying to get it in my plugins part but why is it not allowing it?

Anonymous
25th July 2007, 06:58 AM
eu quero o jogo de nitendo 64
:D

Anonymous
1st August 2007, 07:46 PM
camo descargo zelda

Anonymous
16th August 2007, 08:58 AM
fgdgdf >:(

Anonymous
1st September 2007, 10:22 AM
como descargo mario 64

Anonymous
1st September 2007, 10:28 AM
kiero pero no me se en program pa el pjs 64 :-\ =)

Anonymous
3rd December 2007, 05:26 PM
:-\ I'm confused. What do you do exactly with the xml file? What do you type in it to make it compatible with my game (Zelda: Ocarina of Time)?

Anonymous
10th December 2007, 06:37 AM
Complete Noob here who failed programming like no other. Anyways, I get the xml file for the most part, with the proper rdb and whatnot, and I can even install the texture pack. However, when I go to select one, the only texture pack option available is None, and not the texture pack I installed earlier. I certainly believe it has to do with where I'm placing the xml file, but I'm not 100% certain. Could someone explain what this root file is supposed to be and where it goes? Halp please? Thanks.

Anonymous
13th May 2008, 01:04 PM
quiero el juego deunabes portodas >:( >:( >:( >:(

Anonymous
20th June 2008, 12:13 PM
It's Hard!

bizzle64k
18th July 2010, 04:51 AM
how do you download games

Emmett
18th July 2010, 03:37 PM
how do you download games

You don't. Or at least, you don't ask on forums.

Look at the last post for instructions on where to go to back up your own games, which can then be played on the computer.
http://forums.ngemu.com/misc-n64-discussion/130569-make-my-own-n64-roms.html

HatCat
18th July 2010, 04:49 PM
Heh yeah basically the same method as how you "download" your own textures / make your own packs. :/