PDA

View Full Version : possible 64 bit?

ziggyw
18th April 2009, 02:51 PM
I was wondering if it would be possible to make a 64bit version of PJ64. I'm a complete newb when it comes to programming languages and compiling them, so I have no idea if what I'm asking is a crazy suggestion or not.

I just thought I would ask about that since most systems coming out now have multi cored cpu's and over 4gb of ram. I personally just got a new laptop with a 64bit OS installed, and I really couldn't see myself going back to a 32bit os (hardware willing).

However like I said I'm not one for programming languages so I have absolutely no idea how crazy my request would be from a programming aspect.

squall_leonhart
18th April 2009, 04:47 PM
Theres absolutely no point.

ziggyw
18th April 2009, 05:48 PM
well, thats good enough for me lol. You guys can go ahead and delete this thread if you want.

dgtb1994
2nd May 2009, 05:09 PM
Theres absolutely no point.

Why is there no point?

tuffguy45
28th May 2009, 11:20 PM
While the benefits can be argued, in general 64bit applications run "better" than their 32 bit counterparts because they "move" more memmory at once (32bits more actually ;)

From a coding point of view I can understand why it wouldn't be worth it but, to say a 64bit application is the same performance wise as a 32bit is just wrong.

Shadud
30th May 2009, 12:18 AM
Why is there no point?

I would say because Project64 would not benefit from the 64bit architecture.

wuhlei
10th June 2009, 06:26 AM
While the benefits can be argued, in general 64bit applications run "better" than their 32 bit counterparts because they "move" more memmory at once (32bits more actually ;)

From a coding point of view I can understand why it wouldn't be worth it but, to say a 64bit application is the same performance wise as a 32bit is just wrong.

but the information is still processed one at a time? I heard in some situations 64 bit apps can slow down the system and is really only good for addressing over 3gig of ram?

mudlord/RED
10th June 2009, 09:32 AM

If you are so sure, post benchmarks that prove as such that PJ64 WILL benefit from a complete rewrite. You are not forgetting you have to rewrite the core entirely to take advantage of it though.:rolleyes:

wuhlei
12th June 2009, 06:27 AM
check this out

What is the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows?

The terms 32-bit and 64-bit refer to the way a computer's processor (also called a CPU), handles information. The 64-bit version of Windows handles large amounts of random access memory (RAM) more effectively than a 32-bit system. For more details, go to A description of the differences between 32-bit versions of Windows Vista and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista online.

Would I benefit from using a 64-bit computer?

The benefits are most apparent when you have a large amount of random access memory (RAM) installed on your computer (typically 4 GB of RAM or more). Because a 64-bit operating system can handle large amounts of memory more efficiently than a 32-bit operating system can, a 64-bit system can be more responsive when running several programs at the same time and switching between them frequently.

For more information about the benefits of running 64-bit computers, see Understanding 64-bit PCs online.

Stewie
22nd June 2009, 08:04 AM
a 64bit emulator could fully emulate the 64bit instructions on the n64 which could yield greater emulation accuracy, although it would require much more memory.

does make sense a 64bit "64bit console" emulator, although would require a code rewrite.

Stewie
22nd June 2009, 08:14 AM
check this out

"typically 4 GB of RAM or more"

pj64 doesnt use 4gb + memory, when i run Perfect dark it only eats about 100mb of memory - i dont see pj64 taking advantage of that much memory

pcvii
3rd August 2009, 03:54 PM
It does seem like the jump from 32 bit to 64 bit, is a bit slower. I mean it seemed like when we went from 16 bit to 32 bit, it feels like it was overnight almost in comparison.

As long as support remains for 32 bit instructions we don't have much to worry about. Someday we might need a windows 32 bit emulator to run project 64. Maybe then they will come back after another long break of coding and give it another overhaul.

squall_leonhart
3rd August 2009, 04:39 PM
a 64bit emulator could fully emulate the 64bit instructions on the n64 which could yield greater emulation accuracy, although it would require much more memory.

does make sense a 64bit "64bit console" emulator, although would require a code rewrite.

not all points of the n64 are 64bit, making this invalid.

secondly.
Doing so would render every 3rd party plugin incompatible with the emulator, and like anyones going to be bothered going back and 64bitting every frickin plugin that anyone is ever going to use.

Zeth Alkar
4th August 2009, 01:34 AM
I see no point in rewriting an entire emulator just to run the same damn thing in 64bit mode, cause the people who have processors that CAN run 64bit mode OS's are already waaaay over the specs to begin with. SO POINTLESS THREAD IS POINTLESS.

UltraG4m3rR225
17th August 2009, 12:15 AM
wtf?

Nintendo 64

This is an Emulator of the N64 which means its the exact same graphics

no point of posting this
can someone PLEASE close this thread?