PDA

View Full Version : Please Explain

magmarock64
24th April 2009, 03:49 PM
This is a thread for those who wish to be more advanced users especially me.
What Iím asking for is some kind of decimation of the advanced ROM settings tab for 1.7 beta, you see Iím experimenting with Beta to get the best performance out of my ROMS.
Please take the time checkout my RDB file. Still a work in progress it should make some games work a little better, and remember to backup your old one.

if youíre wondering why you canít use the cartridge save in perfect dark itís because it helps prevent the game from crashing, youíll need to use a controller pack.

HatCat
25th April 2009, 02:54 AM
At least the instant save mappers can definitely store enough information to consistently result in crashes.

There have been some RDB overwrites around here--none of which really having touched Perfect Dark. In the time I should return to look at this more, what usually helps is a change log describing what modifications you have made from the original file just for testing clarity.

magmarock64
25th April 2009, 08:41 AM
It wont be easy to document all the changers I've made to the RDB file, because I've made quite a few changers to quite a few games one of which is Conkers Bad Fur Day. I had trouble getting this game to work on counter factor 1 but I fixed it with physical look up table and start change. they helped but I have no idea what they do?.
I'm now trying to do the same thing to Zelda OOT.

HatCat
26th April 2009, 07:18 PM
The physical and virtual mapping references are part of a switch for memory emulation added to the beta of Project64...if you can set these they will often, on their own variance based on the game, change speed and stability.

"Start changed" is a revised setting of one of the self-modifying code method checks.

magmarock64
26th April 2009, 07:24 PM
Thanks but what I really need is some kind of document explaining all this. In the mean time here is a new RDB file for you to play with.

HatCat
26th April 2009, 08:00 PM
Beta additions are not yet documented because betas are experimental. In the cause of configuring games with such changes testers are expected to learn about them by trial and error if not more capable.

You should try to document your changes so people know whether to trust it.

magmarock64
27th April 2009, 03:25 AM
I will start logging changes as I do them in the game core comments section. Seems the easiest way to do it.

HatCat
27th April 2009, 11:56 PM
Of course compile those notes in posts on this forum as well, since most games already have values for the core comments in the RDB file--leaving no indication of what you changed, at least before using WinMerge or something.

magmarock64
28th April 2009, 03:35 PM
Well most of the changes I'm making is to force games to run on counter factor 1. Because CF 1 mostly gives the best frame rate. But sometimes games don't like CF 1 so I try to fined a way for it to work on CF 1 sometimes I succeed other times I don't, but I always try. Because I'm always changing things it may take while for me to list the changes I've made. The changes I've made so far is I manged to get GoldenEye to work on hires textures and CF 1. and I got Conker's Bad Fur Day on CF 1 and F Zero and some others that issues with CF 1.